• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man Judy's monologue was so fucking good. Observe and Report is a fantastic movie

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird that there is virtually no hanging threads to kick off from for a season 2, when Vice Principals had an insane cliffhanger.
Vice Principals was originally conceived as a movie and they ended up writing and filming the entire thing at once. Very different. RG is more like EB&D, though I agree they really wrapped it up nicely as if they wrote it thinking HBO may not extend them. They did have to do a pilot before the first season was ordered so maybe they were kept on a short leash.

They've set up the world and the characters now. I'm excited to see what they do with it. One of the best things about McBride et al is they're willing to take the story in weird directions. You've gotta think they'll introduce a competing megachurch with a well-known actor as the head and serving as a villain..... but who knows.

I was not expecting that to be the funniest episode of the season. The entire Outback Steakhouse scene was incredible. Judy > everyone else

I liked that it was a happy ending, but am interested in what they have in store for next season. Danny McBride said he always envisioned it as a multi-season show, so they do have an idea of where they're headed even though it seemed like everything was wrapped up tonight.
Yeah, easily the funniest episode and probably my favourite outside of the flashback episode.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great finale. Surprised how conclusive it feels given McBride has been pretty candid about wanting this to go for a while. Looking forward to whatever they have in store next year.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Does anyone else think the mom is still alive. She's the only character that is portrait as holier then shit, so I can see her popping up being as bad as the rest of them. I have a feeling she faked her own death to get out or something because the doctor didn't check for a pulse at the end manually and the bee woke up uncle baby billy so I can see it doing the same for her.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think the mom is still alive. She's the only character that is portrait as holier then shit, so I can see her popping up being as bad as the rest of them. I have a feeling she faked her own death to get out or something because the doctor didn't check for a pulse at the end manually and the bee woke up uncle baby billy so I can see it doing the same for her.

What?

No. She's supposed to be the good one of the group. Without her the family is lost is the whole premise of the show.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe in ever saying a hard no, but considering the talent, their history and evolution, and the tone of the show I would think it's one of the least likely things. McBride is not above something like that but it would be played for 100% comedy and considering the amount of drama and pathos stemming from who she is and what her loss means it wouldn't be very funny.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

She's presented as so amazing that as soon as she's gone, her loved ones can't handle losing her. It happened to Baby Billy, and it happened to her family.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
BJ and Judy are absolutely hysterical together. I can't even imagine what they've got cooked up for future seasons.

"BJ, I need to tell you: part of my pajama pants are drenched right now. And it's not drenched with pee."

"It better not be, Judy Gemstone. You save that piss for my chest."

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I need to go back and gif that Earring reveal of BJ's. It's glorious.

Judy's Outback Steakhouse speech...was something. Nothing she said was what I was thinking she was about to say.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BJ and Judy are absolutely hysterical together. I can't even imagine what they've got cooked up for future seasons.

"BJ, I need to tell you: part of my pajama pants are drenched right now. And it's not drenched with pee."

"It better not be, Judy Gemstone. You save that piss for my chest."
The cop trying not to listen but overhearing everything was priceless.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The finale was maybe the best episode. Great stuff. That Judy story was fucked up!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Pretty amazing first season and really perfect finale. I didn't expect to enjoy this show as much as I did but it's incredibly well conceived. I can't imagine where they want to take it for a season 2 but I'll be there.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, the Judy monologue.

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Onion A|V Club review
THR: 'Righteous Gemstones' Breakout Opens Up About His Lovable Ex-Satanist
Well, about the finale: First off, just logistics-wise, we're supposed to believe you're floating in a tub full of milk, correct?

Yeah, but maybe there's also some sort of psychedelic component or that liquid makes the high that much better? That's how I interpreted it, that in order to become the Baby, you have to be fucked up out of your mind and you have to be in that tank full of whatever — 1 to 1000 ratio of molly and warm milk. But in reality, it was disgusting. It was half water and half Elmer's glue.

And that's gotta be a weird day on set …

For one, I had to use a pint of lubricant to get into that latex suit, and once I'm in the suit I gotta put on that scuba mask, and I can't hear anything cause my ears are under the glue-water. And then it's like, "All right! We're gonna do this scene where you're high out of your mind but it's possibly a confirmation of [Keefe and Kelvin's] love for one another." I remember after the second or third take Jody [Hill, who directed the finale] was like, "Damn! This is so emotional!" (Laughs.) And it is, right? And Adam and I were both teary-eyed post that scene and we're like, "This is ridiculous!" I'm in a red latex suit with my dong out and we're both basically crying. (Laughs.)

FastCo: Here's how the unforgettable bee scene in 'The Righteous Gemstones' finale came together
NYTimes: 'The Righteous Gemstones' Season Finale: Danny McBride Testifies
The creator and star of the HBO comedy talked about the Season 1 finale, struggling with church as a child and an interesting query he received from Kanye West.

EDIT:
Q: Judy's monologue in the finale … I don't even know how to describe it. How much of that was improv?

A: That was Edi, 100 percent. It was originally a monologue that she wrote for Episode 6, when she was going to kind of have this dark moment where she explained this love story to B.J. [Tim Baltz, who plays Judy's fiancé], and it didn't end up working in there. That monologue, when Edi wrote it the first time, just made me die. I was, like, crying when reading it. I always wanted to make sure we captured it on film, so we squeezed it into the finale. We were able just to let the cameras roll, and just let her crush that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the supplemental material Cornballer , Love when you post those in general, but this set knocked it out the park. Highlights for me were Keefe's actor and finding out that Edi wrote Judy's monologue, like that it impressed Danny enough he found a way to use it even though it didn't make the intended scene, it was that good.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Legendary.

This may be one of my favorite episodes ever of all of the McBride/Hill stuff.

That "baby is sleeping" scene had me in tears

edit:
I was surprised at how well everything wrapped up too, but I think the lack of a cliffhanger made it all the more better. Legit felt like a series finale vs. a season finale

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm Say Anything. I was gonna to throw rocks at your window and play Indoor Eyes until you woke up, but the security guard shot my speaker."

I didn't catch "Indoor Eyes" the first time around, but that's what he says. 🤣

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I think it takes a little more time to hit it's stride than the previous shows due to the number of characters but it gets there by the end of the season.

I thought it ultimately ended up as Danny's best work to date. Him, Jody, and DGG keen ability to mix hilarity with heartfelt melancholy is astounding at points. Vice Principals is still a great experience but Gemstones became something else by the end. An evolution of his previous works maybe but a deft one.

Take the Misbehavin' episode. The song is inherently funny (didn't even know Edi Patterson co-wrote it) and actually really good but the end scene with Walton Goggins thinking of his late sister almost broke my heart. Danny and company understand humanity in all it's funny and tragic turns.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it ultimately ended up as Danny's best work to date. Him, Jody, and DGG keen ability to mix hilarity with heartfelt melancholy is astounding at points. Vice Principals is still a great experience but Gemstones became something else by the end. An evolution of his previous works maybe but a deft one.

Take the Misbehavin' episode. The song is inherently funny (didn't even know Edi Patterson co-wrote it) and actually really good but the end scene with Walton Goggins thinking of his late sister almost broke my heart. Danny and company understand humanity in all it's funny and tragic turns.

Couldn't have said it better myself (and I sure have tried).

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this after putting it off all week, absolutely hysterical finale.

I'm willing to bet Season 2 just starts by having John Goodman's character die and just absolutely jump start this series to the next level. Every one is gold but Goodman as a dude I can see him just cutting loose on his own volition and leaving a mark because he knows it.

I think there's a ton of funny as fuck shit they can do that doesn't have to hover around an extortion plot. And Baby Billy is still rockin'..

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished ep3, was overjoyed to see Goggins. It has gotten better with each episode, but I am still not enjoying it as much as Vice Principals. Happy to hear it was renewed for a second season, though, because judging from the comments it just keeps getting better and better.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Just have to say as a Charlestonian watching this show is a real treat. Danny Mcbride has brought the area to the big screen more than probably everything before him combined.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got around the watching the finale. Absolutely phenomenal stuff. What a great season. The McBride/Hill/Gordon Green trio is unstoppable. 3 for 3 on HBO.

The thing that stands out to me is that Gemstones has a lot more heart than their previous shows. Vice was incredibly mean-spirited (and amazing for it) and Eastbound was much more of a straight comedy with an irredeemable lead. Gemstones has its mean spirited moments and some sketchy characters, but overall it's a pretty hopeful take on family dynamics.

All 3 shows are so different and all 3 are so great.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. MIS-BE-HAVIN!!!

Judy at first kind of annoyed me then I came to really like her. Overall pretty good. Uncle Baby Billy was on and off again for me. Sometimes he worked, sometimes he didn't imo

Interested to see where they go in S2.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this. MIS-BE-HAVIN!!!

Judy at first kind of annoyed me then I came to really like her. Overall pretty good. Uncle Baby Billy was on and off again for me. Sometimes he worked, sometimes he didn't imo

Interested to see where they go in S2.

I thought maybe a season two trailer had dropped from this bump.

Has there been any news on that front?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought maybe a season two trailer had dropped from this bump.

Has there been any news on that front?
What lush said. It's delayed quite a bit, but we might get a Christmas episode before S2... maybe.

McBride: "We have a script and HBO's into it and we're into it, but we'll see if we're able to pull it off. Because of some actors' availability and some stuff, we really won't be shooting the second season until the beginning of next year, but in the meantime, to get our crew back to work and to give audiences another piece of the Gemstones, since they won't get it this year, I've written a Christmas special that we're going to try to shoot and it will be an hour long and about a two-week shoot, so hopefully, we get to do it!"

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘The Righteous Gemstones’: Jason Schwartzman, Eric Roberts & Eric Andre Join Season 2 Of HBO Comedy As Recurring

Jason Schwartzman, Eric Roberts and Eric Andre are set for recurring roles on Season 2 of HBO's comedy series The Righteous Gemstones.
Schwartzman will play Thaniel, a journalist working on a story about the ministries. Roberts portrays Junior, who grew up with Eli and suddenly re-enters his life. Andre is Lyle Lissons, a megachurch pastor from Texas who befriends Jesse and Amber.

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything I am hearing.

Except "production is currently underway", but that doesn't surprise me.

February 2022 air date seems attainable?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome to hear. I just recently watched the first season and saw when it came out and was afraid they just weren't going to do any more.