• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ripi5u6z.png

Hey all,

First things first, I don't want this thread to be about piracy-talk. At the contrary, I'd like this thread to be a tool for anyone who'd like to tackle emulation with their own games. In many, if not all emulation threads there is the infamous and automatic piracy talks/accusations flying off everywhere and essentially derailing the main topic from what could most probably be an avoidable debate. Of course, piracy is a thing, it exists and there's not much to do about it, especially with the consoles related to this thread. My point is that all ROMs are easy to find on the internet if you want one, this isn't the thread for this. This thread is for emulation enthusiasts and newcomers who are looking for tools to build a ROM library they can feel entitled to play on any device of their choice because the files come from the physical good they own.

So this thread will cover pretty much all of my knowledge and other members inputs about how obtain the precious files from your cartridges/CDs/DVD to be able to play it on the device/emulators of your choice. I learned a lot since I started to collect video games and many times I shared the most I could in my previous threads but I thought that doing a main, overall go-to thread would be a fine idea as well. As I said, this covers my knowledge, but I'm not perfect, while I try to explain everything as simply as possible, I welcome any additional inputs and methods you guys will offer and gladly add these to the OP. :)

Here we go!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

(The Kazzo is SOLD OUT --- For alternative, see Retro Freak at the bottom of this page.)

Ripping NES cartridges can be quite a difficult process, but rewarding in the end once you nail it. I made a thread in the old forum along with a tutorial about how to use the Kazzo, the device I used to rip my NES library. I'll just take the text from there and quote it here.

I always was an emulation enthusiast and when I heard this thing existed a few weeks ago, I ordered one instantly! I always wanted a way to be able to rip our NES cartriges. I have a Retrode+Plug-ins for SNES/GEN/N64/GB and I was kind of losing hope for everything NES-wise because I heard the only way to rip an actual cartridge was to possess a copyNES, which is a NES modded with an USB port in the back and those are quite rare nowadays.

But now this problem is gone because we have the Kazzo NES Dumper-Programmer (but I'll only be talking about the dumper part here.) and it is quite cheap for a minimum of 20$ (without shipping) for the device equipped with the 72-pin input, add 5$ and you'll have a FC input, another 5$ and it's an extra SNES input (though this one seems to be mostly for programming.). The Retrode alone is something around 75$ so the Kazzo, while it's a bare bone board, is quite cheaper and does the job quite well.

Since ripping NES games with this thing (Well, ripping NES games itself never was an easy task.) ain't so easy and I needed quite a bit of time yesterday to learn how to use it. I decided to make a tutorial for it since there doesn't seems to be any on the whole internet, so it'll make life easier for everyone that's interested I guess.

BABY STEP

Really, because if you don't have this you won't be able to do much since it's not included with the device. You'll need an A/B USB cable. Buy it while you're waiting for the thing to reach your mailbox, you'll be salty if you're last minute.

rSxM381.jpg

STEP 1

You got your Kazzo, prepare your body for a long session of ripping and make sure the switch on the board is at RUN and not BL.

3NdHlud.jpg

STEP 2

You'll need the firmware/software package: Click here for download.

Plug your Kazzo in your PC (it won't recognize at first, it's totally normal) and start this file that will install the necessary drivers for your PC to recognize it. You're supposed to see the Kazzo in the plugged device list and you only have to choose it and click 'next'.

Tn6dD7V.png

STEP 3

Now that it's done, the Kazzo doesn't work like the Retrode. It won't get recognized as an external hard drive to only copy/paste the ROMs out of it. You have to run this program right here (anago_WX)

4Iwmfen.png

STEP 4

Equip your Kazzo with one of your favorite games, let's say...Mega Man V!

JF0Q0V3.jpg

STEP 5

The thing with NES games is that many of them are programmed differently and have different sets of chips that are in those. So you have to know which games have which scripts. At first I was going the try/error way but I found a complete list which is perfect.

Here's the list in question.

So all you need to do is to find your game in this list and choose it's corresponding script in anago_wx. Then all you need to do is to choose the folder where you want your ROM to be and give it a name.

B2mi1HX.png

STEP 6

Rip dat ROM mah man.

A62M4jw.png

After this all you need to do is to test it with an emulator of your choice. If it doesn't work, try to clean your cartridge's contacts with a Q-tips and alcohol, it makes all the difference, even if it looks clean, count on me.

9ULZcyl.jpg

STEP 7

If all seems to work fine, rinse and repeat for all your other games!

Enjoy having your own library of digital NES games, you can now play those on your PC, smartphone, Ouya or modded console in the most legit way and in the best image quality possible! :D

xokCjTb.png

Thanks to everyone at Infiniteneslives for making this possible! Here's where you can buy it (Apparently SOLD OUT --- For alternative, check the Retro Freak at the bottom of this page.): http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux3.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPER NINTENDO/GENESIS/GAME BOY (COLOR/ADVANCE)/ NINTENDO 64

(Excluding N64, these console can also be covered by the Retro Freak at the bottom of this post.)

Now with a device that cover a lot of cartridge based consoles. The Retrode.

The Retrode basically allows you to rip both SNES and GEN cartridges, but later after its creation, add-ons for GB, SMS and N64 were developed for it. I only own the GB/N64 ones though. Here a few show of the thing and what it looks like with cartriges and add-ons snapped on it.

It works quite simply: All you have to do is to snap your cartridge in it, plug it in your computer via a Micro USB cable and take the ROM file from the Retrode as if you were taking a file from a USB dongle.

The Retrode also have GEN/SNES controller ports directly on it so you can play your freshly ripped games with the original contoller right away. The N64 add-on also have controller ports for the same purpose.

You can learn everything about it and where to buy the Retrode on https://www.retrode.com/

You can also buy a Retrode here while stocks lasts. https://www.dragonbox.de/en/183-cart-reader

---GB/GBC Everdrive 64 method---

There is also an alternative to extract GB ROMs if you have the Transfer Pak and a Everdrive 64, you can find the tutorial right here: http://micro-64.com/features/gbromdumping.shtml

(Thanks to Rich! for adding this extra method to the bunch!)

---N64 Action Replay Pro method.---

Rich!;201962615 said:
You can rip N64 ROMs with an Action Replay Pro via its parallel port.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30904

DREAMCAST

There are only two ways to rip your DC games:

Using a broadband adapter and transfer the disc's data to your computer via internet. You don't want to use the default line connection, it'll go at 40k/sec and it'll make your Dreamcast work for way too long (24h a game compared to 20 minutes with the BBA.).

-You'll have to use a program httpd-ack (Click here to download) and burn the CDI file on a CD-ROM
-Burn the selfbooting .cdi
-Use the Broadband Passport disc (or any similar) to configure a STATIC IP address to your Dreamcast. No need to configure DNS, Gateway and stuff like that.
-Connect Dreamcast to the PC. If connection is not through router (ie if cable from Dreamcast goes directly to LAN port of PC), use a crossover cable.
-Fire up httpd-ack on your Dreamcast. If everything went fine, it will come to rest on a simple screen with some green text on black screen. At this point, remove the httpd-ack disc and replace with GD-ROM you want to dump.
-Fire up a web browser on the PC and at the address bar type http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where the XXX represent the static IP address you gave to your Dreamcast before. For me it's 10.0.1.2, but it depends on how you have your network setup.
-Tracks will appear as links on your browser screen. Click them one at a time to download. Don't attempt to download more than one at a time, this is impossible and httpd-ack won't allow you to. Of course you can queue 'em up if you like, using any download manager you prefer.
-Wait until everything has downloaded to the PC. Waiting time is about 20-25 mins for a complete GD-ROM.

You will also be able to get the DC_BOOT and DC_FLASH files you need to run NullDC with the BBA method. These are available to take from your console each time you're ripping a game.

If your download of the disc's image ends up failing, it probably is because it is damaged at some place, and DC discs are very sensitive, so it can be almost nothing that will make your download crash at the same place, everytime.

There is also the SD card ripping method, with which you will need an SD card adapter that will go in the back of the dreamcast.

NINTENDO DS

Introducing the SMS4

Not really complicated either, the thing comes with a software you need to install and then use it to extract the .NDS ROM files where you need to.

I think the more difficult thing is to actually find a trustable website to buy it. I found mine there...but don't hold me responsible if anything happens to you as I took a chance buying from a chinese website like that. http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=440

If you have a more trustable source to buy it please let me know and I'll add it to the thread.

NINTENDO GAMECUBE/WII

This time I will let the tutorial made on GAF handle it, because this already is a very detailed and helpful tutorials. Please look into this.

(If any ERA staff isn't comfortable with the fact that I share a GAF tutorial, do not hesitate to contact me and I'll remove the content.)

As for Gamecube games, after your Wii is homebrewed, you can download Cleanrip which will rip the ISO on your USB dongle just like USB-Loader does.

You can find Cleanrip here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cleanrip/downloads

XBOX

Just like Dreamcast GD-ROMs, the XBOX games discs aren't readable by your usual DVD drive.

Basically, you need to have a modded XBOX on which you can connect via FTP (I use Filezilla) and then you can access the disc drive and transfer all the files from the disc directly to your PC's HDD. The disc simply needs to be inside the XBOX while it is booted and connected to your router. Normally your mod software will show you an IP address which you shall use on Filezilla to connect to it (ID: xbox/ PW: xbox). In my case, the disc folder shows itselfs as D:/. For example, here is me currently ripping my Ninja Gaiden Black disc.

This is a long process, Ninja Gaiden Black alone can take up to 3+ hours to be entirely ripped.

Now, if your XBOX isn't modded, it isn't too hard. What I'll share here is an easy way to softmod your XBOX, no need for hardware. :)

What you need:

-A copy of the first Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
-A modded, USB capable controller or a modified cable that's basically XB to USB female, easy to find on Ebay for very cheap.
(Example: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-XBOX-US...ox-Adapter-Cable-Convertion-Line/332437790656 )
-An old USB dongle (ideally 512MB).

Now here a link to an instructable that gives out all the steps to get it done, considering your thumbdrive is already loaded with the needed files, softmod can be done in less than 15 minutes!

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Easiest-Way-To-Soft-Mod-An-Original-XBOX/

PC ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX-16 (Thanks to Catabarez for this process!)

First, you need to buy the Tengu PC Engine ROM Dumper. I got mine from:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_19&products_id=200

The purchase includes what is pictured here.

5cb580c9a200238527c8b63x92.jpg

The dumper
A flash cart to test the ROMs on an actual system
and a USB A to B cable.

Dumping a PC Engine game is very simple. All you need to do is

Connect the Tengu to your computer
Open up the new Removable Disk
Open the"DUMP" application
Name the ROM and choose where you want it to save

After your done, a window will pop-up that looks like this:

pce2hyrix.png

Now you can enjoy the game on your emulator of choice.

Dumping Turbografx-16 games is a little more involved, since the dumper cannot auto-detect the US ROMs.

You'll need to download an application made by the creator of the Tengu. You can find it on his website:
http://www.famulator.com/

Click the first link called "Tengu Project", then click through until you see "pce/tg16", open the folder and download pcelite2.

Open the application and this window will appear.

turbografx1xyrlt.png

From here, it'll be the same process as dumping a PC Engine game; dump the ROM then Save As.

Unfortunately, the ROM it generates will not work with RetroArch (at least that was the case for me). There is just one more step to get a Turbografx ROM to run properly.

In the pcelite2 window, click on "Tools" and this window will appear.

turbografx2eiry1.png

Make sure that "Format to PCE" is selected and click "Conversion"

Now you need to select the Turbografx ROM that you just dumped. It's going to generate a new ROM, so you can name it something different if you want or just overwrite the old ROM completely.

And that's it! Now the US ROM should work with RetroArch and even the TurboEverdrive.

PC-ENGINE CD

To play your precious copy of Rondo of Blood on PC you will need an extra software that specifically rips PC ENGINE games, Turborip. The usual disc image software can't deal with PCE discs.

You can find Turborip and how it works here: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/turborip-v140/

PLAYSTATION(2)/SATURN/SEGA CD

As for these, you can simply get the ISO by placing your disc in your PC's disc drive and rip the image via X software. As for me I use Imgburn which you can find here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

THE RETRO FREAK (NES/FC/SNES/GENESIS/GB/GBC/GBA/PCE)

retrofreak.jpg
Important note:
While the Retrofreak does rip the ROMs of the cartridges you put in it, it will encode those so that they only work on your RF console and nothing else, which can be a total dealbreaker. Will update this note if there is a way to bypass this encoding.

The Retro Freak is an all-in-one console similar to the Retron 5, but it has one key feature over the Retron 5: The capacity to backup the cartridges into an SD card. It can become a crucial ripping tool if you have a big retro collection and you're looking for an all-in-one solution.

You can find more information about the Retro Freak here: http://pqube.co.uk/retro-freak/

So that's it as for what I know, like I said, if you have any idea to add in there, don't hesitate to post it here and I'll gladly add it to the OP. This is a thread that is meant to expand by users inputs,so never hesitate to post or contact me! :)

Last but not least, I'd like to share my apologies to the community, I did transfer all my previous threads from the old place here except for this one. I've been procrastinating a lot lately because life is more hectic than when I initially created this thread 2 years ago. I promised users here that I would do it quickly and failed to so and I felt it was important to say it.

Long live preservation and emulation!

Last edited:

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Finally! I've been waiting months for this thread to return.

It should be noted that you can rip DS (and 3DS) games using a 3DS nowadays, and it might also be worth adding info on how to dump PS3 games, since RPCS3 has been making some really good progress right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally! I've been waiting months for this thread to return.

It should be noted that you can rip DS (and 3DS) games using a 3DS nowadays, and it might also be worth adding info on how to dump PS3 games, since RPCS3 has been making some really good progress right now.
I appreciate your enthusiam! :D

And yes, I definitely will upgrade my OP as time passes. I'm doing a little road trip this week end to have my OG Xbox modded to rip my library, will take notes at the guy's place and share the info here.

Also thanks to Bomblord 's thread I learned that the Retrode is back in stock at Dragonbox, if anyone wants to grab one now is the best time.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/183-cart-reader

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How have I never seen this thread before? Why is it in the hangouts section?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Any chance for an in depth 3DS ripping tutorial? I have a basic idea of how to do it based on some google searches on modding the 3DS and ripping but I'm wanting to get into Citra and get a 2DS specifically to mod but don't wan to invest that much money into something I'm not confident I can do.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Alright time to ask an actual question in this thread. I just received a Retrode 2 however upon insertion into my PC I get an error "Power surge on USB port Unknown device needs more power than the port can supply" this is when connected to a Dell Optiplex 7020 on Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Edit: The power cable they sent me was bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance for an in depth 3DS ripping tutorial? I have a basic idea of how to do it based on some google searches on modding the 3DS and ripping but I'm wanting to get into Citra and get a 2DS specifically to mod but don't wan to invest that much money into something I'm not confident I can do.

Ask and you shall receive, I just added a 3DS tutorial and spent lots of time ripping games today.

I wanted to do this since a good while, so thanks for mentioning it! I'll be playing lots of Citra tonight.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ask and you shall receive, I just added a 3DS tutorial and spent lots of time ripping games today.

I wanted to do this since a good while, so thanks for mentioning it! I'll be playing lots of Citra tonight.

Awesome thanks. Now I just need to get a 3DS >.>

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just deleted the 3DS ripping tutorial. It was an utter failure which I tried way too late. I tried using Braindump with the Ninjahax method to avoid having to install a custom firmware on my 3DS. Turns out that you do need to have a firmware to be able to have legit 3DS ROMs, which I don't really plan to do. So if anyone wants to share something they did, please do, I'll share it here.

Long story short, I got hyped to get a file out of a process, I ripped a big part of my library on a slow day....

Without testing anything on Citra first.

Letting that slide for months, because busy life and stuff.

Then comes the wake up, testing time! To realize that braindump is an outdated program for which Citra doesn't support the .CXI files anymore, and those cannot be converted to any compatible format, well, from all the programs I searched for and tried.

Conclusion: Always test the very first ROM you rip to see if a method works. :lol

Oct 28, 2017
Found a bunch of my brothers' Commodore 64 tapes yesterday. From googling, it seems the way to rip them is just recording them as audio from a tape deck, but there doesn't seem to be many guides on the specifics (like if sampling rate is important, what format they should be in, how to actually use them in an emulator).

Anyone got tips?

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Thanks for this wonderful resource, Seik . When I have spare time I'd like to contribute the ripping process for PSP and/or PSX and PSP games downloaded from PSN. Even though it's relatively trivial for most people.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for this wonderful resource, Seik . When I have spare time I'd like to contribute the ripping process for PSP and/or PSX and PSP games downloaded from PSN. Even though it's relatively trivial for most people.

Please do, I tried a while back and it didn't seem to work right so I would be interested in a proper tutorial.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
NINTENDO DS

Introducing the SMS4

Not really complicated either, the thing comes with a software you need to install and then use it to extract the .NDS ROM files where you need to.

I think the more difficult thing is to actually find a trustable website to buy it. I found mine there...but don't hold me responsible if anything happens to you as I took a chance buying from a chinese website like that. http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=440

If you have a more trustable source to buy it please let me know and I'll add it to the thread.

So I was looking at this and was considering buying it. I clicked "Paypal" and it told me that I needed to email them the purchase number and then wire them the money or something like that. I was able to go back and use my credit card but it actually said purchase complete after clicking paypal so I'm a bit confused

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking at this and was considering buying it. I clicked "Paypal" and it told me that I needed to email them the purchase number and then wire them the money or something like that. I was able to go back and use my credit card but it actually said purchase complete after clicking paypal so I'm a bit confused

Whaaaaat? That didn't happen to me...

However, this tutorial and website I linked, this dates from years ago, like 1 or 2 years before the GAF migration, so it's possible that things changed a bit, I also always thought that website was a bit shady, but it was my only way to have one and it worked. :P

Perhaps it shows that the purchase is complete on the website, but the paypal transaction isn't completed? That just a theory though.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

However, this tutorial and website I linked, this dates from years ago, like 1 or 2 years before the GAF migration, so it's possible that things changed a bit, I also always thought that website was a bit shady, but it was my only way to have one and it worked. :P

Well we'll find out if I get it or not. Haven't received a confirmation email but it specifically said it will take up to 24 hours. Worst case scenario I cancel my credit card and get a new one so nothing of importance lost.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Perhaps it shows that the purchase is complete on the website, but the paypal transaction isn't completed? That just a theory though.

Looks like the payment is showing up and I received an order confirmation email. So as far as I can tell it's on the way. Really interested in trying some DS emulation.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread OP.

I think your old tutorial for the Kazzo was what got me to buy one and help me dump most of my games to put on my Powerpak. I probably used one of your guides to learn how to dump my Gamecube and Wii games with homebrew, too.
There are some games though, that even if I knew what mapper they were, just wouldn't come out right. (Dr. Mario is one I remember off the top of my head. I could never get it to work properly). It hasn't worked for me since a windows update, so I think I need to try and restart the tutorial and make sure I do all the steps over.

The retrode package with all the plugins seems really attractive to me, but I keep just hesitating for some reason (probably not smart on an item that'll probably go OoS sooner or later). I'd like to be able to dump my N64 games, and while I don't have many Gameboy games now, I think I might start getting more and more as time goes on.

Also, I never knew you could rip games with the RetroFreak. That thing all of a sudden got way more interesting to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this thread OP.

I think your old tutorial for the Kazzo was what got me to buy one and help me dump most of my games to put on my Powerpak. I probably used one of your guides to learn how to dump my Gamecube and Wii games with homebrew, too.
There are some games though, that even if I knew what mapper they were, just wouldn't come out right. (Dr. Mario is one I remember off the top of my head. I could never get it to work properly). It hasn't worked for me since a windows update, so I think I need to try and restart the tutorial and make sure I do all the steps over.

The retrode package with all the plugins seems really attractive to me, but I keep just hesitating for some reason (probably not smart on an item that'll probably go OoS sooner or later). I'd like to be able to dump my N64 games, and while I don't have many Gameboy games now, I think I might start getting more and more as time goes on.

Also, I never knew you could rip games with the RetroFreak. That thing all of a sudden got way more interesting to me.

The fun thing with the Retrode is how easy it is to operate, you plug it and boom*** you just take the ROM out of the cartridge as if it was on a USB dongle.

***: Considering the cartridge connected properly to the Retrode. If not you'll notice something fishy on the file's name or its size.

I have the exact same problem with my NES cart of Dr. Mario, never managed to rip it properly, which is a shame. All my other games worked though.

Also, thanks for the kind words. :)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I got the DS ripper USB, have it plugged it (a red light blinks a single time) and then I get an error when I open the included software that says "No slimloader USB FOUND!"

Edit: It seems the driver is not installed. I tried manually running the installation file and even using windows to install it through the device manager. The install file throws a generic error just saying it didn't work. Windows pulls the device name properly and starts the install but then just says "cannot find the file specified"

Edit 2: Seems I need to disable driver signature enforcement which requires removing secure boot and finding my bitlocker recovery key to unlock my device >.>

Edit 3: Yea that did it works now.

Last edited:

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I think something relevant to add to this thread would be ripping your save files. I just recently backed up some of my ancient PS2 save files by launching uLaunchELF and copied everything to a USB drive using psuPaste. I was then able to use the resulting files as virtual memory cards in PCSX2. The same process can also work with PS1 memory cards, or you could use an Arduino and rip the files without needing a console.

3DS has JKSM for ripping saves if you have custom firmware installed. You can then transfer this to a PC via either removing the SD card and reading it normally or through FTP with other homebrew.

For Vita, there is Vita Save Manager, which requires you have some form of Henkaku running.

GameCube saves can be backed up on Wii using GCMM, yet another homebrew software. Do note that your Wii will need GameCube ports to read GC memcards; later Wii models and the Wii Mini lack these ports.

Wii U has Saviine.

There's this entire Era thread dedicated to ripping your N64 save files.

Systems like PS3 and Wii allow you to copy save files to external storage natively. On PSP you can connect it to a PC via USB and transfer saves no problem.

Nov 1, 2017
It seems the Retrode is getting harder and harder to come by lately. I've picked up several N64 Cartridges this past year and was considering backing up my library to an Everdrive. I would also love to backup my GC Games, but my Wii stopped reading all discs years ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems the Retrode is getting harder and harder to come by lately. I've picked up several N64 Cartridges this past year and was considering backing up my library to an Everdrive. I would also love to backup my GC Games, but my Wii stopped reading all discs years ago.

Yeah, ever since the Official Retrode website stopped distributing it, the most reliable source is Dragonbox and it's...not so reliable, as in they don't often have it or the adapters in stock. :(

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I....can't believe that I missed this thread, entirely, for months.

Apologies if I've missed it somewhere in the details, but does the Retrofreak require you to choose the chipset? I ripped my entire library using the Kazzo last year, but said NES library has grown a bit since then.

Frankly, the process was a bit of an annoyance (sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, terrible luck with some chips), and I'd LOVE to not have to do that again.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've finally gotten a 6TB hard drive and steam rom manager to make a massive personal videogame library, but I've found retro freak encodes any rips so that the roms don't work on any other platform. :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've finally gotten a 6TB hard drive and steam rom manager to make a massive personal videogame library, but I've found retro freak encodes any rips so that the roms don't work on any other platform. :(

What?? This is absolute bullshit.

I just took a read on it after multiple google search and...yeah, that seems to be the case. Apparently someone worked to bypass that, but the github page is all in japanese so I'm not sure how you could work with that.

I'll share anyway though, check this post.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16994

I took a look around and apparently there does exist some sort of jailbreak that allows for proper dumping (as well as other apk installations, so the thing definitely runs just emulators via ARM).

https://github.com/hissorii/retrofd

Not sure how all this works, but atleast it is possible.

Please share your results if you end up trying it! I'll leave a note on my OP for the moment.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
What?? This is absolute bullshit.

I just took a read on it after multiple google search and...yeah, that seems to be the case. Apparently someone worked to bypass that, but the github page is all in japanese so I'm not sure how you could work with that.

I'll share anyway though, check this post.

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16994

Please share your results if you end up trying it! I'll leave a note on my OP for the moment.

Sorry to dig this up, but I could never get the github downloads to work. Do you know if there's a reliable way to rip from the retrofreak? NES topping hardware seems real hard to come by these days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to dig this up, but I could never get the github downloads to work. Do you know if there's a reliable way to rip from the retrofreak? NES topping hardware seems real hard to come by these days.
Sorry, I have no idea, I don't have the Retrofreak myself. I'm more into FPGA consoles. :P

On another note, I just bought a Retro AVS which is on it's way to me, bought a few NES games such as Blades of Steel, Mickey Mouscapade and Gradius and brought out the Kazzo. It's been so long since I last used it that followed my tutorial here! :lol

Some of the download links I did put for the Kazzo aren't working anymore, but I still have those on my PC, if anyone ends up needing anything, let me know and I can email em!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry, I have no idea, I don't have the Retrofreak myself. I'm more into FPGA consoles. :P

On another note, I just bought a Retro AVS which is on it's way to me, bought a few NES games such as Blades of Steel, Mickey Mouscapade and Gradius and brought out the Kazzo. It's been so long since I last used it that followed my tutorial here! :lol

Some of the download links I did put for the Kazzo aren't working anymore, but I still have those on my PC, if anyone ends up needing anything, let me know and I can email em!

I've had to follow my own tutorials for ripping before too xD

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

lmao. Everytime I feel like trying to rip NES games I have to look up your tutorial about the Kazzo. Unfortunately I find it just too much trouble than its worth these days and just skip ripping my NES games. I'll just actually remove the Powerpak from my AVS and plug in the cart (I friggen love my AVS by the way! Hope you like yours too! AVS controller is my new favorite NES controller now too, but it takes a while to get "used to").

I wish you could rip using the AVS. On the old NintendoAGE forums (RIP) there was a thread asking if it would work with the CopyNES software since when you use the Leaderboard software to record your scores to post the the AVS NES Leaderboards (again, RIP my 4th place Super C Leaderboard spot... 4.5 hour run just gone now :/ ), but unfortunately it does not. I would periodically check in on that thread to see if it got the attention of bunnyboy (the man behind the AVS) but it never did.

Man... I so freaking wish you could dump games with the AVS like you can with the nt mini! Or a consolation prize would be an NES plug-in for the Retrode, since I have one of those now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. Everytime I feel like trying to rip NES games I have to look up your tutorial about the Kazzo. Unfortunately I find it just too much trouble than its worth these days and just skip ripping my NES games. I'll just actually remove the Powerpak from my AVS and plug in the cart (I friggen love my AVS by the way! Hope you like yours too! AVS controller is my new favorite NES controller now too, but it takes a while to get "used to").

I wish you could rip using the AVS. On the old NintendoAGE forums (RIP) there was a thread asking if it would work with the CopyNES software since when you use the Leaderboard software to record your scores to post the the AVS NES Leaderboards (again, RIP my 4th place Super C Leaderboard spot... 4.5 hour run just gone now :/ ), but unfortunately it does not. I would periodically check in on that thread to see if it got the attention of bunnyboy (the man behind the AVS) but it never did.

Man... I so freaking wish you could dump games with the AVS like you can with the nt mini! Or a consolation prize would be an NES plug-in for the Retrode, since I have one of those now.

I've been sleeping a while to bring it out again too, I also had copies of StarTropics and BattleToads & Double Dragon I bought years ago to do...so for 5 games it was worth the hassle imo!

It's not THAT complicated though, but it can be depending on the game...I still can't dump my copies of Dr. Mario and Tetris because while the list I linked shows them as MMC1, they're actually SEROM, I tried a script that I found on the NESDEV forum but I can't even get the program to start the dump with it. On a positive note I found a AOROM script that got me to dump my BattleToads & Double Dragon copy, I'll write it here so there's another way for people to find it if someone looks for it on the internet. There's a fair share of Nintendo games that uses that script so I'm surprised it's not there by default.

Just create this file, put it on the anago folder with the other scripts and it'll show on the dropdown.

aorom.ad
Code:
board <- {
   mappernum = 7,
   cpu_rom = {
      size_base = 2 * mega, size_max = 4 * mega, banksize = 0x8000
   },
   ppu_rom = {
      size_base = 0, size_max = 0, banksize = 0
   },
   ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
  for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
    cpu_write(d, 0x8000, i);
    cpu_read(d, 0x8000, 0x4000);
    cpu_read(d, 0xc000, 0x4000);
  }
}

In the meantime, I'm still on my quest to find a working script to dump those Dr. Mario and Tetris copies. :(

------

Also visited the Kazzo website to notice there's a new design with lots a new cartridge slots, called the INLretro Dumper-Programmer

Interesting, may check it out soon! Seems to be a bit of a hassle since you have to edit the headers of each dumps yourself though.

NLretro programmer-dumper

• Software does not fully support all cartridge connectors:

• NES & Famicom have the highest level of support being able to write/dump most of the flash boards we sell.
  • SNES/SFC has some support to write/dump to the HiROM & LoROM boards we sell.
  • There is currently no software support for reading/writing to gameboy/GBA, Sega Genesis/MD, nor N64 cartridges.

• Dumping of carts generates binary rom image only, headers must be added manually.

• See host/scripts/nes in the gitlab project for a list of currently supported mappers.
  • Backing up of cartridge save ram is NOT currently supported.

• Host software is currently command line only, there is no GUI (graphical user interface).

• The main inlretro.lua script must be modified to select input/output files, cartridge type, & mapper script.
  • Planning to utilize wxLua for multi-platform compatible GUI when the time comes.

• There is currently no enclosure for the device

• 6 little rubber feet are provided to keep connector solder pins from scraping your table top.
  • We're planning to manufacture lasercut/3Dprinted enclosures in time for final release, will be making these available to be purchased separately.

• Due to hardware incompatibilities, this device is NOT compatible with the anago/unagi software & scripts that were commonly used with the kazzo devices we sold prior to 2018.
  • STM32F070RB microcontroller featuring:
    • 32bit ARM Cortex M0 running at 48Mhz
    • dedicated USB 2.0 full-speed interface
    • 128KByte Flash & 16Kbyte SRAM
    • High GPIO count many of which are 5v tolerant
  • Proper cartridge connector pitch and power supply for all systems
    • 72 pin NES: 2.50mm @ 5v
    • 60 pin Famicom: 2.54mm @ 5v
    • 62 pin SNES/SFC: 2.50mm @ 5v
    • 64 pin Sega Genesis/MegaDrive: 2.54mm @ 5v
    • 50 pin N64: 2.50mm @ 3.3v
    • 32 pin Gameboy/GBA: 1.50mm with software selectable 3v (GBA) to 5v (DMG)
  • Consider selecting all cartridge connectors to help future proof your purchase
    • In the future we may release 'daughter boards' connecting to the Gameboy/GBA slot to adapt with original controllers to USB, or expand on board memory.
    • At some point it may be possible to connect with Sega Master System cartridges using a PowerBase converter in the Sega Genesis connector.
    • Some day it may be possible to connect a Famicom Disk System to the famicom slot and support reading/writing famicom disks..?
  • Open source software & firmware release: gitlab project
    • Software is compatible with current INLretro design & old kazzo devices.
    • Currently supports Windows & Linux, may support for mac but only a small amount of testing has been done to date.
    • Host software runs entirely in lua, with exception low level USB calls in C.
    • Feel free to hack away, ask questions, and contact us if you have improvements you would like to contribute.
  • Includes 1ft/30m USB cable.
    • Optional upgrade to 3ft/1m USB cable.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Also visited the Kazzo website to notice there's a new design with lots a new cartridge slots, called the INLretro Dumper-Programmer

Interesting, may check it out soon! Seems to be a bit of a hassle since you have to edit the headers of each dumps yourself though.

Yeah, once you get in a rhythm I guess it really ain't that bad, it's just I dunno... it feels like more and more work nowadays for some reason.
I think that new INLRetro programmer is why they don't host the files for the old kazzo anymore, since they don't work with the new thing. I tried getting the new software working with the old kazzo, but wasn't able to get it to work either.

I gave up on Dr. Mario since I figured out how to dump the .nes file from the NES Classic lol. I'm pretty sure I remember I pinged you about that in some random ass thread a while ago for like... no reason lol.

On that note, I figured out how to rip the games from the SNES Classic too, but it was a lot more involved since I had to rip the files which were SFROM (if I'm remembering right), then run those files through some Wii U Virtual Console ripper thingy to get usable roms. Pretty tedious for me to figure out (and I can't get into too much detail because it's been so long I would have to figure out what I did all over again lol), but a good side effect was that it helped me figure out how to rip my Wii U VC games, so now I have roms for Mystical Ninja and Dracula X that I can play on my Super NT.

Oh right! I saw this video a while ago from youtuber This Does Not Compute about a Game Boy game ripper that looked pretty neat.

God! Why isn't there anything like this for NES games (I think I know the reason, I'm just being over-dramatic lol)!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on Dr. Mario since I figured out how to dump the .nes file from the NES Classic lol. I'm pretty sure I remember I pinged you about that in some random ass thread a while ago for like... no reason lol.
Heh, good idea, I might just do that, I have a NES Classic too, hacked and everything. Just never thought about it!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just wanted to share (and continue to bemoan the lack of interest in this thread probably due to its location).

I picked up a Playstation Classic at the dollar Store (yes dollar generals are selling them now) and ripping the ROMS is a cakewalk. Basically a an incredibly cheap 20 game bolster to your library. It's also by far the easiest way to get a legal PSX BIOS

In order to mod a PSClassic use any generic USB 2.0 flash drive.

- Format it Fat32
- Name it SONY (all caps this is important and case sensitive)
- Plug it into a PS classic controller port 2 with these files (extract them from the zip folder first).
- Power on the PS classic (hit the power button)
- Wait for it to finish (you can watch the progress if you plug it into a TV)
- Then unplug it, plug the POWER USB connector into your PC, and then power it on again (wait for it to go to orange and for it to be on the main menu).
- Once it hits the login screen (roughly 20 or so seconds) use an SFTP client (ex winscp) to this address 169.254.215.100
- username root there is no password (leave blank and hit enter)
- Once in the games are in the gaadata folder as well as the BIOS files and you can literally drag/drop them to your PC

Total time for this is <20 minutes if you don't run into any issues.

Detailed instructions (or if that link is dead/there is a newer version) can be found here https://modmyclassic.com/bleemsync/

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to share (and continue to bemoan the lack of interest in this thread probably due to its location).

I picked up a Playstation Classic at the dollar Store (yes dollar generals are selling them now) and ripping the ROMS is a cakewalk. Basically a an incredibly cheap 20 game bolster to your library. It's also by far the easiest way to get a legal PSX BIOS

In order to mod a PSClassic use any generic USB 2.0 flash drive.

- Format it Fat32
- Name it SONY (all caps this is important and case sensitive)
- Plug it into a PS classic controller port 2 with these files (extract them from the zip folder first).
- Power on the PS classic (hit the power button)
- Wait for it to finish (you can watch the progress if you plug it into a TV)
- Then unplug it, plug the POWER USB connector into your PC, and then power it on again (wait for it to go to orange and for it to be on the main menu).
- Once it hits the login screen (roughly 20 or so seconds) use an SFTP client (ex winscp) to this address 169.254.215.100
- username root there is no password (leave blank and hit enter)
- Once in the games are in the gaadata folder as well as the BIOS files and you can literally drag/drop them to your PC

Total time for this is <20 minutes if you don't run into any issues.

Detailed instructions (or if that link is dead/there is a newer version) can be found here https://modmyclassic.com/bleemsync/
Thanks for sharing and the step-by-step. I might go through this the next couple days when I have some free time.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone have any luck getting the SMS4 working in Linux? The PC I went through and disabled driver verification for no longer is with me and I don't want to go through that process again if possible. I've also lost the documentation that came with the DS cart ripper.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any luck getting the SMS4 working in Linux? The PC I went through and disabled driver verification for no longer is with me and I don't want to go through that process again if possible. I've also lost the documentation that came with the DS cart ripper.
I just had to format my PC recently because I got some hard drive issues...

I'll see if I still have the SMS4 software somewhere in there and link them to you via my onedrive if I do. However I'm not sure if it'll work on Linux, as it already was a relatively painful process for Win 10 last time I tried. Had to start the PC in Safe Mode to install the drivers.

Thanks for the PS Classic tutorial btw, I'll add it to the OP shortly. :)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I just had to format my PC recently because I got some hard drive issues...

I'll see if I still have the SMS4 software somewhere in there and link them to you via my onedrive if I do. However I'm not sure if it'll work on Linux, as it already was a relatively painful process for Win 10 last time I tried. Had to start the PC in Safe Mode to install the drivers.

Thanks for the PS Classic tutorial btw, I'll add it to the OP shortly. :)

Thanks I appreciate it.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

responding to my own question, there does seem to be an English language custom firmware now:https://www.retrorgb.com/retro-freak-cartridge-dumper.html

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I remember reading somewhere that there are a set of known blu-ray drives that can rip PS3 games. Seeing as that would be way cheaper than an actual PS3 I've been thinking of trying to get one. Anyone know what those drives are?

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I remember reading somewhere that there are a set of known blu-ray drives that can rip PS3 games. Seeing as that would be way cheaper than an actual PS3 I've been thinking of trying to get one. Anyone know what those drives are?
The list per RPCS3 is here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart. This is the one I personally use. I had one issue where the Ratchet and Clank collection won't rip, but I've ripped several games successfully.
20200209_141121tukcb.jpg

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The list per RPCS3 is here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart. This is the one I personally use. I had one issue where the Ratchet and Clank collection won't rip, but I've ripped several games successfully.
20200209_141121tukcb.jpg

This it?
www.ebay.com

LG BE14NU40 External Blu-Ray Writer With Power Cord Tested Works | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for LG BE14NU40 External Blu-Ray Writer With Power Cord Tested Works at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
How often does the Retrode Gameboy and N64 adapter get restock on StoneAgeGamer? Every time I check they are always out of stock.