• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bet it had initial concept art without Palpatine as the main villain and they want everyone to believe it was "the plan the whole time"

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact about Trevorow's lasting addition to the Saga: The TIE Echelon at Galaxy's Edge was designed by Trevorow's team and was probably going to be in his version of Episode 9.
Until this moment, I didn't even realize that the Echelon Shuttle from Galaxy's Edge and the Upsilon Shuttle from TFA/TLJ were different ships. It's obvious now that I compare them side by side, but they have a lot of similarities. The Upsilon is cooler anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you misunderstand... The existing books will be destroyed. What's going to be reprinted and released in March is a cleansed version that Disney approves. Probably without all the cool shit.
Ohh, yeah, right. For some reason I thought you already had a preorder for the older ones, but they'll probably just give you the new version

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
He was talking about the art in an IGN article specifically. Colin doesn't speak Korean and hasn't gotten himself a copy of the artbook from South Korea to check all the content in it.

I reviewed the tweet and you appear to be right: https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1218828155022139393?s=19

That being said, I don't thing getting the book from South Korea was his only option. I mean, he's Colin Trevorrow, he could probably just ask someone for a PDF.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh, yeah, right. For some reason I thought you already had a preorder for the older ones, but they'll probably just give you the new version
As I said earlier in the thread; the book was originally supposed to release the same day as the film, but was pushed back to March for whatever reason. So the book you're imagining will never actually see official release.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I think you misunderstand... The existing books will be destroyed. What's going to be reprinted and released in March is a cleansed version that Disney approves. Probably without all the cool shit.
Yeah that book will worth a small fortune for the few who (if) managed to get it like that twitter account

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's the question. It only got delayed to March a couple weeks before the movie came out, which is when the book was supposed to drop, too.

I mean, just to be in good faith we don't really know for sure why they are doing this.

But delaying an art book due to a movies reception must be a first, right?

Doesn't even matter anymore. All over the internet.

Yeah this just Streisand effects the shit out of it, this korean art book has just been enshrined as an esential glimpse into what could have been.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
But delaying an art book due to a movies reception must be a first, right?
We don't know why the artbook was delayed. Only that the delay pretty much coincided with the leak of images from the RoS Visual Dictionary. The RoS artbook was initially scheduled to release with the film like everything else.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
We don't know why the artbook was delayed. Only that the delay pretty much coincided with the leak of images from the RoS Visual Dictionary. The RoS artbook was initially scheduled to release with the film like everything else.

Yeah, Occams razor says there is a huge misprint that means they have to start it all over again.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully when it comes out we get some Emperor and Exogol art which were not featured in the Korean version.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because the treatment from Trevorow's story leaked and there was probably artwork connected to it that people could concretely connect it to it. Not to mention the reveal of multiple cuts that seemed to be a better film than we got. Disney killing these "Making Of" books with the sequel trilogy has happened already with "The Force Awakens". They want all their properties to maintain the "Disney Magic" of everything just coming together and there never being any hint of issue with story changes or anything else. Lucas never shied away from the fact that there were different versions that existed before he settled on the final product and even though he may have made a decision that resulted in a worse film (i.e. having Anakin be older when the Phantom Menace in some of his early versions that were revealed in the making of books from Episode 1 which would have probably played better instead of the kid version we got) there was a certain amount of respect because he was the creator and it was his. Disney isn't about that life, there can never be any sign of failure or problems, which is interesting going back and watching their Imagineering documentary of Disney+ because Walt always seemed like he was almost proud of failure because he saw it as a chance to improve and make a better product in the end.

Whoa there

Trevorrow already said none of the art from this book leaked is related to his treatment.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be funny if Disney got artists to create some totally not made up last minute art that shows they didn't make it all up last minute and it was the plan all along....

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because the treatment from Trevorow's story leaked and there was probably artwork connected to it that people could concretely connect it to it. Not to mention the reveal of multiple cuts that seemed to be a better film than we got. Disney killing these "Making Of" books with the sequel trilogy has happened already with "The Force Awakens". They want all their properties to maintain the "Disney Magic" of everything just coming together and there never being any hint of issue with story changes or anything else. Lucas never shied away from the fact that there were different versions that existed before he settled on the final product and even though he may have made a decision that resulted in a worse film (i.e. having Anakin be older when the Phantom Menace in some of his early versions that were revealed in the making of books from Episode 1 which would have probably played better instead of the kid version we got) there was a certain amount of respect because he was the creator and it was his. Disney isn't about that life, there can never be any sign of failure or problems, which is interesting going back and watching their Imagineering documentary of Disney+ because Walt always seemed like he was almost proud of failure because he saw it as a chance to improve and make a better product in the end.
Except Disney also released a feature-length documentary about the making of The Last Jedi, which paid particular attention to the immense logistical challenges of making the film as well as one of its star's disagreements with the direction of the story. Neither of which would be seen on screen if Disney only wanted purely sanitized, "everything's perfectly fine, we're all fine now, how are you?" accounts of its behind the scenes stuff out there. And didn't the TFA art book also include multiple aborted ideas for that film too?

Further information

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is missing all kinds of important information.

The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was scheduled to come out the same day as the movie. A little more than a week before then it was delayed until March. Previous art books in the series had released day and date with the movie but did not include art from the climaxes of the films so as to avoid spoilers. That art was included in the next movie's art book, i.e. art from the end of The Force Awakens was published in The Art of The Last Jedi and art from the end of The Last Jedi is expected to be in The Art of The Rise of Skywalker. It's highly likely that The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was delayed so that it could include pieces from the entire movie. Why it was not originally scheduled to come out later is unknown.

The South Korean version of the art book was released a week ago, for unknown reasons. It is missing art of Palpatine, Exegol, and the end of the film. It is incredibly likely that this is the version of the book originally intended to come out last month. The delay happened late enough that it appears South Korean copies had already been printed. The publisher is recalling them. This recall is only happening in South Korea and there is no additional delay for any other territory.

There's no indication that anything in this erroneously released version will be altered or removed in the official version

Destroying unsold copies is standard operating procedure in the book business.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Except Disney also released a feature-length documentary about the making of The Last Jedi, which paid particular attention to the immense logistical challenges of making the film as well as one of its star's disagreements with the direction of the story. Neither of which would be seen on screen if Disney only wanted purely sanitized, "everything's perfectly fine, we're all fine now, how are you?" accounts of its behind the scenes stuff out there. And didn't the TFA art book also include multiple aborted ideas for that film too?

Except the documentary is painted as a triumph, as in "everything worked out great." Mark has disagreements but by the end it's painted as if he's come around. TPM documentary is a far more "raw" documentary or something like the making of Apocalypse Now. It was an intentional "feel good" BTS documentary and less, "let's show all the nitty, gritty of this film being made."

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was scheduled to come out the same day as the movie. A little more than a week before then it was delayed until March. Previous art books in the series had released day and date with the movie but did not include art from the climaxes of the films so as to avoid spoilers. That art was included in the next movie's art book, i.e. art from the end of The Force Awakens was published in The Art of The Last Jedi and art from the end of The Last Jedi is expected to be in The Art of The Rise of Skywalker. It's highly likely that The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was delayed so that it could include pieces from the entire movie. Why it was not originally scheduled to come out later is unknown.

The South Korean version of the art book was released a week ago, for unknown reasons. It is missing art of Palpatine, Exegol, and the end of the film. It is incredibly likely that this is the version of the book originally intended to come out last month. The delay happened late enough that it appears South Korean copies had already been printed. The publisher is recalling them. This recall is only happening in South Korea and there is no additional delay for any other territory.

There's no indication that anything in this erroneously released version will be altered or removed in the official version

I think this is probably it and the North American release date will be unchanged.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the context!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Except the documentary is painted as a triumph, as in "everything worked out great." Mark has disagreements but by the end it's painted as if he's come around. TPM documentary is a far more "raw" documentary or something like the making of Apocalypse Now. It was an intentional "feel good" BTS documentary and less, "let's show all the nitty, gritty of this film being made."
lol, come on, that TPM behind the scenes feature is fucking nothing like Hearts of Darkness. And I think people have always projected their own feelings about TPM onto what's seen in the doc and interpreted some more mundane moments into these supposedly grim harbingers of what a bad movie it would be. Like that infamous shot of McCallum in a screening room always gets interpreted as a "look at this shit, what have I done" look but in the actual film it just came off to me as the guy watching a movie. Or Lucas' "I may have gone too far", which iirc was more about the film's editing being paced to the point of incoherence, and cutting from scene to scene or shot to shot way too quickly. It wasn't "I may have gone too far" in the sense of "Wow this movie really sucks and everyone will hate it."

Everything "worked out great" in the Director and the Jedi because the movie was made and came out on time. How else could it have ended? The movie exists as its director intended! if Disney wanted just a portrait of the filmmaking where everything was always great, and the actors were always on board with Rian from jump, and there was nothing but smooth sailing with only the most perfunctory, superficial documenting of certain production details, they could've easily sanitized the doc to show that. They didn't. Just like they didn't scrub all of the unused ideas and characters and designs from the TFA art book either.

Status
Not open for further replies.