• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

<스타워즈 스카이워커 아트북> 판매중지 안내

1월16일에 출시되었던 스카이워커 아트북이 내용상의 문제로 저작권사의 요청에 따라 판매가 중지되었습니다. 제작된 책은 전량 파기할 예정이며, 추후 변경된 내용으로 재출간될 예정입니다. 이로 인해 혼선을 드려 대단히 죄송합니다.

Google Translate said:
Notice of discontinuance of <Star Wars Skywalker Artbook>

The Skywalker Art Book, released on January 16, has been discontinued due to content issues at the request of the copyright holder. The book will be destroyed in full and will be republished with the changes. I apologize for any confusion this may cause.

Destroy her, and me, and all of it if old

EDIT:
The OP is missing all kinds of important information.

The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was scheduled to come out the same day as the movie. A little more than a week before then it was delayed until March. Previous art books in the series had released day and date with the movie but did not include art from the climaxes of the films so as to avoid spoilers. That art was included in the next movie's art book, i.e. art from the end of The Force Awakens was published in The Art of The Last Jedi and art from the end of The Last Jedi is expected to be in The Art of The Rise of Skywalker. It's highly likely that The Art of The Rise of Skywalker was delayed so that it could include pieces from the entire movie. Why it was not originally scheduled to come out later is unknown.

The South Korean version of the art book was released a week ago, for unknown reasons. It is missing art of Palpatine, Exegol, and the end of the film. It is incredibly likely that this is the version of the book originally intended to come out last month. The delay happened late enough that it appears South Korean copies had already been printed. The publisher is recalling them. This recall is only happening in South Korea and there is no additional delay for any other territory.

There's no indication that anything in this erroneously released version will be altered or removed in the official version

Destroying unsold copies is standard operating procedure in the book business.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title should probably clarify that this was already postponed globally several weeks ago, but an early version was released by mistake in South Korea.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with that version? Why destroy it?

Probably because the treatment from Trevorow's story leaked and there was probably artwork connected to it that people could concretely connect it to it. Not to mention the reveal of multiple cuts that seemed to be a better film than we got. Disney killing these "Making Of" books with the sequel trilogy has happened already with "The Force Awakens". They want all their properties to maintain the "Disney Magic" of everything just coming together and there never being any hint of issue with story changes or anything else. Lucas never shied away from the fact that there were different versions that existed before he settled on the final product and even though he may have made a decision that resulted in a worse film (i.e. having Anakin be older when the Phantom Menace in some of his early versions that were revealed in the making of books from Episode 1 which would have probably played better instead of the kid version we got) there was a certain amount of respect because he was the creator and it was his. Disney isn't about that life, there can never be any sign of failure or problems, which is interesting going back and watching their Imagineering documentary of Disney+ because Walt always seemed like he was almost proud of failure because he saw it as a chance to improve and make a better product in the end.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope the original version is preserved somehow.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Has this original cut shit been given any actual weight behind it or is this just the thing where everytime a movie is shit now people assume theres some secret cut of the movie thats good>
Yea apparently there was at least 3 cuts , these come from the same sources that knew the spoilers well before it came out. So they seem to be legit

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably PISSED that the narrative going around is "holy fuck this art looks incredible and reveals a story way better than the actual movie that we got"

inb4 the new revision of the artbook is 60 pages exclusively covering the JJ version of the film

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Guess I'm cancelling my pre-order. I don't know why the fuck they didn't just release it the same day as the film like they did with the artbooks for the previous two films.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a bit extreme. Are they ashamed or it doesn't fit the narrative that their trilogy was perfect?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to get your hands on the TFA book, since that still has art from the George Lucas version of 7.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
If they remove interesting concept artwork from the book released everywhere else, that's going to be one hell of a backfire. It's almost like someone at Disney/Lucasfilm has a job figuring out new ways to piss off fans.

I've got this book pre-ordered, but I think I'm probably going to cancel that and hold off on purchasing (or not) until I see what's in it.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
96pUNKH.jpg

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have posed the question. It was a last-minute delay, so it seemed like it was punishment for someone leaking pics from the RoS Visual Dictionary. It seems petty enough to be true.

I also do not know the reason.

Some folks are so uppity with their fandom that they just assume everyone should know because living and breathing their fandom is all they know

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Has this original cut shit been given any actual weight behind it or is this just the thing where everytime a movie is shit now people assume theres some secret cut of the movie thats good>
if this is in regards to the Wayfinder originally being a creature (and in the art books, a parasite thing on a giant baby's head) then one of the pictures appears to show an actual scene in the movie where Kylo is approaching it in the water. It looks like an actual photo from the set/film and not just a concept art piece.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not some super fan. I just think this is a clear knee jerk response to the leaks that have come out about alt versions of TROS in the past month.

And yet, according to Trevorrow, nothing in the art book came from his version (including the spiderbaby which was reportedly shot for the JJ version then cut in post).

Oct 25, 2017
Is there like...a korean ebay I can get this from? If the final release turns out to be missing notable content from this version I would sit down and scan every single page for posterity if I could somehow get my hands on 스타워즈 : 라이즈 오브 스카이워커 아트북

Or maybe the reality is that the final version will actually have more content regarding spoilers and this version will be inferior. Or even more boring with just writing changes.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I also do not know the reason.

Some folks are so uppity with their fandom that they just assume everyone should know because living and breathing their fandom is all they know
Star Wars and FromSoft threads are among the worst in this regard.

Anyhow, the Rise of Skywalker artbook was originally slated to release day and date with the film, just like previous SW artbooks. The delay came only a week or two before the movie dropped. So I imagine the books were already printed by then.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact about Trevorow's lasting addition to the Saga: The TIE Echelon at Galaxy's Edge was designed by Trevorow's team and was probably going to be in his version of Episode 9.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because the treatment from Trevorow's story leaked and there was probably artwork connected to it that people could concretely connect it to it. Not to mention the reveal of multiple cuts that seemed to be a better film than we got. Disney killing these "Making Of" books with the sequel trilogy has happened already with "The Force Awakens". They want all their properties to maintain the "Disney Magic" of everything just coming together and there never being any hint of issue with story changes or anything else. Lucas never shied away from the fact that there were different versions that existed before he settled on the final product and even though he may have made a decision that resulted in a worse film (i.e. having Anakin be older when the Phantom Menace in some of his early versions that were revealed in the making of books from Episode 1 which would have probably played better instead of the kid version we got) there was a certain amount of respect because he was the creator and it was his. Disney isn't about that life, there can never be any sign of failure or problems, which is interesting going back and watching their Imagineering documentary of Disney+ because Walt always seemed like he was almost proud of failure because he saw it as a chance to improve and make a better product in the end.

Yep.

I also hate "Disney Magic" it's part of the reason we have this "all canon" approach. It's just dumb.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, according to Trevorrow, nothing in the art book came from his version (including the spiderbaby which was reportedly shot for the JJ version then cut in post).
He was talking about the art in an IGN article specifically. Colin doesn't speak Korean and hasn't gotten himself a copy of the artbook from South Korea to check all the content in it.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The book is in the wild, both in South Korea and most of the pictures have already been uploaded to the internet. Seems crazy that Disney is going to act like this hasn't already happened.

Jul 24, 2018
That's dumb, we've already seen examples of Star Wars using scrapped ideas for something new like the original design for the wookies. Destroying it seems petty and silly.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao and here I was thinking this movie couldn't get even worse.

What a joke. Rise of Skytrash killed Star Wars for me for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.