• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker/
76Ed.gif

Director J.J. Abrams impresses me with his ability to direct a story that is told in a clear, engaging, and tight manner. There are side quests that certainly could have been cut, shortened, or altered to take up less running time. However, the overarching story is interestingly epic and gives each pivotal character a fantastic arc.

Themes related to confronting fear, accepting who you are, who you are not, forgiveness, and ones' destiny are all themes explored in The Rise of Skywalker. Overall, Episode IX may be my favorite film in the franchise due to the way it spectacularly grows its already-developed characters, delivers on epic action, and concludes a saga that has spanned decades.
https://www.eskimotv.net/articles/2019/12/18/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-2019/ (positive)

The Rise of Skywalker gets by on its visual dazzle, toy-line-ready production design, and big action set pieces: the money is definitely all there on the screen (plus: cute banter!). But even at its best, this franchise-capper struggles to raise a pulse, to make its audience feel or care about the specifics of its complicated but slapdash plot beyond pre-existing goodwill for Star Wars itself and the saga's first female protagonist. For a brief, shining moment,The Rise of Skywalker perks up with a Lucas-esque twist of fate and good-evil duality, but the intriguing idea sorta just disappears into the film's creative quicksand along with everything else. With IP this big, "It's fine, I guess" just doesn't cut it as a reaction: once the initial excitement wears off and this one takes its place on the shelf, it's probably not going to get the kind of true love its predecessors enjoyed.
http://www.grouchoreviews.com/reviews/5191 (negative)

From the get-go, Star Wars has always been about teamwork, and how there's strength in unity. Abrams was never wrong to chase that, and the film's cast — specifically, Boyega, Isaac, and Ridley — actually benefit from it. The proof is right there in this film's first act, where every character is livelier than ever. There's depth, there's humor, there's chemistry, there's — gasp! — love. Finn has something to do, and that something actually means something. Poe has a history that extends well beyond his X-wing. Rey is struggling in ways that give her character definition. It's as if Abrams recognized the strengths he overlooked in The Force Awakens — you know, like splitting up Finn and Poe some 20 minutes into the film — and it's telling here in the way he wields his characters with the utmost clarity.

The Rise of Skywalker is no exception. It's a breakneck conclusion to what's been a breakneck restart. Think about it: In only half a decade, the Mouse House has delivered nearly as many films as Lucas did in the 28 years he piloted the ship himself. That's not only maddening, but part and parcel why this sequel trilogy has been riddled with errors. There's been zero patience and hardly any long-term planning, which is ultimately why Abrams is tasked to juggle so many tasks in this self-imposed 25th hour. Given that context, The Rise of Skywalker is a monumental feat for the veteran filmmaker, whose impossible trench run should be seen as a remarkable save by Disney.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/12/film-review-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/ (positive)

]In that way, the film is an interesting study in how mega studios react to fan feedback, a whole movie crafted out of Sonic the Hedgehog's retextured fur. There doesn't seem to be any real organic idea animating Rise of Skywalker; instead it feels cobbled together from notes stuffed in the suggestion boxes of Reddit and Twitter. Which is awfully cynical. (The way this film handles the unfairly maligned Last Jedi character played by Kelly Marie Tran—which is to say, by completely sidelining her for this last outing—feels like a bad concession to bad people.)

I don't want to end this review on too much of a down note. So, here are some things I did like about Rise of Skywalker. In one sequence we see the hulking wreck of the Death Star from Return of the Jedi, looming in the distance as a potent, and poignant, reminder of all the stars and all the wars that have come before. There's a deliciously hammy turn from a particular actor whose name I won't mention, but you'll know who I'm talking about when you see them. And, it must be said, there is a sweet new lil' alien guy that we meet in the movie, a wee tinkerer named Babu Frik who has a funny voice (done by the great Shirley Henderson) and is very small and has a frown. With his grumpy old man moue, he could be the miniature Mr. Wilson to Baby Yoda's Dennis the Menace, maybe.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review (negative)

RT Critics Consensus: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker suffers from a lack of imagination, but concludes this saga with fan-focused devotion.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
" Overall, Episode IX may be my favorite film in the franchise due to the way it spectacularly grows its already-developed characters, delivers on epic action, and concludes a saga that has spanned decades."

Nice.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really stands out and cant help but feel hits the nail on the head all too well
In only half a decade, the Mouse House has delivered nearly as many films as Lucas did in the 28 years he piloted the ship himself. That's not only maddening, but part and parcel why this sequel trilogy has been riddled with errors. There's been zero patience and hardly any long-term planning, which is ultimately why Abrams is tasked to juggle so many tasks in this self-imposed 25th hour.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this in an hour. Where should I report back with my own little "review"? Too many threads to keep track of now.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
When I come back to this thread I expect shit to go down, time for me to sleep, will be back many hours from now!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is red meat for the ravenous masses. It is a filet mignon of fan service, a film that checks every box. And ties all threads together for an epic saga; a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It is anti The Last Jedi, for those who despised episode eight; a heavy infusion of nostalgia from the original trilogy, a slight nod to the maligned prequels, and a rousing finale to the Jedi versus Sith conflict. The Rise of Skywalker wants satisfaction for all. It comes close enough to be successful. A few cheers will erupt. A tear or two may be shed. You will certainly be glued to the screen for every second."