• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
lol WTF i think you're taking this a bit too personally. JJ doesn't need you to stan for him you know. He can take the criticism just like Lucas has for over 30 years.

Also I watched the movie so I know what I'm talking about. It was even worse that I expected

Nah what you wrote was gross and needlessly inflammatory. You don't need to have seen the film (and I haven't) or stan for JJ (and I don't) to know that.

It's these kind of ultra extreme comments that make this fandom so massively toxic. Blaming JJ entirely for the film? Calling JJ to be banned from Hollywood? For making a bad film? Are you kidding me? Making a movie is really hard work, especially a film in a series as mammoth and divided as Star Wars. Have some empathy, jesus.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You don't need to say gross shit like that.

As a fellow artist/creator I take issue with someone making the ridiculous fucking claim that they should be banned from making their work.

If you don't want a reaction like that then chill with the horseshit hyperbole and quit acting like the guy and his movies murdered your puppy.
For the record, that's exactly how the poster you are defending before has talked about about TLJ and Kathleen since that movie came out.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Nah what you wrote was gross and needlessly inflammatory. You don't need to have seen the film (and I haven't) or stan for JJ (and I don't) to know that.

It's these kind of ultra extreme comments that make this fandom so massively toxic. Blaming JJ entirely for the film? Calling JJ to be banned from Hollywood? For making a bad film? Are you kidding me? Making a movie is really hard work, especially a film in a series as mammoth and divided as Star Wars. Have some empathy, jesus.

I feel the same for the GOT producers and it's even more unfair because everything people loved about the show was their doing as well.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
For the record, that's exactly how the poster you are defending before has talked about about TLJ and Kathleen since that movie came out.

I didn't defend anyone, I just quoted their reaction to TROS. I didn't even see their post before. If they posted something similar before then that's lame too.

This.

It really amazes me the shitty things people say just cuz they're hiding behind a fucking computer screen.

Last edited:

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Burst out laughing because this was the first review I saw when I clicked on RTs review feed.

fioI5UGj.png:small

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Seeing it in a couple hours!

Disappointed reviews are so mixed (because it will mean endless crap online for years again), but just reading reviews/impressions at a relatively surface level, it's rather confusing. "Lots of plot" and "lots of action," "satisfying conclusion" but "lacks imagination" and 'too focused on its core audience' - lots of contradictions everywhere.

My general sense before seeing it is like, if you're a big fan, you're satisfied. If you aren't, and you just are a light fan or love going to big tentpoles, more mainstream film goer, than the movie isn't boring or poorly made, it's just really not accessible for you - it's hard to connect with personally.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it in a couple hours!

Disappointed reviews are so mixed (because it will mean endless crap online for years again), but just reading reviews/impressions at a relatively surface level, it's rather confusing. "Lots of plot" and "lots of action," "satisfying conclusion" but "lacks imagination" and 'too focused on its core audience' - lots of contradictions everywhere.

My general sense before seeing it is like, if you're a big fan, you're satisfied. If you aren't, and you just are a light fan or love going to big tentpoles, more mainstream film goer, than the movie isn't boring or poorly made, it's just really not accessible for you - it's hard to connect with personally.

The movie is actually poorly made. If you're a Star Wars fan you might ignore that, if it doesn't bother that it changes retroactively a lot of the universe, because the movie is full of references.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people who are super outraged over any of these sequel films must not have lived through the release of the prequels. If you make it through that, you feel pretty chill about Star Wars.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Haha you think that's bad? Some dude on Reddit was so damn offended he said Disney and it's executives should be investigated for fraud and embezzlement.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people who are super outraged over any of these sequel films must not have lived through the release of the prequels. If you make it through that, you feel pretty chill about Star Wars.

Saw phantom menace as a kid man, loved every second of it. Growing up, still love it.

but do not give two shits about this entire sequel trilogy.

I grew up as those 6 movies being the complete saga, then all of a sudden in this final movie it's not the end of anew trilogy......nope it's the end of the last 6 (8 now I guess) I grew up watching as a finished product.

its stupid

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Saw phantom menace as a kid man, loved every second of it. Growing up, still love it.

I grew up as those 6 movies being the complete saga, then all of a sudden in this final movie it's not the end of anew trilogy......nope it's the end of the last 6 (8 now I guess) I grew up watching as a finished product.

its stupid

Amen I grew up with the Prequels and Feel the same way as you.

Also Reylo is some real dumb shit and literally a horrible message for your main female character to be involved in if you aint really gonna explore how much a piece of shit Kylo Ren is.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
just came out of the cinema, and yeah, slightly disappointed if i'm being honest. it's not a terrible film - and therefore certainly not as bad as the worst of the prequels - but it is absolutely overstuffed and a bit rickety when put together, the first act being particularly egregious. there's still some really solid moments, the actors give it their all, and it is a breathtakingly gorgeous film at times (something that this whole trilogy should be praised for), but yeah - too many underdeveloped characters, moments and ideas (and too many god damn macguffins), paired with oft bad pacing... it's a 5-6/10 for me. TLJ>TFA>TROS.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

its stupid
Same and the fact that this film is dumb as shit and disrespects a lot of what came before makes it suck even more. I so wish JJ didn't bring Sheev into this film, and I say this as a guy who said "sheev is my favourite star wars character" just a week or so ago.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Same and the fact that this film is dumb as shit and disrespects a lot of what came before makes it suck even more. I so wish JJ didn't bring Sheev into this film, and I say this as a guy who said "sheev is my favourite star wars character" just a week or so ago.

Yes, my younger brother 10 year difference said the only reason he even remotely cares about the movie is sheev......which is seriously telling that the new cast probably outside of Rey no one gives a crap about.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I don't get it but we have a generation of people who don't seem to be able to separate films from each other and seem to get super angry if a sequel or prequel isn't good even though it quite often has no effect on the original film/films.

To me the fact they're all individual trilogies makes it super easy to split them up and I love the OT, I don't enjoy the PT and I'm mixed on the ST because of TROS.

But the other trilogies do not effect my love of the original three films in any way shape or form. It's a stand-alone trilogy, it works perfectly as a stand alone trilogy and I could happily ignore the other films.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Is this what all the TLJ haters wanted?

This year has been a lesson in how bad writing can fuck everything up haha.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah I don't get it but we have a generation of people who don't seem to be able to separate films from each other and seem to get super angry if a sequel or prequel isn't good even though it quite often has no effect on the original film/films.

To me the fact they're all individual trilogies makes it super easy to split them up and I love the OT, I don't enjoy the PT and I'm mixed on the ST because of TROS.

But the other trilogies do not effect my love of the original three films in any way shape or form. It's a stand-alone trilogy, it works perfectly as a stand alone trilogy and I could happily ignore the other films.

I mean some people who love the EU can't ignore the films. If you only care about the films then you can ignore the sequels or the prequels.

I'd also argue that what happens in the PT and ST recontextualizes what happens in the OT sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Mostly for the worse actually.

Nov 8, 2017
Is this what all the TLJ haters wanted

A bad movie? No lol.

In several scenes it feels like this movie is directly at war with TLJ. And even though I didn't like quite a few things in TLJ, clumsy retcons or recontextualisation wasn't the right way forward.

God I wish that was the biggest issue with the film though. It's not.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I haven't seen it yet, but I find it kind of odd they decided to take an aspect from one of the old EU books that seems like it is on every "best and worst EU" book list. Anyways, I wasn't expecting these kinds of reviews :-O - I'll reserve judgement and avoid any more spoilers until I see it.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Just got back. It's ok, nothing more, nothing less. Some incredibly eye-rolly moments but also some very fun ones too.

One thing is for certain though, not planning out a clear roadmap for this trilogy before making The Force Awakens is one of the most brain dead decisions in modern cinema.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. It's ok, nothing more, nothing less. Some incredibly eye-rolly moments but also some very fun ones too.

One thing is for certain though, not planning out a clear roadmap for this trilogy before making The Force Awakens is one of the most brain dead decisions in modern cinema.
B-but the OT wasn't planned out!!

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I've seen too many franchises either end poorly or go on too long to care anymore, lol.

Has there ever been a satisfying end to any series, ever? Aliens, Terminator, Lost, X-Files, Game of Thrones, The Matrix, True Detective, Back to The Future...hell, even The Godfather. Even if the first entry ends well, sequels never recapture the magic of the original.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen too many franchises either end poorly or go on too long to care anymore, lol.

Has there ever been a satisfying end to any series, ever? Aliens, Terminator, Lost, X-Files, Game of Thrones, The Matrix, True Detective, Back to The Future...hell, even The Godfather. Even if the first entry ends well, sequels never recapture the magic of the original.
Back to the Future ended well.... Terminator ended with 2

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh ya, it's been pretty bad the entire time, but the first year felt like he was literally in mourning.
Just search his post history for "TLJ," "Luke," "Rian Johnson," etc. and it be prepared to feel second-hand embarrassment.
Sad but true

Its been longer than a year and its been thoroughly embarassing the entire time.
Dude spent a whole damn year acting like he lost a family member when TLJ came out.
Liquidsnake's reaction tells me everything I need to know about this movie

Liquidsnake is clearly JJ. He wrote and directed this damn movie.