• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if Disney made any correct calls with this film at all, it was dumping Trevorrow. Don't want to think about what that might have been, but I feel like this will be at least fun and sparkly. Gotta stop reading reviews, but there's a stupid part of me that keeps going back to them since I know I won't get to see it for a week or so.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
Destroyed nothing when it came to Star Trek. He breathed much needed new life into the franchise and expanded the fandom. We wouldn't be entering this new Trek golden age (Discovery, Picard, etc) without what he did in Trek 09 and yes even Into Darkness. His Trek impact has generally been viewed more positive then his Star Wars work.
Which is pretty funny considering he's a much bigger Star Wars fan than Star Trek.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So reading some of the blurbs one stuck out in that it says J.J. wanted to make a movie no one will hate instead of one that some will love. And another that it plays it too safe, etc. So perhaps this will be enjoyable fluff, etc. And having lowered expectations now seems like a good thing. I'll find out tomorrow night but it sucks that this dampens the mood a lot.

Maybe Rose should have shouted and clapped her hands when she made her point.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like almost every review is a 3/5 at the moment, with them either sounding a bit positive or a bit negative

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well, if Disney made any correct calls with this film at all, it was dumping Trevorrow. Don't want to think about what that might have been, but I feel like this will be at least fun and sparkly. Gotta stop reading reviews, but there's a stupid part of me that keeps going back to them since I know I won't get to see it for a week or so.

I was thinking this this morning.

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten we almost got a Trevorrow Star Wars movie which is not a world I want to live in.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Destroyed nothing when it came to Star Trek. He breathed much needed new life into the franchise and expanded the fandom. We wouldn't be entering this new Trek golden age (Discovery, Picard, etc) without what he did in Trek 09 and yes even Into Darkness. His Trek impact has generally been viewed more positive then his Star Wars work.

Into Darkness is insulting on a social level and hot garbage on an entertainment level.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
One movie doesn't negate the rest of the trash they put out this year (Lion King, Dumbo, Aladdin, CM, Frozen, TROS, etc)
People on Era complain that reviewers don't use the full review scale, then we get posts like this one where people don't seem to know how to use something other than extremes: Everything's either the absolute worst or the best, there's no other way to describe things, apparently.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, reading the reviews are at least entertaining!

Time: "This overloaded finale, directed by J.J. Abrams, is for everybody and nobody, a movie that's sometimes reasonably entertaining but that mostly feels reverse-engineered to ensure that the feathers of the Star Wars purists remain unruffled. In its anxiety not to offend, it comes off more like fanfiction than the creation of actual professional filmmakers. A bot would be able to pull off a more surprising movie."

Slate: "The Rise of Skywalker gives people what they go to Star Wars for, but that's all it does—and worse, all it sets out to do. It's frenzied, briefly infuriating, and eventually, grudgingly, satisfying, but it's like being force-fed fandom: Your belly is filled, but there's no pleasure in the meal. The movie feels like it's part of the post–Last Jedi retrenchment, when Disney jerked the leash on Solo and killed plans for future spinoffs by insisting that filmmakers stick to the established playbook. It's of a piece with the pointedly unambitious The Mandalorian, just good enough to get people's attention but fundamentally terrified of rocking the boat. Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don't feel much of anything at all"

TheWrap: " Rest assured that there's nothing in this final "Star Wars" that would prompt the eye-rolls or the snickers of Episodes I-III; Abrams is too savvy a studio player for those kinds of shenanigans. But his slick delivery of a sterling, shiny example of what Martin Scorsese would call "not cinema" feels momentarily satisfying but ultimately unfulfilling. It's a somewhat soulless delivery system of catharsis, but Disney and Abrams are banking on the delivery itself to be enough."

EntertainmentWeekly: " There's always been a secret cynicism underpinning Abrams' Star blockbusters, which adrenalize the pop-est culture of his youth and avoid anything requiring originality or imagination. Now he's left grasping for source material he hasn't already replicated — and one late montage even copies a sequence added into Return of the Jedi's 1997 Special Edition. We need a new franchise designation for this stumbling, bloodless conglomeration of What Once Was. Rise of the Skywalker isn't an ending, a sequel, a reboot, or a remix. It's a zombie."

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson took the series too off the rails for a theme park company to be comfortable, he scared the shit out of them by making the movie Star Wars needed, I guess.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking this this morning.

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten we almost got a Trevorrow Star Wars movie which is not a world I want to live in.

Can't even imagine what they were thinking with that outside of simply seeing box office numbers for JW and saying "alright, seems fine." Ending the trilogy with him, though? Absolute madness.

This entire trilogy has led to endless "what ifs" for me, though. What if Abrams did the whole thing? What if Johnson did the whole thing? What if TLJ didn't have the super vocal backlash? Hell, I even wonder how things might have differed if we got some details swapped around, like Johnson doing 7 or 9 instead of 8. But then again, I'm really just entertaining (frustrating) myself with these scenarios.

For awhile I was really heavily speculating they'd drop the trilogy format and end it all on a 10th film to give it more time to breathe (or give us a XI Pt. 1 and 2, a la Deathly Hallows or something) and if these reviews tell me anything, that's exactly what should have happened.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Into Darkness is insulting on a social level and hot garbage on an entertainment level.

Come on, that's harsh. It's certainly full of the usual JJ stuff but it has some cool action scenes, it looks nice and it moves at a fast enough pace to make it exciting. Both me and my brother enjoyed it for what it was, a solid action adventure.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it'll reach fresh territory?

I hope it's at least as good as Aquaman lmao

JJ should've just followed TLJ path

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson took the series too off the rails for a theme park company to be comfortable, he scared the shit out of them by making the movie Star Wars needed, I guess.

He dared to take the figurines out of their boxes and handle them without using gloves.

You were only supposed to look at them Rian!

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Level 3 fans already lost interest in the series because Snoke died before his Wookipedia page was filled out. Nobody left to have a meltdown.

See, you say that and make me wonder if I should stay in the thread or go have a normal productive life this morning. But this happens...

Similar to the GoT finale, this film will most likely ruin the entire series. How can anyone watch any of the other 8 films again knowing this is how it ends? I would puke if it wasn't so early and my stomach wasn't empty.

... and I couldn't bear to leave this place lol

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I love how people are already jumping to blaming TLJ for this, and are STILL blaming TLJ for Solo's box office performance. When the more plausible explanation is because people thought Solo and now this new film were trash.

Solo would have done better at the box office if there hasn't been a mainline Star Wars movie that had finished its theater run 2-3 months before. In that sense, yeah TLJ is somewhat responsible for Solo's box office performance. That was too much Star Wars in too little time. Yearly releases are a bit much, and with Solo it was mere months. It's in that sense that I feel people are "blaming" TLJ for Solo's box office performance. Solo wouldn't have had a mainline Star Wars performance of course, but it's pretty safe to assume it would had a better performance if it had been longer since TLJ.

Don't take this as a defense of Solo, no one asked for that movie and it wasn't the story they should have went for another Star Wars Story movie.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Walked past a girl I had a huge crush on (and subsequently got my heart broke) on my way into the cinema.
Movie's already off to a bad start.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The MCU wasn't nearly as "planned out" as people make it out to be.
GrossDentalIlladopsis-small.gif

(Proceeds to do nothing.)

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So are people hating it because it's too safe or because its genuinely a bad movie?

Mind you I loved both TFA and TLJ. The latter more.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I maintain that the biggest thing that hurt Solo was that it was pretty much the only Star Wars story nobody ever wanted to see. From the day it was announced the response was nothing but tepid ambivalence. Solo was exactly the kind of Star Wars movie no one wanted and surrounded the character people least wanted to see a movie about.
Yet Solo is a better movie than any in this trilogy @ me. @ me.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, the reviews are a bloodbath. Can't help but to feel that a lot of reviewers are bitter about the retconning that was done to TLJ, since TLJ seems to be mentioned in almost every negative review.

I'm not too excited for TROS, but my hype was already low even before the reviews, so the reviews didn't really change much for me. TLJ killed my hype for pretty much anything Star Wars for the time being, and that was critically acclaimed, so I'm not too worried about this one being critically panned.