• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Depends. Things Iger and Kennedy don't have any reason to care about aren't "missteps".

TFA -Good, well received except by wanna by film critics online

TLJ -loved by critics and the wanna be critics mentioned above at the expense of long time fans and the super casual Star Wars patron not liking it. Made money but it's box office got chewed up by Jumanji.
Which I do think is why Star Wars going on hiatus is a good thing. So they can adjust and make changes, so whatever they do in the future will be more solid and won't have production issues. I agree they rushed out these movies, probably to a fault. On the reverse of that though, I have enjoyed everything they have produced, so maybe I'm a bit biased in my opinion of it all.
the last Jedi should have only just been coming out now, still would have needed a different director and better story, but with all that time it could have happened.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RJ redeemed. Turns out JJ was the fraud all along
Nope.
Rian is a great director, love most of his movies to death, but he was hands down the wrong writer/ director choice for ep 8 of a 9 part trilogy.

When all settles down, he will probably live in infamy (in Star Wars dom, he probably won't lose sleep over it) for having sent the baby drowning with the bath water, and leading JJ to spend large parts of the following outing (which also happens to be the final episode in three trilogies) undoing or correcting what he did in TLJ.

The irony here is that Rian took excruciating pains to upend, ignore or subvert a large amount of hooks set up in TFA, only to see his efforts themselves being retconed (apparently) in the following outing.
This is not to say that JJ, as the overall helm of the new trilogy and director of two films in it, is blameless. The worst part of it from him and Kennedy is the lack of a detailed treatment for the entire trilogy to hold it in a coherent framework where other directors could work in.

The sad part to me here is that Rian would have been perfect to instill new life and original ideas ... in a brand new trilogy.

He just was the wrong choice to continue and ultimately set the direction to close a saga that was well established long before he came to it, trying to reinvent everything and change tone drastically at the 11th hour.

What a waste of a ton of talent across 3 films.

This being said, I'm basing all that on reviews, but I'll reserve my own opinion until I've seen RoS, but after TLJ again, I'm in no rush.

Last edited:

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson must be like

y2axymE.gif

right now
Probably wouldn't have been as bad if Rian didn't close almost every plot point JJ set up in TLJ and force JJ to come up with some bullshit to push things forward and avoid it just being Kylo vs Rey for the third time

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to ignore impressions before going in, but since the OP spoils the RT score might as well join in. How the FUCK did JJ screw this up?! I told y'all he was going to revert to hackery and you didn't fucking want to listen. May The Force help us all.

Disney, give Rian his trilogy before you run this franchise into the ground.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
They should have brought Rian Johnson back instead of Sheev. Johnson is the true villain of the Star Wars universe.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to ignore impressions before going in, but since the OP spoils the RT score might as well join in. How the FUCK did JJ screw this up?! I told y'all he was going to revert to hackery and you didn't fucking want to listen. May The Force help us all.

I personally liked 7 way better than 8. Nonetheless, he did say "fuck it" when it comes to part 9.

This is what happens when you force a director to finish a franchise.

Oct 26, 2017

If you think JJ's a hack then you have come to the right place my friend

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread needs a highlights thread. have we been 'locked while we look at reports' yet?
The only people in this entire thread who are that level of upset are people complaining that the RT score is a spoiler because they're probably blindsided that it's this bad. There's one other guy too but what can you do.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.
Rian is a great ditector, love most of his movies to death, but he was hands down the wrong writer/ director choice for ep 8 of a 9 part trilogy.

When all settles down, he will provably live in infamy (in Star Wars dom, he probably won't lose sleep over it) for having sent the baby drowning with the bath water, and leading JJ to spend large parts of the following outing (which also happens to be the final episode in three trilogies) undoing or correcting what he did in TLJ.

The irony here is that Rian took excruciating pains to upend, ignore or subvert a large amount of hooks set up in TFA, only to see his efforts themselves being retconed (apparently) in the following outing.
This is not to say that JJ, as the overall helm of the new trilogy and director of two films in it, is blameless. The worst part of it from him and Kennedy is the lack of a detailed treatment for the entire trilogy to hold it in a coherent framework where other directors could work in.

The sad part to me here is that Rian would have been perfect to instill new life and original ideas ... in a brand new trilogy.

He just was the wrong choice to continue and ultimately set the direction to close a saga that was well established long before he came to it, trying to reinvent everything and change tone drastically at the 11th hour.

This being said, I'm basing all that on reviews, but I'll reserve my own opinion until I've seen RoS, but after TLJ again, I'm in no rush.

This is the only good response to this whole mess i swear. TROS is still gonna be bad but recognizing it as a fault of not having a cohesive structure from the beginning is the only real truth. I bet i would have loved whatever Rian made outside of this trilogy.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
TFA -Good, well received except by wanna by film critics online

TLJ -loved by critics and the wanna be critics mentioned above at the expense of long time fans and the super casual Star Wars patron not liking it. Made money but it's box office got chewed up by Jumanji.

the last Jedi should have only just been coming out now, still would have needed a different director and better story, but with all that time it could have happened.
mate, it's fine if you don't like TLJ, but the whole, 'TLJ fans aren't real Star Wars fans' thing fuckin sucks, and you should stop doing it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.
Rian is a great ditector, love most of his movies to death, but he was hands down the wrong writer/ director choice for ep 8 of a 9 part trilogy.

When all settles down, he will provably live in infamy (in Star Wars dom, he probably won't lose sleep over it) for having sent the baby drowning with the bath water, and leading JJ to spend large parts of the following outing (which also happens to be the final episode in three trilogies) undoing or correcting what he did in TLJ.

It was JJ's CHOICE to spend an entire movie pretending TLJ didn't happen. Johnson didn't force him to do that, he made the choice. This is on JJ.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now we wait for Thursday preview numbers and see what effect if any this has on the OW. Probably none until the 2nd weekend but ya never know.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, can't believe Rian Johnson barged into Lucasfilm with a gun in 2016 and held Kathy Kennedy and the Story Group at gunpoint until they signed off on his TLJ script that ignored the detailed trilogy planning they never actually had because they're incompetent.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Pardon me, jackass, but could you please take the review out of the title of the next movie thread you feel compelled to make? Thanks, dude.
Man, I can't figure this line of thinking out. Are people that incapable of deciding things for themselves that an aggregate of review scores counts as ruining their experience?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoiling...

It's that why maybe critics didn't like it? Critics loved the direction Last Jedi was going, and I feel JJ was going to fix many of the issues from that movie.

"fix"

Does this also cement Chris Terrio as also a hack and a certified "False God?"

Please, tell me this is a joke.

Terrio wrote one film that people liked. Lindelof at least has a better track record than that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. He's one of the best around and just gave us one of the best tv show of all time and a worthy follow up to one of the best visual novel of all time.
Lmao. Lindelof would be a massively bad pick. I fucking loved Watchmen and love Lindelof's work, but he shouldn't be doing Star Wars. It's a supremely bad fit for his style.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It was JJ's CHOICE to spend an entire movie pretending TLJ didn't happen. Johnson didn't force him to do that, he made the choice. This is on JJ.

We knew, we knew all along. It gave us no solace, but we knew once we heard JJ was coming back.

😔

Absolutely not. He's one of the best around and just gave us one of the best tv show of all time and a worthy follow up to one of the best visual novel of all time.

He did not.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a lifelong SW fan who even likes AoTC i am actually sad that this is how it all ends. I fucking hate TLJ and it killed the franchise for me after what they did with Luke but eod i am still sad that this garbage is the final chapter. ST was a mistake imo.