• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
In a perfect world, they course correct AGAIN and immediately let Rian Johnson get his trilogy going for the next major releases.

But in the real world, we're probably going to get Star Wars VI.5 starring Sebastian Stan as Luke Skywalker doing his thing pre-TFA.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Also a lot of the negative reviews are specifically about pandering fan service. So I'm sure most of the the TLJ haters will love this one. TFA was pretty much also just a pandering nostalgia fest. Sounds like that's what this is.

Or maybe "they'll" like it, dislike it, or find it mediocre because people base their opinions on more than just a series of x and y equations.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess everyone who tried to pretend the last jedi was divisive has some reflecting to do now that a star wars movie is actually divisive

yall sent that energy out and it has returned threefold

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Imma be honest. I'm not really fond of the "monster from beyond" trope that flies in and is suddenly out to conquer and destroy stuff out of the blue. It's not how conflicts work, or how wars work, and it relies on a fear of "the other" and the "outsider". Star Wars has always been relatively simple as far as its social themes, but it has at least pursued its conflicts from a more human place than that; with the Seperatists being motivated by greed, Palpatine by ambition, and the Empire having elements of real life fascist groups and the First Order reminding one of those who want a return to such ideals. I think having a new group of aliens come out of the blue would be reinforcing negative tropes like "don't trust the outsider", and even if you connected it to "what was already there" you'd have to derive it from something obscure in knowledge to most characters or so long ago it was forgotten... and that isn't really much better.

I think this conversation is kind of dodging the core of the issue. The two examples I mentioned are just examples. I'm pretty sure there must be more ideas that can be used for an antagonist that doesn't involve the complete collapse of RotJ's ending.

Either way though, regarding the external empire idea, I'm not really thinking about a "monster from beyond", but rather something closer to an expansionist empire, like the Europeans suddenly arriving in the new world, but with the "new world" being actually the known galaxy. They could be mostly humans too, just without any kind of force knowledge (aside from maybe some myths they had dismissed as a civilization), but with technology superior to the Republic. So, you'd still get the focus on the Jedi as the key point to save the galaxy, but without immediately writing out the Republic and its army to go back to the "resistance" set up. There would be no need to paint them all as evil, since their own people likely would be oppressed too and by the end of the trilogy you could get defectors from them helping the main cast.

The entire idea is that this could still look close enough to the classic Star Wars for trailers and general visual imagery (facing armies with spaceships, robots, armored soldiers) while avoiding a story reset. The big issue in this case would be the lack of saber duels, since only the Jedi hero(es) would have one, but they likely could replace the enemy's sabers with "close enough" counterparts (like energy blades partially contained within metallic parts or charged metal).

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Hope they kick the entire team responsible for 7-9 out and let Kevin Feige do good movies instead.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Putting the RottenTomatoes score in the OP title, if the true score, is a dick move for those who have gone on media blackout for this event. So thanks dick.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
If anyone is blaming TLJ for this they're being absolutely ridicilious.
Apart from Snoke and Rey's parentage TLJ did not close any plot points from TFA and left A LOT to explore.

Wha?

Closed any resolution for Phasma and Finn, killed Luke, reduced the entirety of the resistance to twenty people, narrows Rey and Ben to literally "person in while outfit good, person in black outfit bad", removes the antagonist, removes any romantic tension with Finn and Rey, etc etc etc.

Even if you like TLJ, it absolutely writes the trilogy into a corner where you've got to try and establish a new credible villain and set up some kind of chemistry between the three primary protagonists. That's a LOT to do.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fan backlash is going to be really bad. The movie may have a large drop off after the first week.

I wonder what the course correction after this will be. Hopefully they don't fire Kathleen Kennedy.
Disney does the same thing George did after fans got sick of his shit and sell the franchise off.

If Star Wars fans thought AOTC and Solo were bad, just wait until they see Sony Star Wars or Paramount Star Wars...

Oct 30, 2017
zTDWIyR.png

francis.png

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember leaving TFA with kind of a shrug. It was alright. It felt like what Star Wars is supposed to be. So I didn't bother seeing TLJ in theaters - I'm just not a big Star Wars guy, not enough to spend $10+ to see them.

But when I watched TLJ on Netflix a few months later I was blown away. Everything TFA wasn't - thoughtful, reflective, almost a meta-narrative about nostalgia and legacy and what it means to be part of something with an overwhelming history. Full of bumps and bruises but ultimately an interesting movie. If Star Wars could turn into that, maybe I'll see the next one.

But yeah I guess not.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The fan backlash is going to be really bad. The movie may have a large drop off after the first week.

I wonder what the course correction after this will be. Hopefully they don't fire Kathleen Kennedy.

I actually think it's going to be the opposite. By all accounts, they made a safe crowd pleaser.

I feel like this will be one of the many movies this year that has a clear divide between the critics and the public in terms of reception.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Can we stop the talk of firing Kathleen Kennedy? JJ made the damn movie, people.

It'll still make $1.3b ww and if the "fans" like it she'll be fine.

General audience reaction matters far more than the fans. Solo proved the fan audience is far smaller than even Lucasfilm anticipated.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
You know, something being "pandering to fans" can be good or bad in execution. And something being "subversive" can be good or bad in execution.

People have been using these words here as adjectives. They are not.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
People's obsession with firing Kennedy is really offputting.

Maybe, but given the way this trilogy has been managed up at her level it's also understandable. The ST has not been handled well at all, and you only need look at the incoherence of the three films side by side to see the evidence of that.

She bungled it, plain and simple.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only they could have nailed the landing. Would have been one of the most successful trilogies of all time! One hell of a drop off from to 90% to this, though.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
from reading this thread i hate that the last jedi is now being elevated as some masterpiece when it was crappy too. two crappy movies in a row and an average movie before that. knew this movie and franchise was in trouble when they brought back the emperor. they need to move on from this era of starwars and go forward a couple of hundred years and create a new story.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh dear. What I read from the critics is that Abrams played very safe and tried to satisfy the fans. Basically they cave into the fan demands of TLJ.

Star Wars fans made this bed, now lie on it.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but given the way this trilogy has been managed up at her level it's also understandable. The ST has not been handled well at all, and you only need look at the incoherence of the three films side by side to see the evidence of that.

She bungled it, plain and simple.
But the other two were hughly successful? This seems to be a big misfire, though