• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This might actually be closer to the source of the problem for this film, more likely than JJ Abrams being a hack director. JJ can definitely direct a film but needs a sound script as a foundation (as anyone does, really). TFA was written by the guy who wrote two of the three original films and the guy who wrote Wall-E and Toy Story 3. TLJ was written by the guy who wrote (and directed) Brick and Looper. TROS was written by the guy who wrote Batman v Superman and Justice League. Are we surprised we're getting unevenness, blazing fast pace, over-emphasis on plot and reliance on fan-service?
Writers for hire brought onto these huge projects really don't have any creative control and are mostly doing what they're told. You got unevenness, blazing fast pace, and emphasis on plot and fanservice because that is every single movie Abrams has made post-MI3.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Yep. It absolutely was. Wasn't until Captain Marvel that they were forced to changed user review score policy
I ignored a lot of the of the drama, and now I'm kinda trying to piece together some of what happened. I saw This polygon article with a person saying they actively participated, but the Rotten Tomatoes comment was a (somewhat sketchy) denial.

But, I feel like I remember someone from Rotten Tomatoes admit it was bombed earlier this year, probably around Captain Marvel?

Anyways, thanks 😁
Yes but that's only applicable to all audiences not verified audiences, I believe.

Edit: Maybe not. Idk. I guess they didn't change it until Captain Marvel so now there's a verified section
I thought I was going crazy(er) not seeing verified users from TLJ. Also thanks 😁

Oct 25, 2017
2-E231-E22-6-E33-47-AD-B61-B-53-A166-F84-CE8.png
B3-CFA07-C-ABAE-4-C40-A1-FB-6123-A9-F105-A6.png

it's like poetry.it rhymes
Just wanna point out that TROS' verified audience score is made up of 25 people. When you go down to all audience, it sinks to 63% but that's only out of less than 1200 people.

Atm, TLJ has over 200 k people rating it.
Also the audience score was infamously brigaded.

Rottentomatoes admitted it after the same trolls tried to do it Captain Marvel

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Rankings after seeing it

Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > The Last Jedi > Rogue One > Return of the Jedi > Rise of Skywalker > The Force Awakens > Revenge of the Sith > The Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Solo

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Finally saw the movie. Loved it, outstanding. I have zero complaints on it, which I never thought going into it. Just excellent all around IMO.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
So when is the "its like poetry it rhymes" meme going to die. Plinklett and RLM really change the course of how some of the fan base see Star Wars, or film making in general.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
There's an alternate universe where Trevorrow directed the second film(before they realized he was terrible) and it was meh, but serviceable, and Rian Johnson directed the finale. I would like to see that universe's NT.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going tomorrow.
So far I've liked, or loved every SW movie but I also can criticize some of them for hours. But never in an angry or hyperbolic way. If the movie deserves this score, then okay, there's still a chance I'll like it, but it's more the fact that the discussions will continue to be overly negative that wears me down. I mean, I'm kinda used to it since 1999 but still, one can dream.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Eh the RT% and the average rating are both significantly down from TFA and TLJ
Which by itself doesn't tell me anything except the reception is more mixed than those two. Only reading the actual reviews gives me any semblence of an idea on what the movie does well or doesn't. Using the tomatometer as a quality gauge is dubious.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really really enjoyed it. Liked it way more than solo and rogue one.

Also my favourite of the new trilogy.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Jar Jar is the key to all of this

This one is not overused

Which by itself doesn't tell me anything except the reception is more mixed than those two. Only reading the actual reviews gives me any semblence of an idea on what the movie does well or doesn't. Using the tomatometer as a quality gauge is dubious.

I think people also forget the ratio a film like this gets in reviews. It has 200+ reviews vs like 60+ on Bombshell perse. None of this shit is science.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
There's an alternate universe where Trevorrow directed the second film(before they realized he was terrible) and it was meh, but serviceable, and Rian Johnson directed the finale. I would like to see that universe's NT.
Trevarrow was only going to do 9, not 8. But RJ was offered 9 before it was offered to JJ. Had Iger let them wait a while longer between films we probably would've had RJ's 9. He was also going to do story treatment (I.E lay a plan for the direction of 9) but decided not to.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Posting major spoilers in a non-spoiler thread, Ignoring staff post
Mod Edit: Removed Spoilers

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly... I feel crazy because it does not feel like a movie that should have a RT% lower than 75-80%. Then again, I guess that % doesn't actually mean shit.
Exactly. I don't believe oversimplified scores like the tomatometer are worth much at all.
Probably because its not a score. Its a representation of the percentage of critics that either found the movie favorable or worth watching. Not a rating of quality in and of itself.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Posting major spoilers in a non-spoiler thread, Ignoring staff post
Mod Edit: Removed Spoilers

Last edited by a moderator:

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I just got back. Ignore the reviews. It was pretty great! Sure, it wasn't perfect by any stretch(how could it be?!), and there were some corny things sprinkled in there... BUT it was a LOT of fun and was filled to the brim with Star Wars awesomeness. I also thought it was 100x better than the last one so I feel satisfied.. ahhhhhhhhh

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Had the same thought. After this and The Morning Show, I'm done with bothering with reviews.
Probably because its not a score. Its a representation of the percentage of critics that either found the movie favorable or worth watching. Not a rating of quality in and of itself.

Honestly... I feel crazy because it does not feel like a movie that should have a RT% lower than 75-80%. Then again, I guess that % doesn't actually mean shit.

The average rating for this is below Attack of the Clones still.

Attack of the Clones is 6.59.

TROS is 6.21.

I said this in another thread but critics do not respond well to empty fanservice and 'member berries. That is what 90% of the film is along with it being over-stuffed. You need scenes to breathe to take them in.

Not to mention that it's a back-pedaling of a movie that critics did like ( TLJ).

Plus one of the first lines in the movie is a fucking meme for crying out loud lol

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I know some of the shit I this movie is dumb, but I dont see how it could possibly be worse than Attack of the Clones which has some of the worst acting in a major motion picture in the history of the industry imo. As long as the characters more or less play the same personalities from TFA it should at least be serviceable.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Solo is much more competently made at least, not cutting all over the place and rushing through everything. Plus Solo is a much more fun watch.
True. This is probably the first Star Wars film where I've felt lost in terms of reasons why characters are heading to the destination they're heading to, but that's just a part of the issues I have with Skywalker.

Going tomorrow.
So far I've liked, or loved every SW movie but I also can criticize some of them for hours. But never in an angry or hyperbolic way. If the movie deserves this score, then okay, there's still a chance I'll like it, but it's more the fact that the discussions will continue to be overly negative that wears me down. I mean, I'm kinda used to it since 1999 but still, one can dream.
I have the same sentiment for the Star Wars movies. I've enjoyed them despite their faults, but this one definitely has faults I can't ignore. I think maybe over time I'll just accept it, but whereas with TLJ I had some criticisms but had a great time overall, for Skywalker I feel like overall it's a pretty so-so movie. I'm going again on Sunday so I'll see how my impressions change with a second viewing.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I mean I know some of the shit I this movie is dumb, but I dont see how it could possibly be worse than Attack of the Clones which has some of the worst acting in a major motion picture in the history of the industry imo. As long as the characters more or less play the same personalities from TFA it should at least be serviceable.
Spoiler: It isn't worse.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
The average rating for this is below Attack of the Clones still.

Attack of the Clones is 6.59.

TROS is 6.21.

I said this in another thread but critics do not respond well to empty fanservice and 'member berries. That is what 90% of the film is along with it being over-stuffed. You need scenes to breathe to take them in.

Not to mention that it's a back-pedaling of a movie that critics did like ( TLJ).

Plus one of the first lines in the movie is a fucking meme for crying out loud lol
I'm in no way defending the movie (and haven't seen it yet) but I figured I'd point out the continued misconception that the rotten tomatoes percentage = movie rating.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole trilogy was mismanaged seriously, if this had the same director and a plan it would have been better off. The Force Awakens is the best one, this is whatever because of what 8 did. And that's not me saying 8 is a bad movie, just that it didn't flow because of that random middle movie. I would have much rather had JJ make all 3.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The whole trilogy was mismanaged seriously, if this had the same director and a plan it would have been better off. The Force Awakens is the best one, this is whatever because of what 8 did. And that's not me saying 8 is a bad movie, just that it didn't flow because of that random middle movie. I would have much rather had JJ make all 3.

I didn't like TLJ and I wish Rian had made all 3, lol