• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That JJ shade to Rian though when Luke stopped Rey from throwing the lightsaber (I liked it lol)
At the same time I feel that Rose being limited was a response to TLJ, and with as many problems as I had with TLJ, none of them involved having less Rose. I wanted MORE Rose and less space horses. I got more space horses and less Rose

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That JJ shade to Rian though when Luke stopped Rey from throwing the lightsaber (I liked it lol)

The problem I have with all these take thats and fuck yous at TLJ is how fucking obvious they are. You half expect the characters to face the camera and wink at the audience.

Like, fucking A, I didn't like TLJ, but what's done is done: Kylo was set up as the main villain who fully rejects redemption, Rey is a nobody, Luke's dead and the Resistence is down to 30 losers on a single ship. Even with all those limitations, JJ and Chris "Martha!" Terrio could still have come up with a decent Mystery Box Fetch Quest that JJ seems to love so much.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Oooof. Well, that was certainly a movie.

It's like a bunch of ideas thrown into a blender. The overall ending to the Skywalker legacy is well done but the journey to get there is.... I don't think I like it. It's too stuck living in the OT while clearly afraid to do anything new.
Exactly. The overall narrative themes surrounding the Skywalkers, Palpatines, and Sith vs Jedi are quite interesting, but they were held back so much by the overuse and rehash of OT elements like the Resistance, First Order, Etc...

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can some one walk me through the dagger & wayfinder business

Palpatine's master plan is on Exogol

There are 2 maps to it, one is on a random planet and one is on DS2.

Palpatine somehow gives the dagger to an assassin to kill the parents and retrieve Rey, with instructions to return her to Exogol

Did he want the assassin to go to DS2 to get the wayfinder? Did he orchestrate everything so that rey would find it herself I guess?

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I think the moral is value are thicker bounds than blood. Thus Rey taking the Skywalker name looking at Luke & Leia (who she considers being her true parents I guess)

I agree. While I think she had a closer connection with Leia than Luke.

Luke goes out of his way in the island to establish that it's her soul and spirit that is more powerful than her own blood. And ultimately you choose your family.

Again, it worked for me. I can see how it wouldn't for others

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? In TLJ when Luke is telling Rey what happened, he describes how when he got out of the rubble Kylo had taken a group of students and killed the rest.

This got retconned in a recent (supremely dumb) Star Wars comic.

Ben didn't kill the students (it was Palpatines ghost)
Thé 'group of students' that Kylo took with him where actually 3 that followed him willingly and tried to stop him.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even the action scenes weren't engaging in this

lightsabre battles were zzzz

the fleet battle in the end was aimless

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif
Master of the long stroke

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obi Wan was struck down. Yoda died of old age.

People hated when Luke died for no reason. And now Ben's death is even more laughable. Hell, at least Luke's scene was reverent and elegant. Ben just falls over, disappears, and we immediately get a transition to another scene. It's just laughable editing and execution.

Ben used all his energy to bring Rey back from the dead. And it cuts to Leia disappearing if I'm not mistaken which I thought was kind of neat. Something like she wasn't fully at peace/one with the force until her son was saved.

Of all the things that didn't work for me in this film that wasn't one of them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem I have with all these take thats and fuck yous at TLJ is how fucking obvious they are. You half expect the characters to face the camera and wink at the audience.
I had someone shout "YES" when luke said you have to treat your lightsaber with respect lol. Like calm down guy we all get what he was doing there

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my showing cheered for the kiss, as well as other moments like Luke appearing and Han talking to Ben.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
All the Leia scenes were rough, you could tell they were writing dialog around what they had in the name of exposition.

"I'm gonna go with or without your blessing!"

>"No."

"Too bad, I'm going!"

>Leia stares blankly.

Also, the... second time Leia gives the saber to Rey (just before she leaves on her solo adventures), the arms were digitally added, the match move wasn't done perfectly and it appeared slightly off.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I fucking love how that movie went out of its way to be like "Uh, can we just forget about all that Episode 8 stuff?" and twists itself into knots trying to undo and paper over all that shit. I really enjoyed how dumb it was, but dumb in a pretty entertaining way. The movie sure has editing issues, but I guess that's to be expected when you're trying to do the heavy lifting of 2 movies at once.

Bet Disney wished they hadn't wasted an episode.

For the first time, I really liked Rey throughout pretty much the whole movie. Her training at the beginning was a lot of fun!

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Ian Mcdiarmid was the best thing about this, and of course he's hardly in it. He deserved to be in a better movie.

The Palpatine stuff at the end though was mostly amazing.

-The scenery chewing
-The crane
-Yeeting Kylo
-doing the equivalent of a force storm
-having his own hype squad chanting

i fucking hated how short and glossed over the opening was with Kylo and Palps. Should have been so much longer.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Back in April before the leaks I almost got right how Rey would be both a Skywalker and a Palpatine.

www.resetera.com

How Rey will be a ... (Speculation / Potential Spoilers)

I think that in The Rise of Skywalker, we’ll finally get the revelation that Rey is a Skywalker. No, not as Luke’s daughter. And no, not as Han and Leia’s long lost daughter either. Yesterday, JJ said this about Rey’s parentage: Therefore, whatever happens with Rey’s parentage most likely...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why did every Star Destroyers out there simply explode? Were there battles going fon too?

Is the first order done?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the film was fine, it was definitely a fun movie to watch in the theaters.

However, the writing was just all over the place. They built Hux for two movies and threw him away in the 3rd.

Another gripe I had was that if you read the books, you'd know that Wedge was Snap's step dad. We saw nothing come out of that in the movie after Snap died. It would've at least given Wedge more screen time.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Anyone noticed that the Jedi Fallen Order crew totally had advanced peeks into Reys scenes since Cal both fights and climbs exactly like Rey does.
I thought that looked great :)

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I would say TLJ has overall great concepts with frequently weak execution and this was frequently weak concepts with overall great execution. Not sure which option I prefer.

But the fanbase has been hoping for Reylo forever!

Yes it's disgusting on a couple levels.

Everyone in the theater I saw it in was awkwardly silent until he started to die and then several people laughed loudly.

I kind of feel like the love for Reylo has always been a mostly online thing, just like the people who wanted him to hook up with Hux.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That opening crawl though...and then how rushed the minutes afterwards are.

It was interesting to say the least.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I dno't recall him ever saying this.

It's when they're by the destroyers, he knows which one to go to because he "felt it".

I still don't buy that's what he wanted to tell Rey though. Like he still refused to tell Poe what it was when they were all about to be executed, and his delivery above felt like he was surprised himself.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
But Rey healed him from death like 20 minutes prior. Unless stabbing someone through the chest with a lightsaber isn't death anymore, though that is news to me in this universe haha

He was still alive. He was conscious and breathing. It certainly seemed like it might result it death. But she healed a wound, and that's all.

When Kylo did it, she was dead. Limp, thousand-yard stare, all of it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Can some one walk me through the dagger & wayfinder business

Palpatine's master plan is on Exogol

There are 2 maps to it, one is on a random planet and one is on DS2.

Palpatine somehow gives the dagger to an assassin to kill the parents and retrieve Rey, with instructions to return her to Exogol

Did he want the assassin to go to DS2 to get the wayfinder? Did he orchestrate everything so that rey would find it herself I guess?
Rey looking through the dagger to pinpoint where in the Death Star rubble the wayfinder is is perhaps the most nonsensical thing in the movie, potentially the whole franchise. Can anybody explain the logic of how this dagger was built, idk, hundreds of years ago in such a manner that, when tilted to one particular side, the grooves on the blade just so happen to outline the ruins of a space station that didn't exist yet and would pinpoint the location of a device that would've had to have been placed there long after the fact?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the moral is value are thicker bounds than blood. Thus Rey taking the Skywalker name looking at Luke & Leia (who she considers being her true parents I guess)

Yeah but it's not earned at all.

I mean look at what Daisy says about Luke being her father figure:

Daisy: "Rey was looking for a parent figure and Luke just wasn't that for her"

It doesn't land at all.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I agree. While I think she had a closer connection with Leia than Luke.

Luke goes out of his way in the island to establish that it's her soul and spirit that is more powerful than her own blood. And ultimately you choose your family.

Again, it worked for me. I can see how it wouldn't for others
Yeah worked for me too, it's probably the best part of the movie and trilogy for me and it's due to Luke and Leia importance in the saga and the connection I have with them.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well got back from watching the movie and enjoyed the fuck out of it. Definitely my favorite out of the trilogy. Now for my favorite pastime of reading this thread on why I'm wrong..

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
People will complain about Mary Sue stuff, I have seen it already, but come on its been that way since Force Awakens you knew what you were getting.

That aside very much enjoyed the film, better plot than TLJ's boring space race/random kill baddie.

At the same time I feel that Rose being limited was a response to TLJ, and with as many problems as I had with TLJ, none of them involved having less Rose. I wanted MORE Rose and less space horses. I got more space horses and less Rose

Well people didn't like Rose and made her quit twitter remember.

So I guess her diminished role was another fuck you to TLJ lol.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
even the action scenes weren't engaging in this

lightsabre battles were zzzz

the fleet battle in the end was aimless
This is probably what disappointing me most.

There was no real tension in the light-saber duels.

I was looking forward to seeing all those ships in action at the end, but we barely saw any shots of them. It jumps almost immediately from shots of the ships arriving to the falling debris of the destroyed star destroyers. Even the dog-fighting between fighters wasn't nearly as engaging as say in Rogue One.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just when you think they'd never do another Death Star, this movie literally has thousands of Death Stars in it. Facepalm so hard.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the Reylo Kiss is the Yoda fight scene of this trilogy: People are either gonna cheer or laugh out loud.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
" Balance the Force like I did "

But... you didn't?
I actually wouldn't say the movie is bad per se, but I strongly disagree that it worked. A few elements sorta worked for me. The handling of Ben Solo being the standout and Daisy was very strong but the plotting is an absolute joke. Things just happen because they need to. Honestly I thought Roberto Orci and Kurtzman wrote this shit.

Where did Palpatine come from? Doesn't matter. Fuck it!

Where did the super star destroyers with the Death Star lasers come from? Doesn't matter: Fuck it!

What was the actual objective at the end of the movie? Doesn't matter: Fuck it!

I think back in the summer, you posted how Rey being a Palpatine COULD work, and that it kinda fits with Palps always turning Skywalkers. I actually liked that idea. But... it just didn't work for me. And the big reason is because they pulled the motherfucker literally out of nowhere. Him just being "back" is the biggest flaw of this movie.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He was still alive. He was conscious and breathing. It certainly seemed like it might result it death. But she healed a wound, not death.

When Kylo did it, she was dead. Limp, thousand-yard stare, all of it.
She literally was alive a minute before Kylo got to her. No way was she THAT dead. Also, how the fuck did she even die in the first place?

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Guys Am I wrong? Or Leia's body dissappeared first when Ben dies and then it appears again when Poe came back to base. I'm confused.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Well got back from watching the movie and enjoyed the fuck out of it. Definitely my favorite out of the trilogy. Now for my favorite pastime of reading this thread on why I'm wrong..
I loved it myself, and spent the majority of the movie thinking it was my favorite of the trilogy.

TLJ was probably better, but I enjoyed this more.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lightsaber battles were so zzzz.... can't believe Driver's role in this was literally just taunting Rey about her parents
its crazy how different Rey + Kylos force bond scenes were in thie vs TLJ

in TLJ even the shortest ones had something to say and pushed their characters.

In this it was just nothing. Like a caricature of TLJ

Oct 28, 2017
I like how Zorri just happens to have the medallion they need to get on the ship and then when they get on the ship they run around and take out troopers like it's nothing. Jesus Christ everything in this movie just... happens.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Ian Mcdiarmid was the best thing about this, and of course he's hardly in it.

The Palpatine stuff at the end though was mostly amazing.

-The scenery chewing
-The crane
-Yeeting Kylo
-doing the equivalent of a force storm
-having his own hype squad chanting

i fucking hated how short and glossed over the opening was with Kylo and Palps. Should have been so much longer.
The Palpatine stuff was by far the worst thing about the movie. It didn't fit the tone of the series thus far at all and upends so much of TLJ. I liked the attempts to lean into more horror stuff to evoke RotJ but it was just too over the top and absurd.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well people didn't like Rose and made her quit twitter remember.

So I guess who diminished role was another fuck you to TLJ lol.
yeah that's what I meant. My problems were that Rose, Finn, and Poe got stuck in a side plot and the space chase was boring. I can't even call it a sideplot in this one. It's not as boring as the slow speed chase but Rose gets NOTHING and that's really disappointing. JJ listened to the fan salt and not legit criticism

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just when you think they'd never do another Death Star, this movie literally has thousands of Death Stars in it. Facepalm so hard.

It feels like when you watch a fucking 8 year old playing with his friends and his toys.

"Ha! I have a Death Star!"

"Well, I have Starkiller Base, a planet Death Star!"

"Y-Yeah? Well, well, all my Star Destroyers are Death Stars now! So there!

Status
Not open for further replies.