• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The deranged mind can convince itself of anything. We really need hate speech laws in the country

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The bit at the end where the guy just drops the charade and gets to what he really wants -- trying to outright pick a fight with the victim -- is really fucked up.

These people are stupid bullies getting off on harassing people.

It's just a tactic to shut victims down and prevent any sympathy for them.

They don't want a David Hogg.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I honestly feel freedom of speech has failed us. Not saying these people should be jailed for saying stupid shit but I do think there needs to be criminal classifications for harassment.
There are, and it's not as if this exact issue is a matter of settled law, either. Westboro Baptist Church went all the way to the Supreme Court to (successfully) defend their right to wave offensive signs within shouting distance of funerals, and states and localities are still grappling with how to deal with things like anti-abortion protesters.

I guess my hot take is that I see stuff like this as one of the many consequences of media fragmentation, where institutions are no longer trustworthy and posts on social media that are much more individually appealing start leading people down dark rabbit holes. It's hardly exclusive to the political right, either. The Syria stuff (and things like the nerve agent attack in the U.K.) are maddening.

Oct 25, 2017
So why doesn't Youtube or Facebook or Twitter ban these videos and groups outright? There should be a billion dollar class action lawsuit by *all* victims families to force these entities to act and erase this damaging garbage off their platforms.

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. Just labeling people as stupid or mentally ill does not fix the problem of why people feel like they believe in these ideas. In your logic a person who steals food is just criminal and be thrown in jail without a second thought. What if the person lost their job and need food through stealing? What if their electricity was shut off and all food in the house has gone bad? What if a teen is kicked off onto the streets and this will be their only meal? There are reasons for why people think, believe, and act the way they do and with understanding of why people think and do these things we can understand, teach, and help fix the problems people face. Maybe you don't believe in these conspiracy theories because it takes you 5 seconds to think it's not true cause of what you know or your situation in life, but for many people they don't have that background of the subject. Some are angry with how the world is, some were dealt a bad hand and are always lied too, kids who have no parental figure to tell what's right from wrong and are seeking out truth. You can't just place a one word label on a person and expect things to be better.

I'm going to leave a link to a great TED talk about a man that once was a Neo Nazi that changed his life around and now helps others who were in similar situations he was in. His story is similar to many who have fallen into problems like racism and conspiracies and how learning and understanding can get them out of it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ted-talks-daily/id160904630?mt=2&i=1000407694108

Edit: here is a better link to the TED talk.
https://www.ted.com/talks/christian...s_neo_nazi_movement_and_how_i_got_out/up-next

Great post, I 100% agree and I'll be sure to watch that video you linked to.

There's a reason why these beliefs are so disproportionally concentrated amongst people who have so little in terms of education and wealth, and we're not going to be able to sort this problem out until we address the structural issues that create the social conditions that allow this sort of thinking to take root.

That's not to say that the people who believe these things aren't causing real harm in the world obviously. People like Alex Jones are especially nasty pieces of work.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So why doesn't Youtube or Facebook or Twitter ban these videos and groups outright? There should be a billion dollar class action lawsuit by *all* victims families to force these entities to act and erase this damaging garbage off their platforms.

The problem with social media is that they make more money with more users, especially users who post controversial material that generates activity/responses. It's how Trump got cheap FB advertising.

Not much incentive for them to ban users, especially controversial ones.

Controversy generates activity, posts, sharing, replies(even if only trolling). That's their money maker.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
if you wanted to false flag a shooting wouldn't it be easier to, you know, hire an actual shooter to do the real thing? I'm sure these same folks believe the govt blew up 3 buildings full of people, after all.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You just know that if they actually did exhume a body to show the bullet holes, they would just say that the bullet holes were added by the FBI / Deep State / Illuminati. There's no satisfying these people.

For absolute proof that these are individuals that are too far out in their minds to be saved, try engaging with any single individual who believes David Hogg "contradicted" himself to say he wasn't at the school:

https://twitter.com/alxandro/status/979535719084511234?s=21

Logic and reasoning simply do not exist to them once you begin to show them how their arguments are fundamentally flawed.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I view the crisis actor conspiracy as the result of cutting education to the point of weaponizing ignorance. It's atrocious and extremely upsetting that these people hold these beliefs and attack victims.

Oct 26, 2017
If I were one of these parents and had some asshole look me in the eye and say my dead child never actually existed and I was faking, it would take an act of God to stop me from pounding their face into a creamy pudding.

Remedy

Oct 29, 2017
Why are Americans the stupidest out of all western countries?

Trump supporters. Flat earthers. Anti-vaxxers.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I view the crisis actor conspiracy as the result of cutting education to the point of weaponizing ignorance. It's atrocious and extremely upsetting that these people hold these beliefs and attack victims.

The people in the video aren't young. They went through a relatively well funded education system in their youth and still turned in wretched cunts .

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

That's certainly a part of it. If you want to control a population, keeping them ignorant is definitely a good way to make that job easier.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
The people in the video aren't young. They went through a relatively well funded education system in their youth and still turned in wretched cunts .

Yeah I dunno. I feel like we've been underfunding schools and teachers for at least a few decades, but I don't have any research to back that up.

That's certainly a part of it. If you want to control a population, keeping them ignorant is definitely a good way to make that job easier.

It would seem that way. But perhaps the simpler explanation is that if you want to cut taxes for extremely rich people (a major driving force in politics for generations), you have to make up that lack of funding somewhere. And schools are powerless to fight back.

Of course, nothing excuses what these fuckers are doing. There are plenty of perfectly decent uneducated people out there.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It would seem that way. But perhaps the simpler explanation is that if you want to cut taxes for extremely rich people (a major driving force in politics for generations), you have to make up that lack of funding somewhere. And schools are powerless to fight back.

Well heck, when you put it that way, it's win-win. Not only do you save money, you also get a population that's a pushover to manipulate since all you have to do is throw out a few trigger words like "MAGA" or "Librul Tears!" and they let you run them through a meat grinder and thank you for it.

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The bit at the end where the guy just drops the charade and gets to what he really wants -- trying to outright pick a fight with the victim -- is really fucked up.

These people are stupid bullies getting off on harassing people.
It's just that simple. That's why proof doesn't matter. They could see bodies, birth/death certificates, video, photos, interviews, etc. and none of it will matter. The only thing that matters is attacking the people that represent the change that they fear and the empathy that they lack. They want fights. They want violence, pain and fear. They want to feel like big strong men and women by resorting to bullying kids and torturing grieving parents. They want to feel like smart people for buying into a reality that doesn't exist but one where they stand on top. They want all this but cry like cowards when even the slightest consequence comes to meet their behavior. They believe they should be able to throw their weight around to hurt as many people as they want with total impunity. It's an absolute sickness and I have zero empathy for these gross human beings. They deserve some of the worst life can offer for being some of the worst life can offer.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I wouldn't say dumb as much as ignorant to what's true and not. Lot of people feel like they don't know who to trust and feel isolated and cling to whatever truth they can find. A lot of times crazies and awful people prey on them to have followers, similar to how people like Jim Jones was able to move hundreds of followers to another community and their eventual death. A lot of times it's more about perspective of truth and less about intelligence.

I have (well, had) a friend who fell for this shit completely during the last election. He was always a 9/11 truther and scared of the government through the Bush and Obama years, but inexplicably he jumped right into the whole notion of Hillary/Illuminati/lizards planning all kinds of hideous futures for mankind and that somehow, Trump was the one guy not in on it...but then he randomly changed the narrative to "Trump is bad, but he's so bad that he'll inadvertently take down the system".

Either way, my experience of this from the outside (and occasionally peeking into the kinds of things he'd tell me about, mostly so I could figure out the exact nature of the lies and possibly how to help him see it for what it was) was that it was 100% about preying on the fears of ignorant people, often young white men. This guy in particular had also been subject to some pretty awful behavior from one of those "bad kid" camps as a teen, so he started off adulthood with a very strong fear or anyone with power or authority. The exploitation of that fear was incredibly simple, it seems. I ended up having to cut ties with him after Charlottesville. It'd been a long time coming, but his attitude coming out of that event was just so fucking gross that I couldn't deal with him on any level anymore.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I have (well, had) a friend who fell for this shit completely during the last election. He was always a 9/11 truther and scared of the government through the Bush and Obama years, but inexplicably he jumped right into the whole notion of Hillary/Illuminati/lizards planning all kinds of hideous futures for mankind and that somehow, Trump was the one guy not in on it...but then he randomly changed the narrative to "Trump is bad, but he's so bad that he'll inadvertently take down the system".

Either way, my experience of this from the outside (and occasionally peeking into the kinds of things he'd tell me about, mostly so I could figure out the exact nature of the lies and possibly how to help him see it for what it was) was that it was 100% about preying on the fears of ignorant people, often young white men. This guy in particular had also been subject to some pretty awful behavior from one of those "bad kid" camps as a teen, so he started off adulthood with a very strong fear or anyone with power or authority. The exploitation of that fear was incredibly simple, it seems. I ended up having to cut ties with him after Charlottesville. It'd been a long time coming, but his attitude coming out of that event was just so fucking gross that I couldn't deal with him on any level anymore.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's hard to be around or even try to help someone who goes too far down the rabbit hole. One of the best things to help is to change the ignorance to understanding, but when the mind gets so warped it can feel like a brick wall being built right in front of you. I'm sorry you couldn't help your friend, hopefully he finds his way out of it before a permanent mistake happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's hard to be around or even try to help someone who goes too far down the rabbit hole. One of the best things to help is to change the ignorance to understanding, but when the mind gets so warped it can feel like a brick wall being built right in front of you. I'm sorry you couldn't help your friend, hopefully he finds his way out of it before a permanent mistake happens.

Yeah, it was intense watching him just take every single thing in his life and reframe it as confirmation of everything that r/conspiracy told him. When he got kicked out of a rental situation, it was his "crazy black landlord" and not, you know, the fact that he was publicly supporting Trump in a poor neighborhood in Baltimore and putting a fucking sign in his window, failing to pay rent on time, and selling drugs out of her house. When a bunch of his random white friends told him they were no longer interested in having him room with them when they caught a whiff of his Trump support, that was of course them violating his rights instead of them not wanting to hang out with a guy who was supporting someone so clearly anti-LGBTQ, racist, sexist, etc. Most of his friends are liberal as fuck, and like me, have cut him off completely.

Last I heard, he moved out into western MD to be around more people who support Trump. So I'm not expecting any real change.

jillians

Nov 26, 2017
San Francisco
This is total absurdity. How do you develop a legal framework that can deal with these situations that doesn't potentially hinder free-speech itself or what it's actually meant to be used for? I don't understand how the world is going to fix itself from this kind of stuff. I've personally got to known people who eventually reveal how they believe this stuff, and it blows my mind. I think a "thought virus" is probably the perfect term. It's simpler to think the world is orderly and controlled in some way, even if it means bad things happen. I suppose it feels less intimidating that things are under someone's control rather than no one's control.

Unfortunately these conspiracy theorists fail to take into account how poorly humans cooperate, and how it would be virtually impossible to conspire on this scale. It would be obscenely complex to pull off, and nearly everyone would need to be in on it.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of my parents believes in this truther crap, they have told me to my face several times that David Hogg is a crisis actor and that sandy hook was a staged tragedy to pave the way for the government to take away their guns. It is disheartening for me because there is no way to change their mind at all; no evidence I can provide that will sway their opinion, only their evidence is real and everything else is doctored or manufactured to help skew the narrative towards a liberal agenda.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
MuqMpVh.gif

BhSUE4bwAdMmkB6m1nQAFMT5uSgVGmyZdti9vXv_HVS4CGzPDBSXCqiOjQBKpbrzvvXuvn-DY9OqTvuLLzs393FVvKaZn3uArtYG3AmC8F4wwGjt1qJ01w=w452-h325-nc

if you wanted to false flag a shooting wouldn't it be easier to, you know, hire an actual shooter to do the real thing? I'm sure these same folks believe the govt blew up 3 buildings full of people, after all.
It would be cheaper, easier, and harder to trace for the government to just go onto 4chan and radicalise people themselves.

The irony of these nuts is that their actions are the ones perpetuating this problem.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
25 minutes later I don't feel any closer to understanding these people.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, people following this kind of shit are so far deep into the conspiracies that they probably can't be saved. I know some of these, and it's like, they literally can not take any "official" information on face value, even when it's easily verifiable and there's no real gain lying about it. Every shooting, every terrorist attack, every natural cataclysm, everything that ever happens is faked, staged, a lie, a hoax. Suddenly all experts of ballistics, engineering, thermodynamics, virology, telling us all on a daily basis how everything that the mainstream media tells is fake, with only a few real sources of news telling it how it really is. Somehow, coincidentally, these truth speakers are always aligned with Russia. Surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the funniest shit I've ever read was people convinced the Boston Bombing was staged. Before that, I couldn't believe people could be that spooked. Now, every tragedy is blamed on actors and the government. I like my fair share of conspiracy theories but when you can see a guy's bone sticking out after his leg was blown off and you are trying to convince people it's makeup...you need help.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My own brother sends me pictures apparently "showing" how the Syria attacks were "staged" and it's just all "actors in makeup"

This is in Germany btw

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I very recently had a friend tell me that Sandy Hook didn't happen.

It was like being punched in the gut. Even now I grapple with how someone I know, someone I know is educated and has shown good judgement elsewhere in his life, could believe something like that.

One of the most disappointing moments in my life, having someone close to you personally shatter your perception of them. This was face to face, too. I was so taken aback at first I didn't know how to respond. The guy was telling me this not in a confrontational way, but in an earnest, heart to heart way. He was opening up to me that he believed Sandy Hook didn't happen. I actually felt bad to challenge him in such a moment where he was opening up to me. Like, he clearly knew this was a controversial view to hold and that expressing it would make people think down on him, and still chose to tell me.

I told him he was wrong and we changed the subject, but haven't really spoken since. Which is weird, because we used to be really close.

...Trump winning really has become that much of an eye opener on humanity itself. Even with information at our finger tips at the most ready in this nation, so many still want a crusade to occur.

What as thought was a war of perception has actually been that of the soul...

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Makes me angry to watch. I dont know how the people kept their cool. I would have been all over that idiot at the church.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the dangers of social media bubbles where everyone is living in their own Truman show with non stop positive reinformant for their actions. Other people are seen as literal actors affecting the world around them.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
They want to be crazy and racist assholes but don't want to be called crazy and racist assholes so they invent fairytales to paint themselves as the good guys.

America has a lot of weirdos.

It's that, alongside the conservative entertainment complex's efforts to convince these idiots that they are actually the smart, moral 'real' Americans. So they take that, combined with the need to feel smart and be the 'good guys'. They can't understand the reality around them, so they reject it and live in their own version of reality that they can feel intellectually, ethically and morally superior.

It all goes back to Limbaugh and Fox News.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume this is a bit like religion where people are just too scared to admit that nobody is in control of anything and we're all in the same boat without a captain. One makes up an all powerful being and the others a group of evil people.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand how these people think crisis actors could ever even work in the way they think they do. Do these actors just have no friends and family? Or is their entire family line in on it? Are they in it for life and just have to live in the area until they die? What about the people that died, who they think are actors as well? They're just erased from existence?

And its absolutely scary how many people think David Hogg is an actor because the man is good at publicly speaking.

Fucking morons. I really wish the Pastor didn't shake the guys hand near the end of the video when they met.