• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who else thinks Rocket was meeting a depressed hermit Thor in that shack in the Endgame trailer?

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking a lot about how they could tie in the Fox stuff to the MCU and honestly the only character I think they should pull directly from that universe is Deadpool. All the other Xmen can be recast and given a new origin separate from that universe. With Deadpool I think it would be fun to introduce him to the MCU through an encounter with Kronos following the events of Endgame. Since Endgame basically has to have some kind of time travel element to it, I think it would be pretty funny to have Kronos come to lecture them about the dangers of messing with time and having them vow to use the power sparingly. After they agree he leaves Deadpool in their universe and under their watch because of how wrecklessly he was changing things in the past at the end of Deadpool 2.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished through Infinity War. The third act is still phenomenal on a rewatch, even knowing what is going to happen. I mean, I saw it three times in theater, so I knew that, but a near year later viewing only confirmed it. The feat of pulling all of this together is nothing short of astounding.

Also, I'll never understand the "Quill ruined everything" complaints. While I understand being angry at him, his reaction was in character, but isn't it pretty clear he had to do what he did? Strange saw what had to happen, only one worked, so don't we have to assume this is how it went down in that one?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Man, avoiding spoilers for this movie is going to be one of the toughest things to do leading up to the film. Like I remember the dusted memes coming out days before the movie even released and being pissed that it was spoiled for me. Internet shut down will be in effect that whole week.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I am now fully up to date prior to Captain Marvel tomorrow!

So we watched Infinity War on Sunday, and my wife had quite the ride of emotions you would expect for the first view. The first ten minutes obviously set the tone, she was really enjoying Hulk beating up Thanos quickly followed by a '...what?' as Thanos turns the tables beating up Hulk and claiming his victims - 'Is Loki really dead?' as she gets a bit upset over it, as he is basically her favourite character and just in pure disbelief that, this would happen so close to the start of the movie.

Safe to say, she loved it. The moments were introduced were all as good as i remember, and she loved seeing them all together. Guardians in particular with Thor was a real highlight. We're getting closer to the end of the movie, she's astonished by the Dr Strange fight scene, naturally, and then the war back on Wakanda. She gradually starts to understand that they may not actually win this, especially as Tony gets stabbed and then is about to die. Thanos heads to Wakanda - she watches closely as the remaining avengers get swatted aside including Cap and Vision gets destroyed by Wanda - and then brought back. She basically shouts no at the same time Wanda does - and then can't believe that Thanos has got all the stones. Then a moment of pure joy as Thor comes in, she's convinced he's won the day at the end of the film. Then Thanos snaps anyway - she's totally stunned and full of what and questions, but she loved the movie and said it was her favourite so far. This was on Sunday - i went to play football on tuesday night and came back to find her watching it again. 'I couldn't get it out of my head' she claims. Job done. Piyush Masterz1337 i think you both wanted to be tagged in this.

We also watched Ant-Man And The Wasp last night. A first time viewing for both of us so it was nice to watch it together with no idea what was happening! I actually really liked this movie - i know it gets slated here and in reviews a lot, and maybe it's just because i really liked the first one, but i thought this was great. Scott is just a great character and really well played, Hope was great, especially in the action scenes and they work really well together. Nice to see Michael Douglas get some more screen time too. Thought the Ghost sub-plot was pretty interesting too. Humour was on point too, disappointed about the less usage of Luiz's stories, but i suspect too many more and it would stop being funny. OH, and that post-credits scene! Not that i needed more Endgame based questions, but now i have them tomorrow.

Captain Marvel tomorrow night in IMAX. Let's go!

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

So we watched Infinity War on Sunday, and my wife had quite the ride of emotions you would expect for the first view. The first ten minutes obviously set the tone, she was really enjoying Hulk beating up Thanos quickly followed by a '...what?' as Thanos turns the tables beating up Hulk and claiming his victims - 'Is Loki really dead?' as she gets a bit upset over it, as he is basically her favourite character and just in pure disbelief that, this would happen so close to the start of the movie.

Safe to say, she loved it. The moments were introduced were all as good as i remember, and she loved seeing them all together. Guardians in particular with Thor was a real highlight. We're getting closer to the end of the movie, she's astonished by the Dr Strange fight scene, naturally, and then the war back on Wakanda. She gradually starts to understand that they may not actually win this, especially as Tony gets stabbed and then is about to die. Thanos heads to Wakanda - she watches closely as the remaining avengers get swatted aside including Cap and Vision gets destroyed by Wanda - and then brought back. She basically shouts no at the same time Wanda does - and then can't believe that Thanos has got all the stones. Then a moment of pure joy as Thor comes in, she's convinced he's won the day at the end of the film. Then Thanos snaps anyway - she's totally stunned and full of what and questions, but she loved the movie and said it was her favourite so far. This was on Sunday - i went to play football on tuesday night and came back to find her watching it again. 'I couldn't get it out of my head' she claims. Job done. Piyush Masterz1337 i think you both wanted to be tagged in this.

We also watched Ant-Man And The Wasp last night. A first time viewing for both of us so it was nice to watch it together with no idea what was happening! I actually really liked this movie - i know it gets slated here and in reviews a lot, and maybe it's just because i really liked the first one, but i thought this was great. Scott is just a great character and really well played, Hope was great, especially in the action scenes and they work really well together. Nice to see Michael Douglas get some more screen time too. Thought the Ghost sub-plot was pretty interesting too. Humour was on point too, disappointed about the less usage of Luiz's stories, but i suspect too many more and it would stop being funny. OH, and that post-credits scene! Not that i needed more Endgame based questions, but now i have them tomorrow.

Ha I was thinking of your story watching it with your wife the other day when I was watching some people recording their family's watching the movie on youtube. This movie will always stand out as something special when the MCU is all said and done. Glad your wife enjoyed it!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how little we've seen of Endgame, compared to the lead up to IW.
For what's undoubtedly going to be the biggest movie of this year (if not one of the biggest movies this decade) it's scary how confident they are in keeping the marketing minimal. Granted, we're guaranteed to get a big trailer before that, but if they're sticking to their "we're only showing the first half hour" commitment, then damn.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Black panther wasnt that much earlier really, and we dont need to see anything of this in advance.
We are all turning up by default.

Yeah, it's not as if someone's going to see the trailer for endgame, and go "you know, i wasn't really interested before, but I think I want to see this Avengers Endgame. I hope I don't have to watch any other movie in order to understand what's going on..."

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what's undoubtedly going to be the biggest movie of this year (if not one of the biggest movies this decade) it's scary how confident they are in keeping the marketing minimal. Granted, we're guaranteed to get a big trailer before that, but if they're sticking to their "we're only showing the first half hour" commitment, then damn.
Maybe it's a meta plot that most of the marketing teams got erased with the snap.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
sorry for not updating the thread guys, life has been wild

my wife told me to take some "me" time and see captain marvel tonight, now that our baby is sleeping through the night

maybe between the break of far from home and whatever comes in 2020, i will set up a real rewatch and redo this thrrad

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio

You're not alone, my family and I really enjoyed it too. Just a fun ride the whole way with some great humor. Nice tie-in scene in the credits as well.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Ha I was thinking of your story watching it with your wife the other day when I was watching some people recording their family's watching the movie on youtube. This movie will always stand out as something special when the MCU is all said and done. Glad your wife enjoyed it!

It really will - it offers something the others don't and it's so well constructed, i don't think i'll ever get bored of watching it.
So cool! Please tell us what you both thought about the film afterwards :D

Will do!
You're not alone, my family and I really enjoyed it too. Just a fun ride the whole way with some great humor. Nice tie-in scene in the credits as well.
Glad someone else did! Really hope they do another one.

I think it just markets itself by this point, and it's smart really, it keeps the speculation going and desire to get the answers without giving anything away. Compare this with Dark Phoenix which spoils a big twist in it's trailer, apparently to get you to go and see it, but for me that actually ruins the appeal. Slightly digressing too, but i actually don't think Endgame is going to end up as the biggest monetary movie of the year. It's run is going to be massively cut into be Detective Pikachu and (i think?) Lion King so it won't quite have the free roam of the cinema that Infinity War did. I'm happy to be proven wrong and i would love it to outgross Infinity War but suspect it may end up just below it.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Frozen 2 will beat it hands down

Frozen > Endgame > Star Wars

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
How long are your evenings?! doesn't sound possible at 1x speed. But I wouldn't blame you for skipping some!

Whoops forgot to reply way back when.

Watching them a phase at a time is about 12 hours each. Tons of fun with likeminded friends, comfiest sweatpants and snacks :D Similar to watching the extended LOTR trilogy in one go. Don't skip any of the movies! We staggered them to three saturdays every two weeks so there was no fatigue in between.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen 2 will beat it hands down

Frozen > Endgame > Star Wars
I have my doubts. Every single Avengers movie has outgrossed the first Frozen - even Age of Ultron. Then again, unless they don't ramp up on Endgame's marketing there is some worry that it won't meet Infinity War's $2b.

I actually didn't realize that Detective Pikachu was releasing so closely to Endgame. Ballsy move.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I have my doubts. Every single Avengers movie has outgrossed the first Frozen - even Age of Ultron. Then again, unless they don't ramp up on Endgame's marketing there is some worry that it won't meet Infinity War's $2b.

I actually didn't realize that Detective Pikachu was releasing so closely to Endgame. Ballsy move.
Sure, but frozen ran and ran plus CD and DVD/BD sales it was a phenomenon, all those fans and the more it has gained since.
Last year it did 500k units in the USA alone https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2018
And the year before it did nearly that again!

Home Market PerformanceEst. Domestic DVD Sales $237,162,918
Est. Domestic Blu-ray Sales $160,737,646
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $397,900,564

Pikachu is counter programing

Oct 28, 2017
Posted this in the Capt Marvel thread and was told it would be more appropriate here so if anyone cares what I think LOL

Watched Thor on FXX again last night. Thor and Loki both have fantastic arcs in that movie. Brannagh's strengths as a director really come through in the family drama and in the interrogation of Thor's childish hubris. Movie has a genuinely great theme about what it means to be a mature ruler. Those early scenes between Thor, Allfather and Loki are so damn good, full of a kind of quasi-Shakespearan pathos. Some of the best stuff in all of the MCU, in my opinion. And the fish out of water segments down on earth with Thor and Jane and co. are funny and charming. What doesn't work and where you can tell Branagh is not very experienced is in the action sequences. The Yodenhein sequence is a murky blur. Terrible spatial awareness, disorienting close-ups, lots of quick edits... it's clumsy. But... none of that really matters because for Branagh the story and the characters are front and center. Very underrated movie.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You can thank the CM movie for that, most likely. They should've released it in January/early February.
Yeah, it's not as if someone's going to see the trailer for endgame, and go "you know, i wasn't really interested before, but I think I want to see this Avengers Endgame. I hope I don't have to watch any other movie in order to understand what's going on..."

A scene from Endgame is in the CM credits, similar to how Ant-Man had a Civil War scene dropped in.

iamcool388

Nov 3, 2017

Yes! My wife was pregnant when Infinity War came out so she saw it much later, and had pretty much exactly the same reactions! Its a very well crafted movie that is confident in its ability to bring out the emotional responses they want from the audience. I'm gonna watch Captain Marvel this weekend at some point, and then the excruciating wait for Endgame begins!

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yes! My wife was pregnant when Infinity War came out so she saw it much later, and had pretty much exactly the same reactions! Its a very well crafted movie that is confident in its ability to bring out the emotional responses they want from the audience. I'm gonna watch Captain Marvel this weekend at some point, and then the excruciating wait for Endgame begins!
You're right, it's just crafted perfectly and that's why i love the Russos, they just know how to make these films work. I know they are supposed to be retiring from MCU after Endgame, but i hope they come back for Avengers 5, or whatever Cap film comes next, seeing as they love that character.

So i went to see Captain Marvel over the weekend, you can find mine and my wife's spoiler filled thoughts below. Obviously don't read until you've seen the film!

I don't get the hate for this movie, i'm seeing a lot of it, and maybe it is a bit MCU-by-numbers, but we really enjoyed it. Brie is a great actress, and the wit and personality she brings to the character is fantastic and she is going to be great in Endgame, mixing it up with Stark and Strange. Suspect Thor will like her too. The combination of Fury and CM worked amazingly well, they just seemed like they were having a great time and it was great to see SLJ just having fun with the character. Disappointed that Coulson wasn't in it very much at all. Goose the cat is great.Nice little twist with the Skrulls. Stan Lee tribute was so touching, and really well done. My wife, really, really enjoyed it. When Just a girl came on she was bouncing in her seat along to it and loving it. And that post-credit scene, was not expecting that at all. Endgame hype.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Watched spider man again Saturday night and I just love the movie. I have some nitpicks but overall I think great.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in the Capt Marvel thread and was told it would be more appropriate here so if anyone cares what I think LOL

Watched Thor on FXX again last night. Thor and Loki both have fantastic arcs in that movie. Brannagh's strengths as a director really come through in the family drama and in the interrogation of Thor's childish hubris. Movie has a genuinely great theme about what it means to be a mature ruler. Those early scenes between Thor, Allfather and Loki are so damn good, full of a kind of quasi-Shakespearan pathos. Some of the best stuff in all of the MCU, in my opinion. And the fish out of water segments down on earth with Thor and Jane and co. are funny and charming. What doesn't work and where you can tell Branagh is not very experienced is in the action sequences. The Yodenhein sequence is a murky blur. Terrible spatial awareness, disorienting close-ups, lots of quick edits... it's clumsy. But... none of that really matters because for Branagh the story and the characters are front and center. Very underrated movie.

Spot On. I also felt Natalie Portman was a terrible miscast. It's almost as if they needed to get an Oscar winner to give this movie credibility.

Portman and Hemsworth are like oil and water. Hemsworth is just fine. Portman's delivery of her lines just feels awful.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Next 4 Sunday nights:
Thor ragnorak
Infinity war
Ant man and the wasp
Bonus round: into the spiderverse.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio

Spent the day sick on the couch watching movies yesterday and threw this one in for the first time in a while. I agree, it's entertaining with good character stuff throughout. Thor's arc feels pretty organic and earned for being stuffed into two hours.

I put in The Dark World after (been a few years), and I have to say it gets a lot a undeserved hate. Not as strong as the first, and ultimately unimportant in the larger MCU lore (other than the Aether being a stone). It's somewhat forgettable, but it's certainly not a bad or unentertaining film. And Heimdall seeing the invisible ship is pretty awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
Have a question that is probably appropriate for this thread: why can't Thor use the power of thunder on the ship when Thanos attacks? I presume he doesn't draw that power from Asgard, right?

And shit, I just realized that Loki is once again responsible for the deaths of so many by taking the Tesseract off Asgard.

Oct 28, 2017
Also, Tony was completely correct about destroying the Time Stone. If you destroy that Thano can't reverse Wanda and Vision's sacrifice then Thor shows up with his axe and it's game over, snap rendered moot.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Also, Tony was completely correct about destroying the Time Stone. If you destroy that Thano can't reverse Wanda and Vision's sacrifice then Thor shows up with his axe and it's game over, snap rendered moot.
With what? Wanda's powers being 'of' the Mind Stone is the only thing suggested that could possibly destroy it. Thor blasted the Aether and after it was glassed, it just reformed a second later.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Have a question that is probably appropriate for this thread: why can't Thor use the power of thunder on the ship when Thanos attacks? I presume he doesn't draw that power from Asgard, right?

And shit, I just realized that Loki is once again responsible for the deaths of so many by taking the Tesseract off Asgard.
The assumption for me is that the attack on the ship catches them off guard, then the combined power of his children and Thanos basically render Thor useless before he can do anything. He's already collapsed on the floor when we first see him.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Aside from the other excellent answers people provided, I'll point out that throwing huge bolts of lighting in a metal spaceship in deep space is probably not a super safe plan.

Also I think Thanos probably would have come after Loki even if Loki didn't have the Tesseract. I think Thanos is just very well informed, and knows that Loki was on Asgard before it was destroyed, and just assumed Loki would have the Tesseract. Really, a bunch of people died because Loki happened to be on the same ship as them... Which, admittedly, isn't really any better.

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from the other excellent answers people provided, I'll point out that throwing huge bolts of lighting in a metal spaceship in deep space is probably not a super safe plan.

Also I think Thanos probably would have come after Loki even if Loki didn't have the Tesseract. I think Thanos is just very well informed, and knows that Loki was on Asgard before it was destroyed, and just assumed Loki would have the Tesseract. Really, a bunch of people died because Loki happened to be on the same ship as them... Which, admittedly, isn't really any better.

Ehhh, maybe. The Tesseract probably would have been destroyed with the rest of Asgard from Ragnarok.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, maybe. The Tesseract probably would have been destroyed with the rest of Asgard from Ragnarok.

Maybe. But I think Thanos still would have gone looking for Loki on the assumption that Loki pulled it out of the vault before that happened. He probably still would have killed his way though the ship like he did in IW, before figuring out that Loki didn't have it.

Remember, Thanos isn't all knowing, and clearly can't track the status of the stones on his own. If he could have, he wouldn't have needed Gamora to find the Soul Stone.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on Valkyrie being in Endgame? I thought Tessa was ridiculously charming in Ragnarok
Rumors points to yes. She was apparently spotted once. And some toy had a brand new Valkyrie art piece on its packaging. Tessa has also said she has a movie coming out next month, and she doesn't have anything else coming out than Endgame that month.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if its intentional that Strange and Thanos used the Time stone differently. Strange used it to look forward in time and Thanos used it to go backwards.