• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much rewatched everything over the last few months. Going to do Ant man movies before captain marvel and do another avenger 3-movie marathon right before Avengers 4 comes out. Good times.

I could easily rewatch Avengers 1 and all the Captain America movies on repeat if I was stuck on a desert island.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I just got done watching IM2, I forgot Elon Musk was in that movie briefly, and I also am not sure I liked it as much as one. Sorry I haven't caught up yet!

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
The first Thor is so good, I am really enjoying going through all of these since I generally don't rewatch movies.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to start until probably March, but I'm excited to see all of these again. I've watched all of them in theaters and never again. Will be my second watch of everything. They're all on Netflix, right? Except Captain Marvel I guess.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long has passed between Guardians Vol 2 and Infinity War?

Seems strange that they just went right from acknowledging their feelings for each other to Gamora's sacrifice without showing any of their relationship as lovers. We get the sense that a shitload has happened to evolve Peter and Gamora's relationship, yet the relationships between everyone else in the Guardians seems about the same as where they were when Vol 2 ended.

If Baby Groot is still a Baby just a few months after Vol 1 at the start of Vol 2, then surely it's been at least a few years seeing how he is a "teen" in IW.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The first Thor is grossly underrated. Yeah, dutch angles everywhere, but watching Loki's machinations play out is just wonderful. Also, still has one of the best soundtracks in any superhero film. Doyle knocked it out of the park with this one, so clearly shown when Thor's theme played at the end of Ragnarok.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We're through Thor as of today. I forgot how much of an arrogant bastard Thor was, and that mostly continues through Ragnarok. What happened in Ragnarok and subsequently Infinity War was necessary for his character to actually grow. Thoughts on IM, Hulk, IM2, and Thor:

Iron Man - It holds up so incredibly well. They knew they had to knock it out of the park and boy did they ever. It establishes Tony Stark and who he is so well.

The Incredbile Hulk - It's the sore thumb of Phase 1. It's not terrible, but it's not that good, either. It's kind of there and isn't incredibly (pun intended) necessary overall.

Iron Man 2 - Better than I remembered it being. I'd largely forgotten most of it. I'm always down for Sam Rockwell to be a smarmy ass. The fight with the drones was really cool, but the fight with Rourke at the end of all of that was pretty lame. Tony is still trying to figure out who Iron Man actually is. One of the reasons I like Iron Man 3 a lot is because it's actually the movie in which Tony Stark figures out that Iron Man isn't the suit, it's a mindset, and Iron Man 2 sets that up well.

Thor - This is on par with Iron Man 2 for me. It's a very condensed viewing experience. I love the fight at the beginning more than the one at the end. Also felt that Hemsworth did a great job with the scene with Mjolnir. He doesn't learn anywhere near enough in this film, and as mentioned, that carries through until the end of Ragnarok.

Next up is my favorite character in the MCU Avengers - Captain America. Woo!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have I mentioned how much I love Cap? I really feel like The First Avenger is the underrated gem of Phase 1. I really don't understand the Metacritic average for it sitting at 66%. I honestly didn't even know that much about Cap as a character before this film, as my comic reading was mostly X-men, and I came out of First Avenger loving his character. Chris Evans is so good in his role here, and that just continues moving forward in the MCU.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great, goofy and pulpy adventure movie with heart. I never understood the disdain for it, it's solid at the very worst.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Have I mentioned how much I love Cap? I really feel like The First Avenger is the underrated gem of Phase 1. I really don't understand the Metacritic average for it sitting at 66%. I honestly didn't even know that much about Cap as a character before this film, as my comic reading was mostly X-men, and I came out of First Avenger loving his character. Chris Evans is so good in his role here, and that just continues moving forward in the MCU.

It is my favorite Phase 1 movie and I really think it's highly underrated.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree. It's a wonderful film, I really appreciate Johnston's direction and love the performances generally as well. The setting and pure earnestness of the film set it a part also.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

I feel 66% is accurate. Good but not great. Winter soldier is much better. It's not a close contest imo.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
still maybe my single favorite MCU scene

-Grenade-captain-america-38811108-500-200.gif

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
still maybe my single favorite MCU scene

-Grenade-captain-america-38811108-500-200.gif

Everything that happens during the training camp is pure Steve Rogers gold. I was never much of a Captain America fan, but the way they built up the sheer, undeniable DECENCY of this guy made it impossible not to root for him. I was also bowled over by just how much of an impact Stanley Tucci had with such brief screentime as Dr. Erskine. His speech to Rogers the night before the procedure was incredibly powerful. Totally sold me on the emotional upset of what happened the next day.

The First Avenger did so much to set up Cap as the heart of the MCU. Especially his inner melancholy as the man out of time. Steve Rogers's time and world are long gone; he truly does only fight for what is right on principle alone.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think both Thor and Captain America were better origin films than Ironman (and don't get me wrong, I love IM1).

Captain America seems to get a lot of love, but I never got the hate for the first Thor movie. It's fun, it's goofy, and even the Thor and Jane stuff was fun.

And that theme song...

I had a big smile on my face at the end Ragnarok when they play this during Thor's coronation on the ship.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Friends and I did age of Ultron last night. Still enjoy it more than most in think but I'm glad Whedon is gone.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Cap will have the best superhero trilogy award for a long time, far as I'm concerned.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I adore First Avenger and I never gave a fuck about Marvel Comics Cap.

It's a throwback movie to the era of pulp action-adventure revival films of the 80s and early 90s.

It strongly reminds me of The Rocketeer, which makes total sense because both were directed by Joe Johnston. It's obvious why Disney hired him and I think he nailed the tone.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Oh, I adore First Avenger and I never gave a fuck about Marvel Comics Cap.

It's a throwback movie to the era of pulp action-adventure revival films of the 80s and early 90s.

It strongly reminds me of The Rocketeer, which makes total sense because both were directed by Joe Johnston. It's obvious why Disney hired him and I think he nailed the tone.

Have you read Ed Brubaker's Cap run? That heavily influenced MCU's Cap, including where Winter Soldier came from.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
How long has passed between Guardians Vol 2 and Infinity War?

Seems strange that they just went right from acknowledging their feelings for each other to Gamora's sacrifice without showing any of their relationship as lovers. We get the sense that a shitload has happened to evolve Peter and Gamora's relationship, yet the relationships between everyone else in the Guardians seems about the same as where they were when Vol 2 ended.

If Baby Groot is still a Baby just a few months after Vol 1 at the start of Vol 2, then surely it's been at least a few years seeing how he is a "teen" in IW.

IIRC Guardians 1 and 2 take place within a few weeks of each other.

The time between guardians 2 and IW is like 3 years.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
I always loved cap tfa. It has some of the best character moments in the mcu.

One complaint about it I don't understand is that 'the action scenes are like a slideshow'. There are several action scenes in the movie, only one of which you could say that about. The action scenes aren't the fanciest but most of them work well enough.

plus I have a real soft spot in my heart for 'star spangled man'

An example of why I love cap tfa

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
What are we watching this week OP? I watched Captain America last night, soooo good. Its always funny seeing Chris Evans face CGI'd on that little body.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The entire relationship of the crew seems to be right where it left off after Vol. 2 except for Peter and Gomorrah, particularly with Mantis.

Which isn't unreasonable for a 2-3 year gap. Things progress, but often not all that fast. Especially since everyone on that ship with the exception of MAYBE two are either an idiot or emotionally stunted.

Also: G A M O R A. This isn't bible study.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which isn't unreasonable for a 2-3 year gap. Things progress, but often not all that fast. Especially since everyone on that ship with the exception of MAYBE two are either an idiot or emotionally stunted.

2-3 years spent mostly in the tight confines of a ship with the occasional life-threatening adventure would develop things a lot.

Also: G A M O R A. This isn't bible study.

tenor.gif

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018

Chris Evans really makes it gold. Taking my wife through these for the first time ever and we watched TFA last night and she loved it. The Aesthetics, the characters, everything! I haven't watched it in a couple of years either and it holds up quite well and is an enjoyable romp. We're going to Thor next..

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Cap 1 is my favorite film of phase 1 and in my top 3 of the MCU. I love how campy it gets. Even now I feel like it has the most unique identity of any MCU film.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Watched Thor last night and the wife enjoyed it the most out of Phase One films so far. Avengers tonight!

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna catch up with this through this week. My watching order is in rough chronological order, and I'm including the Marvel One-Shots in it.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
The Consultant
Captain America: The First Avenger
Agent Carter
The Avengers
Item 47
Iron Man 3
All Hail the King
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Spiderman: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I'm gonna catch up with this through this week. My watching order is in rough chronological order, and I'm including the Marvel One-Shots in it.

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
The Consultant
Captain America: The First Avenger
Agent Carter
The Avengers
Item 47
Iron Man 3
All Hail the King
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Spiderman: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame

I like your order - interesting you put the two guardians films together. I've only seen Guardians 2 once, so i can't really remember, but putting it in the watching order there, does it have any effect on the timeline or does it stand alone in it's own right?

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to watch all of Ant Man 2 to see the post credit scene? Seen both trailers, AntMan is the only mcu series I haven't watched yet.

Don_Tombery

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like your order - interesting you put the two guardians films together. I've only seen Guardians 2 once, so i can't really remember, but putting it in the watching order there, does it have any effect on the timeline or does it stand alone in it's own right?

if I'm not missing something, you can place both Guardian movies practically anywhere between Thor: 2 (the reality stone given to the Collector) or maybe even Avengers 1(introduction of Thanos) and Infinity War ('running into' Thor) since they are unconnected to everything happening on earth.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
To all the people saying they loved Captain America's pulp presentation, make sure to check out Joe Johnson's other superhero film (and probably the film that landed him the Captain America job), The Rocketeer.