• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I mean...it clarifies it pretty damn well? Him choosing to remain with Peggy in the alternate timeline probably made it difficult for him to return at the exact moment he was originally supposed to. It's not hard to assume that he returned off-screen moments before, or even through the larger portal inside the Avengers base when he knew it would be vacated.

Yeah, but... that was an alternate timeline. Meaning he couldn't have just aged into the future of the main timeline that the film follows, he would have aged into another one that he created. They even say as much later in the interview when they say that the timeline he created by doing this would have had two separate Captain Americas most likely.

The film establishes earlier on that what you change in the past isn't going to affect the present timeline, it's going to create its own separate branch. That's what I'm talking about.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
As others pointed out it's the taking them from other timelines that causes a problem, but also, matter can neither be created nor destroyed. Thanos specifically says he atomized them, which means they still exist, but they are functionally worthless to anyone other than reality itself. Taking it from another reality means it is straight up 100% gone gone, and that's the bad shit.

Ah, this was a question I had as well, but that makes sense. Though I have seen some insinuations that all this meddling is going to attract the attention of Kang the Conqueror, which would be an interesting new Big Bad.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why not? He could have been there the whole time, but knew they'd be so focused on sending his younger self back in time that they'd never notice him. And they didn't. He still had the chronal coordinates of the prime timeline in his wristband, he came back through the time platform earlier, went a distance away to the bench and waited.

I don't know why people are having trouble with any of the time travel stuff in this movie. It's extremely simple and extremely explained in the film.

What does anything I've said have to do with not understanding time travel as shown in the movie and as explicitly described by the directors? Try reading the full conversation before riffing on posts.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, but... that was an alternate timeline. Meaning he couldn't have just aged into the future of the main timeline that the film follows, he would have aged into another one that he created. They even say as much later in the interview when they say that the timeline he created by doing this would have had two separate Captain Americas most likely.

The film establishes earlier on that what you change in the past isn't going to affect the present timeline, it's going to create its own separate branch. That's what I'm talking about.
Uh...exactly? This is literally what the interview clarifies. Cap lives out his life in an alternate timeline with Peggy, and then returns to 'our' MCU timeline at some point in order to pass the torch to Sam. He just does it off-screen.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Uh...exactly? This is literally what the interview clarifies. Cap lives out his life in an alternate timeline with Peggy, and then returns to 'our' MCU timeline at some point in order to pass the torch to Sam. He just does it off-screen.

The EW interview makes it quite more open than that. It's actually an unanswered question if Cap lived through the MCU timeline or not. The answer to me is obvious: Cap came back to the love of his life, the Peggy Carter of his own timeline. Somehow, Steve did it, going against the rules established in Endgame. How? To be continued. This story isn't over just yet.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/av...aptain-america/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

The only real question is how does he return to the MCU timeline instead of an alternate reality future timeline. The Russo brothers refuse to answer that in the interview so that's the one piece that isn't clear.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
The EW interview makes it quite more open than that. It's actually an unanswered question if Cap lived through the MCU timeline or not. The answer to me is obvious: Cap came back to the love of his life, the Peggy Carter of his own timeline. Somehow, Steve did it, going against the rules established in Endgame. How? To be continued. This story isn't over just yet.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/av...aptain-america/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

What? That link explicitly says he lived it in another dimension.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The only real question is how does he return to the MCU timeline instead of an alternate reality future timeline. The Russo brothers refuse to answer that in the interview so that's the one piece that isn't clear.
That isn't a question. We literally saw in the movie that the Stark 'time GPS' wristbands allowed for that.

Loki managed to get the Tesseract and escape in one of the timelines they returned to. That created an alternate timeline, right? They were essentially living in that alternate timeline for an hour or so, and yet were still able to return to their prime universe.

Cap did the exact same thing, but just stayed there much longer. It shouldn't really matter how much time he spends there, though, because the logic is the same - it doesn't matter what you do in that 'past' timeline. You can still return to your own universe.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
What? That link explicitly says he lived it in another dimension.

Direct quote from the interview:

Falcon notices the wedding band on Old Cap's finger and asks if he'll tell him about her. "No… no, I don't think I will," the old man replies.

We know from the final shot of the movie that Cap went back and found Peggy Carter, and we know the Russo brothers say he went to live in a branch timeline, not the prime one.

Still, many fans wonder if this is a misdirect (the Russos are known for that.) Could Steve Rogers have found a way to make the timelines realign? If so, that would allow him to live in the shadows as Peggy's "secret husband" who has been acknowledged but gone unidentified so far in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This seems unlikely based on the fact that the Russos said one of the outlying questions is "how is he back in this reality?"

Having him live quietly for decades in the prime reality also creates a lot of paradoxes: Why doesn't he disrupt Hyrdra's infiltration of SHIELD sooner? Why doesn't he warn the Avengers about the coming alien invasion in 2012? Why doesn't he interfere in all the major tragedies and conflicts that we know about?

Maybe he does do those things, but it would be in the alternate universe. When he politely declines to tell Sam about his wife, it may be a nod to the audience: You don't get to know any of it either.

Still, maybe we will. Marvel Studios has already broken new ground with interlocked storytelling, so perhaps the next experiment is tiered storytelling — alternate versions of familiar tales.

I honestly think that the film - and Steve's whole arc in the MCU - speaks for itself. Steve wouldn't settle for A Peggy Carter. It's egotistical in a way that just doesn't fit the character. Somehow, during the time that he was delivering the stones, he found a way to go back to Peggy. His Peggy, not one from an alternate timeline. The one at the beginning of the film he explicitly said is the love of his life. Settling for a Peggy of a different it'd be completely out of character. I'm aware that the rules set in Endgame forbid that. But I 100% believe that somehow he did pull it off and that this is a story for another day, maybe with seeds in the Falcon and The Winter Soldier series planted. This won't be the last time we saw Captain Steve Rogers. Or Peggy.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope an interview brings up this plothole to the Russos or the writers to see if they can answer it.

Scott said he was trapped in the quantum realm for only 5 hours after 5 years had passed in the real world. But if that's true then Janet Van Dyne should still be young as all that time in the quantum realm would've only been a few days for her.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't a question. We literally saw in the movie that the Stark 'time GPS' wristbands allowed for that.

Loki managed to get the Tesseract and escape in one of the timelines they returned to. That created an alternate timeline, right? They were essentially living in that alternate timeline for an hour or so, and yet were still able to return to their prime universe.

Cap did the exact same thing, but just stayed there much longer. It shouldn't really matter how much time he spends there, though, because the logic is the same - it doesn't matter what you do in that 'past' timeline. You can still return to your own universe.

No, we didn't because what happened with your first scenario is they had a return destination and time set which is what they returned to and which Cap didn't return to at the end. Thus he had to set a new destination like they did to return to the 70s. Earlier it was established that you set a time in the past, you're in your timeline and I accept that. What isn't clear is when you set a time in the future, does the device allow you to define what dimension too?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I hope an interview brings up this plothole to the Russos or the writers to see if they can answer it.

Scott said he was trapped in the quantum realm for only 5 hours after 5 years had passed in the real world. But if that's true then Janet Van Dyne should still be young as all that time in the quantum realm would've only been a few days for her.
Ever think that maybe Hank was into older ladies? Hmm?

Jokes aside, I think the idea is that there isn't a consistent rule of how time works in the quantum realm. Not everyone who goes there by mistake is going to have the exact same experience with time passing.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Direct quote from the interview:

I honestly think that the film - and Steve's whole arc in the MCU - speaks for itself. Steve wouldn't settle for A Peggy Carter. It's egotistical in a way that just doesn't fit the character. Somehow, during the time that he was delivering the stones, he found a way to go back to Peggy. His Peggy, not one from an alternate timeline. Doing so it'd be completely out of character. I'm aware that the rules set in Endgame forbid that. But I 100% believe that somehow he did pull it off and that this is a story for another day, maybe with seeds in the Falcon and The Winter Soldier series planted. This won't be the last time we saw Captain Steve Rogers. Or Peggy.

Yes, it explicitly says it's a new timeline though. The thing is, it's still his Peggy. When he goes back, it's the MCU timeline but the second he stays to have a relationship with her, it branches. So it's his Peggy but now spawned in a new timeline. That was said in the interview you linked to.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Caption America going back and living with Peggy was the weakest part of the movie. It also made their time travelling aspect much more complex for the average Joe to understand. They also didn't show him going back in his suit. Assuming this guy's explanation that universes Branch out when new choices are made, how come the universe where there are 2 caption America not be a different branch then the prime branch where all the Canon stuff happened? If he the old captain american returned old using the same suit and machine, it would be more consistent. The only other logical conclusion is that there were always 2 captain america in the prime universe.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yes, it explicitly says it's a new timeline though. The thing is, it's still his Peggy. When he goes back, it's the MCU timeline but the second he stays to have a relationship with her, it branches. So it's his Peggy but now spawned in a new timeline. That was said in the interview you linked to.
Like I've said, I think the Russo's aren't telling us everything here. Cap in the MCU, very much like Tony, is known for pulling off impossible feats. There is a story to be told eventually here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The only other logical conclusion is that there were always 2 captain america in the prime universe.

That's an illogical conclusion that's infinitely regressive, because at some point, there has to be a separate timeline where there is no "Old Cap" present to initiate the timeline in which there are two Caps.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
you always get two types of people the ones that go plothole plothole instantly and ones with imagination and logic reasoning.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Like I've said, I think the Russo's aren't telling us everything here. Cap in the MCU, very much like Tony, is known for pulling off impossible feats. There is a story to be told eventually here.

I can accept that. My only gripe is people claiming everything is clear when there's clearly an unanswered question left on the table here that even the Russos won't answer.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Earlier it was established that you set a time in the past, you're in your timeline and I accept that. What isn't clear is when you set a time in the future, does the device allow you to define what dimension too?
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Old Cap didn't use the device to travel 'into to the future', because as you say - that wouldn't lead to the prime universe.

Instead, think of the wristbands as basically creating an anchor point in whatever universe they leave from. Cap was able to alter the time he returned slightly, but it was always going to lead back to his prime universe.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That's an illogical conclusion that's infinitely regressive, because at some point, there has to be a separate timeline where there is no "Old Cap" present to initiate the timeline in which there are two Caps.
I get it but the movie is not clear how the old captain American returned. Was it using his suit? Or he just waited until it was the right time?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Old Cap didn't use the device to travel 'into to the future', because as you say - that wouldn't lead to the prime universe.

Instead, think of the wristbands as basically creating an anchor point in whatever universe they leave from. Cap was able to alter the time he returned slightly, but it was always going to lead back to his prime universe.

How does that even work when the Russo brothers explicitly say he's in another dimension timeline? How does he get back to the main timeline then without using the device?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Cap is in possession of ALL the infinity stones when he goes back. I know the Russos said that he would deliver the soul stone in Vormir to Red Skull and that's it, BUT... would he though?

Do we even KNOW what the Soul stone does in the MCU? Because I'm pretty sure that's the one stone we haven't seen working just yet. I don't know how, but I'm pretty convinced that Steve managed to be in the prime timeline all this time, somehow.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How does that even work when the Russo brothers explicitly say he's in another dimension timeline? How does he get back to the main timeline then without using the device?
He DOES use the device. He just doesn't return at the exact moment Professor Hulk expected.

Cap somehow managed to alter the time he'd return ever so slightly, without affecting the 'anchor point' being in that universe.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Cap is in possession of ALL the infinity stones when he goes back. I know the Russos said that he would deliver the soul stone in Vormir to Red Skull and that's it, BUT... would he though?

Do we even KNOW what the Soul stone does in the MCU? Because I'm pretty sure that's the one stone we haven't seen working just yet. I don't know how, but I'm pretty convinced that Steve managed to be in the prime timeline all this time, somehow.
i am going to say it can merge 2 souls together. gamora 3.0 comes from 1+2

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
He DOES use the device. He just doesn't return at the exact moment Professor Hulk expected.

Cap somehow managed to alter the time he'd return ever so slightly, without affecting the 'anchor point' being in that universe.

The anchor point is supposed to be an exact time and place though which was established earlier when the first time they returned. So there are two methods to return. The first is using the normal return method which is what they used the first time. If that happened, he should have returned exactly as expected even if he was older. The second is to set it to jump to a specific time which seems more in line with what happened, but then how does he determine the dimension when doing that?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you think wrist bands can't be used to get back to the Primetime line? It seems to me that they can use it to return to timelines they've been- which is exactly how Cap returns the stones.

Why would the band allow him to re-jump to these alternate timelines, but not allow him to re-jump to the Prime timeline?
The anchor point is supposed to be an exact time and place though which was established earlier when the first time they returned. So there are two methods to return. The first is using the normal return method which is what they used the first time. If that happened, he should have returned exactly as expected even if he was older. The second is to set it to jump to a specific time which seems more in line with what happened, but then how does he determine the dimension when doing that?

The watches must be able to determine dimension, because that's how he returns the stones.

rtorres481

Oct 31, 2017
Thoughts about Ant-Man plot hole...
Janet entered the Quantum Realm while wearing a suit that was engineered in the 1980s. She is stuck there for nearly 20 years, and it feels like it to her.
Over the next 20 or so years, Hank Pym continues to develop and improve his tech, including the suits that are used by Ant-Man.

Scott Lang enters the Quantum Realm while wearing a suit that was engineered with 2015 technology. This suit is more advanced than the one Janet was wearing when she became trapped. It allows Scott to experience time differently from a user that is wearing the older suit. For him, 5 years is like 5 hours in the Quantum Realm.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
i am going to say it can merge 2 souls together. gamora 3.0 comes from 1+2

Watch them set up Infinity Wars, with Soul Gem Old Gamora trying to feed Devondra so she can break free, or some shit lol

45d12a7b9aceb13ce4fc5736bdfbb303-720x1106.jpg

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think wrist bands can't be used to get back to the Primetime line?
Why would the band allow him to re-jump to these alternate timelines, but not allow him to re-jump to the Prime timeline?

I guess he forget the scene where they were literally standing there waiting for him to return to the prime timeline (before they saw him on the bench).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Did they actually conduct an interview via wechat text chat?

EDIT: Ah seems it's via call. The " text log" bit at the start threw me off

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Consider this. Time is relative to the person. Remember, the present becomes his past and past becomes his future. When Cap returns to the main timeline, his timeline, he isn't going back to the future, he's going back to the present, which is his past now. So all he has to do is travel back to his past. That's what they're doing all the time.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
The MCU stopped making sense the minute Tony Stark survived shrapnal caving in his chest. At this point you just have to roll with whatever they're throwing at you and hope it's entertaining.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Depending on when that machine was set up, old Cap probably jumped into the MCU timeline when no one was around. He still had his Pym Particle on hand that he could use anytime, after all.

Yes, he had a round trip........he just didn't come back till he happily lived his life out. So he used the final return jump to give the shield back

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so minor things don't create a new timeline. Something of significance would be the only way a branch is created. And then the idea of returning the Infinity Stone back in time should stop a branch from being created.

I would think Cap jumping into the past and marrying Peggy Carter would be enough of a change to generate a branch under the rules established above plus the confirmation by the Russo brothers. So it really shouldn't matter if he laid low or did any other changes. The branch was already created.

That would only be if they hit the return button which it's being established here he did not because that's how he didn't return to the platform. Previous posts say you can jump to any point you determine and you don't need the platform, but if you hit the return, you return back to the platform at the specified time. So clearly since he didn't return to the platform and he didn't come back at the time expected, he must have programmed a different time to jump which then begs the question of how does it know which dimension to jump to?

Correct.

Also I agree on the 2nd point about Cap. Even if we'd like to entertain him marrying her in the primary timeline - it would be a drastic change and thus branch things at some point.

Your third point is where I'm unsure. How did he get back? If anything that supports the "Cap marries Agent Carter in primary timeline" theory... Which maybe the Russos will retcon or clarify? IDK.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you know captain marvel could have flown off with the gauntlet.

Let's be honest here. The reason why Ironman did it was to write Tony out of the franchise.

If she flew off with the gauntlet it would have failed at some point - as established by Dr. Strange.

The Russos answer makes enough sense - Thanos' power and resources are overwhelming and beating him was a long shot the entire time (which was the point to begin with) ... this was that one time he failed, and they made it happen against all odds.

Pretty great for a comic book (movie) ending.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you think wrist bands can't be used to get back to the Primetime line? It seems to me that they can use it to return to timelines they've been- which is exactly how Cap returns the stones.

This. Im not understanding why this is seen as mysterious.

They don't have a good answer for why strange couldn't use the time stone to reverse time for Tony to revive him.

To when?
Tony had to snap for the war to end. When is he going to rewind to? Right after tony snaps and is in the process of dying anyway?

Why?
So he can die again within a minute?

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As others pointed out it's the taking them from other timelines that causes a problem, but also, matter can neither be created nor destroyed. Thanos specifically says he atomized them, which means they still exist, but they are functionally worthless to anyone other than reality itself. Taking it from another reality means it is straight up 100% gone gone, and that's the bad shit.

I missed the atomized part. So yea, they didn't completely disappear, he just made them effectively useless.

Nice.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the answer for why it had to be tony is that it was tony's tech that allowed him to transfer the stones to himself without Thanos noticing or being able to stop it.

This is something I thought about today that until your post I hadn't seen.

Tony's suit / tech was the only way for the stones to transfer ... it's already shown in the film that he is pulling on Thanos gauntlet (which everyone tried to do before and failed) so Thanos understandably lost attention on Tony for a second - long enough for Tony to have his gauntlet on Thanos transfer the stones to his own.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone dusted now five years older or the same age? I hope Far From Home answers this because then the main core of Peter's class all got dusted too? We know Ned did. Presumably they all came back at the same age while the rest of the world aged.

Anyway, I think they did the time jump for a variety of reasons but one of them to get out of the conundrum Homecoming created by saying "8 years later".

Marvel/Feige - "It's the future and people still dab, don't think too hard about the year anymore"

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
This. Im not understanding why this is seen as mysterious.

To when?
Tony had to snap for the war to end. When is he going to rewind to? Right after tony snaps and is in the process of dying anyway?

Why?
So he can die again within a minute?
Time reversal with the time stone is / can be localized to a particular area. You see this when strange reverses time for the apple, when Thanos reverses time for Vision, etc. Time isn't reversed for things not in that area. So, Tony snaps, you remove his gauntlet, move it out of the area, then reverse time for him until before his snap.