• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
For those of you with a US Netflix account (not sure about other regions), the original Saint Seiya anime just hit Netflix with the first 41 episodes. Worth note is the fact that it includes a brand new sub track and a brand new dub. I've yet to find out the dub cast, but this is an impressive amount of work for such an old anime. I'm hoping that if this does well, the whole anime might get this English sub/dub treatment.

Will you be watching the anime for the first time? Is anyone else going to rewatch the series via Netflix? I'd love to know what you guys think of the series that I include in my top ten SJ series of all time, alongside such greats as Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ahhhhh

Always wanted to check this out.

Does 41 end of a conclusive note or just in the middle of an arc?

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Ahhhhh

Always wanted to check this out.

Does 41 end of a conclusive note or just in the middle of an arc?

I suppose it depends upon how you define arc. Kurumada called the first 13 volumes of the 28 volume manga the "Sanctuary Arc", but those can easily be divided into sub arcs.

The series' Wiki article on considers it the end of an arc, and episodes 42-73 are pretty much one big arc. Consider the last few episodes the intro/preview to Epsiodes 42-73.

It is a bit cliffhangery ending there.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. It's pretty much impossible to find subs throughout the whole show for saint seiya nowadays and obviously nothing official at the moment

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
...I'll get watching the series once someone, somewhere has the entire show. I don't want to get invested and have the rest not get licensed (yet again...)

I did a huge mistake and started with Saintia Sho, and it was onebof the worst anime I've ever seen :( I thought it could be a stand-alone spin-off/adaptation, but nah.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did they ever finish dubbing even the entire sanctuary arc originally? Who's doing this btw, because I would buy the media (again).

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
...I'll get watching the series once someone, somewhere has the entire show. I don't want to get invested and have the rest not get licensed (yet again...)

I did a huge mistake and started with Saintia Sho, and it was onebof the worst anime I've ever seen :( I thought it could be a stand-alone spin-off/adaptation, but nah.

It is worth noting that Viz has the entire 28 volume original manga fully translated and available on both Comixology and their own website, if you'd rather not wait.

Did they ever finish dubbing even the entire sanctuary arc originally? Who's doing this btw, because I would buy the media (again).

The furthest a dub has ever gone before is episode 60 IIRC. Also, I assume Netflix is having this made. I wonder if they also had the Lost Canvas dub made...

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The series is already complete in Netflix Mexico, nice. I love the Latam dub, but I'm super curious about the VA.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yeah. Last I stopped was after Seiya defeated the Silver Saint. I can finally get back to it. I hope they add the rest soon.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wow did not hear about that.

After the utter abortion that was the """remake""" I'm happy to hear they didn't throw the Saint Seiya rights away and put that much effort into rejuvenating the old one !

Do we know who is handling it ?

edit :

If that's the old ADV dub you are never getting the rest because they lost the license after episode 60.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With the original VA?
that's gonna be on my watch list stat!

Nothing can be worse than "Bootleg of the Zodiac" that Netflix made.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
This is dope. Love Saint Seiya
Also, it's the old ADV dub

Are you sure? The person who provided the subtitles noted it was a new dub.

Wow did not hear about that.

After the utter abortion that was the """remake""" I'm happy to hear they didn't throw the Saint Seiya rights away and put that much effort into rejuvenating the old one !

Do we know who is handling it ?

I wish I knew who was handling it, I've never been good at finding that kind of info sadly. A friend mentioned that the voice cast was the same as the Netflix series (minus Shun), but I haven't had the time to watch enough to be sure.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It is worth noting that Viz has the entire 28 volume original manga fully translated and available on both Comixology and their own website, if you'd rather not wait.

Oh I can wait, I have a massive backlog of stuff to watch/read as it is :x I just get annoyed when less than half of the show gets released, and then dropped and never finished :/

As for the manga, I'll just wait until SJ adds it to their sub vault. It's one of those that I want to check out, but might not be invested in to buy copies of.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How did I just find out this was on Netflix?! I browse the anime category once and I didn't see it.

Are you in Mexico (or Latam I guess)? It's weird, I put "saint" and I can see the series (the Hades OVA and the Netflix series, along the OG series), but if I try to put "saint seiya" I can't see anything. The OG series is mentioned to me as "Caballeros del Zodiaco" tho.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Oh I can wait, I have a massive backlog of stuff to watch/read as it is :x I just get annoyed when less than half of the show gets released, and then dropped and never finished :/

As for the manga, I'll just wait until SJ adds it to their sub vault. It's one of those that I want to check out, but might not be invested in to buy copies of.

Fair enough. Though I went in hardcore enough to buy the full physical manga while it was going out of print and later full digital as well.

Can you guys take screenshot / clips to show us plebs ?

No clips yet, but have the occasional screen shot:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Is the dub any good?

As for the dub, it sounds decent enough, but only a little into episode one, I can't speak with any real authority if it stays that way, or I'm still just letting hype override judgement on this, lol.

It just feels good for this franchise to finally get some love.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Fair enough. Though I went in hardcore enough to buy the full physical manga while it was going out of print and later full digital as well.

No clips yet, but have the occasional screen shot:

unknown.png

unknown.png

As for the dub, it sounds decent enough, but only a little into episode one, I can't speak with any real authority if it stays that way, or I'm still just letting hype override judgement on this, lol.

It just feels good for this franchise to finally get some love.
I need to watch this. Saint Seiya is the shit. And I'm glad this franchise is getting love too. This is an apology for the netflix series

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I need to watch this. Saint Seiya is the shit. And I'm glad this franchise is getting love too. This is an apology for the netflix series

I can't confirm the full cast, but quickly listening to Seiya from both the Netflix show and the new dub...I'm like 90% certain he's got the same VA.

Man, I wonder if we should do a LTTP/RTTP topic on the anime depending upon the poster.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I can't confirm the full cast, but quickly listening to Seiya from both the Netflix show and the new dub...I'm like 90% certain he's got the same VA.

Man, I wonder if we should do a LTTP/RTTP topic on the anime depending upon the poster.
We should. I know this anime like the back of my hand

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, I still haven't watched the remake but I'll probably just watch this instead.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait this is...a wrestling tournament?!

I know nothing about Seiya beyond the Gintama jokes. Wasn't expecting that.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That looks good !

Can I get shots of Seiya in training gear and unmasked Shaina please ? :D

Can't be any worse than the Netflix original. I'll watch.

I think the first episode is really a perfect contrast to the toned down insipid trash Netflix made instead.

Pacing, battles, music, characters motivations ... It just flows so much better.

Wait this is...a wrestling tournament?!

I know nothing about Seiya beyond the Gintama jokes. Wasn't expecting that.

They're having a wrestling tournament at first yes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
edit: The upscaling is a bit overbearing but it looks nice enough.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I watched awful fansubs on one of those terrible bootleg streaming sites years ago. Maybe I'll watch it again if it's available in Canada.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also realizing all these dudes introduced in the first episode and OP most of them aren't shit after this lol.

"Oh Jabu is the rival huh..."