• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's funny watching the OG Spanish dub with the subs on. So often they don't match at all. I always knew they were making shit up half the time when I was a kid. :P
Watch episode with Japanese audio.

Hear Shaina scream "THUNDER CLAAAAW!"

Turn the LatAm dub on and rewind five seconds.

Hear Shaina (or Shina, as she's called in the dub) scream "A MIIIII, COOOOBRAAAAA!"

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone watch episode 2.... there's a dude literally choking grizzly bears than proceeds to choke seiya, which I assume is a tennager? It's a Freaking brutal scene.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Did anyone watch episode 2.... there's a dude literally choking grizzly bears than proceeds to choke seiya, which I assume is a tennager? It's a Freaking brutal scene.

Seiya is 14yo! And Cassios, the first guy he fights is supposed to be 15 lol. And yes, the series ir super brutal with its violence, it shocked little kid me even more than Robocop

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Seiya is 14yo! And Cassios, the first guy he fights is supposed to be 15 lol. And yes, the series ir super brutal with its violence, it shocked little kid me even more than Robocop

Seiya's 13 actually. The Bronzes vary in age from 13 to 15, and Seiya's on the younger side (thank you manga character guide).

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching that episode. Saint Seiya is a pretty violent show, definitely more violent than something like DBZ. Seiya getting choked is pretty mild in comparison to some of the other shit that happens

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching that episode. Saint Seiya is a pretty violent show, definitely more violent than something like DBZ. Seiya getting choked is pretty mild in comparison to some of the other shit that happens

Well, it was the 80s when there was all sorts of ultra-violent anime. I mean, I still can't believe Fist of the North Star was also featured in Weekly Shonen Jump :x

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Seiya's 13 actually. The Bronzes vary in age from 13 to 15, and Seiya's on the younger side (thank you manga character guide).

Damn, even younger, luckily in LATAM they never mentioned anyone age because there's no way I would've believe it, before I knew their real ages I was surprised, to me Seiya and co. were something around 19-20 and the gold saints in their mid-30s at the very least.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018

Oh, the manga is way more violent than the anime.

It's an illusion, but this is what poor Wolf Nachi sees during his fight with Ikki.

Nachi+desmembrado.JPG

Well, it was the 80s when there was all sorts of ultra-violent anime. I mean, I still can't believe Fist of the North Star was also featured in Weekly Shonen Jump :x

And like Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star's manga was way more violent than the anime. Like, detailed internal organs and such. Dragon Ball actually had a little violence added in places, though toned down in others.

Damn, even younger, luckily in LATAM they never mentioned anyone age because there's no way I would've believe it, before I knew their real ages I was surprised, to me Seiya and co. were something around 19-20 and the gold saints in their mid-30s at the very least.

Lol, I always doubted these teenagers would make it past 20 with the level of physical trauma endured through these fights.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, the manga is way more violent than the anime.

It's an illusion, but this is what poor Wolf Nachi sees during his fight with Ikki.

Nachi+desmembrado.JPG

And like Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star's manga was way more violent than the anime. Like, detailed internal organs and such. Dragon Ball actually had a little violence added in places, though toned down in others.

Lol, I always doubted these teenagers would make it past 20 with the level of physical trauma endured through these fights.

Oh wow, yup that looks like 80s' gore! I'm actually surprised this series is actually on par with Fist :x Figured it would be violent and bloody, but not quite to that degree :p

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Oh wow, yup that looks like 80s' gore! I'm actually surprised this series is actually on par with Fist :x Figured it would be violent and bloody, but not quite to that degree :p

Most of the overly extreme violence in the manga is Ikki messing with people's heads via the Phoenix Genma Ken, though there are moments of rather painful looking injuries.

Jun 2, 2019
I hope it will come in France.
The new cgi is so shitty that my childhood cried.

I don't understand how they didn't put in in Europe. Spain, France and Italy along with LatAm were the main audiences of the anime not only back then but also when it came back with Hades chapter: Sanctuary (Along with the new craze, the myth cloth figures and stuff)

Anyways, happy for the NorthAm people if the series manage to get an audience and they can see it through the end. One of the most epic animes of its time.

And even then, the OVA and movies never got as far as the manga got.

Not really. Next Dimension advancement is slow as molasses and the whole marketing push got fucked up when Lost Canvas got cancelled. Sould of Gold didn't manage to reinvigorate the series and the new figures are being presented/announced at a glacial pace.

Kinda hoping this new push from netflix revives the marketing too. Saint Seiya figures are among the most impressive anime figures.

DBbJ8qrl_o.jpg
2N2pKfzB_o.jpg
rlFp3eeL_o.jpg

They are kinda hard to find now, even at release. Back in the lastest craze you could just enter a toy shop and find them, the boxes and instructives were even localized.

Last edited:

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
For those of you with a US Netflix account (not sure about other regions), the original Saint Seiya anime just hit Netflix with the first 41 episodes. Worth note is the fact that it includes a brand new sub track and a brand new dub. I've yet to find out the dub cast, but this is an impressive amount of work for such an old anime. I'm hoping that if this does well, the whole anime might get this English sub/dub treatment.

Will you be watching the anime for the first time? Is anyone else going to rewatch the series via Netflix? I'd love to know what you guys think of the series that I include in my top ten SJ series of all time, alongside such greats as Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Nice! I had just tried to check this out a few weeks ago and I was disappointed that it wasn't streaming anywhere. Good stuff.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand how they didn't put in in Europe. Spain, France and Italy along with LatAm were the main audiences of the anime not only back then but also when it came back with Hades chapter: Sanctuary (Along with the new craze, the myth cloth figures and stuff)

Anyways, happy for the NorthAm people if the series manage to get an audience and they can see it through the end. One of the most epic animes of its time.

Not really. Next Dimension advancement is slow as molasses and the whole marketing push got fucked up when Lost Canvas got cancelled. Sould of Gold didn't manage to reinvigorate the series and the new figures are being presented/announced at a glacial pace.

Kinda hoping this new push from netflix revives the marketing too. Saint Seiya figures are among the most impressive anime figures.

DBbJ8qrl_o.jpg
2N2pKfzB_o.jpg
rlFp3eeL_o.jpg

They are kinda hard to find now, even at release. Back in the lastest craze you could just enter a toy shop and find them, the boxes and instructives were even localized.

Huh, you reminded me that I still have a boatload of these to sell...

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i have the bronze saints in both the 2nd and 3rd cloth and the 12 gold saints at least, just waiting for me have a decent enough space to put them on it.

I have all the Bronze Saints, Shun and Seiya in their God Cloth, Hypnos, Poseidon, a couple of the silver Saints... Orpheus, Hades, Gemini, Aries and several other Gold Saints.

They're exceptionally hard to sell over here, and I haven't yet found any communities where there are actually people interested in buying them. Maybe I should try MFC.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I don't have any attachment to the ADV dub I thought it was average at best and the Dic dub was god awful.

Jun 2, 2019
I have all the Bronze Saints, Shun and Seiya in their God Cloth, Hypnos, Poseidon, a couple of the silver Saints... Orpheus, Hades, Gemini, Aries and several other Gold Saints.

They're exceptionally hard to sell over here, and I haven't yet found any communities where there are actually people interested in buying them. Maybe I should try MFC.

Phew...

I would ask for the bronze saints figures, but honestly the price scares me ^^U Lately these are collector figurines, and a hard sell due the lack of popularity of the series as of now.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Phew...

I would ask for the bronze saints figures, but honestly the price scares me ^^U Lately these are collector figurines, and a hard sell due the lack of popularity of the series as of now.

I don't even know what they'd usually go for. I have the greyscale box release that they did forever ago, where they sold them all bundled together and such. I'm sitting on the Genealogical Gold Version of Seiya, too. The one they released with actual Gold plating and such. But the lack of platforms to sell them on, and actual ways to make up a price (looks like MFC is lacking, there) just makes this needlessly difficult. :/

Jun 2, 2019
I don't even know what they'd usually go for. I have the greyscale box release that they did forever ago, where they sold them all bundled together and such. I'm sitting on the Genealogical Gold Version of Seiya, too. The one they released with actual Gold plating and such. But the lack of platforms to sell them on, and actual ways to make up a price (looks like MFC is lacking, there) just makes this needlessly difficult. :/

Ooooooh so you have the repainted version compatible with the 3rd cloth bronze saints! Yeah i remember those, i was *this* close to getting them.

Take a look at eBay, that's a good platform for selling them. Don't expect to sell them quickly though.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ooooooh so you have the repainted version compatible with the 3rd cloth bronze saints! Yeah i remember those, i was *this* close to getting them.

Take a look at eBay, that's a good platform for selling them. Don't expect to sell them quickly though.

Yeah, I'm afraid that I'll be stuck to ebay for them. Usually I move the remaining Figma I sell through facebook, but that's a miserable platform for Transformers and Saint Seiya stuff. I wish Era had a BST thread. XD

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, I'm afraid that I'll be stuck to ebay for them. Usually I move the remaining Figma I sell through facebook, but that's a miserable platform for Transformers and Saint Seiya stuff. I wish Era had a BST thread. XD

Yeah, chogokin and Saint Seiya stuff is pretty niche, Saint Seiya even more since the craze ended, not an easy sell on places like Fb marketplace.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, chogokin and Saint Seiya stuff is pretty niche, Saint Seiya even more since the craze ended, not an easy sell on places like Fb marketplace.

Maybe a proper US release will change that. It's not like I want to overcharge on them anyway, after a quick glance, most of them are in the 20 EUR sector, with a few outliers like Genealogical Gold. Fingers crossed for a revival in interest.

Jun 2, 2019
Maybe a proper US release will change that. It's not like I want to overcharge on them anyway, after a quick glance, most of them are in the 20 EUR sector, with a few outliers like Genealogical Gold. Fingers crossed for a revival in interest.

Where are you from by the way? I'd happily buy the 2nd cloth bronze saints from you for about 30 € each or so. I really regret not getting them at its time, paintjob was soooo much better than the original release

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
They added the entore series in brasil. The intergalactic war, the whole sanctuary arc, the asgard arc and the poseidon arc. Man im so excites to watch it all again, hopefully they complete it for the US, specially the sanctuart arc, its the greatest.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Where are you from by the way? I'd happily buy the 2nd cloth bronze saints from you for about 30 € each or so. I really regret not getting them at its time, paintjob was soooo much better than the original release

I'm sitting in Germany. If you want I can dig them up during the course of the week and shoot you a few pictures.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In LatAm Netflix we get the entire show with the classic dub.

Netflix know their audience. Now, if only they could bring the movies...

By the way, unless you was Naruto or Bleach, traditional mainstream streaming sites (at least here in México) never bring long anime series, but it seems it's changing. I discovered Prime Video bring the entire series for Inuyasha (yeah, including The Final Act) and the movies, only Latam dub, but who cares, Enzo Furtuny is my Inuyasha. I'm liking this trend to be honest, now only need Ranma 1/2 and 90s Clamp animes.

Jun 2, 2019
I'm sitting in Germany. If you want I can dig them up during the course of the week and shoot you a few pictures.

Yes please. It would be one at a time, but i'm really interested

Well I doubt it can succeed, Here you can read about the Two previous knights of the zodiac / saint Seiya English dubs did. They had their problems but I still don't see how this old anime can find a large English fanbase even if a great dub is done.

I think it is a combination of factors, but it really doesn't feel like an anime that would resonate with the US audience. Still it's worth a try. I just hope it finds its audience this time, because it's easily one of the best animes of its era.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes please. It would be one at a time, but i'm really interested

I think it is a combination of factors, but it really doesn't feel like an anime that would resonate with the US audience. Still it's worth a try. I just hope it finds its audience this time, because it's easily one of the best animes of its era.

Will try to get pics to you by the weekend. :D

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watch episode with Japanese audio.

Hear Shaina scream "THUNDER CLAAAAW!"

Turn the LatAm dub on and rewind five seconds.

Hear Shaina (or Shina, as she's called in the dub) scream "A MIIIII, COOOOBRAAAAA!"
lol yeah I was switching between languages in the first episode out of curiosity. So bad. But so good.

I'm glad the dub hid that little factoid. All of them being little kids is too absurd.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
lol yeah I was switching between languages in the first episode out of curiosity. So bad. But so good.

I'm glad the dub hid that little factoid. All of them being little kids is too absurd.

I mean, it's a shonen series. It's fairly common for shonen series to have young protagonists. Seiya having started his training at 7 is the real impressive thing. Little guy was lucky he didn't die.

May 13, 2019
I mean, it's a shonen series. It's fairly common for shonen series to have young protagonists. Seiya having started his training at 7 is the real impressive thing. Little guy was lucky he didn't die.
I still remember that scene where they show people throwing the corpses of all those who die while training down a cliff like they were nothing but yesterday's trash.