• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I've always enjoyed looking at Seiya SH Figuarts. They are really nice! There's a local snack shop here where the owner has a bunch of glass cases full of his figures. On one side are his Seiya figures, and the gold ones are soooo nice looking! It looks like nowadays they are mostly Bandai exclusive, and every time I see one import site I use put them up, they sell out pretty much immediately :x

They're actually not Figuarts, they're Myth Cloth/Myth Cloth EX (and I think they made a new line), but close enough I guess. :)

Like other high end Bandai items like Macross valks, they sell out almost immediately when they're posted on amiami and the like. I have no idea what it's like in Japan, though, I assume they come out in specialty stores and are still hard to get? It seems like the series is still fairly popular in Japan and LATAM considering they continuously make new anime/manga spinoffs.

Someone mentioned that in the US, the toys were plentiful, but those were the Bandai America toys. They actually made a bigger set of "armored" toys but I don't think they even finished the main five, let alone branching out past that. Otherwise, all they had were like crappy action figures. Though it was like a golden age of domestic Bandai toys, they had SD Gundam toys, Ultimate Muscle toys, and MSIA Gundam toys made almost exclusively for the US.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix needs to add the OVA's too, at least the Asgard one for the best Cloth ever made:
latest

Is the asgard arc not in the manga, if it isn't, than this makes it the best fillers ever

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Armor being called "cloths" is one of the greatest Engrish phrases in anime

Oh, there are some interesting armor names for later, but for this part of the series, enjoy the Cloth.

Here's an image of what the Pegasus Bronze Cloth looked like at the start of the manga so you can contrast it to the anime:

latest

The manga is full of Cloth Diagrams to show you how they turn from Constellation form to Armor form. It's a nice little bonus for the read.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, there are some interesting armor names for later, but for this part of the series, enjoy the Cloth.

Here's an image of what the Pegasus Bronze Cloth looked like at the start of the manga so you can contrast it to the anime:

latest

The manga is full of Cloth Diagrams to show you how they turn from Constellation form to Armor form. It's a nice little bonus for the read.

Man...call me crazy but that almost could be like a transformer I mean I would have to see it in a toy format, but that looks like a 3d cad.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

latest

So he wears the asshole on his chest? Huh.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

latest

I always thought they were really cool as a kid but it's basically BS because so much just folds up into some pocket dimension and magically changes sizes. Like I always thought the cartoon helmets for the first cloths were ugly but they kind of had to make them that way for the toys to work (later toys just hung the little headpiece on the cloth mode and called it a day).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

latest

Wait are his boots part of his pants?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of things from the anime are better than the original Saint Seiya manga to be honest (most obviously the artstyle in general)

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The new English dub is amazing and I need them to finish it so I can watch it that way. The Latam dun is nostalgic but also basura, so the new version is a God send.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Latin America's Netflix got all of the orginal saint seiya along with the hades arc being separate.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Got to Ikki's introduction and him stealing the Sagittarius cloth and wow they build up the shit out of him, lol. So many reactions to him just standing there.

And lol at Wolf thinking he could do anything to Ikki.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Got to Ikki's introduction and him stealing the Sagittarius cloth and wow they build up the shit out of him, lol. So many reactions to him just standing there.

And lol at Wolf thinking he could do anything to Ikki.

Ikki trashing everyone from Seiya to Tatsuimi and Saori when he was introduced is what got me hooked on the series as a kid lol, well that and the ultraviolence

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I'm one of those crazies who think the manga is better.

Also, that the Galaxian/ Ikki/ Silver Saints part is where the series peaked.

But it'll be nice for more people to experience this.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I was lucky enough to see Kageyama Hironobu live, and being able to see Soldier Dream and Cha La live is something I'll always cherish!

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm one of those crazies who think the manga is better.

Also, that the Galaxian/ Ikki/ Silver Saints part is where the series peaked.

But it'll be nice for more people to experience this.

I agree about the manga, disagree about where it peaked.

But yeah, more people getting to experience Saint Seiya is a good thing in my book. Here and now may be the franchise's best chance to grow in among English-speaking anime fans.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching it here in Australia with the LatAm dub. *chef's kiss*

I also have the Spanish subs on as well, which presumably match up to the original Japanese track and I have to say, the way the people who wrote the LatAm script just up and ignored all the incomprehensible English loan word BS in the Japanese (cloths, seriously?), while adding the poetry, melodrama and flair of a good telenovela was just a special mix that would never be replicated today, especially with so many "accuracy" purists running around.

You English only speakers are missing out.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm watching it here in Australia with the LatAm dub. *chef's kiss*

I also have the Spanish subs on as well, which presumably match up to the original Japanese track and I have to say, the way the people who wrote the LatAm script just up and ignored all the incomprehensible English loan word BS in the Japanese (cloths, seriously?), while adding the poetry, melodrama and flair of a good telenovela was just a special mix that would never be replicated today, especially with so many "accuracy" purists running around.

You English only speakers are missing out.

Honestly, I prefer the manga in the naming regard. It still has Cloth and other English words, but there are also other language attack names. In the manga, there was no Aurora Thunder Attack, he had the Kholodinyi Smerch, which is Russian (it was more of a haymaker IIRC). I recall several Greek attack names as well.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've never really watched Saint Seiya, but I love the theme song. I've sung it at karaoke. haha. Six seasons are on Japanese Netflix... but it's just too long. Like 5 years ago, I was going through many of the famous Shonen manga that were influential, but from what I heard, Saint Seiya wasn't worth going all the way through.

Also, Seiya is one of the best characters in Jump Ultimate Stars.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this come to Spanish Netflix at some point. Good memories.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Ah episode 4, I always did love Seiya and Shiryu's fight. Also the first time Seiya lost braincells from severe head trauma, poor guy, lol.

Dragon Shiryu, there's how you do a second, Jabu.

They didn't which is such a shame, the Abel and Aasgard Ovas have great designs

...OVAs? Those are films. Short films, but films nonetheless.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
All through Elementary school I would go to Mexico over summer break from the U.S, and watching Caballeros del Zodiaco was one the things I would look forward to.

I can finally watch this is order.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The original anime is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good
I (re)watched it not that long ago when a friend managed to get the chinese/whatever version subbed in english (voices in Japanese but the packaging wasn't in Japanese or english and there was chinese subs included).
Can't complain about the original VA (since there's no French VA in the US) with subs that doesn't feel like vintage 2005 google trad.

The music is glorious, I can't say how much I missed the fantastic work they did.
And Asgard HAS TO COME SOON.

I swear 2019 is something else.
I can't tell how many stuffs I wanted I got, between this, collection of Mana, Mario Maker 2 and so on.
They can already drop the shitty Netflix Bootleg of the Zodiac and just put the original show on repeat.
I could say I prefer the manga, but the manga doesn't have Asgard.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
The original anime is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good
I (re)watched it not that long ago when a friend managed to get the chinese/whatever version subbed in english (voices in Japanese but the packaging wasn't in Japanese or english and there was chinese subs included).
Can't complain about the original VA (since there's no French VA in the US) with subs that doesn't feel like vintage 2005 google trad.

The music is glorious, I can't say how much I missed the fantastic work they did.
And Asgard HAS TO COME SOON.

I swear 2019 is something else.
I can't tell how many stuffs I wanted I got, between this, collection of Mana, Mario Maker 2 and so on.
They can already drop the shitty Netflix Bootleg of the Zodiac and just put the original show on repeat.
I could say I prefer the manga, but the manga doesn't have Asgard.

Can't agree more on the music, Saint Seiya was one of Toei's finest when it came to music. Solid voice acting from Japan as well. Early filler pre-Sanctuary could have used some work, that's for sure.

Kurumada's manga never really diverges from proper Greek Mythology. Well, I mean, there's the Blue Warriors for that Hyoga chapter, but they're basically an atheist force in the North:

latest

But for the most part, Kuru doesn't touch many myths. Plenty of spin-offs, fillers, movies, etc do end up covering unique myths.

Still, I like what we get with the core Greek Myth, and can't wait to further progress on
returning to the future and dealing with an enraged Olympus. They've about had it with Athena's actions since being reborn as Saori Kido. Artemis straight up feels pity for Athena given what's about to befall her.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Can't agree more on the music, Saint Seiya was one of Toei's finest when it came to music. Solid voice acting from Japan as well. Early filler pre-Sanctuary could have used some work, that's for sure.
The steel saints are part that really should have been cut.
The funny thing about SaintSeiya's fillers is that they're regular Toei fillers at the start (like you would see in any show of the time like Dragon Ball, so basically inconsequential fillers with lower quality everything and that's it).
And then boom, Asgard with fantastic designs (the only fighters that are clearly color coded, since they were never designed for monochrome medium of manga) with the best writing, music and characters you can be sad to see go.
If Naruto had fillers of that level, no one would complain!

Kurumada's manga never really diverges from proper Greek Mythology. Well, I mean, there's the Blue Warriors for that Hyoga chapter, but they're basically an atheist force in the North:

I remember that part, it's inbetween the 2nd movie and Asgard in a way.
It feels like the Obito chapter in Naruto, fun to read but not really consequential (as in you can miss it and not lose all that much, it's important in Naruto though).
But for the most part, Kuru doesn't touch many myths. Plenty of spin-offs, fillers, movies, etc do end up covering unique myths.

Still, I like what we get with the core Greek Myth, and can't wait to further progress on
returning to the future and dealing with an enraged Olympus. They've about had it with Athena's actions since being reborn as Saori Kido. Artemis straight up feels pity for Athena given what's about to befall her.
EpisodeG was fun to read and had some nods to other myths that were really fun to see, with an egyptian god that was actually a titan in disguise.
Next Dimension is really much better now but we're never getting the end and Lost Canvas is the best thing to come out of Saint Seiya if I'm being honest.
There's an end goal in sight and everything for ND but it doesn't have the same energy as the original (not that I wish the original weekly schedule on Kuramada if I'm honest) and a lot of the issues of the original manga kinda got magnified in ND too.
Hopefully Netflix manages to make something watchable and we get ND in some form as well.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
The steel saints are part that really should have been cut.
The funny thing about SaintSeiya's fillers is that they're regular Toei fillers at the start (like you would see in any show of the time like Dragon Ball, so basically inconsequential fillers with lower quality everything and that's it).
And then boom, Asgard with fantastic designs (the only fighters that are clearly color coded, since they were never designed for monochrome medium of manga) with the best writing, music and characters you can be sad to see go.
If Naruto had fillers of that level, no one would complain!

I remember that part, it's inbetween the 2nd movie and Asgard in a way.
It feels like the Obito chapter in Naruto, fun to read but not really consequential (as in you can miss it and not lose all that much, it's important in Naruto though).

EpisodeG was fun to read and had some nods to other myths that were really fun to see, with an egyptian god that was actually a titan in disguise.
Next Dimension is really much better now but we're never getting the end and Lost Canvas is the best thing to come out of Saint Seiya if I'm being honest.
There's an end goal in sight and everything for ND but it doesn't have the same energy as the original (not that I wish the original weekly schedule on Kuramada if I'm honest) and a lot of the issues of the original manga kinda got magnified in ND too.
Hopefully Netflix manages to make something watchable and we get ND in some form as well.

I just wish Toei would have kept some of the manga colors. Ikki's Phoenix Bronze Cloth being orange looked great.

One day Netflix will bring Asgard to the list, and I'll watch it after finishing Sanctuary.

Well, it was a fun chapter to give Hyoga something to do if nothing else.

Really, I imagine Toei's going to do something with Next Dimension once this current part ends and we progress to the next events.

Man, I'd kill to see that scene of Virgo Shijima and Virgo Shaka fighting each other using the Sound of the End of the Universe and the Light of the Birth of the Universe against one another. Shaka acknowledging he came to the past from Nirvana through his own blood in Shun's Cloth because Shun was his successor, the next Virgo Gold Saint, was amazing. I loved that all the Bronzes were getting recognition from the Gold Saints whose Gold Cloths they wore for a time.

OP
OP
Mewzard

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
What about Shaka and all the Buddhist stuff?

Well, I guess you could say he never goes to another old seldom practiced Mythology verses an active religion with the whole bits of Buddhism that comes with Virgo Shaka (though even Shaka makes a distinction between himself and the gods, though he is referred to as "the Man Closest to God").