• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
Because it isn't as open as Super. I personally love the fact that it's just a bit more linear and focused as the horror elements wouldn't work otherwise. And yes, the bosses were a straight up nightmare.
Agreed, and I don't think the level design suffered by it either. Also, I see what you did there lol.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Samus Returns also only runs in 30fps, which automatically makes it a subpar Metroid game.

They should also just release Zero Mission and Fusion on Switch.

Good topic!

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Super and Fusion are incredibly great games but Zero Mission is not at the same level imo. It's a good game, tho.

OP can't just put Metroid 1/3/4 as a trilogy and create an excuse to exclude 2 tho haha Super Mario 1/3/World should count in this case as well.

It's hard to think about a 2D trilogy with only great games. Snes FFs would be a good pick but imo FFIV didn't age that well. Mother is really solid tho the first one needs that easy ring to be enjoyable.

Actually I just thought of three games that are at least on par with this trilogy! Koji Igarashi's DS Castlevania trilogy... if that counts.

180024b.jpg

!!e!UgjwCGM~$(KGrHqV,!h8E0FEELDNgBNP3Wv6JS!~~_1.JPG

!!eBfblQB2M~$(KGrHqYOKk!E0f5BWpDMBNQt5y0z)w~~_1.JPG

Ecclesia is great, Dawn is really good. Portrait of Ruin is kinda meh imo.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
What do you find flawed with Fusion? Zero Mission does improve in a good deal of areas when compared to Fusion, but I still personally prefer Fusion. Depending on what you find flawed with Fusion, ZM still may or may not be worth your time.

I think the fact that it locks you up to each area until you complete it kinda sucks the joy out of the game.
Exploration is the main reason why I play a metroidvania in the first place.

For what it's worth i found Zero Mission one of the best Nintendo game ever and it's infinitely better than Fusion. I guess play it and and see what you think.

Good to see a different opinion then. Thanks. I will.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that it locks you up to each area until you complete it kinda sucks the joy out of the game.
Exploration is why I play a metroidvania in the first place.

Yeah it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It does open up a smidge compared to fusion and is more hands-off but it's still really hand holdy.

Instead of talking to a computer who tells you what to do and where to go, you're stranded on zebes but the Chocobo Chozo Statues/Save Points serve as a form of indicator as to where you're supposed to go next.

550611-914982_20040220_075.jpg

it doesn't really give you much more indication of where to go other than the yellow/red dot, though. Exploring still is involved but if you managed to make it through at least one non-linear metroid game than you'll probably find it too hand-holdy.

Now, instead of Zero Mission as your next playthrough, might I recommend Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R)? If you haven't played that yet you'll probably have a blast.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It is a very good trilogy if we folow your strange goalpost slalom. And they are some of the best Metroidvenias. I like the Quintett trilogy a bit more though. And Donkey Kong Country is definitely a contender.
Also, why are you doing your own franchise dirty? (Shyguy)
Actually I just thought of three games that are at least on par with this trilogy! Koji Igarashi's DS Castlevania trilogy... if that counts.

180024b.jpg

!!e!UgjwCGM~$(KGrHqV,!h8E0FEELDNgBNP3Wv6JS!~~_1.JPG

!!eBfblQB2M~$(KGrHqYOKk!E0f5BWpDMBNQt5y0z)w~~_1.JPG
Not a trilogy. You can't separate Aria from Dawn. Not even by some rules fuckery like OP does. There should've been a third Sorrow game and then we have a contender trilogy. But this is now impossible. Although Bloodstained might give us a contending trilogy.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those are 3 incredible games, but counting Metroid 1 Remake, Metroid 3, and Metroid 4 as a trilogy is nonsense.

Makes as much sense as saying SMB1, SMB3, and SMW is in fact the greatest 2D gaming trilogy.

Oct 26, 2017
Also the Prime series doesn't feel anywhere near as fun to play as the 2D entries. I honestly don't think Metroid translates well into 3D, and I know I'm in the minority on that.

Samus' speed of movement, agility and precision are extremely difficult - if not impossible - to replicate in 3D, so I definitely hear you!

Exploring, backtracking and/or getting lost in an alien environment is much more fun when you have precise control over a fast and agile character.

Also environmental visibility and clarity are better in 2D.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Those are 3 incredible games, but counting Metroid 1 Remake, Metroid 3, and Metroid 4 as a trilogy is nonsense.

Makes as much sense as saying SMB1, SMB3, and SMW is in fact the greatest 2D gaming trilogy.

Super Mario World has a direct sequel that is SMW2: Yoshi's Island. So you can't leave this out.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I think the best trilogy is Mario 3, Mario World, and Mario Kart 8.

Fifa 17, 18 s
Yeah it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It does open up a smidge compared to fusion and is more hands-off but it's still really hand holdy.

Instead of talking to a computer who tells you what to do and where to go, you're stranded on zebes but the Chocobo Chozo Statues/Save Points serve as a form of indicator as to where you're supposed to go next.

550611-914982_20040220_075.jpg

it doesn't really give you much more indication of where to go other than the yellow/red dot, though. Exploring still is involved but if you managed to make it through at least one non-linear metroid game than you'll probably find it too hand-holdy.

Now, instead of Zero Mission as your next playthrough, might I recommend Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R)? If you haven't played that yet you'll probably have a blast.

Do you think I should try this one instead of Return of Samus on 3DS?

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Counter point: Fusion isn't great and was the genesis of Metroid becoming basic anime that ruined Other M. The mission based gameplay I also didn't care for.

Zero Mission is okay but needlessly explored Samus' past. Both ZM and Fusion felt the need to add context to a series that was great because it lacked context.

That said, I'd be hard pressed to name a better 2D trilogy.

Maybe R Type.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I agree, I actually completed Zero mission and Fusion over 50 times thanks to portability and how awesome they are. Fusion is my favorite Metroid game.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
The Mother trilogy would extremely beg to differ.

Zero Mission and Fusion are too linear for metroidvanias.

I get Fusion being linear, but Zero Mission? It may look like it in a first playthrough but the game really gives you a chance to explore any way you want. The physics have been changed enough to simplify wall jumping, infinite bomb jumps, etc. and make them a valid part of exploration and sequence breaking, shortcuts are hidden everywhere and the game actually rewards you by using these to avoid seemingly necessary items and finish the game with less than 15% of them in total. Lowest % of items possible is I think 8% or 9%. It lacks the infamous glitches of Super, but it's purposefully designed to be open and viable for speedrunning.

All that is, admittedly, up until the pirate ship bit but that's quite short and rewards you with weapons to destroy anything in your way anyway. So I'll forgive it.

Fusion is totally linear, though. Still great, mind.

There are loads of folks who think that Zero Mission is the best in the trilogy.

Right here.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yeah, probably, though it's weird just saying any 3 games in a series is a trilogy.

Usually a trilogy means the 3 make up one whole, like the 3 acts of a Greek play.

Those games are amazing, but it sounds like you're cherry picking them to avoid talking about the other 3 games.

You can just say that the Metroid series is the best 2D series if that's what you want.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Zero Mission is different enough from Metroid on NES as it is far more linear, plus it adds cutscenes and the Zero Mission in the end. So I feel Sakamoto made it his own even though he wasn't the director of the original game.
Zero Mission isn't linear at all, although it is definitely more guided.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I find it mildly amusing/triggering that we're in a Metroid thread calling the games Metroidvanias.

Also, I'm with OP at least in spirit. I'm a bigger fan of ZM than Fusion, myself, but SM is still one of my favorite games of all time. And I've been replaying it regularly since it came out.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think I should try this one instead of Return of Samus on 3DS?

Return of Samus still holds hand but even to a lesser extent than Zero Mission. I feel like you'd enjoy that more than Fusion or Zero Mission, but if you're craving something that feels as open-ended as Super Metroid than AM2R may be more down your alley. Both games take a different approach to reimagining Metroid 2, not to say one is objectively better than the other.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Still hard to believe there is still no switch version of Metroid , these 2d ones would translate so well .

Give us something to fill the gap Nintendo !

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'd consider them a trilogy, but I certainly would consider them to be some of the best damn games I've ever played in general.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't say it's my favorite 2D trilogy but it's definitely up there. Zero mission is without a doubt my favourite metroidvania of all time.
Mark seems to ignore the fact that this game was pretty much designed to be sequence braked.
Yeah. Zero mission is specifically designed with sequence breaking in mind and offers you multiple ways to play the game. You can do all sorts of crazy stuff like getting the varia suit and screw attack early, fighting ridley before kraid, or even skipping bosses such as that Moth boss that gives you super missiles. IIRC, it's even possible to skip some of the required "incompatible" items, although you still automatically get them in chozodia.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
2D Metroids are probably the biggest hole in my gaming resume, particularly given how much I adore the Prime trilogy.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Shouldn't the trilogy be Metroid, Metroid II, and Super Metroid? 🤔

Also, bit off-topic, but Metroid II is a better horror game than Fusion

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Metroid Fusion is better than its reputation which was further stained by the crapola that was released in 2010.
I still maintain that Metroid II is a better game than Fusion (and legit the secret highlight of the 2D Metroid games).
And I mean the GB game.

Still as far as trilogy goes, I feel like there's really only 1 choice for me :

Seiken Densetsu 1/Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest

Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana

Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana

Back to back fantastic games from a somehow weird experience closer to Zelda but deceptively deep narratively.
The sequel is of course the best known part of the trilogy.
And SD3 is top 2 game on the SFC/SNES with Yoshi Island, it might be buggy but the base present is incredible and full of possibilities.
It's also one of the most technically impressive game on the system.

FF4-6 is really strong. Also a fan of the Quintet trilogy of Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.
This is a really strong selection.
Terranigma alone is one of the rare jewels that alone would bring any trilogy to peak, not that the other games are bad or anything just that it's really REALLY good.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
There's a ZM romhack that removes Chozo Statues entirely. You only really have to interact with one in the regular game, but I invite everyone that has gripes with them to give the hack a try.

Also, wall-jumping in Fusion sucks. Best bosses in the entire series, though.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Mael, you smoking legit crack to suggest Metroid II is not only better than Fusion, but the high point of the initial three metroid.

Legit fucking cocaine.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Mael, you smoking legit crack to suggest Metroid II is not only better than Fusion, but the high point of the initial three metroid.

Legit fucking cocaine.
When taking into consideration the limitations of the hardware, and especially if we're focusing on narrative and atmosphere, I agree with them.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Super Metroid is still the best MetroidVania and one of the best games ever.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
When taking into consideration the limitations of the hardware, and especially if we're focusing on narrative and atmosphere, I agree with them.

I may give atmosphere but i sure as hell ain't giving narrative. Metroid II's story is the weakest outside of Metroid. The implications define it more than any of the actual story. And that's saying something given metroid's utter lack of defined narrative.

And that's not even counting that none of that is what mael brought up, he called it the secret best game of the entire 2D expanse.

That is fucking crack smoking.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I may give atmosphere but i sure as hell ain't giving narrative. Metroid II's story is the weakest outside of Metroid. The implications define it more than any of the actual story.

And that's not even counting that none of that is what mael brought up, he called it the secret best game of the entire 2D expanse.

That is fucking crack smoking.
That's why I didn't say story, I said narrative.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Unpopular opinion, I don't think Order of Ecclesia is very good. :x
Yeah, for a long time, I considered it to be among my favorite in the series, but I tried playing it again within the past year or so, and I was really put off by how uninteresting the enemy item drops were. Too much ore and the like. While I do think the quality of the combat is a huge draw to these games, and Order of Ecclesia excels in that area, I think the terrible enemy drops really destroy the experience for me.

That said, I still think that's the best "trilogy" of 2D games.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Yeah, i odn't buy that. Especially when held against Super metroid that does the no telling narrative just as well.

And that still ignores the overarching issue.
I don't think Super does narrative as well, no. The different biomes feel much gamier and arbitrarily thrown together compared to M2's. It's limitations work to its advantage in spades. I do like the Wrecked Ship area in Super a lot though.

Besides that, I'm not sure what's the overarching issue you're alluding to.

CodyV

Jan 5, 2018
In my book, it's SM > ZM > Fusion. I absolutely adore the non linearity of SM. I didn't have to think about story, I just explored and grew in power. ZM was close, but Fusion was off. The story seemed to intrude on my ability to explore. I always felt like I needed to go back and complete a mission, rather than discover the environment. And the computer's ability to lock and unlock doors became frustrating. Finally, that whole "lady" thing seemed way too cheesy and it took me out of it. I feel like it was the first step towards the Other M implosion. They are all incredible games though. Love this series so much.