• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
1191d7af10dd0ecf3b49d8e3aff03501d2e9cd0d_hq.jpg

Ace Attorney says šŸ‘‹šŸ¾

Actual correct answer. It feels like an epic trilogy too, with so many arcs and characters across 3 games all coming together for the grand finale at the end.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I mean it's not really a trilogy, it's a third game, a many years later follow up, and a remake. They don't fit together as a 1/2/3 chronologically in story or release date.

However Metroid 3 remains the most perfectly designed game of all time, and Zero Mission was absolute genius, doubling back on references to references (3 had clever environmental references to 1, so the remake of 1 had clever environmental references to 3, metatextual perfection). Fusion lets the three games down with the linear progression and slog of a text narrative, but is still great.

I have retroactively disliked Fusion because it planted the seeds for the disgrace that was Other M. The whole backstory with the Adam AI always seemed unnecessary and badly written but Other M took it to a whole other level of crappyness.
I have to admit that it the fight against the Omega Metroid was awesome and caught me off guard at the time.
Yeah Fusion is essentially a 2D OM prototype. Space ship setting, 'authorising' abilities, Adam, talky talky talky. The only real difference is voice acting and expectations.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
As I said earlier, they fit chronologically as a story because the events of Metroid 2 are told in the intro of Super Metroid.

Metroid Fusion is better than Metroid Prime 2, 3 and Other M.

SMB, SMB3 and SMW won't work because SMB is an already recognized trilogy. This is not the case for Metroid.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Why leave out Metroid 2? It's a lot better than Fusion, which feels it belongs to another series.

Another vote for Ace Attorney though.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can pick any of the options mentioned in this thread over each other - Metroids, Ace Attorney, DS Igavanias, Shinobis...

So I'll just mention other two:
Streets of Rage 1-3
Megaman Zero 1-3

Bonus: Pick 3 games out of Treasure's Mega Drive output

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
For whatever reason, I wasn't a big fan of Zero Mission. I absolutely love Fusion though, my favorite metroid title of all-time

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The bad mouthing of zero mission in this thread is disconcerting, its a freaking amazing game, a 2d masterpice, and i love it more tha the other 2, and thats already difficult to accomplish because i absolutely love the other 2.

While I played Metroid Zero Mission, I couldn't stop thinking that, if it wasn't a Nintendo game, the praise for it would have been much different. There's been some time since I played it, but it always seemed like a lesser entry in the series. Super Metroid and Fusion, on the other side, are much better games imo
Nah.
My favourite of the 3 is zero mission, ans y played super and fusion first.

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The bad mouthing of zwƱero mission in this thread is disconcerting, its a freaking amazing game, a 2d masterpice, and i love it more tha the other 2, and thats already difficult to accomplish because i absolutely love the other 2.

Nah.
My favourite of the 3 is zero mission, ans y played super and fusion first

You tell em. I was really impressed by all three.
Nice avatar, lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
What...one can't just discount Metroid 2 and make up a trilogy.

He is talking about the "sakamoto 2d" trilogy not a trilogy of 2d metroid games.

He wasnt on any directional part of Metroid 2. If you count the remake Samus Returns though is 4 games, as he was executive producer in that and its obvious it has his fingerprints all over it.

You tell em. I was really impressed by all three.
Nice avatar, lol
Thank you! :)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
If we're talking masterclass 2D trilogies here, I'm surprised the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy hasn't been mentioned:

Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy)
large.jpg

Gargoyle's Quest II (NES)
gargoylesquest2-6.png

Demon's Crest (SNES)
MV5BYzQ2MGM1OTQtOWM1NS00MTRlLTgyMDgtNzlhOWRjZGVlNjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzIyNTI3OTg@._V1_.jpg

Each game is among the most polished games on their respective console (Especially notable in the case of the first Gargoyle's Quest; For as early in the GB's lifespan as it was, it's a more polished and mechanically sound game than some of the platform's later releases), have excellent audio/visual design, iterate on its formula in meaningful ways (Though GQ2 admittedly leans a bit more into being a retread of the first game), and most importantly, didn't overstay it's welcome. Demon's Crest more or less represents the absolute peak of the formula they built up to that point for the series and served as a perfect way to cap things off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
He wasnt on any directional part of Metroid 2. If you count the remake Samus Returns though is 4 games, as he was executive producer in that and its obvious it has his fingerprints all over it.

Yeah but it was made by a Spanish studio. That's why I wasn't too keen on including it
If we're talking masterclass 2D trilogies here, I'm surprised the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy hasn't been mentioned:

large.jpg

gargoylesquest2-6.png

Demon's Crest (SNES)
MV5BYzQ2MGM1OTQtOWM1NS00MTRlLTgyMDgtNzlhOWRjZGVlNjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzIyNTI3OTg@._V1_.jpg

Each game is among the most polished games on their respective console (Especially notable in the case of the first Gargoyle's Quest; Foor as eaely in the GB's lifespan as it was, it's a more polished and mechanically sound game than some of the platform's later releases), have excellent audio/visual design, iterate on its formula in meaningful ways (Though GQ2 admittedly leans a bit more into being a retread of the first game), and most importantly, didn't overstay it's welcome. Demon's Crest more or less represents the absolute peak of the formula they built up to that point for the series and served as a perfect way to cap things off.

Great choice!
I definitely want to try out those games

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I think the best 2D trilogy of games are the three Gargoyle's Quest games, with the Quintet "Heaven and Earth" games being a close second. The latter isn't a sidescroller series though, so I'm not sure if they fit in with what the OP was going for.

The 2D Sakamoto Metroids from the OP are a worthy contender though. Not a huge fan of Super, but Fusion and Zero Mission are certainly some of the finest games I've played.

*edit*

large.jpg

gargoylesquest2-6.png

Demon's Crest (SNES)

Each game is among the most polished games on their respective console (Especially notable in the case of the first Gargoyle's Quest; For as early in the GB's lifespan as it was, it's a more polished and mechanically sound game than some of the platform's later releases), have excellent audio/visual design, iterate on its formula in meaningful ways (Though GQ2 admittedly leans a bit more into being a retread of the first game), and most importantly, didn't overstay it's welcome. Demon's Crest more or less represents the absolute peak of the formula they built up to that point for the series and served as a perfect way to cap things off.
My man!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it was made by a Spanish studio. That's why I wasn't too keen on including it

Yeah, Im from Spain :D . That and commandos are the games i most proud of coming from us.
BTW, Do you know that Sakamoto as soon as he met the team moved apart from the project the director of the 3d Castlevania games (and the director of the studio itself) becuase he knew about his ego and bad working conditions in past games of mercury steam. Its actually funny to think they were really prepared to not have another retro studio before prime 1 situation in their hands and stop it as soon as they got there.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Fusion was flawed. Metroid Prime felt like the true successor to Super Metroid but Fusion was still good. I am a bit dissapointed with the Metroid 2 remake. It wasn't as flawless of a remake as Zero Mission was.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
You could be on to something OP. While I thought ZM was merely good, Fusion is my favourite 2D game of all time and SM is often lauded critically as one of the best games of all time.