• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like me not wanting to see the punisher series because a lot those blue lives matter assholes use the logo and feel emboldened by it

by the way you shouldn't - Punisher went way, way out of its way to really ensure that it doesn't pander to that type. There are scenes literally making fun of MAGA-style gun loving idiots. Most of it is a kind of study on PTSD.

I remember thinking several times how the types of guys with Punisher shit sprayed on their truck or w/e must really hate the show.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So if anyone wants to know about that thing that is fake in the 4Chan post that everyone freaked out over, what really happens (no explicit details to not spoil it exactly):

She isn't killed, at least not in the script. The last time you see her is her reaction to the TV of something reaaaally bad the Joker does towards end.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The thing is general audiences don't find things as problematic as you do.

Of course they wouldn't, this is what makes problematic depictions insidious. It normalises that behaviour. Them liking it isn't a sign that it's not problematic. If we did that nothing nobody ever made or did would be problematic.

Man, this argument that people might form a borderline psychopath interpretation on a work of fiction is enough reason to avoid it, it's the same argument we have been hearing regurgitated from ages ago, then just ban all violent media because I'm sure there might be some psycho out there that glorifies it.

What do you mean "might"? Did you see the reaction to the Joker from the Dark Knight? What about Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street? People idolising scumbags is a long tradition in Hollywood.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So if anyone wants to know about that thing that is fake in the 4Chan post that everyone freaked out over, what really happens (no explicit details to not spoil it exactly):

She isn't killed, at least not in the script. The last time you see her is her reaction to the TV of something reaaaally bad the Joker does towards end.
Do you know if the scene described of the Joker carrying the the flower in the apartment hallway is also in the script you read?

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Do you know if the scene described of the Joker carrying the the flower in the apartment hallway is also in the script you read?

Yes, but it's not poison flowers. He takes her flowers and an envelope with a note telling her to watch a show on TV (because of what he plans to do). It's alluded that she threw away the flowers or something since you see the contents of the envelope on her table, but they make a point to say you don't see the flowers.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want you guys to think carefully about the optics where

the only notable woman in the movie gets killed because they rejected the male lead.
Yeah but the lead has been depicted as evil for decades at this point. People are already getting up in arms because they had the evil protagonist do something evil?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the tone of the scene is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You need to understand that depicted violence against women isnt okay just because a bad guy character does it.
What are you suggesting that we only show men get killed or beaten from here on out? Meanwhile I can pick up any paper and read a horrible story about how a woman was attacked.
Do you think people are going to erupt into cheers when a woman gets killed on screen like Thor entering wakanda?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What are you suggesting that we only show men get killed or beaten from here on out? Meanwhile I can pick up any paper and read a horrible story about how a woman was attacked.
Do you think people are going to erupt into cheers when a woman gets killed on screen like Thor entering wakanda?

Film criticism and the problematic aspects with fiction is a topic much, much deeper than what you're framing it as.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
This thread is a ride, everyone dropping a film over unverified "leaks" without context

Personally, I think a Joker film is completely cynical money grabbing from conception but that's still no reason why it can't be good

And for everyone still holding a grudge over BvS/MoS/Suicide Squad... let it go already. WW, Aquaman and Shazam have been made since then. We're slowly getting rid of the Snyder toxins

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): False equivalencies and disingenuous commentary surrounding gendered violence over multiple posts

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
So no violence against women should ever be depicted in films? Is this what I'm reading?
So violence against men is ok, but against women isn't?Am I reading this correctly?
Jeeeeeeesus Christ.

Read a fuckin article or two I don't have time for your bad faith thought exercises.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
You literally just signed up with an account this month let's see how far it goes with that bullshit your talking
Bullshit talking?He is saying that violent depiction against women ahould be censored in MOVIES.That to me doesn't make any sense.If that is the director's vision why would you want to censor him?

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie need to either be really good or really bad. Ill be disappointed if its middling.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Seeing the defense that "the script was rewritten daily on set." actually makes me more worried. Not less

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the defense that "the script was rewritten daily on set." actually makes me more worried. Not less

Yeah, to me reading that a script for a in-production movie was constantly being rewritten means there's serious problems with the movie itself because what would be the exact reason for why a script for a in-production movie needed to be rewritten daily???

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yea man we're the crazy ones.Not you who wants to censor movies.
Who wants to censor movies? Make whatever movie you want. If I think it's a bad movie, I can say so. I haven't seen a single person in this thread argue that a Joker movie should be illegal. If you've seen such a post, maybe link to it? Otherwise, please stop arguing in bad faith.

I'm glad that the 4chan leak is fake. When I first saw the trailer I was looking forward to the movie, and still am. I do think that making a movie about a villain is difficult. If you make a movie that idolizes or fails to critique the villain's worldview, then it's a shitty movie. Which can be tough to do if the villain is the protagonist.

Arctor

Oct 27, 2017

Does he kill the boy & use him as a ventriloquist dummy?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So like most scripts are being rewritten on sets because stuff might have changed the day before.

I Mean yes minor changes and tweaks are going to happen.

But the way its being phrased on this thread seems to imply the finished product will drastically different from the original script. That isn't a common thing.

And hey I am on board for this movie since the first teaser images. I'm just saying it's worrying if the script is being changed that much.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Here's the thing - the beats of the leaked script appear to be in the trailer. So the story is largely locked in.

Those beats were bad.

If you're talking about the 4Chan thing in this thread it's because whoever wrote that did so after seeing the trailer. The actual script is 100% different than that bogus 4Chan leak everyone in this thread is arguing about.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So violence against men is ok, but against women isn't?Am I reading this correctly?
e74a76707d5bec44c36f4f276e72fb5c--snek-excuse-me.jpg

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Here's the thing - the beats of the leaked script appear to be in the trailer. So the story is largely locked in.

Those beats were bad.

Maybe you didn't like the 'beats', but you're jumping to conclusions by using hasty logic -- why couldn't they change the shots shown in the trailer? That's pretty common.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, to me reading that a script for a in-production movie was constantly being rewritten means there's serious problems with the movie itself because what would be the exact reason for why a script for a in-production movie needed to be rewritten daily???
A combination of the film needing to start production before the script is completely ready + the filmmakers coming up with better ideas, dialogue, etc. as they go than what they had originally locked in. This happens on quite a lot of movies, some of which turn out bad and some of which turn out great.

Jul 13, 2018
The screenwriter behind The Fighter co-wrote Joker with Phillips, so I doubt it'll be awful.

I need more context around this particular scene before fully judging it, since it's something the Joker would absolutely do. A fictional mass murdering clown does horrible things, go fuckin' figure.

Also, there's nothing wrong with thinking the Joker is "cool", since he is after all NOT REAL. Tons of people root for Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. General consensus is that he's a great supervillain, but anyone with two functioning brains cells understands that he's a terrible human being (if you even want to call him that).

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So the scene with the violence isn't actually in the film after all? Fucking WB and DC doing their bullshit censorship again. /s

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The screenwriter behind The Fighter co-wrote Joker with Phillips, so I doubt it'll be awful.

I need more context around this particular scene before fully judging it, since it's something the Joker would absolutely do. A fictional mass murdering clown does horrible things, go fuckin' figure.

Also, there's nothing wrong with thinking the Joker is "cool", since he is after all NOT REAL. Tons of people root for Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. General consensus is that he's a great supervillain, but anyone with two functioning brains cells understands that he's a terrible human being (if you even want to call him that).

The scene everyone is freaking out about DOES NOT EXIST.

So the scene with the violence isn't actually in the film after all? Fucking WB and DC doing their bullshit censorship again. /s

It's definitely a HARD R. Tons of f-bombs, a brief sex scene, and gore.

Jul 13, 2018
The scene everyone is freaking out about DOES NOT EXIST.

I actually just read your previous comment. Thanks again for clearing that up.

If I may ask, have you read the actual script itself? If so, what are your Impressions of it? I really hope WB/DC hit it out of the park with this one. Phillips is my only concern since Hangover 2 & 3 weren't well received, but he's definitely not a bad director. Also, does Zazie Beetz's character witness something on TV that is reminiscent of the talk show scene from The Dark Knight Returns? Thanks again.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
do we see the joker's dick asking for a friend

No

I actually just read your previous comment. Thanks again for clearing that up.

If I may ask, have you read the actual script itself? If so, what are your Impressions of it? I really hope WB/DC hit it out of the park with this one. Phillips is my only concern since Hangover 2 & 3 weren't well received, but he's definitely not a bad director. Also, does Zazie Beetz's character witness something on TV that is reminiscent of the talk show scene from The Dark Knight Returns? Thanks again.

Read the script, yes. Things can change from the script to the final movie, so it's not perfect. But Phoenix should be awesome.

It's not exactly like the TDKR scene, no.

DadsBoyfriend

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You all do know they have been writing as they go, so i'm calling this dude on his bullshit simply because they aren't following a script. you all do know that is basically how Iron Man was filmed. A shit ton of it was improv.