• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know what you mean, but even in that case, how can we even accept that idea? Let's say this plays out as the worst case scenario, how could we get to a point where such a deranged interpretation is something we need to take into account? How can anyone see that play out and think "See, her fault!"?

You act like it hasn't been before. Look at media, and how it treats women as prizes to be won.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
So Phoenix Joker is basically an incel.

Honestly that plot point is only problematic if they're trying to make him a sympathetic villain (and let's be honest, it's a Joker movie, they're going to).

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit too early for takes on this? Why are we believing this with no proof? We also know there have been rewrites to the script as well. I think confirmation bias is maybe at work with some of y'all. Let's not jump out the window yet.
Yes it is. But anything that suggests a DC movie will be bad gets traffic here. It's already taken as fact here.

The script was rewritten almost daily on set. So whatever leaked scripts say, the end result will be different. Just gotta wait and see before putting all your trust in a tweet.

And the spoiler isn't a problem depending on how it's framed. Honestly, it's expected of the Joker. He's done worse. Either way, problematic people will find insipiration in anything.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You act like it hasn't been before. Look at media, and how it treats women as prizes to be won.

I'm not saying we've not seen it. What I'm trying to figure out is how we decided to assume that in this event that's the default interpretation, or that we need to modify how we express to avoid catering to some people, I guess.

The idea that depicting a victim is bad because it empowers victim-blamers is something that we shouldn't be willing to accept, in my opinion. It's plenty possible that the movie's portrayal will be disasterous and then it will be rightfully lambasted for it. But the idea that horrible people and their ideas dictate what we can and cannot portray, and worse yet who gets to be cast in a certain role, even if it's an act of defiance, feels wrong to me.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
This thread is hilarious. One tweet with the most bare bones explanation of one scene and everyone now has all the imformation they need to say this movie is a problem. Theres no context fow how this scene plays out in the movie. But you guys do you.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I instantly got "this is going to make an insufferable 'joke was right' fandom" vibes from the trailer. But that spoiler... I didn't even consider it would be that bad.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
So wait, the only thing revealed among people talking about it being terrible is that he kills a woman he was interested in, turning him down. I don't want to defend a film no-one has seen but whether or not it's that blatant in the film, it clearly isn't the only thing he does, he is clearly insane anyway AND it's click bait! They know more (it seems) but they're going to mention the one that will get the most traction. "Journalism".

BlueKoopa

Apr 28, 2019
Indiana
I mean to be fair it is a Joker movie. Him being an incel shitlord does make sense, but it shows a key reason why you shouldn't do a Joker movie like this. You need the Batman world and tone to make Joker work as a protagonist. You need Joker to be a definitive bad person if you're gonna make him do stuff like this. You can't make Joker someone you're supposed to sympathize with. Otherwise you'll end up with Gamer 2: Incel's Leave the Bedroom and we could all live without that.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not saying we've not seen it. What I'm trying to figure out is how we decided to assume that in this event that's the default interpretation, or that we need to modify how we express to avoid catering to some people, I guess.

The idea that depicting a victim is bad because it empowers victim-blamers is something that we shouldn't be willing to accept, in my opinion. It's plenty possible that the movie's portrayal will be disasterous and then it will be rightfully lambasted for it. But the idea that horrible people and their ideas dictate what we can and cannot portray, and worse yet who gets to be cast in a certain role, even if it's an act of defiance, feels wrong to me.

What other interpretation would there be, with a character like the Joker? This film is entirely about him, and how he becomes to be who he is. Having something like that play a pivotal role in the guy becoming an absolute monster is just a bad look in general. This isn't a film, where Joker is the villain. He's the protagonist. And if you look at the trailer, it's pretty clear that we're supposed to feel sorry for him.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with that plot point in a bubble; I'm not going to judge that itself without the context.

It could be great or it could be legitimately awful. There isn't enough to go on from that one sentence to determine how it is handled beyond tonal speculation of the trailer.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So, all of this discussion over rumors, unverified tweets and a plot point without context? I understand why people have a problem with it but it just seems premature to write off the film.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is the actual final shooting script? Because I remember Zazie Beetz saying they were constantly rewriting on the fly while shooting.

Not reading the spoilers (or maybe just it's the one spoiler?) but, as someone who thought the trailer looked pretty good, wouldn't surprised me if the movie turned out sideways. Hoping for the best but always had reservations about Todd Phillips directing.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was clear from the moment this film was announced that the Joker was going to be a Travis Bickle type of societal outcast. How this tweet is surprising to anyone is beyond me unless you're unfamiliar with the type of 70s cinema this is clearly modeled after.

I think the entire point is to paint a nuanced picture of a disturbed individual whom the audience can empathize with due to how they have been treated by society.

Of course I have no idea if the filmmakers walk that line effectively or not, but that's the obvious goal.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with that plot point in a bubble; I'm not going to judge that itself without the context.

It could be great or it could be legitimately awful. There isn't enough to go on from that one sentence to determine how it is handled beyond tonal speculation of the trailer.

That's how I feel about it. I expect the Joker to do vile, fucked up things and I also expect a Scorsese inspired crime film to be very male-centric.

Hopefully the film is good, the more controversial elements are well done and I hope it doesn't inspire a bunch of shitheads to be fucking monsters.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they're not kidding with the Taxi Driver comparison. People forget that the movie ends with
Travis Bickel hailed as a hero after his killing spree.

Of course, that movie also led to John Hinckley Jr., so....
The reactions around here to Taxi Driver being released today would be so annoying.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the trailer looked awesome. I'm actually pretty excited... I hope these guys are wrong

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't mean it's gonna be a bad movie... Just that it's gonna appeal to the same dudes who dont realize Tyler Durden isn't supposed to be a role model. Whether the movie botches the message or not has no bearing on what these guys will see as cool.

Think we can speculate, bullshit about it here, and do that just the same after release.
I mean we can, but some people are loud and weird and won't do that.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Can someone contextualize what those tweets mean?

What does it mean "unfuckabld chuds who think tyler durden is the hero"?

And like, how is it different than lets say The Killing Joke?
Chud is some brapo brap house thing short for Christian Homeschooled Uneducated Dummy

It's funny how anyone had expectations for a Joker movie in the first place really, and it's even funnier that we're going off some super vague, unverified, out of context tweets from literal who's to tell us an unfinished movie is bad

Oct 27, 2017
Chud is some brapo brap house thing short for Christian Homeschooled Uneducated Dummy

It's funny how anyone had expectations for a Joker movie in the first place really, and it's even funnier that we're going off some super vague, unverified, out of context tweets from literal who's to tell us an unfinished movie is bad
They may have popularized it, but to me it will always stand for Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. :p

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
I don't have much faith in DC, but I don't have much faith in Twitter posts of people claiming the movie is shit based off a script.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think a Joker origin movie was a very good idea from the start. But if you are in for that movie I dunno why you would freak out when Joker does Joker things in it. I mean it's a movie based on a crazy clown who kills people and you don't even have Batman in there to sorta say that shit ain't cool man lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What other interpretation would there be, with a character like the Joker? This film is entirely about him, and how he becomes to be who he is. Having something like that play a pivotal role in the guy becoming an absolute monster is just a bad look in general. This isn't a film, where Joker is the villain. He's the protagonist. And if you look at the trailer, it's pretty clear that we're supposed to feel sorry for him.
The protagonist can also be the villain of a story. Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood, Good Times, American Pyscho, The King of Comedy, Maniac, The Sword of Doom, to name a few examples

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If that spoiler is true then yikes. I don't know how anyone can defend it. I can't imagine any context where that plot point would be ok.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not reading the spoilers but this sucks if true. The trailer made it look like were were going to get something special.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Multiple people I know who worked on it have told me the movie is doggy doodoo so... this is what you get for expecting something good from the guy who made War Dogs

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I never cared for Joker especially with the way they handle Harley.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The protagonist can also be the villain of a story. Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood, Good Times, American Pyscho, The King of Comedy, Maniac, The Sword of Doom, to name a few examples

Yeah, and many of the protagonists of these stores are being idiolized and looked up to by people. Also see Walter White.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the scene talked about in the scrambled tweet really needs more context. If the movie is idealizing the Joker then yeah that's bad. If the movie is showing how awful of a person Joker is, then yeah this fits.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its not cinema's fault that people(read: idiots) take the wrong messages from them

It's still cinema's fault to produce such harmful storylines, when there's a million other ways to show how despicable Joker is. This is the same line of thinking people who defend idiotic rape storylines dish out.