• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the scene talked about in the scrambled tweet really needs more context. If the movie is idealizing the Joker then yeah that's bad. If the movie is showing how awful of a person Joker is, then yeah this fits.
It's pretty shitty that (supposedly) one of the only prominent female characters, who is also black, is killed by the white main character to further his arc. Like, this couldn't have been accomplished in any other way?

Even if we aren't supposed to see Joker as the "good guy", the audience will still be encouraged to sympathize with him. And even outside all of that, it's really bad representation wise.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
But the Jokers is supposed to be the bad guy? so why shouldn't he do despicable things to make him a more hateable villain, I doubt the movie is going to say he was in the right for killing an innocent woman

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty shitty that (supposedly) one of the only prominent female characters, who is also black, is killed by the white main character to further his arc. Like, this couldn't have been accomplished in any other way?

Even if we aren't supposed to see Joker as the "good guy", the audience will still be encouraged to sympathize with him. And even outside all of that, it's really bad representation wise.
That's what I mean though. Like, if the movie is trying to make you sympathize with them then yeah that shit is bad. If the movie is actively trying to tell you that Joker is a monster then it feels a little more acceptable.

I do worry about this being a Fight Club situation where people view the main character in the completely wrong way

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and many of the protagonists of these stores are being idiolized and looked up to by people. Also see Walter White.
People not thinking critically or warping a movie's themes to suit their own perspective isn't the movie's fault. Aside from the sleazy examples like Maniac, all of those movies and shows portray their protagonists and their actions as harmful, wrong, self-destructive, etc.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the Jokers is supposed to be the bad guy? so why shouldn't he do despicable things to make him a more hateable villain, I doubt the movie is going to say he was in the right for killing an innocent woman
I agree, I'm not walking into this movie expecting to like the Joker. No one should.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I think we're really jumping the gun here, guys. The movies not even out yet and people are already acting as if they know the whole thematic identity of it.

I mean, of course the movie could be a dumpster fire and have some pretty shitty ideas but it's weird to me to write off an entire film based on this very limited information.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I mean though. Like, if the movie is trying to make you sympathize with them then yeah that shit is bad. If the movie is actively trying to tell you that Joker is a monster then it feels a little more acceptable.

I do worry about this being a Fight Club situation where people view the main character in the completely wrong way
We're supposed to sympathize with him on some level though. That's pretty clear in the trailer. He's a middle aged man with a shitty life and mental health issues. He's regularly assaulted and lives alone caring for his deteriorating mother who seems like one of his only friends. You're supposed to feel bad for him.

And as I said, even if he's portrayed as a completely unsympathetic monster and has no reason for turning into the Joker other than being a monster, it's still horrible representation wise.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple people I know who worked on it have told me the movie is doggy doodoo so... this is what you get for expecting something good from the guy who made War Dogs

I love these post. Maybe you have friends that worked on the movie actually but atleast try and prove some evidence because this seems more to be a reactionary response on this story.

Regardless, I hope this movie turns out decent I love the look of the joker and the trailer.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think we're really jumping the gun here, guys. The movies not even out yet and people are already acting as if they know the whole thematic identity of it.

I mean, of course the movie could be a dumpster fire and have some pretty shitty ideas but it's weird to me to write off an entire film based on this very limited information.

The people mentioning it as problematic haven't just read that one isolated bit, but the whole script. It's obvious that it's also contextually fucked up.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
Joker being Batman's brother is beyond stupid.
Honestly though, him killing a woman for that reason isn't surprising as the Joker is a vile person who does vile things. If they try to use it to make him a tragic figure or some sort of fallen hero, then yeah, it has issues

I'm here too.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's official then, WB/DC needs to either clone Kevin Feige or give him insane amounts of money.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I mean... the Joker is the ultimate violent-edgy-incel. That's the point, that's why he's the villain, you know, all that's bad with the world, the one Batman, the hero, is poised to stop, you remember that, right?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If the script leaked, is there a link for it anywhere? If people keep asking for context or whatever about the rumored spoiler in the OP, surely we can read the script for ourselves to gain context. I just don't see a link to it anywhere.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's official then, WB/DC needs to either clone Kevin Feige or give him insane amounts of money.

Nyet lol. I know your probably joking but I've seen that sentiment around the internet unironically a lot.
Little variety is the spice of life, I'd hate it if all comic books where "cape books". Hopefully brightburn turns out good, could be the first "supero hero horror/comic book horror" movie after the new mutants died (lol).

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the Joker is the ultimate neckbeard. That's the point, that's why he's the villain, you know, all that's bad with the world, the one Batman, the hero, is poised to stop, you remember that, right?
I don't hold Joker to be some high esteemed villain, but he's never reminded me of the people I went to high school with after getting rejected.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Not gonna immediately write the movie off based on that spoiler. If it's justified contextually then fine, but if not and we're supposed to sympathise with him...oops.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it you couldn't just have a killing joke adaptation about a guy who's got a subpar life then gets completely fucked over one day? That's what I thought was gonna happen from the trailer

Maybe that still happens but I don't know now

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Again, if the spoiler is true then it doesn't seem at all like the filmmakers are saying, "See, it's her fault!" Why are we caring if incels interpret it that way? Why are we pretending that incel culture needs some pop culture movie spark to manifest in potential violence and hatred? Why are we tap dancing around storylines because extremists may behave in extremist ways?

People disagreeing with the action he supposedly takes because it doesn't feel like a Joker thing to do are fair to feel that way. I just wholly disagree with the idea that we should adjust our storylines to not inadvertently galvanize idiots who are already galvanized by their own distorted view of the world.

If those rumors about what he does is true, I see absolutely no way that it's framed in a way where he seems justified for doing it.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nyet lol. I know your probably joking but I've seen that sentiment around the internet unironically a lot.
Little variety is the spice of life, I'd hate it if all comic books where "cape books". Hopefully brightburn turns out good, could be the first "supero hero horror/comic book horror" movie after the new mutants died (lol).
In my headcanon Brightburn is Ultraman's origin movie.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People tend to paint Joker as a "he's wrong but hes right" character and the movie seems to want to frame him as tragic so this would come off pretty fucked if it's pre full blown Joker

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Tough call on this for me.

Is what a certain part of society takes away from the movie the responsibility of the director? Of course, it is a problem if that is what they intended. But even if it is handled well, we are still going to have some audience members come away 'rooting' for the character. See Rorschach from Watchmen.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I don't see anything really alarming in that spoiler. Will some people misinterpret the film? Yes, but that's on them. Taxi Driver's script isn't "oof" because of what people have made of it.

Seems to me that this is just another example of people going overboard nowadays with the term "incel," kind of like how everything some years ago was "emo."

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. this is the joker, not some guy running for president. of course hes going to kill a woman who rejected him. hes not some woke pro choice activist.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
People tend to paint Joker as a "he's wrong but hes right" character and the movie seems to want to frame him as tragic so this would come off pretty fucked if it's pre full blown Joker
Well being a tragic character still doesn't make you right, characters descending into madness can still be painted as an evil person doing the wrong thing, it's part of the tragedy, though I can still understand why some people can be worried about this aspect of the because I've way too many times people relating to the wrong person and taking the wrong message

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Well being a tragic character still doesn't make you right, characters descending into madness can still be painted as an evil person doing the wrong thing, it's part of the tragedy, though I can still understand why some people can be worried about this aspect of the because I've way too many times people relating to the wrong person and taking the wrong message
Who would go to see the story of the Joker looking for live advise? Maybe contrary-advice? I dunno
lmao. this is the joker, not some guy running for president. of course hes going to kill a woman who rejected him. hes not some woke pro choice activist.
The problem with parts of the good natured left (wokism), is that sometimes we like the idea of achieving way in a free, chaotic way (joker) instead of facing that heroic ideals need heroic discipline (batman).

We're not supposed to sympathize with the joker, at all.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Not seeing the problem. You mean the Joker, one of the all-time most famous villains kills another person in this film for petty reasons!?!

I am not sure how this will be framed so that we sympathize with him rather than revile him. Maybe we will sympathize with his loneliness at first and then this is what pushes him over the edge for full on disgust. Similar to Tyler Durden going from a "wow, this guy has some wild ideas, maybe he has a point" to "wow, this guy is a cult leader and obvious a sociopath" or Walter White "just providing for his family in a goofy way by making home grown meth" to "sociopath kingpin who destroys everything in his wake"

Dumb people will interpret things in dumb ways.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No I meant people sometimes think he's right in terms of his views on society, not because he's tragic, but that those views spawned from tragedy

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Not seeing the problem. You mean the Joker, one of the all-time most famous villains kills another person in this film for petty reasons!?!

I am not sure how this will be framed so that we sympathize with him rather than revile him. Maybe we will sympathize with his loneliness at first and then this is what pushes him over the edge for full on disgust. Similar to Tyler Durden going from a "wow, this guy has some wild ideas, maybe he has a point" to "wow, this guy is a cult leader and obvious a sociopath" or Walter White "just providing for his family in a goofy way by making home grown meth" to "sociopath kingpin who destroys everything in his wake"

Dumb people will interpret things in dumb ways.

This. Frankly I'd be more worried if he didn't kill for petty reasons lol - it'd be completely out of character.

The outrage culture on Era is hilarious though lmao