• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the Jokers is supposed to be the bad guy? so why shouldn't he do despicable things to make him a more hateable villain, I doubt the movie is going to say he was in the right for killing an innocent woman
kind of has the implication that if you reject somebody they should turn into a super villain. the premise of the movie is trying to make joker sympathetic.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Who would go to see the story of the Joker looking for live advise? Maybe contrary-advice? I dunno

The problem with parts of the good natured left (wokism), is that sometimes we like the idea of achieving way in a free, chaotic way (joker) instead of facing that heroic ideals need heroic discipline (batman).

We're not supposed to sympathize with the joker, at all.

Coming next summer to a theatre near you:

....... The Woker

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
kind of has the implication that if you reject somebody they should turn into a super villain. the premise of the movie is trying to make joker sympathetic.
We don't really know for sure what the movie is going for, we haven't seen it yet and he could have already been a Villain at that point in the movie

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
We don't really know for sure what the movie is going for, we haven't seen it yet and he could have already been a Villain at that point in the movie
Why are people itt acting like we don't already know the movie's trying to make him sympathetic? There's literally a scene where a bunch of teens beat the shit out of him for doing his job. The audience is supposed to sympathize with him.

Then there's the issue where people itt are acting like the spoiler isn't an issue regardless of context.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
The people mentioning it as problematic haven't just read that one isolated bit, but the whole script. It's obvious that it's also contextually fucked up.
Yeah, I know. But reading the script and watching the finished movie are two completely different things.

What do you mean by contextually fucked up, also in this instance?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. but if people who have read the script are pointing to this moment as bad, then I'm not giving the movie the benefit of the doubt

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer did imply that some sort of platonic/romantic-relationship-gone-wrong would be involved. But sort of hoped that it would have been just a small part of a series of events (like her mom dying, him being systematically abused, etc), rather than --allegedly-- THE event.

And if it there is indeed a "rejection", hope it's framed in a richer context than just "girls, like the rest of the world, are mean".
You can't have Phoenix as lead, and then proceed to feed him a shallow storyline, that has been done countless times. What would be the point?

In any case, let's wait for the final cut.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie clearly wants to make him a relatable and sympathetic protagonist. That's the problem. They even have scenes painting him as a revolutionary icon against the status quo, it's messed up in this context that he'll become an Incel Joker.

Also, there's no Batman here to put him as the obvious villain he is. For all its flaws (such as fridging Batgirl), The Killing Joke's point isn't "A Bad Day Can Ruin Any Good Person" -- that's only what Joker tries to say, but he ultimately FAILS. The point is that isn't true, he's just garbage and that's on him.

Without a Batman or Gordon, either this movie will miss this point completely or not manage to pass it to audiences.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Cool let's give a bunch of incels a new idol and source of inspiration for their fragile impressionable minds. This is IRRESPONSIBLE.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Eww, eww ,ewwwwwwww. Fuck off DC.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Where are all the people who say don't trust Twitter impressions? Especially when it's not from critics?

Oh, that only happens when there's positive impressions about a DC movie. Nevermind.

Foundations aren't the only thing that goes into building houses.
Iron Man 1's script was thrown out before shooting began. They wrote scenes the day of shooting in the actor's trailers. The MCU owes almost everything to the structure and formula Farveau came up with.

A solid script is ONE way of making a successful movie.
Not seeing the problem. You mean the Joker, one of the all-time most famous villains kills another person in this film for petty reasons!?!

I am not sure how this will be framed so that we sympathize with him rather than revile him. Maybe we will sympathize with his loneliness at first and then this is what pushes him over the edge for full on disgust. Similar to Tyler Durden going from a "wow, this guy has some wild ideas, maybe he has a point" to "wow, this guy is a cult leader and obvious a sociopath" or Walter White "just providing for his family in a goofy way by making home grown meth" to "sociopath kingpin who destroys everything in his wake"

Dumb people will interpret things in dumb ways.
Exactly.

• Movie was confirmed to rewrite the script almost daily
  • Nobody has seen the final cut
  • The old script hasn't leaked to the public
  • These are twitter nobodies

They give a small description of a scene that may or may not have made it into the film. A villain, doing some villainous shit.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Where are all the people who say don't trust Twitter impressions? Especially when it's not from critics?

Oh, that only happens when there's positive impressions about a DC movie. Nevermind.

Iron Man 1's script was thrown out before shooting began. They wrote scenes the day of shooting in the actor's trailers. The MCU owes almost everything to the structure and formula Farveau came up with.

Exactly.

• Movie was confirmed to rewrite the script almost daily
  • Nobody has seen the final cut
  • The old script hasn't leaked to the public
  • These are twitter nobodies

They give a small description of a scene that may or may not have made it into the film. A villain, doing some villainous shit.

It's a DC movie, why aren't you on the hate train

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
People still not seeing what's wrong—should The Joker be killing someone for rejecting him? That's the problem, not him killing an innocent person. It's him wasting time trying to romance someone. That doesn't seem like his MO.

It's fucking lame. Could you imagine the one in The Dark Knight getting bent out of shape about something so pedestrian?

That's one reason why people think it's dumb. Plus, it's just a bad look in this day and age.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I know.
You think they're actually going to do that for this movie?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh man is joker gonna be the new patrick bateman?

They should have a line in this movie where joker says "I'm the goddamn Bateman" because I think it would be very funny.

Anyway I'm wondering how long it is until Todd Phillips starts going on rants on vapid news commentary shows about how the youth doesn't get it and is all offended by everything these days and it was, like, all a prank bro a la Ellis's recent drunken-bicycle media tour

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the spoiler.

Joker killed Rachel in TDK. What's the issue? The motivation is pointless.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the spoiler.

Joker killed Rachel in TDK. What's the issue? The motivation is pointless.
He did that to fuck with Batman. Not because he was trying to get his dick wet. There's a huge difference. One makes him look like a heartless villain while the other makes him look like a petulant child.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
People still not seeing what's wrong—should The Joker be killing someone for rejecting him? That's the problem, not him killing an innocent person. It's him wasting time trying to romance someone. That doesn't seem like his MO.

It's fucking lame. Could you imagine the one in The Dark Knight getting bent out of shape about something so pedestrian?

That's one reason why people think it's dumb. Plus, it's just a bad look in this day and age.
Tying the Joker's origin to fridging a woman isn't new though. (Everyone forgets his wife in The Killing Joke.) Nor is tying his descent to some sort of rejection. (Particularly in the Telltale games.) I agree it's pedestrian, but honestly, I don't need a non-pedestrian reason for the Joker to be the way he is.

My concern with this narrative is that it will either portray this action in a sympathetic light or it will unintentionally help validate stuff like incel ideology for that audience. That and just adding another superhero story that follows the trope of the single token female character being killed for the development of the male character.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
More than the spoiler, the big issue is that the tonality that's pushed forward.

The spoiler can be bad depending on the context used.

And if the Context used is Tyler Durden was the hero of Fight Club and Tucker Max is High thought comedy like the initial impression puts forward then... woof

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I know.
That's exactly what already happened for this movie. The actors have said there were major rewrites the day of and they were getting new scripts just before shooting the scene. We have no idea what they actually shot and what they actually kept

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody saying "that's what the joker would do"... Doesn't this sound more like something a dude with a Joker tattoo would do rather than the Joker himself

Like sure I could see him lashing out and killing some people over Harley Quinn or something, but murdering some lady who friendzoned him is... Not very Joker-esque

He's a psychopathic sadist, not some soft boy who gets up in his feels like an incel

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can already tell from the trailer that Joker is to be sympathized with. He's a born loser with mommy issues that the world shits on.

Woe is me.

So his actions, if horrible, will probably be framed as justified.

What's the message here?

That's exactly what already happened for this movie. The actors have said there were major rewrites the day of and they were getting new scripts just before shooting the scene. We have no idea what they actually shot and what they actually kept
You say that like it's a good thing.

Oct 29, 2017
Re the spoiler...

100% comes down to how the movie frames and interprets the character. He's presumably the villain... villains do horrifying things.

Way too early to judge the movie just based on a single plot point when we know nothing else about it.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did that to fuck with Batman. Not because he was trying to get his dick wet. There's a huge difference. One makes him look like a heartless villain while the other makes him look like a petulant child.

At the end of the day he's killing someone. I don't see how the reasoning makes a difference. In both scenarios he's a piece of shit murderer. Who the hell is going to watch the movie and think "welp she deserved it"?

Practically every Joker media gives him likable/sympathetic qualities despite being a cold evil villain. Don't see how this is different.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's a DC movie, why aren't you on the hate train
idk sigh... I don't get off on hate watching, or telling others that their media of choice is shit every chance I get.
Yes, I know.
I don't know. Personally, before I lob insults and hot takes, I watch the media in question first.

This is Joker before he's the Joker. He's killed for more petty reasons than that. I think if the leak is true, it'll be a contribution to his tipping point, not what made him go mad. He already looks unstable in his civilian clothes. I could understand the concern if these guys saw the film already, but they didn't. They're going off of old information. The movie needs to come out first...