signal

Oct 28, 2017

A google doc about the methodology

From the packpng site FAQ:

Q: What is this about?
This is about finding the seed of the mysterious "pack.png" image that Minecraft uses. All of this started with a YouTube video made by SalC1.

Q: What is pack.png?
The image Minecraft used for the default texture pack in the texture pack selection screen, and also for greyed out if a server doesn't have a icon.

Q: How many seeds are there?
2^48*0.82 seeds.
230.8 Trillion

qoxYBX8.png

🆒

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Wasn't this a couple of weeks ago? Thought I saw this title earlier or maybe it was another classic picture

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens with a seed for such an old build in minecraft being applied in a world with new updates? How does that affect it? Does it just all stay old minecraft or what.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this a couple of weeks ago? Thought I saw this title earlier or maybe it was another classic picture

I thought the same but I believe this is for a different picture. IIRC the earlier thread was about the seed for the world from the title screen being found.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Has Minecraft's world generation algorithm never seen a change since this thumbnail photo had been taken?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I made a post on PC gaming thread about it a few months back.

So what happens with a seed for such an old build in minecraft being applied in a world with new updates? How does that affect it? Does it just all stay old minecraft or what.

It would be a completely different map. A map from a seed changes with every change of world generation. Changes to world generation are rare, though.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Has Minecraft's world generation algorithm never seen a change since this thumbnail photo had been taken?
It has, there are new biomes & changes in world generation since then. On newer versions of minecraft it probably doesn't look the same.