• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I realize this is as if professing coca-cola is the best soda. There's nothing new or exciting in this declaration. Critics have professed it already, as have everybody else. Yet I just watched it a second time and it hit so much harder than it did the first time around. Everything, and I mean everything about this film is perfect. From the dialogue, cinematography scenario, and the arc. I adore it. It is poetry and I wished modern films directly drew from it.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
Seventh Seal, Persona, Fanny and Alexander, Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring, The Silence, Through a Glass Darkly. Most directors would kill to have at lease one movie this good.

And I haven't even seen Cries and Whispers, Scenes From a Marriage, Autumn Sonata, Shame, Hour of the Wolf or Winter Light yet. What a director.

OP
OP
BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I found the levity in this film a wonderful and curious aspect that elevated it. It could have been straight up dour, an historical study, but it felt like it was a true stream of consciousness versus holding true to a singular vision of stringent historical accuracy.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good film. Probably solidly in the top 50. But it's not the best film of all time.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not even Bergman's best film, which is really more of a compliment to Bergman than an insult to The Seventh Seal.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I expected something heavy and ponderous but honestly was taken aback by how humorous and entertaining it was.

It has one of my favourite puns in any form of media.
In one scene a jester attempts to escape Death by climbing a tree. Death then calmly proceeds to cut down said tree with a saw, as a means of causing the jester to fall to his death. The jester tries to bargain with Death, claiming that he can't die right now as he's on his way to a performance. Death mentions that it has been cancelled. When the jester asks why the reply is "På grund av dödsfall." ("because of a death"), said in an almost jovial manner.
Dödsfall as I mentioned above means 'a death', but it can also be literally translated into 'a deadly fall'.

Sep 12, 2018
It has one of my favourite puns in any form of media.
In one scene a jester attempts to escape Death by climbing a tree. Death then calmly proceeds to cut down said tree with a saw, as a means of causing the jester to fall to his death. The jester tries to bargain with Death, claiming that he can't die right now as he's on his way to a performance. Death mentions that it has been cancelled. When the jester asks why the reply is "På grund av dödsfall." ("because of a death"), said in an almost jovial manner.
Dödsfall as I mentioned above means 'a death', but it can also be literally translated into 'a deadly fall'.
Haha that's great!

Oct 28, 2017
I could never get into Bergman. Honestly my favorite of his is Smiles Of A Summer Night. Seventh Seal is just OK to me.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, the people saying Persona is better are right, but also kind of wrong because Fanny and Alexander is Bergman's best, no question.

Though they're all about as good as it gets, really

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can think of at least 5 movies by Bergman that are superior. Persona is without equal at the very top of his career (and of the whole artform), but I also like the Strawberries and Fanny and Alexandre better. Scenes from a Marriage is fantastic. It's also amazing that his last movie, Saraband, filmed when he was over 80 years old, is among his very best.
Maybe I just really don't like the 7th Seal.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Well unlike with Citizen Kane, I genuinely enjoyed this one. Haven't seen Persona.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I couldn't get into Fanny or Persona.
I'm also struggling with Tarkovsky's Mirror because Russian sounds ugly to me, his dad's poetry especially.

Seventh seal just clicked with me.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I thought OP was talking about The Seventh Sign at first. That was a cool movie I saw as a kid but I don't think it had the following if Seventh Seal.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'll watch it. But I'm generally of the opinion that most older films are garbage because they hadn't figured out pacing yet.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing can top 2001.

Even if you make a better movie 2001 has been the GOAT for so long that you can't outdo it's reputation.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
It's good but I don't agree. I also liked Persona much better. Reminds me I need to watch more Bergman because he's still a very big blindspot for me.

Maybe I'll watch it. But I'm generally of the opinion that most older films are garbage because they hadn't figured out pacing yet.
wat

Watch some Hitchcock