• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Article by Mashable: https://mashable.com/2018/08/10/octopath-traveler-review-sexist.amp/

Some choice quotes:
There's a clear, gendered difference between how the male and female protagonists storylines play out. We've seen this in the genre before, though JRPGs often get a pass, perhaps because American writers use "cultural differences" as an excuse or simply don't bother taking these stories very seriously.

But I'm tired of excuses for why we should ignore this bullshit.

After surviving her noble father's assassination, Lady Primrose went into hiding as a tavern's prized dancer. She and the other dancers are regularly beaten, starved, and raped by their "master." Yet Primrose is only motivated into leaving these abhorrently abusive conditions when one of the men who killed her father happens to walk in.

Inexplicably, the townsfolk make jokes about the dancers getting raped and lusting for the "private viewings" that their master forces them to do for him at night, if you know what I mean ;)))

One scene encapsulates the weirdly fetishistic vibes embedded into Octopath's depictions of fathers and daughters: A father goes to a pimp with the sob story of how his daughter killed herself after being raped. But he's not grieving for her. He's grieving for himself, for the loss of having a little girl to dress up like his living, incestuous sex doll.

He's elated to be given a sex slave in direct replacement for his "sullied," dead daughter.

Well worth the full read.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
One scene encapsulates the weirdly fetishistic vibes embedded into Octopath's depictions of fathers and daughters: A father goes to a pimp with the sob story of how his daughter killed herself after being raped. But he's not grieving for her. He's grieving for himself, for the loss of having a little girl to dress up like his living, incestuous sex doll.

He's elated to be given a sex slave in direct replacement for his "sullied," dead daughter.
yikes

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you messed up the formatting of the link, copy and pasting works and but not clicking.

Well damn, I'm planning to get a Switch in February and I was looking at Octopath as a jumping in point for JRPGs, a genre I've totally missed outside of Pokemon.

But that sounds really problematic I don't know if I'll buy it now.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This guy is treated as a bad guy though?... He's part of the example of why the boss is such a piece of shit in Chapter 2 for Primrose.

They aren't exactly glorifying him, it's just part of the story and why the villains are villains.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
uhhhhhhhhh

I thought this would be oversensitive but the stuff in the OP has me saying "what?!"

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it the point of Primrose's story, to have men portrayed as horrible rapists/terrible people overall ? Like, that's not being sexist. If anything it's condemning that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I was also surprised by how far the game goes with Primrose, but then at Chapter 3 and beyond it's back to a more standard situation.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Prim's story is pretty dark indeed.

Yes, it is. Prim is a good character though and all of these men are clearly depicted as shitty and/or villains. I don't believe the person writing that article understands how stories work.

Next up, "The Sexist Garbage in Perfect Blue"

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're not glorifying it though, it's pretty clear in the game that what's happening is bad.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Looks like you messed up the formatting of the link, copy and pasting works and but not clicking.

Well damn, I'm planning to get a Switch in February and I was looking at Octopath as a jumping in point for JRPGs, a genre I've totally missed outside of Pokemon.

You literally stab the guy selling the girl in the heart with a dagger in the next scene. Every single scene listed in the OP is unquestionably portrayed as horrific from the scene setup, to the music, to the fact you kill guys responsible in relatively gruesome manners in short order.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is treated as a bad guy though?... He's part of the example of why the boss is such a piece of shit in Chapter 2 for Primrose.

They aren't exactly glorifying him, it's just part of the story and why the villains are villains.

Yep

It was weird and a view into fucked up people, and I'm unsure how primrose's story alone makes the game sexist?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The game treats it well since these characters are depicted as vile/terrible people and Primrose along with Yusfa as strong heroes.

The fact that there is sexists characters doesn't mean that the game is sexist.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Primrose and Ophelia are the only two characters whose predominant special skill is to call in someone more powerful than them for assistance in battle. Tressa also has a summoning ability tied to her job, and H'aanit's hunter skill lets her summon animals.
This is reaching.

The most empowering female character is by far the hunter. Though notably, even H'aanit falls into the trap of having her motivations tied exclusively to finding her missing "master" -- a man clearly less competent than her, yet somehow still her superior.
Z'aanta raised her after her parents died and is clearly shown to be a competent and renowned hunter. H'aanit's storyline ends with her building her own legacy and fame of adventures.

Can we also mention the various NPC side-characters including the Leader of the Knights Ardante, the crown Princess of Atlasdam, the under-cover daughter of the King of Marsalim or the top mage and mentor to Cyrus?

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017

Yes I'm confused. The entire point of this scene is to paint that person as a terrible person. Not to glorify any of that.

This article seems to be twisting things to serve its narrative.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The entire point of the Primrose story is that it's a horrible sexist and abusive environment. It's not celebrated. The treatment and attitude towards women is vilified in the Primrose story.

I haven't encountered anything else yet that I would consider sexist. That story about the doll sounds creepy though.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the point of Primrose's story, to have men portrayed as horrible rapists/terrible people overall ? Like, that's not being sexist. If anything it's condemning that.
Exactly, they portray the men in horrible light, and then all die as a result. The game is clearly telling you what is going on is wrong and not to be glorified.

Justice served biatch.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The examples from Primrose's story tell me the article is either missing the point of her story entirely or the writer was not expecting such a dark story. These people are villains and it's all detestable.

Problematic is a stretch. It's 16-bit fiction.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I wondered when someone would make a thread on this article. It's poor writing and completely missing the point of her story....

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This articles feels like

9c9.gif

Oct 27, 2017
The article sounds like someone who watched clips of scenes on Youtube and doesn't know the context in which they're in the game, or the larger narrative

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive towards concerns of sexism.
I don't think the author of that article knows what sexism is.

CattleCalypto

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
why do many people think that the content of a game is somehow representative of a developer's belief

this distinction is hard to make for many

I mean, does Rockstar promote people like Trevor Phillips,? i mean this article is ridiculous in that it misses the entire point

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Primrose has a dark story that deals with sexual abuse, prostitution, and the demeaning of women. None of this is portrayed in a positive and encouraging light that indicates these things are okay. I don't think it's fair to say the game is being sexist, it's just telling a dark story with uncomfortable subject matter. Tressa, another female protagonist has an extremely light hearted and happy story by comparison.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You could argue that using overt sexual abuse to obviously paint Helgenish and the like as "so evil wow" is lazy or trite, I guess, but I'm not sure I really jive with the rest of the article.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

If you care for the conclusion of this part of the story ....

PRIMROSE CHAPTER 2 SPOILER

The guy running the brothel is the one that Primrose wants to kill and also does so. The girl that was chosen to be the replacement for this sick fucks daughter is a former maid of Primrose's father and a friend of her, and freed along with the other girls after the boss has been killed by Prim.

SPOILER END

For whatever happens in Primrose story, you have Ophilia and Tressa with more lighter stuff.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
That's why not many jrpgs nowadays approaching slavery, sexism or other sensitive topics, because they will always get into troubles like this or having people not understanding the point of the stories they write at all

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The writer of this article very much misunderstands the point of some of the stuff being described.

I mean, that scene with the father is clearly not meant to glorify his actions. He is a bad person. A story that has sexist characters does not make the game itself sexist. It's very strange that the writer can't seem to understand the difference.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People exagerate too much. They are stories of 4 very different women in a past time of battles with swords, and axes and shields.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yikes that is some terrible writing.

Primrose and Ophelia are the only two characters whose predominant special skill is to call in someone more powerful than them for assistance in battle.

Yes, battle fodder that leaves after a few attacks are much, much more powerful than my characters who can summon fucking meteors. lol.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
The bad guys in part of this game were guys who were bad.

But stretched out and depicted as a negative for...reasons.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
You eventually kill those bad guys. It isnt glorifying anything. You just play as a women who is put in such a situation, you know, like any other story works.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually feel like Primrose's story was the most effective one because of this, it made you more invested in the story because you actually despised the bosses at the end of each chapter, and it felt extra satisfying to kill these motherfuckers.

Whereas some of the other characters it's like why am I fighting this forest monster, he didn't do anything wrong. Poor little snake monster :(

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a rough period of time in a rough land. People are murdered, ritualistically slain, burnt at the stake, or killed by disease pretty much across the entire game. The issues raised in those excerpts seem more about world-building to me than glorifying in sexism.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
To its credit, Octopath Traveler does have an even gender split among its eight heroes. But the portrayal of the women is a noticeable regression from JRPGs with solid women protagonists

I cannot agree with this, Primrose is a very strong female protagonist and Tressa went off to the world to make a name for herself.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns about sexism as 'fragility'.
So now depicting sexist assholes makes you a sexist asshole?

So fragile lol

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, they portray the men in horrible light, and then all die as a result. The game is clearly telling you what is going on is wrong and not to be glorified.

Justice served biatch.
this! did the writer stop playing the primrose story halfway because they thought it will have a different ending?

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations writer, you...feel the way you're supposed to feel about it?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
... what?

A game having rapist villains and portraying them as the pieces of shit they are is... condemning sexism...

condemning sexism... is not... being sexist...

come on, It's fucking common sense, like wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.