• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Like just right now: the petition to remove Mueller from his position. Or all the crazy shit that's happened since Trump got elected. List them all. Yeah, they are in power right now... but all of this has to come back to bite them in the ass eventually, right?

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Ahahaha.

Hopefully. I don't have high hopes, though. They've gotten away with this shit for most than I've been alive.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Any time a Republican tries to run for anything decade, Trump stuff will probably be brought up. Will it make a difference? Depends how bad Trump is right before he leaves the house.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It already is. Trump's poll numbers are in the toilet and they struggle to pass even basic legislation.

What's important is that Dems use that to their advantage as much as possible.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
They refused to hold a single hearing on a Supreme Court nominee and nominated a proto-fascist who was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault and were given the Presidency and both chambers of Congress.

I'll believe this kind of shit will bite them in the ass as soon as it does.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this back in the Bush years but by 2010 everyone forgot and blamed Obama for their problems. The lesson is pretty clearly that when you get in office push the agenda as far as possible because voters have no memory.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GOP is the effect, not the cause.

There are a lot of really dumb and really evil people in this country, and that's only going to get worse. GOP gets elected because there are people who vote for them. Fox News can exist because there are people who want to watch it.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. Like just right now: the petition to remove Mueller from his position. Or all the crazy shit that's happened since Trump got elected. List them all. Yeah, they are in power right now... but all of this has to come back to bite them in the ass eventually, right?
I think it will eventually, but it may be very long term. I can see in several decades the US being a lot like the UK now; coasting off past glories from a previous century where they say "We used to be an Empire! We used to be important!" while the rest of the world does not care, and keeps progressing, occasionally stopping by for the sake of tourism and the cultural legacy of "Hey, remember when these guys were a big deal? Let's have one of those hamburger things they invented here, and get our photo taken with cowboys."

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hopefully every one in the trump admin is prosecuted and not left alone, due to "leaving the past behind us, and trying to help heal the country" bullshit.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll fuck things up, a democrat will get elected and fix as much as they can and then a republican will be elected and fuck up everything again. We're stuck in a loop.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. This won them last election and will win a lot more. Politics are fucked and election system is shitty. I'm not seeing any signs that this will change...

Case in point - you already forgot how they won last election.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think so, though it's hard to see in our current era. Think of how the Iraq War was the popular bandwagon for the GOP in the early 2000s, only for it to turn into a mark of shame by the latter 2000s. The view of the Trump era will change down the road.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
W's nonsense caught up to him eventually.

The difference is that we live in a post truth world. If Trump were Bush, he would just tweet that reports of no WMD were #fakeNews and a quarter of the country would believe him and another quarter would play along for tax cuts and that would be that.

How do you convince someone that Trump is a dangerous clown if you cant even establish a ground level reality to begin the conversation?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is already hurting them, just ask them about what happened to their legislative agenda, health care, tax reform, infrastructure, etc. that they expected to have passed already

It will definitely continue to hurt them, but when and to what degree are yet to be seen. They may manage to crawl out relatively unscathed while the country burns

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it'll take a resurgence of middle-class conservatism (read: fiscally conservative, not neo-con). Right now there is so much corporate money being poured into neo-con politics, and the party is only truly conservative when it comes to social policy.

Once the middle class wakes up and realizes the party's platform doesn't benefit them, I think you will see a schism similar to the Tea Party, but more moderate and mainstream. Realistic conservatism, such as a balanced budget and less intrusive government, versus the libertarian idea of kill em all and let god decide.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They are polling in a way that is indicative of a major loss in 2018... that is if there are no shenanigans, which I suspect more and more every day.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Politics in America is cyclical. So yes, it will happen eventually.

Remember 'permanent GOP majority' in 2004?

Oct 28, 2017
Short term memory says otherwise. There are lunatic Trump supporters who are completely fine with the US going to war with North Korea without thinking about anything like long term costs or the BS we've had to deal with since the Iraq War happened.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
They'll say something like "That was Donald Trump who is no longer president. It's time for Democrats to focus on the actual issues" and half the country will cheer in agreement.

So no.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
They have been playing for keeps for half a century at a minimum. It seems to be working out relatively well for them (as far as holding on to power and preventing reforms), so they keep at it, no matter what.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean white people are reproducing less and less, while blacks are growing in numbers, and immigrants keep coming in the country. So even if white people don't learn shit, at some point, their numbers should go under some threshold that will make the GOP implode and go powerless.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Absolutely.

... oh wait, the GOP? Oh, my mistake. No, no they won't.

Remember kids, if you're Republican, you can brag about sexual assault and say dishonorable things about a Gold Star family, and be elected President of the United States. If you're a Democrat, however, saying "YEAH!" in a silly way will torpedo your entire political career.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it will, but only if we all can convince everyone else to care.

Voter turnout in the US is abysmal, and that will only change when we start convincing our peers to help make a difference.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it will, but only if we all can convince everyone else to care.

Voter turnout in the US is abysmal, and that will only change when we start convincing our peers to help make a difference.
Probably one of the most shocking things about the current American cultural climate is that you have a nation that prides itself on the ability for its citizens to actually choose their leader, and half of them can't be bothered to get out of the house to do that. Kind of hard for other nations that don't even have the ability to vote to wonder if Americans are insane.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The GOP is the effect, not the cause.

There are a lot of really dumb and really evil people in this country, and that's only going to get worse. GOP gets elected because there are people who vote for them. Fox News can exist because there are people who want to watch it.

The GOP is absolutely both the cause and effect in your argument. Fox News / talk radio is their propaganda arm that is brainwashing people into believing exactly what they want them to believe. All those Obama voters that switched to Trump definitely switched in large because of how successful their messaging is.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op, how do you see this biting them in the ass? I don't see a scenario where millions of Americans suddenly wake up and realize they have been brainwashed by right wing propaganda.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Look at how many are retiring. It's having an effect and we aren't even one year in to the Trump administration yet.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a historic or socio-cultural reason why US voter turnout is so low? Nearly a year later and I am still angry at friends who sat out.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasnt that long ago that Bush era regulation cutting and economic policies put is the greatest recession since the great depression.

Trump ran on the same song and dance. And it is undoubtable that poeple that suffered from that, probably voted for him.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
No one will care when we're reduced to trying to scrape together a bite of food in a dystopian wasteland.