• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
As Trump's presidency demonstrates, poll numbers are meaningless. Millions of people support Trump and the far right, but won't publicly voice that opinion, including in polls.

Except the polls said him winning was completely possible.

They may support him, but they don't think he's doing a good job. Plus he's pissed off millions of people who his positions hurt.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced this will come back to bite the Republicans, but at the cost of America in general. Once they've squeezed the nation dry and there's nothing left, they'll move on.

Oct 28, 2017
Many other countries were founded on very similiar circumstances. Doesn't make the nation fundamentally evil at its core and worth destroying. Changed, sure. I'm curious what you think the solution is while you benifit from our nations fundamental evil. The government can fall, but the people aren't going anywhere. Hell, it's our constitution that has prevented even greater disaster from occuring. Kill that, and you have a power vacum in the most economically and militarily powerful nation is human history. But go ahead, keep with your edglord hate hardon while playing your videogames.
I'm black in America, man. Tell me what "benefit" I am reaping as a citizen. You're referencing a constitution written by slaveholders, as if that's some saving grace. Seriously? And please name the other countries founded on the same still standing pillars of genocide that this one was.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
In a just world, the GOP would implode and the party of normalized terrorism isn't even close to normalizing its violence in this society.

What's likely to happen is they'll just implode the society and come up with narratives to explain it.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
It's infuriating that the same people who complain about the rich getting richer and the poor and middle class getting shafted and neglected are the Republican voter base, and these fools are disillusioned into thinking that those gosh darn Democrats are to blame for all of society's woes. Not the Republican party, who has shown time and time again to be a party that aligns itself with the rich class's interests, and is very much so anti-poor. Make no mistake, the Democrats have their flaws, but keeping the Democrats in power ensures that everyone is on a path to gradual progress. Eventually, we may reach a point where a further left political party can attain power and influence if the GOP voter base can reject the Republican party for good, and have a change of heart for the Democrats. I believe this ultimately comes down to the GOP voter base needing to be educated as to who has their best interests at heart, and for there to be an understanding to be made. Those who are informed about politics and economics should sit the GOP voter base down, and rationally and calmly explain to them what the reality is, without ridicule or raising their voice.

Oct 28, 2017
Except the polls said him winning was completely possible.

They may support him, but they don't think he's doing a good job. Plus he's pissed off millions of people who his positions hurt.

Are we really going to pretend as if most of us looked at the polls leading up to election night didn't think they would bear out a win for Hillary, only to be devastatingly proven wrong? If most of the public wants him gone, with a party in power that stands to lose their majority yet does nothing in the face of his daily outrages, how can we place faith in any poll? Doesn't there exist a possibility that the Republicans know they will retain their hold over congress as long as they protect Trump and allow him to continue making America great again?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm black in America, man. Tell me what "benefit" I am reaping as a citizen. You're referencing a constitution written by slaveholders, as if that's some saving grace. Seriously? And please name the other countries founded on the same still standing pillars of genocide that this one was.
Well, you're playing videogames, happily participating in American consumerism, freely voicing your opinions, have a great deal of rights you wouldn't have otherwise. If you want our constitution destroyed and think that will somehow be better for you... don't know what to tell you. It's a constitution developed to be modified and has been to mixed success. 2/3 of the founding fathers being slave holders has little to do with the modern text, which protects you in a lot of ways.

The only reason you don't enjoy the full rights granted to you by our constitution is a breaking down of rule of law, where our justice system has decided the constitution doesn't apply to everybody, and certain (white) people are above the law. Funny thing is, what you seem to want is exactly what white supremecists such as Bannon, Trump, Miller, Spencer and others push for. The complete destruction of our government as we know it.

As for history, you don't think nation states came about through everyone getting together, holding hands, and agreeing to a common ruling government do you? Nations are where they are through a long line of bloody wars, genocide, and enslavement of the native populations.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Are we really going to pretend as if most of us looked at the polls leading up to election night didn't think they would bear out a win for Hillary, only to be devastatingly proven wrong? If most of the public wants him gone, with a party in power that stands to lose their majority yet does nothing in the face of his daily outrages, how can we place faith in any poll? Doesn't there exist a possibility that the Republicans know they will retain their hold over congress as long as they protect Trump and allow him to continue making America great again?

That's not the polls' fault. It's just collected data. Most people can't even do basic algebra, much less understand statistics and probability.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, you're playing videogames, happily participating in American consumerism, freely voicing your opinions, have a great deal of rights you wouldn't have otherwise. If you want our constitution destroyed and think that will somehow be better for you... don't know what to tell you. It's a constitution developed to be modified and has been to mixed success. 2/3 of the founding fathers being slave holders has little to do with the modern text, which protects you in a lot of ways.

The only reason you don't enjoy the full rights granted to you by our constitution is a breaking down of rule of law, where our justice system has decided the constitution doesn't apply to everybody, and certain (white) people are above the law. Funny thing is, what you seem to want is exactly what white supremecists such as Bannon, Trump, Miller, Spencer and others push for. The complete destruction of our government as we know it.

As for history, you don't think nation states came about through everyone getting together, holding hands, and agreeing to a common ruling government do you? Nations are where they are through a long line of bloody wars, genocide, and enslavement of the native populations.

Are you really trying to tell me that because I can turn on my PS4 or watch the Warriors play ball on TV, I'm enjoying some "benefit" that should make me thankful for being an American, in spite of the fact I am victimized by racism every single day I walk out of my home? Is that what you're saying? So, because the constitution is being occasionally followed to preserve some semblance of stability in our country, I should be thankful that the document in which the "rights" of our citizenry are enshrined was drafted by men who held my ancestors in centuries long enslavement that has left a toll which their descendants (and, frankly, all non blacks in this country) have not paid? And no, Bannon and his ilk aren't pushing for anarchism, which would be the complete disintegration of the state. They want a removal of all regulations and checks put in place that have prevented the government they believe to be representative of the America they envision. There is a difference.

I don't want this country to burn. What I want is those who are supposedly outraged by what the Republican party embodies to be frank and honest about what we are facing in this country. This idea that we can correct this at the ballot is absurd, in my opinion.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
White supremacy runs deep in the minds of the US electorate and the corporate super elite are only growing more obscenely powerful.

US attitudes towards white supremacy haven't really become more prominent. While the rich are becoming powerful, their political leanings are not homogeneous. A large portion of the 1% are Democrat leaning. So I wouldn't really argue that either of these influence US political direction in one way or the other, especially given how scatter brained public opinion has been over the last few decades.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Like just right now: the petition to remove Mueller from his position. Or all the crazy shit that's happened since Trump got elected. List them all. Yeah, they are in power right now... but all of this has to come back to bite them in the ass eventually, right?
Honestly I don't think so. Right now nothings actually impacted Republican voters, the horrible Obamacare replacement failed, taxes have yet to pass, ect. They haven't been able to get much of anything done and so because of that most Republicans and certainly Trump voters can just continue to blame the left and call them obstructionists and get away with it because people don't understand how bad shit would be if what they were trying to constantly pass got put through. Until shit effects peoples bottom line personally and they can clearly see its the Republican efforts that have done that then they'll continue to be duped like fools.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP is the effect, not the cause.

There are a lot of really dumb and really evil people in this country, and that's only going to get worse. GOP gets elected because there are people who vote for them. Fox News can exist because there are people who want to watch it.

Yep. Though the festering madness and evil that has infected a third of this country is largely as bad as it is because of the right-wing brainwashing machine. As long as it exists intact, we don't live in a true democracy, since so many voters are incapable of rational thought. That's not to say that these were all fantastic people before Fox News started working its black magic---you have to want to believe their bullshit pretty hard to not immediately bounce off of it.

If we can find some way to disrupt the propaganda machine, or if it starts unraveling on its own, we might have a chance. Without it, the fascists would actually be at the mercy of public opinion and the consequences of their actions.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
No, we have a two party system.

Even if they lose massively with all this trump shit, they'll just go back to being obstructionists and playing the same divisive strings back into power.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
It will come back to bite them in the ass, but it's going to take a bit longer than you think. The younger generations of America have now lived through Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump. They have come to now possess considerable political observations, and the overwhelming narrative is that the democrats performed better. This is probably the reason the republican to democrat conversion rate is currently so high. There are consequences, but for this, it won't really be felt for ~16 years.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of the movie The Big Short where the whole housing industry was being propped up by sheer force of will and inertia, until one day the bubble just burst.

The Republican party bubble has been growing much more slowly, for decades, and it feels like it's finally going to burst.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
They'll just blame democrats and then their base will believe it.
Americans have the short-term memory of a Dory fish.
Nope once you are in the cult , you stay in the cult
They'll fuck things up, a democrat will get elected and fix as much as they can and then a republican will be elected and fuck up everything again. We're stuck in a loop.

But maybe things'll be different this time

Humanity was a mistake

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Here's a live look at the US:

Mzh3C2m.gif

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
As a lot of people already emphasized, the Republican Party has manipulated the culture, mentality, prejudice and hatred of baby boomers and Southerns for decades. That isn't going to change overnight, and the continuous cycle of the two-party system isn't going to help Democrats. Who gives a damn if the Trump base begins to eventually turn on him by his continual incompetence? Will they ever vote Democratic, or vote toward a political party that leans left? Fat chance no. This is the same country that voted Reagan barely after Nixon, and his conservative revolution is still being felt close to forty years later. It will only truly end somewhat when the baby boomers die off, but I wonder what will be left of this country to recover in the mean time. The damage might be far too systemic and wide-reaching to fix while the U.S. continues to lose prominence and power in the midst of other world powers taking its place.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
As a lot of people already emphasized, the Republican Party has manipulated the culture, mentality, prejudice and hatred of baby boomers and Southerns for decades. That isn't going to change overnight, and the continuous cycle of the two-party system isn't going to help Democrats. Who gives a damn if the Trump base begins to eventually turn on him by his continual incompetence? Will they ever vote Democratic, or vote toward a political party that leans left? Fat chance no. This is the same country that voted Reagan barely after Nixon, and his conservative revolution is still being felt close to forty years later. It will only truly end somewhat when the baby boomers die off, but I wonder what will be left of this country to recover in the mean time. The damage might be far too systemic and wide-reaching to fix while the U.S. continues to lose prominence and power in the midst of other world powers taking its place.
Well the gamergaters are stepping up to take the conservative baby boomers' place but be way, way, worse, so, you know, don't be sure things'll get more rational anytime soon when the boomers bite it. White men will keep doing an absolute bangup job of reacting poorly to sharing their power with other people, no worries

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
No. History is destined to repeat itself.

The Democratic party that emerges in the wake of Trump will always attempt to strike a deal with the racist, bigoted and evangelical Republican party. Gerrymandering will ensure that the GOP will stay in the majority with 35% to 38% support. Corporations will likely regress on civil rights as they secure their control over every sector of the coming privatization of government under Republican control.

Even if Trump is removed the institutions have been radicalized, police forces are militarized and the country is polorized for the next couple decades. Its going to mimic Germany in the 1930's and you will see a lot of the intellectual and scientific community abandon US research institutions in favor for Europe as their funding disappears or is swallowed up by corporate interests furthering the intellectual divide, leaving the rot to fester.

Every act a minority does will be amplified while crimes against minorities will largly be supressed. White people will wrap themselves in the flag and shield themselves behind patriotism as they openly attack those that dont accept there place.

Along with Climate Change, the US will likely destablize the world, resulting in an armed conflict against us in the next 50 to 75 years. After that, statues will likely be erected honoring those who guided us down this path of destruction: The GOP

Like I said, No. Its more likely that they will be remembered fondly like all of the civil war criminals are by those who today control all 3 branches of the government.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
No. History is destined to repeat itself.

The Democratic party that emerges in the wake of Trump will always attempt to strike a deal with the racist, bigoted and evangelical Republican party. Gerrymandering will ensure that the GOP will stay in the majority with 35% to 38% support. Corporations will likely regress on civil rights as they secure their control over every sector of the coming privatization of government under Republican control.

Even if Trump is removed the institutions have been radicalized, police forces are militarized and the country is polorized for the next couple decades. Its going to mimic Germany in the 1930's and you will see a lot of the intellectual and scientific community abandon US research institutions in favor for Europe as their funding disappears or is swallowed up by corporate interests furthering the intellectual divide, leaving the rot to fester.

Every act a minority does will be amplified while crimes against minorities will largly be supressed. White people will wrap themselves in the flag and shield themselves behind patriotism as they openly attack those that dont accept there place.

Along with Climate Change, the US will likely destablize the world, resulting in an armed conflict against us in the next 50 to 75 years. After that, statues will likely be erected honoring those who guided us down this path of destruction: The GOP

Like I said, No. Its more likely that they will be remembered fondly like all of the civil war criminals are by those who today control all 3 branches of the government.

i agree with this.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
No one knows for sure what will happen in the future, full stop.

but tbh, at this point, I'm just not feeling that optimistic. Give this shit 10 years, and I feel like the human brain will pretty much be hacked from a marketing/propaganda perspective, and Russia, the GOP..whoever, insert blank...can pretty much put whatever they want out there and 25%-60% of the population minimum is going to be helpless to it. We're too fucking stupid, we're stuck in our American dream, we're in a magic technological bubble we don't understand, and we just ain't in control.

Americans as a whole do have the power to say, "OK, we fucked up, we need to catch up, our world is rapidly changing we need to come to terms with our (in many ways horrific) history and a future that is anything but stagnant, and that has challenges that are bigger than we can solve with 'AMERICA #1, FUK OFF, GET FUKT FOREIGNERS AND/OR MINORITIES', and we need to educate ourselves and our children about the new and still-changing nature of propaganda and war in the 21st century."

We might! But, I'm not just very confident we will do it in time in this point. I'll feel lucky to live in a world in 20 years in which some other country/union is able to save us from ourselves.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Something's going to give considering the shrinking share of the white population. That's likely going to be the driving force of change in american politics.

They'll try upping the white vote for them even further, and try to make hispanics honorary white people to broaden that caucus, but if that doesn't work all they can do is suppress democracy any way they can. We see it with gerrymandering and voter suppression, but even straight up election fraud is not out of the realm of possibility through sheer desperation.

If it can only be the end of the republican party as we know it or democracy as we know it, given that choice, which one do you think republicans will choose?

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
The spin from the Republicans would be insane, and many of the public would be more than happy to welcome.

Also doesn't help that supposed lefties would digest their spin and probably be more than happy to extend a hand out because of "bipartisanship".

I just hope progressives and young kids that are just turning 18 go out and vote in large numbers next year. Maybe even pull the mainstream Democrats to the left. I'm very naive and childish, I know.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Things go in cycles. Look at the shit they pulled in the Jim Crow era, the civil rights era, Nixon/Watergate etc. and still bounced back later on.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Pretty much every country has genocide in its past.

Also, the constitution isn't as right wing libertarians say it is. It is a living document that has evolved over the course of centuries. It has gone from a document that only protected plantation owners, rich farmers and merchants to a document that guarantees freedom and equal treatment. The ideal isn't lived up to but millions of people died to establish that as the ideal the country strives towards.

Things go in cycles. Look at the shit they pulled in the Jim Crow era, the civil rights era, Nixon/Watergate etc. and still bounced back later on.

The GOP were the good guys during Jim Crow and Civil Rights.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
They'll try upping the white vote for them even further, and try to make hispanics honorary white people to broaden that caucus, but if that doesn't work all they can do is suppress democracy any way they can. We see it with gerrymandering and voter suppression, but even straight up election fraud is not out of the realm of possibility through sheer desperation.

I'm waiting for the day when the resolution in Congress passes that one white vote actually counts as 4 votes. And votes from minorities are half-votes.

YourMaster

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will never change as long as the US has such an incredibly shitty and undemocratic system. It is supported by both major parties, so both parties are responsible for the current mess, along with all the people who vote for those two parties. People who respect 'the constitution' should be ridiculed, and people should fight to change as much as possible.
But instead, people favor short term (perceived) economic gain over enduring freedom and democracy.

A two-party system will divide the people and empower the two parties. The 'us versus them' becomes a reason to support shitty politicians because they are on 'our' side, and attack good politicians when they are on 'their side'.
When you've got a parliament, where each seat can be filled by getting one seats worth of votes across the country, each member of parliament can be judged on his own merit, and people will have more choice. This will put more power in the hands of the people as politicians are not as glued to their seats. Any 'us versus them' divide will be between 'those in power' and 'everybody else, including the people', which is much healthier in a civil discourse.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It already is. Trump's poll numbers are in the toilet and they struggle to pass even basic legislation.

What's important is that Dems use that to their advantage as much as possible.

It's sad, but even if his approval was at 1% and he ran in 2020 his base would still vote for him rather than a democrat. And they'll never vote democrat at the state level.

We need a better informed populace in order to change politics. We are also in dire need of voting reform. Online voting, polls open all weekend, etc. Once more people can easily vote we'll see a major shift towards more rational politics.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, but most of us were reading the polls wrong.

Nate Silver gave Trump a ~33% chance of winning. Most of us round that down to 0% mentally because humans are shit at probability, but anyone statistically literate knows it's not that unlikely. Complaining about polls because of that is like a statistician telling you that the average roll on a six-sided die is 3.5, and then claiming that rolling a 2 is proves this whole probability business is bullshit.