• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
zhu15KD.jpg

Hi everybody!

Is there a Simpsons gif for everything? How about highlights of your favorite classic episodes? Even wanna talk about new episodes (how 'bout a crazy wedding)?

Let's talk about it here in The Simpsons |OT|, where nothing can possiblye go wrong.

___

related threads:

The Simpsons Season 29 |OT|
The Simpsons Season 30 |OT|
The Simpsons Season 31 |OT|

Is there really a Simpsons reaction pic/gif for everything?

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Glad to see a Simpsons OT re-established to discuss all things great and small about the now 30 1/2 years that this most famous of cartoon families has been on the air.

For the few of you who are still keeping tabs on new content, I will be re-establishing the Season 29 OT in EtcetEra next weekend prior to the airing of Episode 623.

One bit of news that folks may have missed is that a NEW Simpsons-centric Morgan Spurlock mockumentary ("Springfield of Dreams: The Legend of Homer Simpson") aired last Sunday on FOX Sports revolving entirely around "Homer at the Bat" and Homer's induction into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Here's a clip...

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should listen too talking simpsons! It's amazing how many layers of jokes each scene in that show has and it would be impossible for me to know about it prior

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome that this is up. Do we have a thread for the current season, a thread for the GIFs, or is this the catch-all thread for all things Simpsons.

Good thing I scrolled up before I posted and just saw we have a picture/GIF thread.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Awesome that this is up. Do we have a thread for the current season, a thread for the GIFs, or is this the catch-all thread for all things Simpsons.
There will be a separate OT for new episodes as they air. I referenced it earlier.

For the few of you who are still keeping tabs on new content, I will be re-establishing the Season 29 OT in EtcetEra next weekend prior to the airing of Episode 623.
A catch-all thread for everything Simpsons tends to rankle folks who don't want to hear about episodes that have aired post-1998... regardless of their quality.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should listen too talking simpsons! It's amazing how many layers of jokes each scene in that show has and it would be impossible for me to know about it prior

Going through the series with my wife who has never seen it before. She's a lot more um well educated and well read than I am so we often laugh at different parts of the same scene or joke. Makes the show more interesting with a different perspective.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a separate OT for new episodes as they air. I referenced it earlier.

A catch-all thread for everything Simpsons tends to rankle folks who don't want to hear about episodes that have aired post-1998... regardless of their quality.

Oops, my bad. I missed that. Thanks for planning to re-establish it.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
For those of you who don't know, Josh Weinstein (who showran Seasons 7 and 8 alongside Bill Oakley) has been revealing scenes cut from 22 Short Films About Springfield (aka the Steamed Hams episode)on his Twitter accountthe past few weeks.

Here's the script of one that would have focused on Lionel Hutz...

DLodqmiUMAAkGmv.jpg:large

And here's another that would have starred Hans Moleman...

DNUX1nWUIAATQbX.jpg:large

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Incidentally, I appreciate the fact thatAniHawkused the shot from One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish of Homer rejoicing at getting a second lease on life after all hope seemed lost in the OP. It's very apt given the circumstances that led all of us here.

And, now that we are here, we will no doubt go back to business as usual...

t3fovwMiRPzE26yZkTVyNOgj0Dw=.gif

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Latest Simpsons showdown installment courtesy ofJims...

He's the real encyclopedic source for all things Simpsons here, IMO.

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Simpsons showdown installment courtesy ofJims...

He's the real encyclopedic source for all things Simpsons here, IMO.

This looks like an interesting series. Looks like I have a new channel to check out. I might have to actually consider signing in so I can subscribe. And even cooler that its done by an era member.

OP
OP
AniHawk

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i think i stopped watching about 5 years ago. that would have been when i last had network tv. how was the show between seasons 24 and now?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Not much different than it was from Seasons 19-23... a small handful of solid episodes per season buried in a sea of disposable garbage that you have to sift through.

The most noteworthy changes between then and now is that the actors sound another 5 years older... and it's not too difficult to tell in a lot of cases - especially for characters voiced by Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer.

Episodes seem a whole lot more quiet now. Where in the past you would have heard music cues from Alf Clausen's in-house orchestra - even if they were over-used - now you hear nothing except the characters talking outside of the occasional borrowed track they pluck out of Hans Zimmer's library.

They really like to use Kevin Michael Richardson now. And not in the way they've used folks like Chris Edgerly or Karl Wiedergott in the past where they have a generic character that needs a voice for a scene. More like, "let's create a wacky character for Kevin where he can monologue for a minute and pad time".

We've had more Marge-Lisa episodes in the past 5 years than we had in the previous 23 seasons combined. To be fair, this was an area of opportunity as these were virtually non-existent in the Classic era.

They finally added another woman (who wasn't married to one of the male writers) to the writer's room. That was long overdue.

Matt Selman's been consistently getting 3-5 episodes per season to showrun that inevitably wind up far superior to those from Al Jean. Actual effort is being put into episodes to make them memorable again.

For episodes not showrun by Selman, we've seen some of the best couch gag/openings courtesy of guest animators brought in to leave their mark on one of the most heralded shows of all-time. Here are a couple of the more noteworthy ones...

The animation direction has actually gotten better. Rob Oliver is now an all-time Top 3 director for the show and we're now seeing a lot more expression from characters in scenes like in this case example from Season 28's The Town...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

That's about it.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...r-after-fox-pulls-content-network-ten/9042134

goodbye to free to air simpsons ă… ă… 

cheapest way I can get full episodes streaming legally? I do have getflix so that us websites are an option.
Having a VPN to grant access to US sites is ideal but isn't the be-all, end-all solution for The Simpsons I'm afraid given that the only streaming site with Simpsons content is Fox's own SimpsonsWorld.com which they've restricted to paid US cable subscribers.

Thus, your only legal alternative outside of DVDs (Season 18 hits stores next month) is to purchase episodes digitally piecemeal via the digital media distribution platform of your choice. Be it YouTube, Amazon, Google, PSN, iTunes or whichever one of your choice. With access to US sites, you should be able to buy episodes the day after they first air.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This came up on my feed today, hilarious.

Also, just saw that my old simpsons thread in the old forum was restored, and someone bumped it earlier this year asking for my progress through the show. If ThePrequelsSuck shows up on this forum, here's the answer: I got through a good chunk of season 9 before I started watching other shows, so that's about how far I got. The Arman Tanzarian episode left a bad taste in my mouth.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
manzoman96 At least you got through the lion's share of the Classic era. I don't advocate that anyone watch every episode in sequence after that although there remains plenty of standout episodes from Season 9 and beyond provided you get recommendations on what to scope out. The show just loses its track record of consistent quality from that point forward.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where do you guys say the series took the ultimate downhill turn? Currently rewatching (finally have all of S1-13 minus 2 episodes), and there's clearly a drop in quality in season 9, but I'm currently on season 10 and there are still high high, despite the overall quality lowering.

At what point do we enter modern era/not-good Simpsons?

edit: I know the popular opinion is Season 9 being the beginning of the end. I'm just curious how much further you guys put up with.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Season 9 is the end of the Classic era once Scully took over but there are enough holdovers from pre-Scully showrunners and some genuine effort on Scully's part before outright wackiness took over to keep the show watchable. That trend continues - more or less - through Season 10.

The quality of the show falls off a cliff in Season 11. It was enough for me to quit watching outright for a few years.

You should really not be looking at the show as something you watch through until a stopping point but should really be cherry picking recommended episodes from Season 9 onwards and simply foregoing the others. It's not like there's much of a rigid continuity here and there are plenty of great eps that follow the drudgery of Season 11 that you would miss out on otherwise.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm of the opinion that everything up through episode 300 is great and that it's after that point that you start to see the rot really set in. The stuff after Season 9 might be in a lower tier but the 10-13 range is still great television.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kinda liked some Season 11 stuff...

For me I think around Season 19 was when I stopped. Just too exhausting at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere around the 3 millionth rerun of "Helter Shelter" and "How I spent my strummer vacation" is where I gave up with the show and stopped watching for several years until a little after "That 90's Show". That era of the show felt like peak "Jerkass Homer" territory, which the series finally let up on from seasons 20ish onward, making it much more bearable to watch.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, Homer became unbearable to watch during the Scully years. He's been much better since.
The great HD era casualty has been Bart. The writing staff seemingly doesn't know how to write him anymore outside of being a lovestruck loser with no future.
Thankfully there have been a few exceptions like Barthood where he's been written well.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Can someone tell me what episode this is from? The Simpsons see a statue for a military hero that includes a quote that goes something like "We won't back down, Tim." I don't even know if the name is Tim, I just like that the historians would make sure to jot down such a generic name as part of this guy's most famous quote.

I thought it was the Rommelwood episode but I can't find anything online about it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me what episode this is from? The Simpsons see a statue for a military hero that includes a quote that goes something like "We won't back down, Tim." I don't even know if the name is Tim, I just like that the historians would make sure to jot down such a generic name as part of this guy's most famous quote.

I thought it was the Rommelwood episode but I can't find anything online about it.