• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Yo guys, quick question. It's not related to this season but this thread is the most active Simpsons thread.

Was there a classic episode that was animated slightly differently? Like maybe it had a different director of animation or something? I think I can remember one shot of Homer running in the power plant and there is more squash and stretch in his run cycle.
That's kind of a generic question but the show did take a solid season and a half or thereabouts to solidify its familiar esthetic and there was a lot of varied experimentation with styles and looks up until that point. And that's not even accounting for the shorts which aired for 2 1/2 years before the show even started. And they looked like this...

I cited that vid in particular seeing how the Simpson kids are still making wacky faces at each other as recently as this past weekend.

o4Cou3R.png

TTcfpfu.png

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yo guys, quick question. It's not related to this season but this thread is the most active Simpsons thread.

Was there a classic episode that was animated slightly differently? Like maybe it had a different director of animation or something? I think I can remember one shot of Homer running in the power plant and there is more squash and stretch in his run cycle.
The really early episodes with Klasky-Csupo animating have some weird moments. The first episode they did (Some Enchanted Evening) had to be redrawn nearly from the ground up because the animation was so weird. Some of the original animation (or at least the movements) ended up in the final episode.

SEE07.jpg

Which is funny because Klasky-Csupo takes credit even now for making the show any good.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks guys! I was actually thinking of an episode after they nailed down the style of the show, maybe season 4 onwards. But thanks for the help, I'll use those examples instead.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
HEARTBREAK HOTEL - Sunday, October 7th
Episode Production Code = XABF15 (#641) / Writers = Matt Selman & Renee Ridgeley / Showrunner = Matt Selman

MARGE AND HOMER BECOME CONTESTANTS ON A REALITY COMPETITION SHOW

d6UFh7W.png

xQAXcAk.png
iQNbgIr.png

Rhys Darby ("Flight of the Conchords") Makes a Guest-Voice Appearance

Marge and Homer's marriage is tested when they travel to a tropical island to compete for a million dollars on Marge's favorite reality competition show.

Pre-airing Verdict

Matt Selman-showrun episodes tend to land in the auto-recommend column as a default rule... and, while that remains the case this weekend with Heartbreak Hotel, I do have some reservations.

First and foremost, while Selman is batting close to one thousand when showrunning other writers and elevating them to achieve their peak potential, his record with showrunning episodes he writes himself or co-writes with someone else is closer to 50%. There Will Be Buds, The Day The Earth Stood Cool, The Food Wife and Sky Police wound up great. Covercraft, The Great Phatsby and Gorgeous Grampa did not... although they certainly remained watchable. Between this weekend's ep and The Clown Stays in the Picture (which airs later this season), it's a safe bet that one will wind up in the "great" column and one will wind up in the "so-so" column. It's just a matter of guessing which ep will fall where... although my predisposition against Krusty episodes has me leaning towards this one being the better of the two.

Secondly, even those modern episodes I would legitimately call great failed to make the cut to break into the recommended list I've included at the start of this thread... and there are a BUNCH of Selman-written episodes that he didn't showrun in that list (Trilogy of Error, The Haw-Hawed Couple, Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou?, The Dad Who Knew Too Little, Girls Just Want to Have Sums, Behind the Laughter) and a BUNCH of Selman-showrun episodes that he didn't write in that list (Halloween of Horror, Steal This Episode, The Book Job, The Town, A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again, Brick Like Me, The Marge-ian Chronicles). I was using hard math when compiling that list so their omission shouldn't be considered a coincidence when it comes to public reception. Multitasking is hard and it introduces blind spots that you may have otherwise not overlooked coming at something critically as a showrunner without having had an active hand in writing the script.

That said, with this being the first ep Selman has co-written with his wife, I suspect he'll be heavily invested in ensuring it winds up great. It's a fun premise, too... the Simpsons have dabbled with reality TV parodies in the past (Helter Shelter, A Star is Torn, Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife) but have not tackled an Amazing Race-style obstacle course-style competition show yet.

The promotion for this ep has also been quite odd in that they've deliberately gone out of their way to NOT show the actual island or the reality TV competition in all its gusto in either the promo shots or the episode previews. Al Jean has been more forthcoming as to why that's the case when talking about this ep (there's a reason we're predominantly only seeing hotel room scenes) but I still find it refreshing that they've largely been tight-lipped about how this episode unfolds and what they're showing off about it in advance. Contrast this with how last week's ep was largely mapped out in full in the episode synopsis leaving little to the imagination.

All in all, I have high expectations... and when you consider that next week's ep will be an easy pass to steer clear from I can only encourage you to make the effort to tune in after football and before The Walking Dead (Do people still watch The Walking Dead? Yeah, I guess they do).

FXX Marathon Theme - "It may be on a lousy channel, but the Simpsons are on TV" (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm The Front (S4E19 / 9F16 / 1993)
4:30pm The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show (S8E14 / 4F12 / 1997)
5:00pm Girly Edition (S9E21 / 5F15 / 1998)
5:30pm Pygmoelian (S11E16 / BABF12 / 2000)
6:00pm Behind the Laughter (S11E22 / BABF19 / 2000)
6:30pm Helter Shelter (S14E5 / DABF21 / 2002)
7:00pm Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife (S17E15 / HABF08 / 2006)
7:30pm Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson (S23E10 / PABF03 / 2012)

Highly Recommended: The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show, Behind the Laughter
Worth Watching: The Front, Girly Edition
Nothing Special: Everything Else

Last edited:
OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Just a quick reminder that tonight's ep actually stands a pretty solid chance of being decent.
And I'm probably not going to say that again for another month and a half or so.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Hate to say it but tonight's ep was a real letdown... as both a Simpsons junkie and a reality TV junkie. I honestly wish I hadn't pegged the trend with Selman showrunning eps he has a stake in as a writer being problematic but that clearly came to fruition here. Moore's subpar direction didn't help matters and I had a sinking feeling during the 2nd act break when Selman said the Woolf parody idea was his wife's idea on Twitter before I got to watch that forced homage unfold on-screen.

There were a lot of nice ideas here but the execution was just all kinds of a mess. It's really too bad.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It was bizarre hearing Vince Staples during the Hotel montage

it was okay but that 3rd act homage was jarring.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been better if they flopped to the final at first. Like do the lilypad challenge where Homer accidentally catapults them to victory.

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have high hopes for a final episode. I can't imagine how they'll end it, it's going to be a major event

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they already signed on for season 31? Or is it only this season so far? I don't think I'm ready for The Simpsons to end.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they already signed on for season 31? Or is it only this season so far? I don't think I'm ready for The Simpsons to end.
Show hasn't been renewed for a next season, and I think all the actors are only contracted until this season. Shearer at least signed on for 27 and 28, with an option for 29 and 30 a couple of years ago. So his contract doesn't extend to 31. So they'll need to negotiate those.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Show hasn't been renewed for a next season, and I think all the actors are only contracted until this season. Shearer at least signed on for 27 and 28, with an option for 29 and 30 a couple of years ago. So his contract doesn't extend to 31. So they'll need to negotiate those.

Ah nuts, here's hoping they manage to get them all to do more. Didn't they all sign on to do another movie recently? I can see them going all out and using that as an ending.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN - Sunday, October 14th
Episode Production Code = XABF17 (#642) / Writers = Dan Castellaneta, Deb Lacusta & Vince Waldron / Showrunner = Al Jean

GOD AND ST. PETER DISCUSS WHO WILL MAKE IT INTO HEAVEN AND WHO WON'T

rBraxTS.png

53cSeAv.png
LrvDdMy.png

Tracy Morgan Makes a Guest-Voice Appearance

God and St. Peter contemplate what merits a soul getting into heaven, while citizens of Springfield remember their divine encounters.

Pre-airing Verdict

There's been minimal advance promotion for this ep. Not even a preview clip of any sort released online. There's a Bob's Burgers-themed couch gag on tap that is likely to glean the majority of the post-episode chatter once it airs. The fact that Rob Oliver is expected to be directing the episode bodes well for that gag being memorable. Oliver hasn't been confirmed as the director but he IS next up in the production order rotation that has thus far held pace with the WABF episodes without wavering, so it's a safe bet.

Unfortunately, he's been given a literal dumpster fire of a premise and writing team with which to work magic this weekend.

The Castellaneta-Lacusta tandem have a consistent track record for delivering mediocrity with an often over-indulgent focus on one or more of Dan's characters. Their only decent episodes are Days of Wine and D'ohses from Season 11 and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore from Season 17. Their third wheel this week (Vince Waldron) is known for little else besides writing for game shows. And the premise implies another set of biblical anthology stories which the show has largely avoided of late but will effectively be doubling down on with Treehouse of Horror on tap for next weekend.

I actually do think Oliver can salvage this with the animation direction if he's been given the green light to go nuts but capable direction can't save an otherwise bed episode. You can look no further than The Nightmare After Krustmas for that. And that's assuming Oliver is even dirrecting which is by no means a given.

My recommendation is that you pass on watching this one but do scope out the Bob's Burgers couch gag on YouTube. I'll be sharing it in both this thread and the Bob's Burgers OT once it's available.

This week's FXX marathon is quite strong with 4 Classic era episodes (one on the borderline) and two of the episodes that cracked the post-Classic era Top 50. Shame about that third hour.

FXX Marathon Theme - Simpsons Bible Stories (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

3:00pm Homer the Heretic (S4E3 / 9F01 / 1992)
3:30pm Bart Sells His Soul (S7E4 / 3F02 / 1995)
4:00pm Lisa the Skeptic (S9E8 / 5F05 / 1997)
4:30pm The Joy of Sect (S9E13 / 5F23 / 1998)
5:00pm Faith Off (S11E11 / BABF06 / 2000)
5:30pm I'm Goin' to Praiseland (S12E19 / CABF15 / 2001)
6:00pm Thank God, It's Doomsday (S16E19 / GABF14 / 2005)
6:30pm Gone Maggie Gone (S20E13 / LABF04 / 2009)

Genuine Classic: Bart Sells His Soul
Highly Recommended: Homer the Heretic, The Joy of Sect
Worth Watching: Lisa the Skeptic, Thank God It's Doomsday, Gone Maggie Gone
Nothing Special: Faith Off, I'm Goin' to Praiseland

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have a question about something fairly trivial and ultimately meaningless

so for the seasons they've released digitally, they always have a character act as the "cover", right? why is a retired character, troy mcclure being used for season 30?

The_Simpsons_%28season_30%29.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Because they have used up almost every funny character for the 29 previous ones. It is also the 20th year anniversary of his death.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
TREEHOUSE OF HORROR XXIX - Sunday, October 21st
Episode Production Code = XABF16 (#643) / Writer = Joel H. Cohen / Director = Matthew Faughnan / Showrunner = Al Jean

IT'S A TRILOGY OF TERROR

4u48z3e.jpg

fPRq2M5.png
zrIMESl.png

PwwB1mU.png
e29oPEB.png

Homer wins an oyster-eating contest against the mythical Cthulhu, Springfield is overrun by plant body-snatchers, Lisa finally snaps and Mr. Burns opens a retirement home with some Jurassic upgrades.

Pre-airing Verdict

Next year will feature Treehouse of Horror XXX - which will also be Episode 666 - written by the modern show's top writer in J. Stewart Burns. That installment will likely wind up more promising than what's in store for us this Sunday - the first TV-PG rated THOH in five years (the last 4 have been rated TV-14) - but there are still reasons to be optimistic.

While this is the 3rd Treehouse in 4 years written by Joel H. Cohen... and the last two (XXVI and XXVII) have been critical duds... this one at least seems to remember that THOH is about actual horror and not nonsensical movie parodies with a penchant for over-the-top violence. So we won't be seeing spoofs of Mad Max, The Hunger Games, Kingsmen, Planet of the Apes or Chronicle here. This is promising in light of the fact that the best segment from those past two Cohen-penned THOH specials (BFF R.I.P.) actually had an element of horror to it... even if it failed to nail the landing.

I'll break out my expectations for each of the individual segments below. The opening bit featuring Homer in a competitive eating send-up against Cthulhu isn't likely to last more than a couple minutes.

Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - A Body Snatchers homage could work if it's largely played straight and interspliced with comedic one-liners to cut the tension. All of the best THOH segments work this way. The clips have been good and the animation direction from Matthew Faughnan appears excellent.

I do have some apprehension that this segment could go off the rails partway through in light of the tie-in promotion from Tapped Out. So long as this largely sticks with the citizenry of Springfield getting replaced by clones and not the wacky antics of unfunny one-shot sentient plant creatures we should be fine. (Nobody wanted to see hijinx featuring the Zune aliens from the black hole short, either. They showed up, delivered a memorable punchline and that was it.)

Multiplisaty - This homage to the classic 1957 thriller, The Three Faces of Eve (for which Joanne Woodward won the Oscar for Best Actress), easily has the most potential to impress and continue the 2-year streak of the middle THOH segment being the strongest.

Lisa does indeed "snap" but she'll be snapping into a fractured litany of divergent personalities (almost all of whom want to kill Bart) that is probably best personified in the show's past by this one gag from Season 15's The Diatribe of a Mad Housewife.

5l03pgZYAkXs-zRPwIolD3R80Eo=.gif
Qj4oGKoz-jzpgyWJWYI3Eh07h9o=.gif

eN5HOuQcuc0nlW7Vonm0pVz-DuU=.gif
ptTdAFHY6SXd95yQsrZSR7x9dQk=.gif

(Yes, this predates Inside Out.)

Lisa has snapped a bunch of times in the comics but this is largely uncharted territory in the show itself. The success of this segment will hinge strongly on Faughnan incorporating subtle visual cues to signify "which personality" is presently at the wheel along with Yeardley Smith nuancing her delivery for Lisa as she segues back and forth between them.

I had the opportunity to ask Yeardley about the challenge this presented during her Reddit AMA two weeks ago...

rZy0P33.png

drsui8U.png

Geriatric Park - It's fair to call this segment "loosely" derived from horror - the Jurassic Park / World franchise is largely removed from the horror genre at this point. I also have the lowest expectations for this segment of the three given the preposterous premise of treating silly-looking dinosaurs that resemble the Springfield Retirement Castle crew as any sort of threat. The promo clip pretty much entails this will be little more than recycling tropes from those films while Homer cracks one-liners. At best I'm hoping for some inventive social commentary and for this not to be outright awful.

So, in short, two of the segments have promise... but I don't believe this will rise to the standard of last year's entry.

FYI, for those of you who haven't watched it, one of the finest episodes in the entirety of HD-era Simpsons' 10-year stint airs tomorrow as part of the weekly FXX episode marathon in Halloween of Horror at 6:30pm. I highly encourage you to seek it out.

FXX Marathon Theme - Conquering Fear (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

3:00pm Lisa's First Word (S4E10 / 9F08 / 1992)
3:30pm The Fat and the Furriest (S15E5 / EABF19 / 2003)
4:00pm The Girl Who Slept Too Little (S17E2 / GABF16 / 2005)
4:30pm Dial "N" for Nerder (S19E14 / KABF07 / 2008)
5:00pm Wedding for Disaster (S20E15 / LABF05 / 2009)
5:30pm The Nightmare After Krustmas (S28E10 / WABF02 / 2016)
6:00pm Kamp Krustier (S28E16 / WABF09 / 2017)
6:30pm Halloween of Horror (S27E4 / TABF22 / 2015)

Genuine Classic: Lisa's First Word
Highly Recommended: Halloween of Horror
Worth Watching: The Girl Who Slept Too Little, Dial "N" for Nerder

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was able to watch this season's THOH live, to do research.

Body Snatchers parody was decent but definitely felt rushed. They kinda called it out at the end, with their observation how weird a "happy" ending was. But they kinda got there and then couldn't think of anything new to do with it. Reminded me a lot of that black hole THOH segment where they all get whisked away. The jokes where their bodies were taken over were pretty solid, it all felt kinda rushed.

The Lisa segment was a little weird, but I think it was my favorite of the three. Yeah, as the UberTag's pre-analysis showed, this is the first THOH segment where they let Lisa go nuts, go homicidal on everyone. They've given all of the other Simpsons families their violent sequences already. It took some getting used to with hearing Yeardley Smith do so many different kinds of characters. They maybe could have sold the creepiness a little more, but I think they got there with the manic/comedic balance.

The Jurassic Park one was fine, the sort of typical monster romp the show often does. I really did enjoy all of the elderly characters' designs, there were a lot of creative ones in here. I thought it was nice they played into the character relationships a bit with the conclusion too, kept it feeling very Simpson-y.

Overall, probably somewhere around the 2/5 to 3/5 range.

Was there no Kang and Kodos this year? Believe me, I was looking closely for them, but I don't feel like I saw them.
Nevermind, they were in the far background of the shot of everyone on the body snatcher's planet. Kang and Kodos' appearance was like a Where's Waldo picture.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Need to check out tonight's episode. Overall the season hasn't been bad.

I do secretly hate when they have time piece episodes with the main characters.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
4 episodes in to this season and not one episode I would call truly recommendable that has come close to even sniffing the Top 50 post-Classic era list. Nothing truly awful either, mind you. Although last night's disappointing THOH installment likely comes the closest, it's most likely to simply be forgotten as largely mediocre. I did enjoy the brief opening segment eating contest bit with Cthulhu, at least.

That said, I did largely expect the opening batch of XABF episodes to disappoint. I did not expect the Dan & Deb anthology episode to be received the most favorably of the bunch but hey, we have to give credit where credit is due.

We still have a handful of XABFs to get through until the Season 30 production run kicks off in full swing this December. One of these is likely to be a Selman episode (From Russia Without Love) but none of these episode premises seem all that promising on paper. We have Homer "working" at a new electric car company, Bart and his friends pranking Moe with a Russian mail order bride and Marge selling tupperware and being mistaken for a drag queen. What fun!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The Lisa segment was the best one but it was okay. I just wish they said fuck it and just spoof a Black Mirror episode.

Gravestone gags were on the nose though.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
BABY YOU CAN'T DRIVE MY CAR - Sunday, November 4th
Episode Production Code = XABF18 (#644) / Writer = Rob LaZebnik / Director = Timothy Bailey / Showrunner = Al Jean

HOMER GETS A JOB AT A NEW HIGH-TECH STARTUP COMPANY IN SPRINGFIELD

7cScfCe.png

UToYIvU.png
0ieBUZz.png

Tracy Morgan Makes Another Guest Voice Appearance

A self-driving car company comes to Springfield, poaching all of the power plant employees with their fun work environment.

Pre-Airing Verdict

Okay, here's my stab at how this whole episode goes down. Homer crashes his car while choking on a nugget after his latest trek to Krusty Burger. Tracy Morgan's character shows up to tow him to a mechanic while Homer bemoans the fact that he can't just goof off all the time while having to endure the long drive to and from work each day. Tracy retorts and says he's thankful guys like Homer are still on the road and causing accidents because this new self-driving car upstart called CarGo is moving to Springfield and will put him and the rest of his tow jockeys out of work.

Homer thinks the idea of putting Tracy out of work sounds like a wonderful idea and decides to work for CarGo and puts in referrals for all of his buddies at the SNPP after seeing how great it is. Homer lives it up and does a bunch of stupid hijinx in the self-driving cars leading to one sustaining its first accident ever. Homer gets fired from his dream job and gets depressed. Burns and Smithers come calling with a proposal... Homer can get his old job back at the plant if he sabotages CarGo and wrecks the place for everyone else. So we get some zany heist escapades where everyone goes undercover and Homer puts yet another car company out of business (he bankrupted Powell Motors back in Season 2). And we reset back to the status quo with everyone going back to working for Burns.

Sound about right? Great! Now you don't need to watch this episode. Need more evidence for this episode likely being trash? Scope out the technology-minded episodes from the HD era in the FXX marathon that immediately precedes this episode. There's not a gem in the bunch. Poking fun at a technological innovation isn't enough to sustain an episode but for some reason this crop of writers thinks that's all they need to do.

Next week is expected to be a Selman-effort so it should stand a chance of being decent. Whereas this one literally screams formulaic "by the numbers" with Homer behaving like a self-absorbed ass.

FXX Marathon Theme - Tech Trends (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm Das Bus (S9E14 / 5F11 / 1998)
4:30pm The Computer Wore Menace Shoes (S12E6 / CABF02 / 2000)
5:00pm I Am Furious (Yellow) (S13E18 / DABF13 / 2002)
5:30pm The D'oh-cial Network (S23E11 / PABF04 / 2012)
6:00pm Specs and the City (S25E11 / SABF06 / 2014)
6:30pm The Musk Who Fell to Earth (S26E12 / TABF04 / 2015)
7:00pm My Fare Lady (S26E14 / TABF07 / 2015)
7:30pm The Girl Code (S27E10 / VABF03 / 2016)

Worth Watching: Das Bus, I Am Furious (Yellow), The Excellent Pixelized Variant of the Opening Sequence That Precedes My Fare Lady

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there were missing pages in this episode.
Also, all of Shearer's characters sounded way off this episode, especially Lovejoy at the end.

This one scene from Season 5 was way better than that.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
One of the first new episodes I've watched in some time...I chuckled maybe a couple times in 15 minutes before just calling it quits. Uninspired, not clever, just meh.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
With Tracey Morgan doing a couple episodes, I always wonder if they'll ever get a Phil Hartman-esque guest.
The closest thing to that of late has been Kevin Michael Richardson.

I wasn't especially fond of this episode. It's not uncommon for episodes to make everyone in Springfield (not just Homer) out to be functionally stupid... but it seemed especially egregious this evening. And not in a subversive amusing way, either.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
First episode in this season that is just bad. Only the Maggie and Homer with the fake driving wheel was funny.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Just a quick shout out that last Sunday's episode of The Simpsons drew 5.08 million viewers thanks in large part to that Saints vs. Rams lead-in and finished 8th for the entire week in terms of basic cable broadcast ratings for the prime age 18-49 demographic (drawing 2.51 million viewers from that key demo).

pLZRMWn.png

Not too shabby for a show in its 30th season.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
FROM RUSSIA WITHOUT LOVE - Sunday, November 11th
Episode Production Code = XABF20 (#645) / Writer = Michael Ferris / Director = Matthew Nastuk / Showrunner = Al Jean

MOE FALLS FOR A MAIL-ORDER BRIDE

S4tjYfd.png

On a mission to play hardcore pranks, Bart, Nelson and Milhouse get Moe a mail-order bride on the Dark Web.

Pre-Airing Verdict

Don't have much time available to preview this week's ep. Still no confirmation that it's a Selman-showrun episode but Michael Ferris' did deliver with a surprisingly solid debut effort under Jean with Season 27's Paths of Glory. Hopefully this one follows suit. It'll be an uphill battle as Moe being lonely and pathetic and Bart feeling guilty over a prank he's pulled is well-worn territory. This isn't even the first time he's meddled in the love life of one of Springfield's adults. Clearly he didn't learn his lesson after hooking Edna Krabappel up with Gordie Howe.

I can virtually guarantee it won't be delivering the same ratings performance as last week's episode as that Chargers-Raiders lead-in is nowhere near as promising.

FXX Marathon Theme - Romancing the Moe (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase (S8E24 / 4F20 / 1997)
4:30pm Dumbbell Indemnity (S9E16 / 5F12 / 1998)
5:00pm Mommie Beerest (S16E7 / GABF01 / 2005)
5:30pm The Seemingly Never-Ending Story (S17E13 / HABF06 / 2006)
6:00pm Eeny Teeny Maya Moe (S20E16 / LABF06 / 2009)
6:30pm Moe Letter Blues (S21E21 / MABF13 / 2010)
7:00pm The Princess Guide (S26E15 / TABF08 / 2015)
7:30pm Moho House (S28E21 / WABF14 / 2017)

Worth Watching: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, Eeny Teeny Maya Moe, Steamed Hams

Last edited:
OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
WERKING MOM - Sunday, November 18th
Episode Production Code = XABF21 (#646) / Writers = Carolyn Omine & Robin Sayers / Director = Michael Polcino / Showrunner = Al Jean

MARGE MOONLIGHTS AS A DRAG QUEEN

xVrmgIs.png

iI6eV7S.png
jNciRLx.png

RuPaul and Scott Thompson Make Guest-Voice Appearances

Marge wants a job, and stumbles into becoming a plastic food storage container-selling drag queen. Meanwhile, Lisa tries to make the world better in the style of "Amelie".

Pre-Airing Verdict

A word of warning... the next two episodes are likely to be strong candidates for worst of the season. The skies will part in December with some promising content but we have to endure a pure guest star shill fest and a Ryan Koh-penned Krusty-centric episode to get there.

Which is a real shame because these episodes are likely to have eyeballs thanks to November sweeps and strong NFL lead-ins (Eagles vs. Saints today is likely to pop a big rating) and tonight's episode in particular has Carolyn Omine writing for it who has one of the premiere HD-era episodes under her belt in Halloween of Horror.

Unfortunately, we're at the mercy of Al Jean and the rest of the producer team who have a tendency to fall prey to marketing gimmicks over storytelling and so we're subjected to an episode of Marge and Homer playing drag queens and... who asked for this? Aren't we a little past Homer dressing up like a woman and Barney making a pass at him? Do you still laugh at Bugs Bunny cartoons where he dresses up like a girl to fool Elmer Fudd? Because I think these producers find that hilarious.

Truth be told, I suspect tonight's ep will make Season 22's Flaming Moe (which is part of today's FXX marathon) seem downright sophisticated by comparison. I'd like to be more optimistic about The Simpsons branching into LGBT themes with its writing but these are still the same writers who constantly make jokes at every gay character in the show secretly wanting a sex change. If they can't be mature about it they ought to leave this material for Steven Universe. Today's marathon is a pretty telling indictment in terms of how progressive the show was back in the 1990s in contrast to now.

FXX Marathon Theme - Getting Homersexual (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm Simpson and Delilah (S2E2 / 7F02 / 1990)
4:30pm Homer's Phobia (S8E15 / 4F11 / 1997)
5:00pm Three Gays of the Condo (S14E17 / EABF12 / 2003)
5:30pm Catch 'Em If You Can (S15E18 / FABF14 / 2004)
6:00pm There's Something About Marrying (S16E10 / GABF04 / 2005)
6:30pm Flaming Moe (S22E11 / NABF04 / 2011)
7:00pm What to Expect When Bart's Expecting (S25E19 / SABF14 / 2014)
7:30pm The Burns Cage (S27E17 / VABF10 / 2016)

Highly Recommended: Homer's Phobia
Worth Watching: Simpson and Delilah, Three Gays of the Condo

EDIT: Man, that ep wound up really sweet. Much better than it had any right to be.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So much wrong with this episode. After half an episode, only Mel being in the club was good.
That voice-over was hateworthy.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lisa does indeed "snap" but she'll be snapping into a fractured litany of divergent personalities (almost all of whom want to kill Bart) that is probably best personified in the show's past by this one gag from Season 15's The Diatribe of a Mad Housewife.

5l03pgZYAkXs-zRPwIolD3R80Eo=.gif
Qj4oGKoz-jzpgyWJWYI3Eh07h9o=.gif

eN5HOuQcuc0nlW7Vonm0pVz-DuU=.gif
ptTdAFHY6SXd95yQsrZSR7x9dQk=.gif

(Yes, this predates Inside Out.)

There's a FOX sitcom that also predates Inside Out (by 20 years) that, coincidentally, co-starred Yeardly Smith...

b1EUfmK.jpg

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My girlfriend loves RuPaul so we're watching this episode. Jesus Christ, end this show so Julie Kavner can retire.

OP
OP
UberTag

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
KRUSTY THE CLOWN - Sunday, November 25th
Episode Production Code = XABF22 (#647) / Writer = Ryan Koh / Director = Matthew Faughnan / Showrunner = Al Jean

IN AN ACT OF REVENGE, KRUSTY ALMOST COMMITS HOMER-CIDE

OW3RbcW.png

wWWqjVM.png
M2RAZcp.png

Billy Eichner and Peter Serafinowicz Make Guest-Voice Appearances

Homer finds his calling as a TV recapper, but his harsh grading causes a brawl with Krusty. After almost killing Homer, Krusty hides out at a real circus, and finds happiness there.

Pre-Airing Verdict

It's been somewhat of an odd season in that a number of episodes have overachieved with terrible premises and others have underwhelmed with decent ones. That said, I am wholly confident that there is little that can save tonight's ep from being a dumpster fire. Ryan Koh made a statement with his first two scripts (Dad Behavior, Singin' in the Lane) by delivering the worst episodes of their respective seasons and making his fellow panned writers like Tim Long and Jeff Westbrook look like creative geniuses by contrast.

Furthermore, Krusty-centric episodes in the HD era have an atrocious track record outside of Once Upon a Time in Springfield (from almost 9 years ago). Factor in a convoluted litany of storylines where Homer becomes a TV critic, a token miscast celebrity guest star of the week lands a trite Lisa subplot and Krusty "almost kills Homer" before running off to join the circus and... well... I can't honestly advocate tonight's ep to anyone outside of hate-watching purposes.

The ship will look to be righted next week with the true start of the Season 30 production run with two highly promising eps on tap to close out the year.

FXX Marathon Theme - Krusty Stops Clowning Around (weekly themed 4-hour mini-marathons run each and every Sunday afternoon on FXX before new episodes premiere)

4:00pm Krusty Gets Busted (S1E12 / 7G12 / 1990)
4:30pm Krusty Gets Kancelled (S4E22 / 9F19 / 1993)
5:00pm Bart the Fink (S7E15 / 3F12 / 1996)
5:30pm The Last Temptation of Krust (S9E15 / 5F10 / 1998)
6:00pm Day of the Jackanapes (S12E13 / CABF10 / 2001)
6:30pm All About Lisa (S19E20 / KABF13 / 2008)
7:00pm The Ten-Per-Cent Solution (S23E8 / PABF02 / 2011)
7:30pm Fears of a Clown (S29E14 / XABF08 / 2018)

Worth Watching: Krusty Gets Busted, Bart the Fink

Last edited: