• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
BEHOLD

screenshot2018-03-27as8r4h.png

It's so beautiful

Just wanted to mark this moment when everything in the Switch icon movement came full-circle.

Sumo Digital has updated Snake Pass to feature a new icon... and apparently a new Arcade Mode, or something. But the important thing is the icon!

As you may recall, when Snake Pass updated its icon last year to be an enormous image of Noodle's head, with no title, there were many requests to change the icon to something consistent with other icons on Switch — namely, a key visual and the title of the game, as per Nintendo's own guidelines for devs. The feedback has led to many other developers updating their icons to follow suit.

It looks so much better this way. I'm really happy that Sumo Digital listened to fan feedback and implemented this simple but pleasing change. I regularly jump in and out of the home menu, checking my screens and friends list and changing controllers, etc, so it's a little thing that adds up.

As for the game itself: Snake Pass is excellent! It's one of the most inventive 3D "platformers" I've ever played, where mastery of the snake's movement mechanics is half of the game. You wriggle your body to gain traction and slither around, and you tighten your grip to hang onto poles while wrapping around them to climb. It's challenging but thoroughly addictive, and strangely therapeutic when you get into the zen-like flow.

The candy-coated visuals and whimsical David Wise soundtrack certainly add to the effect. It looks and sounds like an N64-era Rareware game (in spirit — the production values are modern quality, of course). And it has gameplay that would make Miyamoto himself smile. Like Steel Diver, but with snakes!

The game is highly recommended... Now excuse me while I permanently sever my internet connection so Sumo can't change the icon again!

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep that is indeed so much better, long time coming but good that they changed it.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We did it man! Just last night I bought the Steam version as a gift for a friend, so I want to think that my purchase allowed the devs to finally fix the icon.

You're welcome, everyone. Sonic Mania next?

Last edited:

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the switch icon thing a meme or a real thing people are upset about?

If it's real then grow up.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
You did it, man

Thank you for making the lives of thousands of Switch gamers better and more visually pleasing

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Is the switch icon thing a meme or a real thing people are upset about?

If it's real then grow up.
People like things that look good. It's a simple change that enhances the front-end experience. I'm glad they listened to the polite feedback and implemented the change. :-)

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Still not as good as the original one, but vastly better than the FTP Phone game crap they changed it to.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Someone post the old icon so the magnitude of the victory can be properly appreciated

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont get why people pressured Sumo to change icon instead of Nintendo for the ability to change it to whatever, or at least between a couple of icons. The older icon was funky as hell, I love Noodle..

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me believe we can make Half Life 3 also happen.
Now that the icon situation is resolved, I'll next focus on implementing common-sense gun control laws in the U.S., and de-escalating nuclear tensions on the Korean Peninsula. And then we can make Half-Life 3 happen.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
YES!
Now my switch homescreen looks good even after playing snake pass!!!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the icon situation is resolved, I'll next focus on implementing common-sense gun control laws in the U.S., and de-escalating nuclear tensions on the Korean Peninsula. And then we can make Half-Life 3 happen.
I think a release of Half Life 3 will do that automatically.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here is also the original, before we got the bad one
vddirz4js964ny4kobpyp80jjb.png

shamelessly stolen from Neiteio at the old place