• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Found this via the Famiboards forum, so thanks to those folks

ff4tease9wet2.png

Which would seem to indicate Fatal Frame Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, the previously Japan only entry on the Wii.

Lock if old.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Makes sense to me. The last port did well enough that more being on the way makes sense (especially those that weren't localized).

Would like them to do a bit more QoL if possible though.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
That would be a great announcement. FF4 is too good to still be restricted to a Japan-only Wii release.

Oct 25, 2017
That was Fatal Frame 5 :)

That was Fatal Frame 5. FF4 was never released outside of Japan.

Maiden of Black Water, aka Fatal Frame 5, was the one re-released on all consoles. This is the 4th one that was Japan only & exclusive to the Wii.

This is the Japan Wii exclusive. The Wii U game got a port.

That was the fifth entry originally on Wii U

This was on the original Wii and never came out in English.

Damn y'all are quick lol 😂

Which game is better?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
This one had a slightly higher rating than Maiden of the Black Water I think? Cool.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I played 2+3 last year and burnt out by the time 5 came out so maybe this year I can do 4+5 for October. FF4 is the one I really wanna play anyway. I mean, it's Suda so of course I'm interested.

This one had a slightly higher rating than Maiden of the Black Water I think? Cool.
I think most fans put it on par with 2 in terms of overall quality, though the reach is obviously not as high due to the localization situation being what it was.

Curious if this one is also going multiplatform, due to the game's reliance on motion controls compared to 5, but wherever it winds up going, this is a long overdue localization all the same. I'm guessing that FF2R won't be far behind this, too.

Apr 5, 2022
Watch it be digital only release because Koei-Tecmo is a cheap fuck.

"Yeeeeah. You tell Koei Tecmo, say it like you mean it!" I mean, It's no surprise xD They don't even dub their Samurai Warriors/Atelier game release's anymore so yes if they DO pull a Switch only release for Fatal Frame 4 then I'll be surprised, but that'd be weird because I'm sure Fatal Frame V made them some bank, I'd be even more shocked if the game isn't voice dubbed in english for the Switch as Fatal Frame 4 was a japan only release on Wii.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I only played this -by the fan translation-, and the wii 2 remake that Nintendo released in europe.
2 was clearly better, but this one has a great setting, some ghosts were really creepy, and the story was weird with all the playable characters and time skips.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Fatal Frame 4 is the best Fatal Frame game imo. It needs a remaster/ proper localization.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how those symbols point to Fatal Frame , but I hope it is the case

The "Mask" emoji is self explanatory.

Sun > Earth > Moon would be the alignment of the astronomical bodies in a lunar eclipse ( The earth blocks the suns light from reaching the moon).

Ghosts are what all the fatal frame games are about.

Hence, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, the 4th game in the series.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Will this be a different deal than FF5 because Nintendo helped in developing this game?

Hard to say; Nintendo also helped in developing FF5. In any case, the FFV website still has the whole "Copyright Nintendo" on there.
I guess it comes down to whether they saw enough of a return in investment from the other platform ports vs just making it Switch exclusive.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
If I recall, this was passed for localization because there was a bug that just couldn't be fixed in a timely fashion?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i'd absolutely love this, even with the larger (haha) drive there's no way i was getting this on WU

was this the one people didn't like as much overall or was that dark maiden?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i'd absolutely love this, even with the larger (haha) drive there's no way i was getting this on WU

was this the one people didn't like as much overall or was that dark maiden?

Four/Mask of the Lunar Eclipse was a Wii game, not a Wii U one.

It was also not as good as the other Wii game (Deep Crimson butterfly, a remake of 2), which might have been what you were thinking of. Maiden of Dark water was also a bit of a low point for the series too though,

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, this was the one where you had to twist the wiimote to make her turn or something, right? I can't imagine them keeping that if they're going through the trouble of remastering it. So maybe people will be kinder to it this time around.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! Hope this is the case. I remember playing a fan translation of the game on my Wii back in the day, but never finished it. Would love to have a chance to play it again.