• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

One of the wierdest romances, perhaps ever, is Sonic the Hedgehog and Princess Elise in the 2006 game.

It was always wrote off as bestiality, bad and disgusting. But to be honest...what were the developers actually thinking with this....and what does Sonic and the other characters think about Elise and her affection for Sonic?

Sonic has a different reaction than to Amy, the other romantic interrest. Unlike Amy, Sonic isn't annoyed at Elise or writes her off, but stays stoic and nice the whole time. Does Sonic feel sorry for her? Elise to me, always seemed rather sickly and mentally confused. Sonic, and other characters know this, perhaps. That's why Amy is ok with Elise kissing Sonic, and Sonic doesn't mind blowing out the flame to erase time. Because Elise is in a bad situation mentally.

To me, she works rather well as a stand-in for the Sonic fanbase at that time, like Sonic-Man.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giving the furries what they want

Forces proves they know ther 3D audience

Elise was gross though lol

Also the "bestiality" complaint was always stupid because A) Rouge exists and is clearly intended to be oggled(and many do without questioning it) and B) theyre all anthropomorphized anyway lol

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that the idea of Sonic having a human girlfriends dates all the way back to when the first game was in conception.

latest

Though, as you can see, it was clearly meant to be more of a funny/quirky Jessica Rabbit kind of thing, and not like what we ended up getting in Sonic 06

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era, are you ready for a fun fact?

More time has passed between now and when Sonic 2006 came out than the time between Sonic 3 and Sonic 2006.

That has been your fun fact for the day.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This game awakened so many furries. The Sonic fandom circa 2009 was a sight to behold.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Um.... there were interviews about why they did it before the game came out.

Hell if I know where they are.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
That and the fact that she kissed his corpse at the end

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They were actually thinking it would have been a magical moment. They didn't realize it was just weird.

Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely never had a problem with it and feel it was blown way out of proportion just like everything people say about Sonic 06.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I don't get is there's a scene where Elise bandages Sonic's arm because he's injured.

...even though his arm looks perfectly fine.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It directly appeals to a large... or at the very least prominent... portion of the fan-base.

I think that's what they were thinking

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

I love Sonic's look in this scene.

Like "wtf...I don't care...this bitch is strange, damn..."

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yall dont complain about Roger and Jessica Rabbit, I think you just dont like the execution?

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
Like literally everything in Sonic '06, it's a relatively innocent idea on paper that they fucked up in execution. Sonic is the first person in Elise's life that lives without responsibilities or suppressing their emotions like she's had to her entire life after her father's death. Of course you're going to be attracted to that in a "wow, golly gee!" kinda way, but then they go and have her kiss his dead body and made it weird.

If it weren't for the kiss I think there'd be more subtly to the relationship (terrible writing and voice acting aside).

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that the idea of Sonic having a human girlfriends dates all the way back to when the first game was in conception.

latest

Though, as you can see, it was clearly meant to be more of a funny/quirky Jessica Rabbit kind of thing, and not like what we ended up getting in Sonic 06
well, that idea was scrapped for something

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
A western studio (Blur) actually animated the Sonic X Elise CG cutscenes in the game. I wonder what they thought.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That and the fact that she kissed his corpse at the end
I'm pretty sure Shadow and Maria were just really good friends, Maria also never kissed Shadow's dead body lol

Because the kiss of life trope didn't exist before Sonic.

A western studio (Blur) actually animated the Sonic X Elise CG cutscenes in the game. I wonder what they thought.
You know those FBI agents who have to comb through horrifying footage and are forever traumatized by the experience? Yeah...

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Elise should have been a cat and Blaze's ancestor from a timeline where Sonic and cat Elise hook up.

Nov 17, 2017
I never really cared that Elise was human and Sonic was, well, a hedgehog. Maybe if Sonic was an actual hedgehog and not an anthropomorphic creature, I'd care. It's mostly just that the character and the romance was bad. Plus I just don't think Sonic should ever be involved in a romance. That Sally Acorn stuff from the comics sucks too.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That doesn't make it better

It actually does when people are trying to make it some thinly veiled necrophilia comment when it has roots in something far more innocent and fairy taleish, and something not out of place in plenty of family friendly content. It's a super weird hang up to be pointing out.