• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Easily the original Mortal Kombat. Ol' Sonic overthrew Silent Hill for second place. I still can't believe it...

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
81HfN%2B7aiiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, it counts.

Aug 27, 2018
Easily the original Mortal Kombat. Ol' Sonic overthrew Silent Hill for second place. I still can't believe it...
This is my answer too, Mortal Kombat Annihilation is a contender for WORST video game movie (even though I think the worst is actually Double Dragon) but the old Mortal Kombat movie is still watchable. ALSO! The old Destructoid podcast with Jim Sterling and Anthony Burch did a commentary for it and it's hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
This is my answer too, Mortal Kombat Annihilation is a contender for WORST video game movie (even though I think the worst is actually Double Dragon) but the old Mortal Kombat movie is still watchable. ALSO! The old Destructoid podcast with Jim Sterling and Anthony Burch did a commentary for it and it's hilarious.

It still blows my mind that the madman that spawned the Resident Evil "saga" made this. How one marriage can destroy so much.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill or Detective Pikachu for me. Mortal Kombat was decent too, but the lack of fatalities holds it back for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Detective Pikachu is decent at least, so much better than most/all video game movies

The only excellent game adaptation is Castlevania on Netflix

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's Doom or the newest Tomb Raider film.

Castlevania is the best though, but it's not live action.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Also, it seems like people are forgetting about Rampage. Which is a shame because it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be, it was actually quite fun. I'd put it up there with Detective Pikachu, Silent Hill and Sonic.

It's been a long time since I've seen Prince of Persia, I remember that being okayish as well? I could be remembering with rose tinted glasses though.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Mortal Kombat.

Also the new Jumanji is the best movie based(?) on video game mechanics that's not an actual video game movie.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Angry Birds 2
My favourite is probably one of the 2D Pokemon movies or something. I can't stand these live action adaptations.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This. Sonic movie was surprisingly good, but I still preferred detective Pikachu by a fairly decent margin....

All that said.... I had hoped DP was good, but from announcement the Sonic movie was a huge joke to me. The fact that it not only wasn't, but was legitimately good? Easily the biggest surprise for me.

Also the worst video game movie of all time was the double dragon movie, which is almost never mentioned by anyone. I assume simply because they don't know it exists.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Castlevania season 1 dethroned Mortal Kombat

And that's it for good videogame stuff

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Mortal Kombat is the GOAT so much so it cemented itself and the franchise as cultural icon no other video game movie can claim such a feat.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania is not a movie or live action but the only one I really liked. Pickachu and silent Hill are at the very least decent.

Street fighter 2 anime, castlevania, witcher netflix series

I also remember really liking Silent Hill movie

Witcher is based on the books and not the games. It's actually a direct adaptation of some of the stories in the books.

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think the first Silent Hill film in 2006 was at the very least a decent film and definitely the most faithful adaptation there's been of any video game adaptation. It was truly able to capture the atmosphere and all the dread that entailed and certain shots mirrored those from the games almost identically. You could really sense that the director was an admirer of the source material and wanted to do right by it.

To me it's really the only video game film worth a damn.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
One thing I didn't really like about the Sonic movie is how 'in the now' it was. Stuff like the floss and jokes about Amazon drone deliveries are inoffensive and I get why they put it in there, but they're really slapping a date on the movie with shit like that. Those jokes are old news at the end of the year (and some of 'em already are), where Detective Pikachu didn't really have stuff like that iirc. Those jokes and references were all in-universe for as far as I can remember and I really appreciate that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon: The First Movie. I found Detective Pikachu incredibly dull, actively bad at times. Haven't seen Sonic yet though.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
My favourite Pokemon movie is Jirachi Wish Maker.

Favourite video game movie overall, Mortal Kombat.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detective Pikachu was an incredible film and Psyduck stole the film. I love that movie.