• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this movie will have better word of mouth than Detective Pikachu. When I finished watching the pokemon I was practically done with it, I didnt hated it but I also didnt bothered to promote it with my friends

With Sonic I felt happy when leaving the theater, by any means is barely a decent movie, but good I felt that the movie was such a love lettee to the franchise and videogames that I told all my friends to watch it

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
mf1iqh8sx0h41.jpg

I feel like this movie will have better word of mouth than Detective Pikachu. When I finished watching the pokemon I was practically done with it, I didnt hated it but I also didnt bothered to promote it with my friends

With Sonic I felt happy when leaving the theater, by any means is barely a decent movie, but good I felt that the movie was such a love lettee to the franchise and videogames that I told all my friends to watch it
You were right (according to Cinemascore)

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Honestly a lot of people who might not necessarily be interested in this but are Jim Carrey fans. I have a friend who doesn't care about games or sonic in the least solely going because of him.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I was totally the other way around. I talked a lot about how surprised I was by the best parts of PDP. I liked Sonic fine but didn't leave compelled to compliment its characters, cgi, or jokes to my friends, Jim Carrey's great turn notwithstanding.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Just got back from it

Solid 7 .

Was uhhhhh impressed but some references ...lmao

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Just got back from watching it with a large group I enjoyed it for sure its a great popcorn movie you can go and enjoy yourself for an hour and a half. Sonic looks great!

Tails and the Echidnas are awesome looking too, Give me Sonic 2!!!

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
And, believe it or not, those sales numbers are still climbing tonight. Apparently, according to data that a Box Office Theory user has shared, Sonic is outpacing Detective Pikachu by 30%. This was at 17% this morning, and 20% this afternoon. If this trend continues, Sonic may be on pace to have the best opening weekend for a video game adaptation movie.

Whoa. Itshappening.gif
www.tssznews.com

TSSZ Is Closed

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Shouldn't the proper thinking be "these two videogame movies are sucessful and that's kinda cool"? While I'm not a Sonic fan but a Pokemon one I don't quite get the rivalry some paint.

edit: seeing this being sucessful makes me feel sad for the laid off employees at that one studio working on the movie, fucking sucks
Gotta inject some completely unnecessary rivalry and bash the other guy otherwise the achievement will be hollow, of course!

I'm just sitting here happy that two of the most recent high-profile video game movies are doing or have done pretty well. We've got another few coming our way next year too with Mortal Kombat and a new Tomb Raider, both of which I hope can do well too.

The VFX layoffs massively suck, but they're not specifically to do with Sonic (they worked on a number of studio's films including DP), more the volatile nature of the industry

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Weird post. And Pika never had a prayer of a chance defeating TS4. It was comical that folks thought otherwise.

There was a fair amount of people who believed it would, even going back to the first Toy Story 4 trailer, which in turn led to a very entertaining avatar bet thread not unlike this one! Fair to say Pokemon's popularity was overestimated in relation to the box office.

Sonic out grossing Detective Pikachu is even more ridiculous, but we'll see haha.

Just an FYI, I've participated in several of these avatar bet threads (Endgame vs. Avatar, Godzilla KotM vs. Dark Phoenix, etc) and I've won each one.

Team sonic, you have nothing to fear. :P

Excuse me, there was a KotM vs Dark Phoenix thread???

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
If Sonic wins I propose the losers have to wear variants of "(your name) the hedgehog" avatars.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Was this a vote or just commenting? Cant remember if I particacipated but I would gladly take the L if it happens. Pikachu made something above 100M domestically or so?

The Genesis was big in the US, UK , and South America
the popularity of Sonic with kids today has almost nothing to do with Sega. Its all YouTube, and Roblox. My son only started playing Sonic games after he was exposed to him through those. Roblox seems to be a solid indication of what's popular with a lot of kids currently.

Thanks for these perspectives! I really dont have a proper perspective on Segas past sucess or kids current interest in the IP.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta inject some completely unnecessary rivalry and bash the other guy otherwise the achievement will be hollow, of course!

You're in a thread where people made bets about whether a blue cartoon rat or a yellow cartoon rat will make more money. I'd be disappointed if there wasn't some completely unnecessary rivalry in here.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really heartwarming to see something Sonic related succeed like this against the odds. Here's hoping this leads to Sega having more confidence with the next mainline game.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My son begged me to take him this weekend, so I guess that's what we're doing today.

I'm kinda glad, I wanna check this out. I've fallen off the franchise, but I've got a lot of history with Sonic.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
My son begged me to take him this weekend, so I guess that's what we're doing today.

I'm kinda glad, I wanna check this out. I've fallen off the franchise, but I've got a lot of history with Sonic.
I was just about to reply the previous post that what's heartwarming for me is that this seems to be an enjoyable enough film for all ages to be a bonding experience across generations. Not just older Sonic fans but people who no longer game may have fond memories of Sonic games when they were younger, reliving that with their kids who are now that age themselves.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Went last night with wife, and she didn't burst into flames while I giggled like a toddler. So I take it as a fun and enjoyable film. And her "what the FUCK!?" at the mid-credits scene was loved by all movie goers.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it normal for Americans to audibly react to movies at the cinema? I always read about big crowd reactions from movies but in the UK I've rarely ever experienced that. Some laughs here and there, MAYBE if a movie is particularly special it might get a clap at the end and even that is ridiculously rare. We're largely silent.

I wish UK cinemas reacted to movies the way hear Americans do. Sounds fun. I'd have made some noise in the Sonic movie if it was socially acceptable to do so.

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Pokemon but I'm really happy that Sonic is doing well, it's a franchise I grew up with as a kid and it means a lot to me

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The sad part of this is seeing Sonic becoming the hero of neckbearded insels in their fight against the "wokness" of Birds of Pray Harley Quin movie.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Pikachu as well, but I will glady wear a dumb ass dunce avatar if it means that an actual piece of decent Sonic media is doing well!

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sad part of this is seeing Sonic becoming the hero of neckbearded insels in their fight against the "wokness" of Birds of Pray Harley Quin movie.

They did the same with Alita, not worth giving them the attention. Birds of Prey is doing relatively well for it's budget and will probably turn a profit in the end.

Videos on YouTube and plenty of people opinions that since Paramount listened to fans they've been rewarded and that woke movies are failing because that's not what people wants.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
They did the same with Alita, not worth giving them the attention. Birds of Prey is doing relatively well for it's budget and will probably turn a profit in the end.

Videos on YouTube and plenty of people opinions that since Paramount listened to fans they've been rewarded and that woke movies are failing because that's not what people wants.
But despite sonic hanging with a cop , the whole thing with this movie is " Bad government organization is bad " . Like the next movie if it has knuckles in it will be about eggman trying to steal a cultural relic and that's bad. And if they ever get to shadow, its about the government purposefully locking up innocent people to so they can hide away from the fucking atrocities they have committed.

Sonic isn't like I dunno some super duper political work , but its a very clear slant when it comes to presenting its issues.And against most of the shit those people stand for.

Like do they just absorb media and just not think about it

Last edited:

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly a lot of people who might not necessarily be interested in this but are Jim Carrey fans. I have a friend who doesn't care about games or sonic in the least solely going because of him.
same, managed to convince my entire fam to see this with me just by mentioning jim carrey

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that can't be understated. A lot of people still love him and have nostalgia for classic 90's era jim carrey. Even though ryan reynolds was pikachu, it's a little different.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone praising Sonic's success are in for a rude awakening since this road can only lead to one thing: a videogame adaptation of the movie, aka, Sonic The Hedgehog: The Movie: The Game.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Breaks Video Game Pic Opening Record With $70M & Reps 4th-Best Presidents’ Weekend Debut – Monday Update

Paramount's Sonic the Hedgehog will hit $70 million in its four days, making it the fourth-best Presidents' Day opening of all time.
UPDATED, Saturday AM final: After a string of pricey duds with Gemini Man, Terminator: Dark Fate, and Rhythm Section, Paramount gets back on track with its net $87M production of Sonic the Hedgehog, which could potentially score the best video game feature adaptation debut of all-time with a 3-day of $53.99M and 4-day of $64.3M according to industry estimates this morning. Anything over $54.3M in 3-days beats the previous record set by Legendary/Warner Bros.' Pokemon: Detective Pikachu. On a 4-day basis, Sonic does beat Detective Pikachu as the best start for a videogame feature, the former pic earning $58M over a non-holiday period last May. Paramount is seeing on their end a $50M 3-day and $60M 4-day for Sonic which is still great.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
But despite sonic hanging with a cop , the whole thing with this movie is " Bad government organization is bad " . Like the next movie if it has knuckles in it will be about eggman trying to steal a cultural relic and that's bad. And if they ever get to shadow, its about the government purposefully locking up innocent people to so they can hide away from the fucking atrocities they have committed.

Sonic isn't like I dunno some super duper political work , but its a very clear slant when it comes to presenting its issues.And against most of the shit those people stand for.

Like do they just absorb media and just not think about it
yeah, they really don't. at this point it's not worth the headache trying to make sense of any of their arbitrary arguments
i mean what does birds of prey even have to do with the conversation

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should have bet, but I was weak and didn't after the last bet I did with Detective Pikachu in it went badly.

Hey, at least I'm not in the time line where I could be losing a bet twice because of Detective Pikachu.