• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys should also remember stuff like RE performed better than Warcraft or Assassins Creed even though RE isn't actually bigger than those IPs in Video game sales. Sonic could potentially beat Pokemon movie despite being the smaller IP of the two.

I think Detective Pikachu's mass appeal was hurt a bit due to being unabashedly weird and faithful to the games. I saw a lot of reviews that said things like "only Poke-fans need apply" that may have scared off more casual viewers. Sonic on the other hand has been much more watered down to fit the typical Hollywood cartoon mascot movie mold, plus it has the added bonus of Jim Carrey hamming it up, so I think it could potentially see more success with general audiences.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't participate in these avatar bets, but Detective Pikachu opened at $58m and had a 2.5 multiplier. If Sonic opens at $45m, it would need a 3.2 multiplier (an incredibly r rare feat in general, but definitely without summer vacation or Christmas break box office) to reach Detective Pikachu's number. It is incredibly unlikely.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yep, the popularity of the IP matters to an extent but the ultimate factor is the appeal of the movie

I think Paramount has probably made an uncontroversial crowd-pleaser
One thing working in Sonic's favor IMO is in my total anecdotal experience talking with people about it, they thought it looked cool but were confused as to why they adapted Detective Pikachu. Some didn't even know it was based on a specific video game, they just thought they randomly did a detective story but with Pokemon.

I think it was a good way to hedge their bets - like, imagine if they did a Big Stupid Red/Blue adaptation and it totally bombed - but the result is that it doesn't feel like the Pokemon movie, if that makes sense. It takes place in the Pokemon world and everything of course, but they didn't have Tim going around catching Pokemon or fighting gyms or anything like that.

Sonic doesn't suffer from that (for better or worse), it's literally just the Sonic and Robotnik origin story. The "fictional character winds up on Earth" angle is kind of overdone at this point but even then it's hardly unusual for the Sonic series. It isn't like they started out with a random side story about the Chaotix detective agency or something.

I also think Jim Carrey as Eggman is a bigger draw than Ryan Reynolds doing the voice of Pikachu, but I could very well be wrong on that.

I don't participate in these avatar bets, but Detective Pikachu opened at $58m and had a 2.5 multiplier. If Sonic opens at $45m, it would need a 3.2 multiplier (an incredibly r rare feat in general, but definitely without summer vacation or Christmas break box office) to reach Detective Pikachu's number. It is incredibly unlikely.
Smurfs/Chipmunks legs would put it over $180m. Not saying it'll do as good as those movies (they had over 4x multipliers) but you have to remember Detective Pikachu also faced much stiffer competition with Endgame, it didn't even open at #1. Sonic has the family market cornered for three weekends until Onward.

Oct 25, 2017
Where's that scene from Smash Bros where they are both nixed?

They tried to team up to escape, they wouldn't want to fight like this.

*plays them against each other in Smash anyway*

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Where's that scene from Smash Bros where they are both nixed?

They tried to team up to escape, they wouldn't want to fight like this.

*plays them against each other in Smash anyway*
Pikachu-dies.gif

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I also think Jim Carrey as Eggman is a bigger draw than Ryan Reynolds doing the voice of Pikachu, but I could very well be wrong on that.

Smurfs/Chipmunks legs would put it over $180m. Not saying it'll do as good as those movies (they had over 4x multipliers) but you have to remember Detective Pikachu also faced much stiffer competition with Endgame, it didn't even open at #1. Sonic has the family market cornered for three weekends until Onward.
Jim Carrey hasn't been relevant in the box office for a long time. His last $100m+ grossing movie was A Christmas Carol in 2009. Since 2005 he's only had one other movie top that number as well. Ryan Reynolds is pretty bankable.

Worth noting that Call of the Wild also comes out a week after Sonic and Disney will get that in a lot of theaters. Chances are very good that it will be a better movie than Sonic as well so that will probably cut into its legs a bit.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Jim Carrey hasn't been relevant in the box office for a long time. His last $100m+ grossing movie was A Christmas Carol in 2009. Since 2005 he's only had one other movie top that number as well. Ryan Reynolds is pretty bankable.

Worth noting that Call of the Wild also comes out a week after Sonic and Disney will get that in a lot of theaters. Chances are very good that it will be a better movie than Sonic as well so that will probably cut into its legs a bit.
I dunno man, that dog looks weird.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think some weird version of "Sonichu" should be the losers' avatar. The setup is perfect.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I bet that Sonic will outperform Pokemon"

""Why would you make that bet?"

SphericalRingedHeifer-size_restricted.gif

Im gonna see Sonic, but no way he beats Pikachu. You can mark me down for that.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Jan 15, 2020
I'm not worried. Sonic is never gonna make that much money. Sonic is dead at this point and most people became super cynical in regards to that movie due to the first trailer with that awful monster. Sign me up, I'll go against the Sonic movie.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Team Pikachu because I like my Samus avatar but I want to feel alive by living on that precarious 99.9 percentile edge

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Eh fuck it, I got the last Pikachu bet right. I'll go for Team Pikachu this time, if only because of the difference in size of the brands. Of course, as we learned last time, just because Pokemon is some massive franchise doesn't mean its gonna gross half a billion dollars :P

Fuck I'll go all the way, and wear some sort of fucking Sonichu avatar if I have too, even if no one else is wearing one!

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I can't have this amazing avatar already and not rep my boy Sonic, so put me down in the camp that Sonic WILL outgross Pikachu domestically.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Listen, if we're going to go for it, let's go for it. This should be a mark of shame for being so proud of your ideals.

So if you're on Team Pikachu and you lose, this should be your avatar:
teamSonicFailAlt.png

If you're on Team Sonic, and you lose, this should be your avatar:
teamPikachuFail.png

If y'all decide to use these, I will partake in this terrible competition, and I will be on Team Sonic. Because I think they're putting more marketing into Sonic than Pokemon did.

Example:
v1kogGS.png

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
nope. it will probably also be pretty bad just like detective Pikachu
and especially unfunny, if the trailer wasn't evidence enough