• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Cross posting from Box Office thread:

Hi kids! It is your Uncle Phoney here, and he got bored and decided to look at all the G/PG films that opened (or expanded) to opening weekends above $50m. Just like Detective Pikachu and Sonic!

mrgOVN0.png

Look at that! The average for a family film that opens above $50m is a 3.47x.
What is that? You want me to remove the movies that opened midweek, thus skewing their multiplier? Sure! That gets us a 3.39x. It sure does help when you have over 60 films as data points.
What is the worst multiplier of this bunch? Why, it is Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer with the 2.27x.
Even poor Pikachu was in the three worst multipliers with a paltry 2.65x.

So what does that mean for the Blue Blur?

Well, if Sonic were to perform on average with all these films he would end with $201.3m domestic!
If we eliminate midweek openings, he would end with $196.7m
If he performed like he was Rise of the Silver Surfer, he would end at $131.7m
If he performed like Pikachu, he would end at $153.7m

So basically, the only way that Sonic would miss topping Pikachu domestic is if audiences reacted to it the same way they reacted to Rise of the Silver Surfer, and its performance from Friday to Saturday shows it is not going to behave that way.

SonicChuKick.gif

Aren't math and statistics fun, kids?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw it and I really liked it. I was surprised how much I genuinely like the human characters and everyone played their parts well.

This is one of those movies where I feel like I'm even more excited fr a potential sequel though.

Also more Agent Stone next time, loved him and Eggman.

Oct 25, 2017

Hi kids! It is your Uncle Phoney here, and he got bored and decided to look at all the G/PG films that opened (or expanded) to opening weekends above $50m. Just like Detective Pikachu and Sonic!

mrgOVN0.png

What is that? You want me to remove the movies that opened midweek, thus skewing their multiplier? Sure! That gets us a 3.39x. It sure does help when you have over 60 films as data points.
What is the worst multiplier of this bunch? Why, it is Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer with the 2.27x.

Well, if Sonic were to perform on average with all these films he would end with $201.3m domestic!

So basically, the only way that Sonic would miss topping Pikachu domestic is if audiences reacted to it the same way they reacted to Rise of the Silver Surfer, and its performance from Friday to Saturday shows it is not going to behave that way.

SonicChuKick.gif

Well okay, then. Sonic's heading to 160-180M domestic probably, I guess.

Fantastic analysis in response to the question of whether Sonic will pass DP, by the way.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah suggesting Sonic won't pass Pikachu at this point is just wishful thinking. Huge opening, good word of mouth, Team Sonic's got this in the bag.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah suggesting Sonic won't pass Pikachu at this point is just wishful thinking. Huge opening, good word of mouth, Team Sonic's got this in the bag.
I bet against Sonic and I'm ecstatic LOL. Despite loving the games, I really didnt think it would do well at all. I will gladly wear a horrific avatar

The good word of mouth is so interesting to me, too. As a huge Sonic fan like... the movie wasn't spectacular, imo? It was good and WELL above expectations but like... an A cinemascore? Crazy.

Hopefully this bodes well for a sequel and it is a superior film to this.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

mrgOVN0.png

SonicChuKick.gif

So why make gifs like this

who started the war?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Both movies sucked bwahhaha
I have zero emotional attachment to either franchise, even if I have been familiar with sonic longer just because it is older. But of the two, I enjoyed Sonic more, if just by a small amount. Both are serviceable and enjoyable family films and not much more. Sonic is just a little bit more fun mainly because Jim Carrey seems to be acting in a totally different film than everyone else.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
stealthyfrog , under the circumstances that I stand amongst the losing men and women in this bet (I voted in favor of Pikachu), do I have your permission to honorably wear the "Nut Lord" avatar as a badge of shame?

I can't imagine it any other way, tbh

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
How would you combine 3 and SA1? Death Egg and Chaos seem like too much.
I think going into space in this film series would honestly be a mistake. The Death Egg could just be a replacement for the Egg Carrier too, honestly.

The more I think about it the crazier it is to me just how much content they have here to build genuinely fantastic films. Especially as most of the reference points are notably light on story it should be easier to work with. Though I will keep my expectations in check and not start expecting stuff like a remix of Look Alike from Sonic OVA by a mainstream musician, hah.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
These references are actually incredible.
unknown.png

Going as far to include a pre-production Sonic 1 easter egg is next level stuff.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Combining elements doesn't have to mean bringing both stories together in one film. It can simply be like, having Sonic find some uncharted island/planet with an ancient race of echidnas and Eggman finding a relic or something.

That being said, the plot of the Adventure games is way too intense for the tone they've created with this film series. Jim Carrey clearly is playing a comedic Eggman. Making him as nefarious as he was in SA1 and 2 would be absurd.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its just an iconic title for the franchise though. Maybe it won't be called Sonic Adventure. But it could have a title with the word Adventure in it and the words Sonic and Adventure are highlighted.

I would freak out if the reveal trailer of Sonic Adventure movie hints Orca Chase from Emerald Coast.

Even though, I hope second movie still is "grounded" and everything space battle/Super Sonic/Death Egg hold till third act of a third movie.

Also, keep SA2 plot away from here lol

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they hold back with the trailers for the next movie. They definitely showed a bit too much of the movie before release. Shit like Super Sonic I don't want to be seeing before the movie hits.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Wow, impressive. All this attention to detail makes their original Sonic design even more confusing!
I believe Tyson said a lot of the little details were added in after the fact, when he was brought on to help redesign the character, the map being a specific example of that.

The echidna tribe were also some generic lizard baddies in the original script as well.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I would freak out if the reveal trailer of Sonic Adventure movie hints Orca Chase from Emerald Coast.

Even though, I hope second movie still is "grounded" and everything space battle/Super Sonic/Death Egg hold till third act of a third movie.

Also, keep SA2 plot away from here lol
I think expectations should he tempered for specific references and movies being named specifically after games. The movies will likely be titled numerically or with titles that highlight characters (e.g.: "Sonic & Tails", etc.).

Fowler's Sonic movie was a pleasant surprise in how it respected the source material and had a few deepcut references, but the movie didn't follow any specific game storyline. I think the best we will get is some nice character dynamic stuff if they start opening the floodgate to characters beyond Tails.

Remember, the writers of the movie weren't the ones to include references to games and make decisions to add the echidna tribe. They were put in after the redesign by request of Tyson Hesse, it seems.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went to see it yesterday. Was a fun film although inconsistent. Theater was packed. Winter break up here in the NE so lots of parents and kids in the showing laughing. Was funny to hear some of the kids mention that Robotnik sounds like the Grinch not knowing who Jim Carrey is. I'm so old.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think expectations should he tempered for specific references and movies being named specifically after games. The movies will likely be titled numerically or with titles that highlight characters (e.g.: "Sonic & Tails", etc.).

Fowler's Sonic movie was a pleasant surprise in how it respected the source material and had a few deepcut references, but the movie didn't follow any specific game storyline. I think the best we will get is some nice character dynamic stuff if they start opening the floodgate to characters beyond Tails.

Remember, the writers of the movie weren't the ones to include references to games and make decisions to add the echidna tribe. They were put in after the redesign by request of Tyson Hesse, it seems.
The direction of this movie seemed like it was influenced heavily by budgetary restrictions, though. I believe the writers mentioned recently on a podcast they tried including more scenes on the other worlds with other CGI characters and the studio heads kept cutting it down to save money.

Not saying anything going forward will be a 1:1 adaptation of any game plots but I wouldn't be surprised if they were given a looser leash going forward now that the first movie was such a hit, and can do a more "traditional" Sonic plot, i.e. world hopping, chasing Chaos Emeralds, etc.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
The direction of this movie seemed like it was influenced heavily by budgetary restrictions, though. I believe the writers mentioned recently on a podcast they tried including more scenes on the other worlds with other CGI characters and the studio heads kept cutting it down to save money.

Not saying anything going forward will be a 1:1 adaptation of any game plots but I wouldn't be surprised if they were given a looser leash going forward now that the first movie was such a hit, and can do a more "traditional" Sonic plot, i.e. world hopping, chasing Chaos Emeralds, etc.
Agreed. The first movie is an origin story, but also a good way to gauge public interest...and interest seems high, so I feel they'll be much more free with a sequel between both the way they handled the original model fiasco and how much the aspects Hesse possibly influenced seem to be a large focus of the interest of viewers after the fact.

If they don't capitalize on those teases, I'll be VERY disappointed in the sequel.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Keeping the budget down was, in hindsight, a very smart move that's paying off really well so far.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Only part of 3 I think really needs to stay is a rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles, and perhaps even a Knuckles/Eggman team-up until the former switches sides. Considering they outright reference Obi-Wan Kenobi at the beginning of this movie, I don't think they'll ever include the Death Egg unless they specifically want to emphasize the parody aspect of it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Only part of 3 I think really needs to stay is a rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles, and perhaps even a Knuckles/Eggman team-up until the former switches sides. Considering they outright reference Obi-Wan Kenobi at the beginning of this movie, I don't think they'll ever include the Death Egg unless they specifically want to emphasize the parody aspect of it.
It's definitely not beneath the movie's brand of humor (Jim Carrey's Robotnik would know what Star Wars is), but I agree Death Egg would be a bit too on the nose for a film.

If they want Robotnik to build a space station, there are certainly plenty of Death Egg alternatives from the games (like the space fleet from the opening to Unleashed).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I believe Tyson said a lot of the little details were added in after the fact, when he was brought on to help redesign the character, the map being a specific example of that.

The echidna tribe were also some generic lizard baddies in the original script as well.
Ahhh, I see! That's really impressive then, to make so many changes to a film like that. I'm really glad it's paying off for them =)

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It's definitely not beneath the movie's brand of humor (Jim Carrey's Robotnik would know what Star Wars is), but I agree Death Egg would be a bit too on the nose for a film.

If they want Robotnik to build a space station, there are certainly plenty of Death Egg alternatives from the games (like the space fleet from the opening to Unleashed).
Depends on how tightly they want to follow certain aspects of Sonic 2 through Knuckles. The Death Egg was pretty integral into why Angel Island fell initially since it was the impact rather than the missing Master Emerald that caused it. A fleet wouldn't have that sort of reaction.

That of course is following relatively strictly. There are alternatives such as Eggman stealing the Master Emerald to begin with instead, not having the island fall at all, or hell, have the whole island be displaced to Earth via a giant ring or something...I have a feeling they'll play fast and loose with it.

That said, if it's a space station, I still think it's gonna be egg-shaped...more so than the Death Egg even...because that's the clear motif Dr. Robotnik had going in...the iEgg as it were.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question, if they lean heavily into adapting a game plot does Tom still tag along with Sonic or is he given a smaller role?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Here's a question, if they lean heavily into adapting a game plot does Tom still tag along with Sonic or is he given a smaller role?
I'm guessing he'd be slotted in somehow. I imagine it would be smaller, but I'm guessing they'll do their own thing that allows him to stay in a leading role somehow. I think any adaptation going forward is going to be VERY broad and only take elements from the stories: Tails, Knuckles, maybe a Death Egg, Shadow, etc. The exact implementation of them will all be different from the games though.

Like, I don't expect them to go the whole "50 years ago", Gerald Robotnik, Space Colony ARK, route with Shadow, but rather that Eggman (or should we still call him Robotnik at this point?) will "clone" Sonic in some way. I mean, maybe they do and still take it in their own direction and Sonic's actually a product of Earth after all and that's how he got his powers? Who knows really, but I'm okay with them taking liberties as long as it makes for good stories.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The next movie's emotional arc will be about Tom and Maddie thinking about having a child which Sonic finds off-putting, so he latches onto his new friendship with Tails as a way of getting back at Tom (which naturally eats at Tom as well and complicates Tom and Maddie's marriage). It's all resolved in the end when Sonic decides his work here is done and travels through other dimensions with his new best friend Tails, while Tom, Maddie and their newborn baby (who is also named Sonic) tearfully wave goodbye.

Bookmark this post

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are a bunch of sonic games that takes place in human land. Like I dunno if the next movie is just sonic and Knuckles it might take some doing. But all you need to do is I dunno have a plot point where sonic needs his help for some reason. Or maybe sonic visits for advice. Little cameo then he's out , I imagine the guy doesn't really want to be stuck in sonic movies forever either so it would work out for both parties