• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
These trailers, interviews, and ads are getting me excited. Was going to see it regardless as Sonic was my first introduction to video games.

Girlfriend is going, she thinks I'm 12, but she sat though End Game and Detective Pikachu with me without knowing either source material. However, she love End Game, we both fell asleep in Detective Pikachu--completely walked out of TROS together to go to a bar lmao. We might be going to a late show of Sonic, loaded.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I've just seen the movie, it's as good as detective pikachu. Some nice references to the games but my god do they just reference everything constantly. Uber, twitch, Fitbit everything modern gets a shout out.

"Also Sanic (the shitty meme drawing) is in. Also Tails?
Do you actually see Tails in full view? If so, what's his design like?

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Do you actually see Tails in full view? If so, what's his design like?

you see him in a mid credits sequence, you see him in full and he's got some sort of little scanner radar thing with him. He looks exactly as you'd expect, based on the sonic design. He also has a couple of lines

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh c'mon guys/gals, don't tempt me like that with those spoilers :(

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Happily bet on Team Pikachu and it won't even be close.

Sonic will have a profitable run but it won't topple detective pikachu

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
I thought about it a while.. and Im to scared cause I think I am underestimating sonic fans.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Detective Pikachu had stiff competition from Avengers and Alladin. Sonic has none unless you count that Harley Quinn movie. Plus, there are no other kids' movies for many weeks later.

Sonic appeals greatly to kids while 90's kids who are now parents would love to see Jim Carrey back in a comedic role for the first time in years.

The more scenes I see, the more this movie looks like harmless fun even if it's not epic or hilarious. There's no gross, toilet humor and some of the jokes land pretty good.

Count me in for Team Sonic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Never.

I'm team Pikachu.
Put me in Team Sonic
Put me down for against
I'm ready to make a dumb decision

FOR
Sure, I'll go Team Sonic.
Always bet against Sonic, always.

Team against pls.
Happily bet on Team Pikachu and it won't even be close.

Sonic will have a profitable run but it won't topple detective pikachu
Detective Pikachu had stiff competition from Avengers and Alladin. Sonic has none unless you count that Harley Quinn movie. Plus, there are no other kids' movies for many weeks later.

Sonic appeals greatly to kids while 90's kids who are now parents would love to see Jim Carrey back in a comedic role for the first time in years.

The more scenes I see, the more this movie looks like harmless fun even if it's not epic or hilarious. There's no gross, toilet humor and some of the jokes land pretty good.

Count me in for Team Sonic.
giphy.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bets are now closed! Vote for which avatar Team Pikachu will wear if Sonic > Pikachu HERE and which avatar Team Sonic will wear if Pikachu > Sonic HERE. I compiled some of the suggestions and added a couple of my own.

Avatars for Team Pikachu if Sonic > Pikachu:
1. (Apparently this one is an edit of blackface Bugs Bunny so take that into consideration)
a8fc9adeca1414db55e2febcfcb5fe01.jpg

34b4c403bdef5c89aa9a5d509f36637da3825082_hq.jpg

teamPikachuFail.png

Sonic-avatar-bet.jpg

Avatars for Team Sonic if Pikachu > Sonic:
mDIfZCU.jpg

NO-USE.png

teamSonicFailAlt.png

Pikachu-avatar-bet.jpg

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
haha fine, but Pikachu still looks like he goes FTL Move Description being "invisibly fast."
A quick search shows that to be around 38146 mph meaning Pikachu is more than 6 and a half times faster than Sonic's highest canonical speed :P

OBJECTION

1. Pokedex descriptions are notorious for stretching the truth
2. Quick Attack users are unlikely to be moving anywhere near FTL speeds considering even pathetically slow Pokemon like Bidoof and Sentret are able to learn it
3. Even if we assume Quick Attack does allow the user to move faster than light, it is only sustainable for a very brief period, whereas Sonic's speed (which is canonically FTL) is sustainable for great lengths of time and can be used to travel great distances

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
OBJECTION

1. Pokedex descriptions are notorious for stretching the truth
2. Quick Attack users are unlikely to be moving anywhere near FTL speeds considering even pathetically slow Pokemon like Bidoof and Sentret are able to learn it
3. Even if we assume Quick Attack does allow the user to move faster than light, it is only sustainable for a very brief period, whereas Sonic's speed (which is canonically FTL) is sustainable for great lengths of time and can be used to travel great distances

Its not just the Pokedex, its how they're presented in animation for moves like QA, Agility, Double Team. How long they can sprint for is irrelevant when that's not a measure of fastest that's a measure of stamina. "fastest thing alive" isn't the same claim as "fastest marathon runner" ;)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Its not just the Pokedex, its how they're presented in animation for moves like QA, Agility, Double Team. How long they can sprint for is irrelevant when that's not a measure of fastest that's a measure of stamina. "fastest thing alive" isn't the same claim as "fastest marathon runner" ;)
To be fair to sonic there are bunches of things that are represented as faster and more powerful than they actually are. Sonic is most likely faster, the visual effect is just different.

That said, sonic technically speaking isn't the fastest thing alive in sonic land. So his claim is with an conditional

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to sonic there are bunches of things that are represented as faster and more powerful than they actually are. Sonic is most likely faster, the visual effect is just different.

That said, sonic technically speaking isn't the fastest thing alive in sonic land. So his claim is with an conditional

idk, without powerups and boosts the fastest ive seen him run in games didn't look anywhere near close to the speed of sound
Im just preparing you guys for the ticket sales disappointment really

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bets are now closed! Vote for which avatar Team Pikachu will wear if Sonic > Pikachu HERE and which avatar Team Sonic will wear if Pikachu > Sonic HERE. I compiled some of the suggestions and added a couple of my own.

Avatars for Team Pikachu if Sonic > Pikachu:
a8fc9adeca1414db55e2febcfcb5fe01.jpg

34b4c403bdef5c89aa9a5d509f36637da3825082_hq.jpg

teamPikachuFail.png

Sonic-avatar-bet.jpg

Avatars for Team Sonic if Pikachu > Sonic:
mDIfZCU.jpg

NO-USE.png

teamSonicFailAlt.png

Pikachu-avatar-bet.jpg
Nice.

BoxOfficePro is currently predicting Sonic to finish around $125m domestic but if it beaks out (which I think is very likely) it doesn't need that much more to outgross Detective Pikachu's $144m domestic.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
We gotta get "Sega does what Nintendon't" on one of those. I vote for the first one (and add that text if possible).

Village

Oct 25, 2017
idk, without powerups and boosts the fastest ive seen him run in games didn't look anywhere near close to the speed of sound
It should be noted that every sonic character is kinda nerfed when you play them, vs what they actually do. And sonic has been portrayed as going pretty fast in media particularly in the games, just not playing him because...well how you do represent that on an interesting level. The speed he goes now causes a problem with development costs.

To connect this to the film, movie sonic unlike game sonic works on flash rules so he can actually move in the realm of not being perceived.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sonic will be the first kids movie in theaters since Frozen 2 so that demographic will be hungry. It also has basically no competition for three straight weekends until Onward comes out.

I'm not gonna say it beating Detective Pikachu is a guarantee, but at this point I would be more surprised if it doesn't than if it does.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
To connect this to the film, movie sonic unlike game sonic works on flash rules so he can actually move in the realm of not being perceived.

Well yeah, in the live action one he works on cartoon logic, as in being able to go buy things at a rubber band ball gift shop 10 miles away within a few seconds.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sonic will be the first kids movie in theaters since Frozen 2 so that demographic will be hungry. It also has basically no competition for three straight weekends until Onward comes out.

I'm not gonna say it beating Detective Pikachu is a guarantee, but at this point I would be more surprised if it doesn't than if it does.
BOP is projecting a pretty high multiplier for Sonic

The big question mark for me was whether Sonic's legs would be closer to Pikachu or to the other CGI hybrid movies like The Smurfs and Peter Rabbit so it's comforting to see BOP predict strong legs

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, in the live action one he works on cartoon logic, as in being able to go buy things at a rubber band ball gift shop 10 miles away within a few seconds.
No I mean he literally goes into " flash time " where everything is so slow it seems as though time has stopped for him. This was in one of the older trailers with the old design, this could have been removed from thefilm I don't know