• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Sonic the Hedgehog movie had a rough first impression with both fans of the franchise and the general audience.

giphy.gif

It has since recovered in public reception with a second trailer that showcased a much better redesigned Sonic and a tone more befitting of the blue blur.

Currently, per The Hollywood Reporter, Sonic the Hedgehog is tracking for a solid $40-45M debut on a $90M production budget pre-redesign.

Sonic seems to be destined for a relatively successful box office run in its own right.

However, I have higher expectations for this hedgehog. Yes, Sonic the Hedgehog will outgross Detective Pikachu, the Hollywood motion picture debut of the biggest media franchise in the world! (domestically)

AltruisticWhisperedGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

If Sonic the Hedgehog ends its domestic box office run below $144,105,346, those who bet for Sonic domestic > Detective Pikachu domestic will have to wear an avatar voted for by fellow ERA users from some acceptable options for one month.

If Sonic the Hedgehog ends its domestic box office run above $144,105,346, those who bet against Sonic domestic > Detective Pikachu domestic will have to wear an avatar
voted for by fellow ERA users from some acceptable options for one month.

Bets will close on February 5.

So, what say you, Era? Who will prevail, the fastest creature in the world or a puny yellow rat?

Pikachu-dies.gif

FOR:
stealthyfrog
Aaron
super anime man 64
ZeldaGalaxy94
Baladium
ctfg23
Catalix
Bilix
retroman
Camjo-Z
Agni Kai
RecRoulette
b00
StreaksFox
xmonkeyofevil
AlecKoKuTan
Ignatz Mouse
Callibretto
Sexy Fish
Rapscallion
Moara
Nakasan-EFC
IronicSonic
Zexion
BlackPizzaCrocodile
Jipset
sibarraz
stangthang26
ReBirFh
MerluzaSamus
breakYODAy
Relaxed Muscle
MonsterJail
SABO.
ChemicalWorld
Serein
TsunamiOfSwagger
Xadra
Rolodzeo
XeroxKopy
ZServ
MillionIII
Semfry
Zanmato
Shigs
Mashy
TheKeyPit
Mexen

AGAINST:
Porygon
TaySan
Kwigo
Solid SOAP
Ultimate Bear Cub
Ashodin
TheGullsHaveBeaks
Pop-O-Matic
AlexMeloche
Pedro
ChaosXVI
Deimos
tsampikos
PanSexual_Peacock
ShinobiBk
KamenSenshi
Boards of Canada
Denman
RockmanBN
LukarWuff
Ephonk
Sunny
MarioSuperstar77
milkyway
Theorymon
Linde
mazpratim
FarbrorBaku
GlassCup64
SephusJo
PetyrBaeless
Winny(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و
Xharos
Ramsay
Ashlette
Filipus
Alastor3
Zebezian-X
AfropunkNyc
lexony
Bish_Bosch
Kneefoil
Polnareff
weekev
Joe White
Edge
DanteLinkX
JonCha
DragonSJG
hersheyfan
TRS1099
LordBlodgett
phant0m
Border
scamander
night814
Tom Nook
Ezra
tsab
Slash Ess
600&forty-nine
cmdrshepard
Rayearth

UPDATE: It is over.
SonicChuKick.gif

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Why are avatar bets based around box office? Why not something like the NBA or Dems primary elections or something.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Your third image is broken.

Also, what is the time period of the bet?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I won't avatar bet

but, domestically, I can see it.The films aesthetic seems way more kid friendly than Ryan Reynolds voices Pikachu.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely won't.

I won't avatar bet because, hey anything is possible, but Pikachu had a lot more hype and positive attention towards it than Sonic and that affects box office performance.

May 26, 2019
Completely against this one. It is probably gonna make a little more than half of what Detective Pikachu made. People are completing overhyping the box office for this movie, especially since video game movies still have a bad stigma against them.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it kinda depends on how strongly the film is marketed, but so many big films have been box office bombs in the last few years that I wouldn't want to take that bet.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as fans have latched on to the post-redesign trailers, I feel like the first trailer and original Sonic design killed a lot of general interest and poisoned the well for this film. That plus the fact that this is another "cartoon character goes to real world and hangs out with bland human lead character" film (which audiences just don't respond to well anymore) I think really hurts it's chances of doing well, and the current OW tracking (about $20-30M) indicates that this probably won't even have a shot of defeating TecChu unless it somehow ends up in the 90s on RT and has legs like pre-redesign Sonic.

#Against

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
For the record the avatar I plan to choose will be this picture but with some witty caption
Raw-Sonic.jpg
Nothing too bad, just a badge of shame

If you guys decide on a better avatar then we can use that instead
Why are avatar bets based around box office? Why not something like the NBA or Dems primary elections or something.
Because box office totals are pretty low stakes
Yeah when is the bet decided and how long must we wear our shame?
Updated the OP. Avatar lasts for one month. Bet is decided once it is announced that Sonic has ended its box office run.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
For the record the avatar I plan to choose will be this picture but with some witty caption
Raw-Sonic.jpg
Nothing too bad, just a badge of shame

If you guys decide on a better avatar then we can use that instead

Because box office totals are pretty low stakes

Updated the OP. Avatar lasts for one month. Bet is decided once it is announced that Sonic has ended its box office run.

I really think ya gotta go with this one:

hqdefault.jpg

What do you think? ;)

Window

Oct 27, 2017
That 45M forecast, is that for a 3 day or 4 day weekend? This is already over if that's for a 4 day weekend.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Probably because it's frivolous enough that most people wouldn't have any investment in it otherwise.

Contrast to a lot of sports fans who literally consider their fandom a part of their identity, or politics which is more broadly consequential.

If my dumb Sonic the Hedgehog movie flops I'll be bummed as a fan, wear a silly avatar on a message board for a month (or however long) and then move on with my life.

(I also really enjoyed Detective Pikachu so I won't mind if I'm wrong)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to take a part of this bet but I will say I overestimated Pikachu and I'm not sure I'm ready to do so again.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because it's frivolous enough that most people wouldn't have any investment in it otherwise.

Contrast to a lot of sports fans who literally consider their fandom a part of their identity, or politics which is more broadly consequential.

If my silly Sonic the Hedgehog movie flops I'll be bummed as a fan, wear a silly avatar on a message board for a month (or however long) and then move on with my life.

(I also really enjoyed Detective Pikachu so I won't mind if I'm wrong)
But that's so boring. You need high stakes!

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Even the Detective Pikachu avatar bet thread ended up being pretty nasty. Imagine how bad an avatar bet over actual politics would be

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
FOR
More hype for this than I was for DP

Really wanted to see it in November around my birthday, so it a late birthday present for myself

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a broken picture in the OP. And I'm Team Pikachu, no way at all Sonic is more successful.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If I make this bet...does that mean I can replace my current loser's avatar?
No one's forcing you to keep the avatar for the full duration

You can wait until that bet is complete and then add the month of this losing bet if you want

Or just drop that other bet and wear the new avatar right away

Doesn't matter