• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey's soft relaunch is going to kill Sonic at the box office

Birds of prey don't exactly have a great track record against Sonic.

ea977a056bc3c0b94702c853ec441a20.jpg

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The avatars should have been either Sonic or Pikachu saying there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If we're talking RT scores, I'd say 50% at best. No way it ends up fresh.
Its plot won't save it, but the added comedy and animation skits might. I think Pokemon movie was marketed well, but being a Detective Pikachu adaptation threw people unfamiliar with either pokemon or that story off in the cinema, and the movie did a poor job of justifying why any of those Mons were as necessary for the screentime as they were.

Pokemon fans gushed while regular audiences were like "Whah??". Even good CGI can't give it a free pass for not getting the right points across.

This movie, cliche as it is looks like it has a solid plot, that does a good job of making you invested in what you need to be invested in, which is Sonic and Jim Carrey's rivalry. As long as the lines are quippy and Jim Carrey is funny, it gives the movie tremendous goodwill with someone just going to see a piece of entertainment.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Its plot won't save it, but the added comedy and animation skits might. I think Pokemon movie was marketed well, but being a Detective Pikachu adaptation threw people unfamiliar with either pokemon or that story off in the cinema, and the movie did a poor job of justifying why any of those Mons were as necessary for the screentime as they were.

Pokemon fans gushed while regular audiences were like "Whah??". Even good CGI can't give it a free pass for not getting the right points across.

This movie, cliche as it is looks like it has a solid plot, that does a good job of making you invested in what you need to be invested in, which is Sonic and Jim Carrey's rivalry. As long as the lines are quippy and Jim Carrey is funny, it gives the movie tremendous goodwill with someone just going to see a piece of entertainment.
I'm in the same boat as you, I really liked Detective Pikachu but it seems like kind of a hard sell if you're unfamiliar with Pokémon.

"Sonic is trapped in the real world" may be a cliched setup but it doesn't require audiences to know what Mobius is, who Tails and Knuckles are, etc. Like, your expected knowledge of the Sonic universe to understand the plot and the characters is basically zero. Sonic himself is a super marketable character detached from anything, and like you said, live-action Jim Carrey is a draw.

Speaking of, my mom told me she's going to see it on Saturday. She saw Carrey on Colbert and that sold her. I think people are way underestimating Carrey's appeal here, dude practically owned the 90s and this is the first time in a long time he's tapping into that same energy, it seems rather insulated to act like Ryan Reynolds voicing a Pikachu comes anywhere near that. Reynolds was a C-list actor until very recently, he was barely seen onscreen, and EVERYONE knows Jim Carrey. The only ones who wouldn't are kids, and they're not the ones paying for the tickets.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
A Hedgehog with a sword?! What could possibly go wrong with that!
You making a joke, but shadow can just make constructs out of energy. Its legit a power he has that is underutilized and it would genuinely be fun in that sort of game because he could just have dante style switching for free

I may have thought too hard about a sonic character action game. I may have an entire idea for a tails moveset where he uses his mech

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Tracking literally means nothing.

The tracking for Birds of Prey was miles off just one week ago.
First day of reported ticket sales will tell you everything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Sonic is looking to track $60 Mil in it's first weekend.
We'll see. I've been keeping an eye on the amateur trackers on BOT but what they do is compare the pre-sales of various movies for a local theater or handful of theaters. It's extrapolation. A $60M 4-day weekend would be great and would set Sonic on Pikachu's warpath, so I'd like them to be right but let's see what happens.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
The old design is starting to become another form of Sonic 06 in Sonic discussion. That wart that somebody just have to bring up every few minutes to remind people it existed.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I still wonder if the first pokemon movie having a talking pikachu was the right call. Also debuting during the endgame run probably hurt them. I thought that movie was pretty solid, Im shocked we havent heard of more live action Pokémon stuff being in production yet.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too fond of my crocs to risk them on this, but I think it could go either way and am excited to see what happens.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My plan is to get close to annihilated drunk and go see this with my two friends Sunday. Pretty sure nothing could go wrong. Pretty sure.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I still wonder if the first pokemon movie having a talking pikachu was the right call. Also debuting during the endgame run probably hurt them. I thought that movie was pretty solid, Im shocked we havent heard of more live action Pokémon stuff being in production yet.

It wasn't solid. They needed to spend more time on the story. It was a mess.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The old design is starting to become another form of Sonic 06 in Sonic discussion. That wart that somebody just have to bring up every few minutes to remind people it existed.
Unsatisfied with the Sonic movie not being a total disaster, gamers must constantly remember that the movie could have been a total disaster in order for the "Sonic is the worst thing ever made" running gag to endure.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Horrifying warts that never should have existed is literally what Sonic is all about. The occasional good game is just a weird anomaly.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Never underestimate the rabid Sonic fanbase. The first trailer that dropped had at least 20 million or more views. Partially because it was deemed to be a train wreck, but also because of general interest in a live action Sonic movie. That trailer was pulled from Paramounts channel, because it no longer represents the movie. There is another Youtube channel that has it with 24+ million views.

The second Sonic trailer with the redesign has 30+ million views as well. The thumbs up to thumbs down ratio is surprisingly good, with 981K thumbs up and 19K thumbs down. Detective Pikachu's second trailer has 483K thumbs up and 13K thumbs down, with 40+ million views.

The redesign clearly had a positive impact on the second Sonic trailer.I think Sonic has a good shot at beating Detective Pikachu at the boxoffice.