• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I already know there's a very high chance that I'll enjoy the movie just based on the amount of fan service that supposedly made the cut (but not knowing specifically what that fan service is due to me avoiding spoilers like the plague).

I feel like my own personal score will fall between 70%-80%, but the final Tomatometer score will settle around 55% because critics will be critics.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think the embargo lifts at like 1 in the morning the day of release so I think 30 is being generous
BOP had a late embargo and is sitting at a nice mid-80s on Rotten Tomatoes. Studios can be weird about it. Paramount probably has low expectations with regards to critical reception, which shouldn't matter for the kind of movie Sonic is.

EDIT:
Do not expect a good RT score for Sonic, but don't fret either.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie looks harmless and I don't think many are going into the Sonic the Hedgehog movie expecting high art. I think it'll do decently in terms of reviews.

But who knows.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOP had a late embargo and is sitting at a nice mid-80s on Rotten Tomatoes. Studios can be weird about it. Paramount probably has low expectations with regards to critical reception, which shouldn't matter for the kind of movie Sonic is.
It'd be more worrying if the review embargo was actually on the day of the movie premiering, or worse if there weren't press screenings.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Top critic score will probably be abysmal, like 20-30%. But the fan screenings generated positive reactions. Sonic the Hedgehog is a movie for the people, not the critics.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Top critic score will probably be abysmal, like 20-30%. But the fan screenings generated positive reactions. Sonic the Hedgehog is a movie for the people, not the critics.
That's what the Suicide Squad director would say after the reviews came in 😂

I somewhat agree though. Critics are a cranky bunch.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Don't click this if you're keeping away from spoilers because this is also a pretty huge one, but I wanted to speculate about it a bit:

So I finally got a good look at the tribal echidnas mentioned earlier, and... yeah, they're obviously setting up Knuckles.

kucu0kqb6bg41.jpg

Now, I don't have the full story, but it seems like these guys are the ones after Sonic's power? The Baby Sonic trailer showed them brandishing their weapons at him pretty menacingly. If so, I think this is going to lead into a big rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles in the sequel. If Sonic Adventure has taught us anything, it's that the echidna tribe will inevitably bring about their own destruction in their quest for power, which would give Knuckles a reason to hate Sonic for indirectly leading to that fate, and Sonic would obviously hate Knuckles for being forced into hiding for years by his tribe. Cue Sonic v Knuckles: Dawn of Justice. And who knows how Tails and Eggman would play into this!

Of course, I have no clue if any of this is going to turn out to be correct... but either way I'm hype for this movie.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't click this if you're keeping away from spoilers because this is also a pretty huge one, but I wanted to speculate about it a bit:

So I finally got a good look at the tribal echidnas mentioned earlier, and... yeah, but they're obviously setting up Knuckles.

kucu0kqb6bg41.jpg

Now, I don't have the full story, but it seems like these guys are the ones after Sonic's power? The Baby Sonic trailer showed them brandishing their weapons at him pretty menacingly. If so, I think this is going to lead into a big rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles in the sequel. If Sonic Adventure has taught us anything, it's that the echidna tribe will inevitably bring about their own destruction in their quest for power, which would give Knuckles a reason to hate Sonic for indirectly leading to that fate, and Sonic would obviously hate Knuckles for being forced into hiding for years by his tribe. Cue Sonic v Knuckles: Dawn of Justice. And who knows how Tails and Eggman would play into this!

Of course, I have no clue if any of this is going to turn out to be correct... but either way I'm hype for this movie.
Wow.

Holy crap I REALLY hope the movie does well now I need Perfect Chaos on the big screen.

Also can't wait to see what bullshit Penders spouts after this.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT:
Do not expect a good RT score for Sonic, but don't fret either.
Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker - 80/100

yeah ok

Oct 25, 2017

So I finally got a good look at the tribal echidnas mentioned earlier, and... yeah, they're obviously setting up Knuckles.

kucu0kqb6bg41.jpg

Wow.

Holy crap I REALLY hope the movie does well now I need Perfect Chaos on the big screen.

Also can't wait to see what bullshit Penders spouts after this.
Omg

Please everyone go and watch this movie, we need it to do well so we get this sequel.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, i think this isn't going to do well, let alone do well enough to unseat detective pikachu. those who believe otherwise are fools

that said, i know the deadline was on feb 5 but can i still join team sonic

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon it'll do quite well for itself. Ads everywhere in UK, trailers and TV ads are simple and digestible. This is one of those chill watches. I can't see it performing badly, personally. At least, for me everything is striking the right chord.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want this movie to get above an 80% on RT just for the reactions here. But realistically it'll probably get 60-70%.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I reckon it'll do quite well for itself. Ads everywhere in UK, trailers and TV ads are simple and digestible. This is one of those chill watches. I can't see it performing badly, personally. At least, for me everything is striking the right chord.

Honestly, how I have felt since seeing the last few redesign trailer. Crazy how much looks matter, presentation and aesthetics. Some of the humor actually worked for me in the trailers, some feels silly in a more awkward kind of why (corny). Regardless, I'm taking the gf and we're gonna be drunk off our asses at a late night showing--if its bad we will asleep right though it.

I will say, that trailer that dropped today has me more excited that they're laying down some nice bits of lore that could extend into setting up an encounter of S3&K proportions. I wanted to make a jab at Ken Penders but I'm just going to stop here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Be careful on YouTube.

There's some douchehole Sonictuber who gave the biggest spoiler of the movie in the title with screenshots.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Would prob make more money if it idk let me actually buy tickets. Can only buy for Feb 13,th no other days after that which is really annoying

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Speak of the devil as soon as i typed that they became available .

Got my 2 tickets hopefully that helps out those who bet on it winning

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
detective pikachu has a way higher score than it deserves on RT
maybe this will score okay

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I don't know why you guys got optimistic for high scores. Always believed in 30%.

The money is where we should be concerned about.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Where is all this talk of fanservice coming from? If it's just Sonic, Eggman, robots, and the post-credits scene, that just seems like the bare minimum to me.