• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I just read the whole review. The guy talks about Sonic endlessly monologuing about loneliness. Jim Carrey's Mugging the camera. The general jokes, as all the worst aspects of the movie.

The part he likes are Marsden's more mellow performance and the sympathy he has for Sonic.

So this tells me a lot of how critics will judge this movie going forward. It will be judged by critics tolerance for all the high energy and lack of subtlety. The jokes are the wild card.

The thing is, this actually makes me more hype about the movie, because nothing he's saying seems particularly bad about the plot from any logical or moral stand. Just seems to be based on pure tolerance levels.

For a film that gained notoriety well before its release for how wildly Sonic's original animation diverged from his well-established look, Sonic the Hedgehog does show a clear understanding of the source material and its essential nature.

Last edited:

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i predict so the so called " movie critics " will forget about re-design and instead complaining about the movies' bad writing

i will still be watching the movie cos of Jim Carrey , to me he will be a funny Mr Robotnik

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If this gets a higher RT score than 50% I'd be shocked. It looks terrible. I would have said that before the first review even came out. If I was a betting man I would say around 30%.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm gonna see it tomorrow. I have a subscription to my cinema, so there's no reason not to go check it out. That being said, ever since that first trailer I was expecting trash, so if it turns out to be fun actually.....all the better.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
What even is this site? Literally every review I scrolled though was terrible. From birds of prey to joker, they even shit on the latest video games.
Yeah, I'm scrolling through and it seems like they have an inclination against most mainstream films.

Which like. Most mainstream films are terrible, so I get it. Still if you were hoping for a fresh score from Sonic it probably wasn't going to come from Slant.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna say it'll be getting glowing reviews going forward but I always find it odd when some people start singing doom at just one review.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
i predict so the so called " movie critics " will forget about re-design and instead complaining about the movies' bad writing

i will still be watching the movie cos of Jim Carrey , to me he will be a funny Mr Robotnik

lmao why are movie critics in quotes? and why are you talking about critics not caring about the re-design and instead focusing on bad writing like it's a bad thing?

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Another one! Slate and CBR said "Fuck the review embargo."
Sonic the Hedgehog is a mess of a film, with a mishmash of tones that keeps the disparate elements from ever gelling. Despite the best efforts of a committed cast, including a truly bonkers Jim Carrey, the film never fully finds its footing
www.cbr.com

REVIEW: Sonic the Hedgehog Is Too Disjointed to Ever Pick Up Steam

Jumping from silly to melodramatic, and then back again, the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is a tonal mess.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Updated tracking info: https://www.thewrap.com/sonic-the-h...ox-office-win-but-will-it-launch-a-franchise/

"Sonic" will be the No. 1 film on this 4-day weekend as both Paramount and independent trackers are projecting an extended opening total in the low $40 million range. While that would be a decent start for this $95 million-budgeted CGI/live-action hybrid, Paramount is aiming much higher than decent, and the studio likely hopes for a theatrical run strong enough to merit a sequel.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think cleveland.com might have broken the embargo by mistake, because this pops up in Google search results but goes to a dead link

"Sonic the Hedgehog" started with a built-in base of video game fans, but turns out to be more than just an updated film reboot, adding laughter ...
Can't tell if it's a review or just an article talking about it, but in any case.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i bought tickets because fuck it why not lol. going to go see it tomorrow night. reserved seating and there were only 4 other people in the theater so far... ...... so far.

will probably wind up with 12-14. I'm genuinely curious though. Not expecting much outta the movie but hell its sonic so i'll give it a shot

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Let's gooooo
Fresh tracking metrics indicate a surge for Sonic as we near release, although reviews won't be available until early Thursday morning. At this stage, however, the film is approaching trends comparable to Detective Pikachu. Based on our latest models, the pic has a fair shot at climbing past Ghost Rider ($52 million four-day) to crack the top five Presidents Day weekends of all time.

Opening Weekend Ranges
  • Sonic the Hedgehog ($43 – 48 million three-day / $50 – 60 million four-day)

Weekend Box Office Forecast (Updated): Sonic the Hedgehog Tracking for Possible Breakout; Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island & The Photograph Aim to Leverage Double-Holiday Frame - Boxoffice

Hollywood is hoping for a major boost to the market with two major moviegoing holidays on deck this weekend: Valentine's Day on Friday, followed by Presidents Day on Monday.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Well I just got back from the movies and thought it was a great movie. Funny, good story and a great ending. Cannot wait for the inevitable sequel. Honest I think it will do well!