• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Someone is going to post pictures of them eating a cockroach, right?
EQp0Cb8VUAAVL0B

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Didn't Detective Pikachu end up as the highest-grossing video game film adaptation (worldwide) of all time? Does this movie have a chance of breaking that record?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Didn't Detective Pikachu end up as the highest-grossing video game film adaptation (worldwide) of all time? Does this movie have a chance of breaking that record?
It would need to do really well internationally, Pikachu grossed a little under $300m outside of the US.

Warcraft actually beat Pikachu overall by six million dollars. It grossed $439m ww.

What did detective Pikachu make it's first weekend

Pikachu's three-day opening weekend was $54m. Sonic is tracking for $46m over the three-day weekend, but it will also get a boost from President's Day. Over the four-day weekend it's tracking between $50m and $60m.

Sunny

Oct 25, 2017

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
It doesn't need to be fast, it just needs better legs than Pikachu, which tbh might not be that difficult considering what its competition is over the next couple of weekends

Exactly. Who was bold enough to launch their movie against, or nearly in the same few weeks, as the largest movie franchise of all time? I saw endgame like 4 times in the theaters, still made time to see pikachu, like twice... still a bad move on their part. Pokemon Company flew too close to the sun and got burned.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Not even planning to see the movie in the cinema but feel the need for a new avatar

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ready. I got 6 ticket for me and family. Saturday can't come soon enough

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I forgot it was presidents day weekend. How much does that normally influence box office? Do people go to the movies a ton during that holiday?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Just saw it. I thought it was alright. When I saw the trailer last year I thought this was going to be trash, like Mario Bros the movie. It really isn't. Some quite cool scenes, Sonic is nicely made and the dynamic between the dude and Sonic is cool too.

That being said, if I didn't have a sub to my cinema I wouldn't have paid for a ticket.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the cinema waiting for it to start so I'm hoping it's good.
I think it had a chance to beat it

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's still possible but Sonic's fate is dependent on legs. It will particularly help if Onward is a dud.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Dangit
deadline.com

‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Breaks Video Game Pic Opening Record With $70M & Reps 4th-Best Presidents’ Weekend Debut – Monday Update

Paramount's Sonic the Hedgehog will hit $70 million in its four days, making it the fourth-best Presidents' Day opening of all time.
The kids and I would be part of that $3 million...and there was only a single showing at my local AMC. I do not think most people knew about the preview showings though. I know I surprised a lot of people yesterday by commenting on that I'd just got back from it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's still possible but Sonic's fate is dependent on legs. It will particularly help if Onward is a dud.
Weren't people saying Pikachu performed more like a comic book movie in terms of legs? Sonic opening more in line with a children's movie (albeit a very successful one - HTTYD outgrossed Pikachu) could imply legs like one, which would give it a much better multiplier.

All I care about is that it does well enough for a sequel to get the green light. Looking good for that at this point, right?
If it hits $60m for the four-day weekend, I'd say it's almost guaranteed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Weren't people saying Pikachu performed more like a comic book movie in terms of legs? Sonic opening more in line with a children's movie (albeit a very successful one - HTTYD outgrossed Pikachu) could imply legs like one, which would give it a much better multiplier.
Yeah Pikachu was a family movie that performed like a CBM/blockbuster