• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The kids and I would be part of that $3 million...and there was only a single showing at my local AMC. I do not think most people knew about the preview showings though. I know I surprised a lot of people yesterday by commenting on that I'd just got back from it.
same here. i saw it last night but most of my friends had no idea there even were showings on thursday. Will be interesting to see how tonight fares!

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic defeating Pokemon is soooo good for the soul. First Detective Pikachu GETS NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO BEATING TOY STORY 4 and now this. Love to see it.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Detective pikachu was new concept that is unique to the Pokemon franchise. They executed the idea so well, and the movie was great. If they did a typical Pokemon trainer movie it would definitely gross more than detective pikachu.

The most important thing is detective pikachu sequel is possible with the amount of money it made.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I'm shocked that this thread is well on its way to surpassing the post count of the $1 billion Detective Pikachu avatar bet thread:

www.resetera.com

Detective Pikachu will not gross more than 1B worldwide. Who will make an avatar bet about that?

Detective Pikachu is being praised as the movie that finally kills the video game movie curse. The trailer has over 110M combined views on Youtube. Lots of people here are betting this movie will gross 1B worldwide. Y'all are wrong. So, who is ready to put their money where their mouth is...

I never saw this coming.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ignored this thread cause I never entertained the possibility of Sonic legitimately beating DP domestically but wow me and the Against folk are looking to be on pretty shaky ground right now.

Not that I'm upset about mind you, I'm just surprised at how well this movie seems to be resonating with audiences.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People underestimated these Sonic fans, no doubt they'll rewatch their film more than Star Wars fans

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We joke about people calling Pokemon a fad at any sign of waning popularity but if anything Sonic is the franchise that just seems to never die no matter what.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Wow, had no idea Sonic was going to do so well, or that the movie might actually be any good. But, even though it looks like I'm losing this bet, it's one I'm happy to lose. Gonna go watch Sonic with the kiddos!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this a good thing?

Haven't you noticed the past two years? Its a popular thing to hate on everything Pokemon on this forum.

Congrats for Sonic tho

Yea and the forum just loves Sonic right ? Even the smallest things get called out. You legit can't make a thread praising any aspect of the franchise without getting completely shat on or getting weird fan art posts. "Sonic was never good" ... etc.

Its good to see the underdog win for a change.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

get ready for that new avatar, pika pals

40f.png

Oct 28, 2017
Yea and the forum just loves Sonic right ? Even the smallest things get called out. You legit can't make a thread praising any aspect of the franchise without getting completely shat on or getting weird fan art posts. "Sonic was never good" ... etc.

Yep. Even the recent thread praising the soundtrack of Sonic is filled with people shitting on it. Like, music of the franchise should be the one universal thing everyone should agree is stellar across the board. Apparently not.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The constant state of dissing on Sonic has been pretty tiring. It's like people still think '06 is the gold standard for the series rather than a misstep, or pretend that their own favorite series doesn't have weird fans.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sonic defeating Pokemon is soooo good for the soul. First Detective Pikachu GETS NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO BEATING TOY STORY 4 and now this. Love to see it.

Shouldn't the proper thinking be "these two videogame movies are sucessful and that's kinda cool"? While I'm not a Sonic fan but a Pokemon one I don't quite get the rivalry some paint.

edit: seeing this being sucessful makes me feel sad for the laid off employees at that one studio working on the movie, fucking sucks

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

To be fair there are more negatives than positive with this franchise. I love Sonic and always have but the series is inconsistent af. Mania was awesome and then they come out with Forces???

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that has any experience with kids should have known that a Sonic movie would be successful.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Anyone that has any experience with kids should have known that a Sonic movie would be successful.

I am curious how big he is outside the US. Because my sister has 3 kids but none of them even know Sonic (which kinda makes me a bit sad), even when I grew up only my uncle had a console (forgot which one it was) I could play Sonic on. I am from Germany btw so maybe someone has actual numbers how big that IP here is. I genuinly dont know in which regions that IP really took off, my gut feeling is US and UK? Maybe I am wrong on that.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I am curious how big he is outside the US. Because my sister has 3 kids but none of them even know Sonic (which kinda makes me a bit sad), even when I grew up only my uncle had a console (forgot which one it was) I could play Sonic on. I am from Germany btw so maybe someone has actual numbers how big that IP here is. I genuinly dont know in which regions that IP really took off, my gut feeling is US and UK? Maybe I am wrong on that.
The Genesis was big in the US, UK , and South America

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Just an FYI, I've participated in several of these avatar bet threads (Endgame vs. Avatar, Godzilla KotM vs. Dark Phoenix, etc) and I've won each one.

Team sonic, you have nothing to fear. :P

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017

the popularity of Sonic with kids today has almost nothing to do with Sega. Its all YouTube, and Roblox. My son only started playing Sonic games after he was exposed to him through those. Roblox seems to be a solid indication of what's popular with a lot of kids currently.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair there are more negatives than positive with this franchise. I love Sonic and always have but the series is inconsistent af. Mania was awesome and then they come out with Forces???

ofc there is no denying the crap they keep shoving out. But You can't really talk about anything positive about this franchise here , even the good titles. You'll just get shut down because "bad games" exist.

Basically

The constant state of dissing on Sonic has been pretty tiring. It's like people still think '06 is the gold standard for the series rather than a misstep, or pretend that their own favorite series doesn't have weird fans.

This.

People will use 06 or some other bad title to dismiss anything positive about the franchise like the OST,Legit good games like the Genesis ones or other media like the comics or the boom tv show.
If something in the game is even a little difficult of challenging it will immediately be dismissed as "Bad" level design. While in other games they would just say "Git gud".

On the other hand Pokemon recently received criticism because of Sword and Shield. And its not even that bad , its not like people shit on Pokemon just for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Every millennial with kids is going to see this movie, and their kids probably watched Sonic Boom because kids watched the hell out of that cartoon, apparently, based on the few kids I know.

Shit, I'ma go see it, and I avoid theaters at this point in my life. I only went to see Knives Out and the Short Animated Oscar nominees last year, and I missed the shorts this year, so this'll probably be the only movie that I actually go see in theaters this year.

EDIT: Sonic as an IP also has a lot of genuinely great stuff (the Genesis trilogy, SatAM, Generations, the two kart games, most of the music from the games) and lots of other good stuff (the Advance games, Mania, Colors, etc.) and people who shit on it have questionable taste IMO.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yep
Kids like the characters and setting when its presented well, or heck even just decent. Its weird people talk about sonic character design, but honestly its character designs and how flexible they are and easy to draw is could be attributed to a lot of the popularity sonic as a brand has.

the popularity of Sonic with kids today has almost nothing to do with Sega.
I wouldn't say that.

Then again , shadow wasn't playable in a game since 06 untill two years ago and maintained his popularity and bunch of kids like him despite his and a bunch of other characters absences. Silver too. Fan content and stuff like roblox may have been doing some of sega's work or it for quite some time. But I can't say its soley attributed to that, sega releases a lot of other non game sonic stuff and that stuff has a lot of continued market penetration. Kids by toys of the cool hedgehog, they google the hedgehog, they learn about the hedgehog. And it feeds into the cycle. And there's stuff like the comic, or things like the films. Or things like well this

I don't think sega has been off the ball , its just that its been a lot more than just games. That isn't to say there isn't a problem. They may have driven off two sets of kids ( the former now adults ) trying to appeal to an increasing aging fanbase that just wanted a classic sonic game and only now realized they weren't actually buying anything else. And a lot of the people who made a bunch of cool stuff kinda...left so now they are kinda doing guesswork as to why who liked what. And that is uh, that's a very bad situation that needs fixing. But its marketing department is doing work

Last edited:

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Saw the movie, pretty sure the bet is lost at this point. Detective Pikachu was basically mainly adults whereas this was all kids. Can't believe I bet against my favorite mascot but it really didn't seem like it stood a chance, lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think we can extrapolate what the legs are gonna look like until we get the second weekend.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, like there is so much creepy stuff for Mario out there, but people just ignore it because the games have been so consistently rock solid. (Also sexual Mario fan art isn't inherently furry whereas Sonic... is, so there's that I suppose)

It's a fun series to be a fan of because even the horrible stuff usually has some entertainment value (whether it's ironic or just silver linings here and there). I know I'm not the only one to suggest I prefer the total trashfire that was Sonic 06 over something as joylessly mediocre as Forces, and even then there's almost always been something to enjoy about the franchise to compensate for its less desirable elements. 06 was sandwiched between the genuinely great Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure, Forces came out in the same year as Mania, Sonic Boom managed to redeem itself somewhat with the TV show and the okay Fire & Ice (which was even delayed for quality purposes), the movie did a total 180.

On a side note I've heard quite a few people say they now want to buy a Genesis mini specifically to play Sonic because of this movie. So that's just awesome.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

get ready for that new avatar, pika pals

I'll gladly accept if Sonic actually pulls it off. I said as much even in my post picking sides, I genuinely didn't think it would happen but didn't put it out of the realm of possibilities either. My kids love Sonic so in the next week or so we will absolutely be watching this.