• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The lack of China is really hurting the international sales of this, isn't it? I wonder if that would affect sequel development?
They're still planning on releasing it in China, they're just delaying it. Piracy could hurt it there, but domestic performance is strong enough and the circumstances are so crazy this year that I can't see it affecting any sequel plans.

variety.com

‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Release Delayed in China Due to Coronavirus

"Sonic the Hedgehog" won't be speeding into China, as Paramount Pictures has pulled the action-adventure from its Feb. 28 release.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Schlorgan I think this is your fourth avatar change in a month? Lol

I've been thinking about taking the "Nut Lord" avatar to celebrate my victory once Sonic wins.

Apr 21, 2018
The lack of China is really hurting the international sales of this, isn't it? I wonder if that would affect sequel development?
screenrant.com

The 10 Highest-Grossing Paramount Movies Of All Time (According To Box Office Mojo)

Paramount Pictures is responsible for some of the highest-grossing movies of all time, and here are the top ones according to Box Office Mojo.
Paramount is not in a good shape since 2010.
The studio struggles to find a bankable serie nowadays and Sonic is reaching Star trek 2009's results which is excellent for them right now.
We can say Sonic 2 is locked at this point.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Sonic is first at the box office this weekend? Invisible man could come in, but I'm not sure...

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
What are the chances Sonic is first at the box office this weekend? Invisible man could come in, but I'm not sure...
I'm not sure. Invisible Man is a pretty big horror IP, but I've heard next to no buzz for it until recently. Frankly I didnt know it existed until the other week, and I heard through the grape vine the original plan was that it was supposed to be apart of Universal's failed "Dark Universe"?

There's that, and that the movie likely wouldn't absorb much of Sonic's target demographic. Maybe parents wanting to see a horror movie on a night off, but still.

Idk. Worst case scenario I think Sonic gets 2nd place, though!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It's gotta pass Pikachu before it leaves theaters.
Yep, I'm curious how it places put compared to Pikachu. I think by week 2 Pikachu was a bit ahead of Sonic, no? I just looked up the week 2 box office sales and Detective Pikachu was at about $106 mil, while Sonic currently is about the same. Sonic doesnt have anywhere near the competition Pikachu had though, and with good WOM, so it's probably in good shape atm.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm curious how it places put compared to Pikachu. I think by week 2 Pikachu was a bit ahead of Sonic, no? I just looked up the week 2 box office sales and Detective Pikachu was at about $106 mil, while Sonic currently is about the same. Sonic doesnt have anywhere near the competition Pikachu had though, and with good WOM, so it's probably in good shape atm.
No it was behind. Check one of the many sales history charts in the thread to compare. Pikachu was around the mid 90M mark by the second week, so about a 10M difference domestically.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or do, just make sure you're on the winning side.
Hey I voted against Ash winning the Alola league after what would be two decades of straight Ls and lost my avatar a couple months for it.

Odds can be beaten, so does your avi. Pretty much why I didn't bet here lol. Who would've thought Sonic would beat fucking Pikachu?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
So the only way this doesn't beat Pikachu is if some other really cool family movie comes out and everyone forgets about the blue dude right?

Man, all those sonic avatars look terrible...
34b4c403bdef5c89aa9a5d509f36637da3825082_hq.jpg

This is the most acceptable.
Have mercy peeps

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Invisible will be 1 this weekend. Sonic could be either 2 or 3 depending on how well Call of the Wild holds up in its second week. Call is playing to older audiences than Sonic and may not drop as quickly as older crowds are in less of a rush to see movies on opening weekend.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
As I wrote in the Box Office thread, Sonic took kind of a nose dive the last couple of days (as expected anyways for weekday pulls in February)

Sonic had a $12 million cushion over Pikachu domestically to start (with the help of Presidents' Day holiday opening)

Its already lost $2 million of that, and will lose another $2 million next Monday (going up against Pikachu's Memorial Day Monday)

The question is, will it be able to build back up that cushion this weekend, and will it be able to hold onto it throughout March.

If it pulls in much more than $14 million this weekend, it can comfortably pass Pikachu in the end, if not...I still say Pikachu should have better legs in June than Sonic in March. But either way it will be close. Like under $10 million close.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Boxofficemojo literally has the direct domestic d2d comparison on the front page of their website. No need for anybody here to do guesswork
After 13 days
Sonic - $109.9mil
Pikachu - $101.2mil

Still has a small lead.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Boxofficemojo literally has the direct domestic d2d comparison on the front page of their website. No need for anybody here to do guesswork
After 13 days
Sonic - $109.9mil
Pikachu - $101.2mil

Still has a small lead.
Small lead, but that's neglecting the fact that Pikachu had stronger weekday sales due to it releasing over summer vacation, while Sonic has slightly weaker weekdays but bigger weekends by a respectable margin. At this rate Sonic will pass Pikachu soon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It will be a close finish. I expected it to be the other way around, though: a lower opening than Pikachu but stronger legs to get it just past Pikachu's domestic total.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sonic is going to restore its 10M-11M dollar lead over DP over the weekend.

Sonic'll pass it almost surely. Not by much domestically, maybe 8-10M, but yeah. It'll be over in three or four more weeks.