• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
The Shadow Knight
Oct 26, 2017
Well I can at the very least confirm that people are trying to get the beta Pokemon playable in regular old Johto.
Because I happen to be one of those people.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Erasaur that was a great write up. Felt like I was traveling the region with you. Thanks for that!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Continued from Post 1:

And now for my main pet project: attempting to make sense of the progression in the game with almost nothing to go off of.

To the best of my ability, I determined the route numbers using what was already set (Route 15 and 18), the general progression of the map, and an earlier version of that map (the Town Map). I've seen a few other attempts but they didn't check where the actual loadzones were ingame and were horribly inaccurate.

General Info:
- Gyms seem to be replaced with Leagues, which might mean that the Leaders were supposed to be Champions of the various regions and these areas weren't meant to just be towns or cities. To support this, there are two "Elite 4 (M or F)" trainer classes, and in every League there are exactly 4 trainers and the Leader.
- Leagues appear to be in the process of having their bottom floors removed and the room design was replaced with Old City's school. Old City and West, the most complete, lack the school bottom floor of the rest of them. There are also some Leagues where holes in the ceiling make no sense.

Silent Hill(s):
- Most of this is seen in the story mode. You live with your brother Ken and mother and your rival is some jerk next door. You meet up with the Gen 1 rival and Professor Oak who give you your starter.
- Rock to the right was probably an NPC that blocked you.
- The Pokemon Center edited specifically for this demo is one of the very few maps that survived into the final game, albeit missing one of the walls around the PC.

Route 1:
- Levels and Pokemon were changed for the demo.
- The forest entrance probably would have been changed to be more obvious.
- Quick access back to Silent Hill once you have Cut.

Silent Hills Forest:
- At first I believed this area was specifically made for the demo, but after looking at other aspects it does make sense to be here.
- Probably would have been cleaned up a bit as to not have so much wasted space.
- Possibly turned into Ilex Forest, or the idea of a forest to the south of Kyoto did.

Route 2:
- This route shares the exact same dimensions and design elements (gate at the top, cut tree on a side route, fences lining the main road, water...) as Route 35 in the final. It is very likely it was repurposed as such.

Old City:
- Lots of important buildings. Bill is in a house north of the Pokemon Center, Kurt is to the bottom left of the map, what is clearly an early Violet Gym is the League in the top right, and an early Sprout or Tin Tower and a museum with an egg in it are behind a Cut bush.
- The only area with a new palette. Every other city uses an unmodified palette from Gen 1 (unmodified meaning Red, Green, and Blue had slight variations to the town palettes).
- The only Pokemon Center where the trading and battling features work properly. Get your screaming Ditto evolutions here.
- Falkner/Hayato is the Leader, and despite having a generic bird on his shoulder, probably wasn't too different from how he ended up in the final.

Route 3:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 7-13
- The house on the route is important enough to have a sign, but the inside is corrupted (leading to me affectionately referring to it as the Gamer Shack). This may have been the place where you acquire HM01 in order to get into the tower and egg museum.

West:
- The area appears to be in the middle of a Team Rocket takeover. Several Rockets have invaded a home above the League, and JOPM is infested with them to the point that Giovanni himself is involved. This may have been an event that was supposed to take place later in the story or maybe as soon as you arrive, it's impossible to tell because the area does not have a Rocket-less state.
- JOPM (later the Radio Tower) is named similar to call signs in real life Japan. It may be that this region was literally going to be called Japan, making this the "Pokemon" station of the JFNA. "Geruge Members" might have something to do with this, as they're a reference to a popular radio show.
- This or High Tech may be the area where you acquire the Skateboard, for reasons I'll explain later.
- Bugsy/Tsukushi is the Leader and has a much different design, being a tall man in a suit. However, his League resembles the final with several trees surrounding him, so he was most likely still Bug type.

The next section took a lot of research. So on the Town Map, there would be a route to the north that led to a water route and did not connect to Birdon. This route was obviously cut and that particular path was removed. However, I believe that due to there being a very thin bridge with a Sailor on it to the left of the area, this was supposed to be a harbor and the next section would involve you traveling by boat between locations. Many things started to fit into place when I came to this conclusion:
- Traveling between three locations by boat around the 2nd and 3rd Gym was an idea later used in Ruby and Sapphire.
- There's no train to travel between areas yet.
- The final key to the puzzle came to me recently. So I was looking over the unused city maps left in the final game and noticed something odd. First of all, early Ecruteak and Goldenrod appear to line up in a very similar way to Old City and West

You might notice a strange gate to the left of Goldenrod that leads out onto the water.

And what's that to the bottom of early Olivine, which replaced High Tech? A gate, very similar to the one in nearly the same location in the final game which led to Olivine Harbor.
We'll never know for sure, but this seems to make the most sense. The route above of West is also waaaay too high leveled for this point in the game, while the route left of High Tech fits perfectly.

High Tech:
- Fishing Guru in the house to the far left.
- The aquarium is the building with the fish on it, has two floors.
- The rival's overworld sprite is programmed to appear here, but doesn't. Likely supposed to fight him here.
- Now this is very interesting. Imposter Professor Oak is in the house directly below the Mart just standing in the middle of the room. It's unknown what purpose he was supposed to play, but considering he was frequently featured with Team Rocket in the cards (and was James in the anime), he was probably up to no good. My current theory is that you would fight him in the aquarium, much like how you fight Team Aqua/Magma in the Oceanic Museum in Ruby and Sapphire.
- Whitney/Akane was likely the Leader and her design does not exist. She may have been the girl in the famous trailer for the first movie where a pink-haired girl, Gen 2 Misty (later, later...), and the blue-haired woman who doesn't do much in the final movie walk through a field. Considering Togepi and Snubbull seem to be added to this build specifically by the anime staff's request, they were definitely talking to each other at this point. Her gym layout resembles Jasmine's in the final game with a rocky hill at the back, but Jasmine herself makes sense in a later area. She would likely have kept the Normal typing.

Route 4:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 10-16
- The rocks or holes (perspective) on this route might have been related to the skateboard. I was accidentally able to get the incredibly glitchy skateboard to start jumping once and while this might just be the animation for it going over ledges, the Mach Bike in Ruby and Sapphire had a similar ability to move fast over holes. Noticing a lot of reused ideas from this yet?

South, Routes 5-9 Part 1:
Even with the skateboard, you will not be able to get past the water on Route 5 without Surf, so I believe that area comes later and you are supposed to take the boat up to Font. The routes themselves are all massively unfinished and the grass on Route 6 gives water encounters, so I will avoid talking about them for now.

Font:
- I'm sure we in this thread aaaaaall know what this place is actually based on by now and we don't have to get into that again.
- Team Rocket house in the top corner. So this place is interesting for a few reasons. The poster on the wall has some strange collision which might mean it was like the Game Corner poster. The three Rocket Hideout maps in this build have an odd design choice in that the first and second maps have entrance mats, which makes me believe the first Rocket Hideout map was connected to this building and the other two were connected to a later building.
- Ruins cannot be entered, but have two interior maps. Obviously the place you encounter Unown, but it's... unknown how you traverse between the two. It might have been related to one of the minigames, most likely the slide puzzle.

Route 10:
- This route has grass encounter data but doesn't have grass. Performing the tileset transfer glitch allows you to find them while surfing. Wild Pokemon Levels 14-20.

Route 11:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 15-21.
- This route is unfinished and doesn't line up properly with Route 10. It was still being built at this time in development.

Birdon:
- What appears to be a pharmacy is in the lower left. This might have been an much earlier version of the Ampharos Lighthouse quest, but there's not enough left. Interestingly, the one unused town that does not match up with a location in the final game is what later turned into Cianwood (somehow), but there's also unused text for that event happening in Ecruteak instead, so who knows.

- Considering the surrounding area includes a massive 50x9 route and another route with Ditto on it, this may have been a location where the Daycare would end up existing. The house next to the League would make the most sense, but the outdoors NPC when fixed (currently uses the player sprite) becomes a little girl, not the old man.
- For the first unused leader, we have what I believe is Okera. This League layout later inspired Clair's Gym's second floor, but I believe the puzzle was different and involved the Skateboard instead much like Route 4 (it was mentioned in Corocoro that the skateboard was intended to work indoors, as it does here). The name Okera is related to mole crickets which in turn is part of the name of the yokai Shōkera, leading me to believe that Okera was a Dark type Leader.

Route 12:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 17-23
- This route's dimensions line up with Route 34 in the final and also has Ditto as a wild Pokemon

- Either an optional route or one that would fast-track you back to West to handle the Rocket takeover.

Route 13:
- This route has grass encounter data but no grass. There is no way to encounter them ingame. Wild Pokemon Levels 19-25
- Likely would have had Bikers and Sportsman trainers, it's a huge route and even the Pokemon on it are movement-based (Donphan and Sandshrew).

Route 14:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 21-27.

Route 15:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 22-28
- One of two named Routes.
- Entrance mats were probably going to be a forest, but no such forest exists in this build. I had believed that this is where the demo forest was supposed to be, but it became clear that the early game would happen way too quickly without it.

New Type:
- This area greatly resembles Canalave City in Diamond and Pearl.
- The rival's overworld sprite is camping right at the entrance, much like how he ambushes you in Olivine in the final game. He was probably going to be battled here for the third time.
- A Fighting Dojo is below the League, which means a Fighting Leader was probably not planned for this game. Likely location of Gong.
- Restaurant in the lower left. Considering you acquire an HM there in the final, there would probably be one here as well.
- The mud in the lower right doesn't work properly, but if it did it would probably allow you to pass regardless of HMs or items and probably worked similar to its Gen 4 appearance.
- Despite using a generic male sprite for the Leader, it was most likely Jasmine/Mikan who used the Steel type and probably the Pokemon Ikari. The League is several pillars sticking out of the water.
So a little backstory here for this. This area, the route above it, and Sugar are pretty clearly what turned into Mahogany and the early Lake of Rage with a town and Gym. To add onto this, the debug menus left in Crystal refer to イカリのみずうみ instead of the actual spelling, いかりのみずうみ, which you might recognize as the name of the unused shark Pokemon イカリ/Ikari.

"Ikari" itself is a word that can be read in two ways, anger or anchor, with the latter working well with the harbor/canal theme of New Type itself. Therefore, it is possible to deduce that the Red Gyarados wasn't originally there and the lake was filled with Ikari, and Jasmine was the Gym Leader there still who also used one, which means she probably used one here as well.
Being able to guess that one of the Pokemon in the demo was named Ikari was what helped get me onto Team Spaceworld in the first place, so it's nice to finally solve the mystery that started it all for me.

Route 16:
- It's blocked by whirlpools and water, so you would probably have those HMs by this point.
- This water set has Ikari instead of Haneei, may I direct you to a minute ago when I blabbered on for a while?

Sugar:
- Kind of a mysterious place. The cave doesn't connect to anything so who knows what it actually was.
- The corrupted house in this area has the same dimensions as the school and lower floor of the League, so whatever it actually was, it probably was what the League lower floors originally looked like and it wasn't updated properly.
- I believe this is where you get Fly.

So here I believe a split path occurs, much like in the final game after Ecruteak. You can either trudge on east to Route 17 or fly back to Silent Hill to go take on Kanto. The wild Pokemon levels reflect this, and they reach their highest point around the area named Stand. For this guide, we will be alternating between the paths until we end up with Stand.

Route 17:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 27-34
- This route has some issues where ledges will drop you on trees. Probably would have been fixed.

Route 18:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 27-36
- The second of the two named routes.
- This route also requires edits to the ledges which can do the same thing.
- Interestingly, this route shares dimensions and appearance with Route 45. They're both a vertical, rocky road with a cave towards the north side. This cave was a likely predecessor for Dark Cave.

Route 19:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 29-37
- Island house might have been the second iteration of a celebrity in hiding or else some unknown character who did a thing.
- This route's tileset is shared with Blue Forest and the rest of the wintery routes, which causes an error on the corner of the land. It incorrectly displays one of the pieces of the "fence" rocks on water routes instead of a corner, so this probably means it wasn't finalized yet. What's funny is this error appears in one of the screenshots that was available online for years and I was the first to notice it when studying the map after the build leaked.
1997_GS_Surfing.png

Blue Forest:
- Agatha has apparently retired in the year since RGB and lives in the house closest to the cave. She or that cave might have had something to do with Norowara, and may have even been related to the Leader in this area.
- There are several rocks/holes (perspective) in this area, but as I mentioned this tileset is weird and those probably would have been swapped out for ice or some-such as they don't really fit or serve a purpose here.
- The Leader, despite having a generic girl overworld sprite, was definitely "Enoki" or as he would later become known, Morty/Matsuba. We had known about this name from a tweet made by Sugimori where he showed off the original artwork for the Gym Leader headshots in which Morty was labeled "Enoki". The League is a small room with headstones, meaning he was definitely still Ghost type.

Route 21:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 31-40. This is the highest in the game.
- This route is similar to Route 22 as they both feature strange patterns and are exactly the same length, which further lends to the theory that everything is leading up to Stand.

Route 24:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 27-35
- This route has the same dimensions as both Route 42 and 44, but it's fairly generic and was probably unrelated.
- Seen in the footage given to media where Blastoise fought Meowth. It's unknown if this area was originally planned to be included with the demo or not.
- The grass on the right side of this route weirdly lines up with Route 22 from Generation 1. Considering it leads directly to where Viridian City would be in Kanto, this might be intentional.

Kanto:
- Oh dear god what were they thinking. This map is a mess and barely even resembles what it's supposed to. It was a neat idea but it could have been done so much better... you think I would say that and not supply an example I made myself?

Had to create a new town around Route 14 buuut this was well worth the 5 days it took to place the tiles.
- Red and the Rival's houses are weirdly swapped, not sure why.
- I normally don't mention the generic houses, but I think it's neat that the three of them each feature one male and one female NPC at various stages of life (children, middle-aged, elderly).
- Final floors of the department store are glitched in hilarious ways, see for yourself sometime.
- The game director is mysteriously absent from the Game Freak floor of Celadon Condominiums. Take that to mean what you will.
- Eevee would have probably still been on the top floor.
- The Game Corner and its prize house are below Silph Co.
- Silph Co. has its full bottom floor instead of the reduced version in the final game.
- The hotel with the invisible PC from Celadon is here as well, southeast from the prize house.
- There's a mysterious office building next to the prize house.
- The Pokemon Center you fly to is the one on the right.
- There's another Fishing Guru here where he should be, towards the ocean which is... probably Kanto Route 19? Maybe?
- There is a school to the north of the Fly Pokemon Center.
- Pokemon Tower appears as a landmark but isn't used.
- The building to the left of Pokemon Tower was thought to be the Underground Path, but it makes more sense as the entrance to the Power Plant maps (I know, I know where it should be, it's okay, they made a weird map). This might be the location where you encounter Rai.
- And finally the League situation. Besides Gama (who we'll meet in a bit), the only name left that would fit here is Blue. Blue would not be the Gen 1 Rival here, before anyone asks. He's Green in Japan. So...
--Speculation Begins--

--Speculation Ends--
...who actually knows.

Route 23:
- This route has grass encounter data but no grass. There is no way to encounter them ingame. Wild Pokemon Levels 27-36.

Route 22:
- Wild Pokemon Levels 28-37.
- Considering this route has Pokemon like Rhyhorn, Skarmory, and Cubone, I believe it would fit better as a mountainous route.

Stand:
- This area features several outdoor pens like Fuchsia did in the past, therefore making it pretty obvious that there was either a Safari Zone or an earlier National Park behind the west gate that goes nowhere.
- Another note, in the final game there's a dummied-out (-1% encounter rate) entry for a level 41 Venomoth at the end of the Bug Catching Contest. Level 41 would be right around the level of this area. Just interesting, nothing concrete.
- Directly across from the west gate is a house that contains a different nurse sprite at a desk that has a Time Capsule machine behind it. There are probably more theories for what this thing was than anything else, from being an earlier way to trade with Gen 1 they hadn't yet taken out, to an event distribution area, to a prize corner for whatever was past the gate, and even possibly being where and how you got or hatched eggs in this version of the game. Despite nobody knowing what the hell it could be it somehow survived into the final game, making all of this even worse.
- There is a semi-corrupted building south of the mystery house that resembles the Kanto Radio Tower in the final game
- Giovanni's sprite is programmed to appear here, but doesn't.
- To go along with that, the building with eight windows hidden in the trees is the second and final Rocket House in the game and it has two levels. This is most likely where the other two hideout maps were connected to, probably leading to a final confrontation with Giovanni himself at the table. He probably wasn't happy to lose to two ten year olds in the span of two years.
- The only League leader left is Gama and I had to dig for this name's origins. Gama refers to cat-tail reeds, which at first I thought was a reference to Tauros making Gama a Normal Leader, but that made no sense as Whitney was already in this build.
So I did some research into any mythological connections those reeds have and wouldn't you know? They're part of the genus Typha, named after Typhon, the sea-serpent monster from Greek Mythology. This is also the origin of the word "Typhoon", and you can probably see where I'm going with this. What better person to use the newly introduced Water/Dragon type who knows Twister than the last Leader?
There's a person wearing a cape in the overworld sprites that was unique enough to be used for a Leader, and considering Clair, Lance, and the Dragon Tamers all wear capes, this person is probably a Dragon user. To support this even further, the highest level wild Pokemon in the game is directly north of Stand and is a level 40 Warwolf, an Ice type, which would be a perfect Pokemon to catch for this.
So Gama was an early Clair and probably had a very similar team. The League building is a copy of Kanto's non-Red League so it definitely wasn't finished, and considering Okera's gym was reused for Clair in the final game, it probably never was.

Now, there's only three areas left, and one of them is obviously the endgame. I believe these two areas are optional and were added quite late as their routes are unbelievably unfinished and unremarkable so I won't be covering those.

South:
- This area and Fallarbor Town in Ruby and Sapphire are the same real-life location in Japan, and the mountains featured here are more than likely the same place that inspired both Mt. Chimney and Meteor Falls.
- The rival is coded to appear here, but doesn't. Whenever you were supposed to backtrack and visit South, you would probably fight for the 3rd or 4th time here.
- The cave is likely where you would encounter En.

North:
- This area greatly resembles Snowpoint City in Diamond and Pearl and is close to where Canalave or Twinleaf are in real Japan.
- The rival is yet again coded to appear here, so this is most likely the area where you fight him either for the last time (like Ruby and Sapphire) or for the 5th time.
- The cave is likely where you would encounter Sui.

And now for the endgame. Unfortunately this area is not complete in the slightest and seems to be in the middle of a layout reconstruction (judging by the town map denoting Prince as a cave and Mt Fuji as a town). Bear with me.

Prince Route:
- It's unknown what this route was truly supposed to look like. The copy of this map (Mt Fuji route) features fences so they might have been here as well instead of the giant mountain. If that's the case, there was likely a gate that would have a badge check in it. If not and the mountain was supposed to be here, it's likely that this was Victory Road with a badge check at the front entrance. If so, this would also probably be where you fight the rival for the last time like in the final game.

Prince:
- None of the buildings work, so who knows what was supposed to be here.
- Professor Oak is coded to appear here but doesn't.
- The big building was most likely the final boss area (I can't exactly call it the Pokemon League considering there's 8 of those in this game) where you would fight, at the very least, Bruno, Lorelei, and Lance. As for who else was there (Misty, Giovanni), who knows. I do have a pretty good feeling about Oak being the final boss, however. His index slot has changed from Gen 1's position, as has his trainer class. It's possible that he was yet again cut from the game.
- Has a waterfall that leads up the mountain, meaning that HM was planned already.

Mt Fuji and Its Route:
- Both maps are earlier copies of Prince Route and Mt Fuji, so it's unknown if they were even planned to look like this.
- Interestingly, you can fit the dimensions of the unused Mt Silver map here without overlapping New Type.

- It's very possible they just weren't done.
- This is the most likely location of Ho-Oh, as it would be post-game.

Phew. Hopefully all that makes up for the fact that translation patch isn't out yet. I'm sure I'll be editing this post tomorrow because I probably made a mistake or five somewhere along the line.
This is amazing thank you for sharing!

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
The Shadow Knight
Oct 26, 2017