• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Voodoo doll Pokémon? The psycho Marill? That weird Lugia? Some odd and some terrible designs ha!

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
And next to Scizor.. a Pinsir evolution!

VCbV6Xe.png
Wait, this isn't just an early version of Heracross?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait holy shit. Originallly it wasn't Johto, the games were the entirety of Japan as one region, the region map is highly deformed but accurate in shape Japan. Including what should be the league situated on irl Hokkaido, thr hand bit not present in Sinnoh. That region map is wild, all the cities are huge, and there is a pyramid city in the west.

The entire country as the region is not something we saw until Gen y, with Kalos as almost the entire countty of France. I am having a major freak out right now. These games would have been way different.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing, so many cool scrapped designs that haven't come back later on for some reason. Thank god we were spared from babypocalypse too, good call GF.

Would love to take a look at the demo myself...

By the way I need this guy like yesterday
FdM09hz.png

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
People are saying the thing after Houndoom looks like early Swinub/Snover, which is likely since it's Ice. But Larvesta from Gen 5 looks incredibly similar to it.

Also, man, that world map is almost unrecognizable.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Umbreon was a Poison type and Eevee evolved with a Poison Stone or a Heart Stone into Espeon
This is some really interesting stuff.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
People are saying the thing after Houndoom looks like early Swinub/Snover, which is likely since it's Ice. But Larvesta from Gen 5 looks incredibly similar to it.

Also, man, that world map is almost unrecognizable.
The world map is the entirety of Japan, just deformed. Like I am pretty sure they had plans of retconning Kanto into one city, and that city in the bottom right corner is Saffron.

All those babies and alt evolutions. There's even a baby Growlithe. BABY FIRE PUPPER.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Damn there's some cool stuff in here. Sucks that some 'paired' gen 1 Pokemon had evolutions here that didn't make the cut (Gloom/Weepinbell, Scyther/Pinsir).

Also cool how some concepts were revisited later with Mime Jr and Lickylicky.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This is incredible! I was reading through the prerelease article on TCRF the other day and lamenting that we would never know what it was originally like...now suddenly we have the fucking demo lol

Also I had long suspected Old City was Violet City, not Ecruteak as a lot of people though. Good to see confirmation of that.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this is amazing. this was so awesome to come across such stuff in the 2000s. since 2010s it got lesser and lesser...

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
- Remoraid is much more pistol-like in this iteration. It makes his evolution into Octillery make more sense. I also like Octillery's helmet.

- The legendary beasts were originally legendary dogs, just like I called them as a kid.

- The voodoo doll and Chinese zombie/ghoul are great.

- Last Pokemon looks like an early Shaymin.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is the goddamned holy grail. Holy shit.
Seriously. There are so mant beta Pokemon, Pokemon that existed later on as designs got scrapped, the entirety of Japan is ONE region, Kanto is a giant city you can even see Pallet Town within it, its all just so crazy to witness. I want this game more than what we got ffs, its just so varied.

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just checked some of the designs:
it appears to me that the pokemon company apparently "americanized" the designs, or atleast adjusted it to the TV show.
if you look at jigglypuff, it has the same "changes" as kirby from japan to american design. a friendly look to a gnarly smirk.
IIRC silver/gold was released in 2000 in the west, right?
red/blue was released in 99, i bought it day one back then and was so proud...
silver/gold were also 10DM(germany here) more expensive than any other gameboy game back in the day...

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely incredible, the fact that this demo was somehow in someone's possession after all these years and now we can all witness its contents is blowing my mind. Never thought this would happen.

Wow. So those legendary 'beta starters' people reported seeing were really real. Incredible.
Alpha_honouguma.png
Alpha_kurusu.png

The whole sprite sheet is amazing to look at really.
Holy crap, this changes everything!

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Oh man. This is huge! I remember reading the recap of the Spaceworld demo a few months ago. I can't wait to tuck into this info later today.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Seriously. There are so mant beta Pokemon, Pokemon that existed later on as designs got scrapped, the entirety of Japan is ONE region, Kanto is a giant city you can even see Pallet Town within it, its all just so crazy to witness. I want this game more than what we got ffs, its just so varied.

It's so weird when you take the story about Iwata allowing them to add Kanto into account. In 1997 it was Japan with mini-Kanto in it, in 1999 it was Johto and Kanto, and at some point before Iwata came aboard, it was possibly just Johto.

The region also has so few traces of Johto to it. The leftmost city being a beach probably evolved into Cianwood City, there's a city that's clearly early Ecruteak, there's whirlpools (but not nearly in the same places), and the city to the left of Ecruteak has a large shop, radio tower, and gym like Goldenrod has. But besides that, it's almost completely unrecognizable.

Joyful

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Cyndaquil was just a fiery pikachu at one point?
Looks cooler to me tbh

Some of these designs need a comeback

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I never imagined this would be found and leaked (much like Sonic 1's early prototype) and I especially wasn't expecting so much to be different - this is bigger than the Sonic 2 beta was back in the day, it turns what we know about the Pokemon franchise upside down.