• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So Cyndaquil was just a fiery pikachu at one point?
Looks cooler to me tbh
Don't you dare

Cyndaquil is the cutest
Fswn.gif

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So most of the cut pokemon were just evolutions or baby pokemon:

Ballerine (Mime Jr.)
Chiks (Baby Doduo)
Golppy (Baby Goldeen)
Grimey (Baby Grimer)
Meowsy (Baby Meowth)
Minicorn (Baby Ponyta)
Para (Baby Paras)
Puddi (Baby Growlithe)
Tangel (Baby Tangela)
Trifox (Baby Vulpix)
Twinz (Baby Girafarig)

Gelanla (Tangrowth)
Leafeo (Leafeon)
Likk (Lickylicky)
Animon (Ditto evolution)
Belmitt (Weepibell evolution)
Madame (Farfetch'd evolution)
Numpuff (Qwilfish evolution)
Plux (Pinsir evolution)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It's so weird when you take the story about Iwata allowing them to add Kanto into account. In 1997 it was Japan with mini-Kanto in it, in 1999 it was Johto and Kanto, and at some point before Iwata came aboard, it was possibly just Johto.

The region also has so few traces of Johto to it. The leftmost city being a beach probably evolved into Cianwood City, there's a city that's clearly early Ecruteak, there's whirlpools (but not nearly in the same places), and the city to the left of Ecruteak has a large shop, radio tower, and gym like Goldenrod has. But besides that, it's almost completely unrecognizable.
There are no traces of Johto in it because Johto itself only inspires like 2-3 cities in this region. You have proto Hoenn in there, those pyramids in the west, and even proto Sinnoh, with Canalave and Snowpoint City in the north. That's right, fucking Hoenn and sinnoh would not have come after gen 2 they would have completed Pokemon Japan 10 years early.

OMFG Pokemon Picross was actually going to be a minigame in these hypothetical Gold and Silver, I can't. I FUCKING CANT SOMEONE HOLD ME.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
What month was Spaceworld in because this demo is strangely lacking other betamons and tyranataur seen here which was published in April 1997:

MicroGroup_Game_Review_Volume_14.jpg

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there any way to play it ? I mean, is the rom available or has yet to be uploaded ?
Yeah it's on the TCRF page. You have to change a few bytes to get it to run though.

It's a bit weird and annoying to play. Invisible warp points, and pokemon encounters have no step limit so you'll keep encountering pokemon after pokemon on the same tile of grass.

Nov 1, 2017
I liked the proto Octillery better than what we got. Looks way more like a tank. Shark anchor is cool I hope they revisit the idea.

What's going on with Chikorita's evo lol

Edit: Oh my gosh is that a baby Goldeen? So precious. <3

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait. Green was going to be the professor of the games. Red was going to be the 7th Gym Leader. The E4 was Lorelei, Bruno, Misty, and Giovanni. You read that right. Elite Four Giovanni. Daaaamn. Following Pokemon was also going to be a fully fledged feature apparently. I love GSC, but good fucking lord you guys imagine this as the final product.

-Japan Region. Kanto is a giant city inside a huge region.
-Picross, Following Pokemon, a Mine Cart Dungeon, and some sort of card game are some of the gameplay features.
-The gym roster is Falkner, Whitney, Bugsy, Jasmine, Red, and 3 new Gym Leaders.
-E4 has Misty and Giovanni instead of Will and Karen.
-The Pokedex has all new Pokemon and Legendaries, while also focusing on a huge swathe of new pre-evolutions and evolutions. Most of the evos are not by trade or friendship, but instead just simple hold or stone evos.
-Professor Oak JR, aka Green.

And this is all from an early non finalized version. Just imagine what they could have accomplished if this was the final product.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
OMG I'm so excited. I haven't been this excited in years. I'm more hyped about this than Let's Go and 8G.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Wait. Green was going to be the professor of the games. Red was going to be the 7th Gym Leader. The E4 was Lorelei, Bruno, Misty, and Giovanni. You read that right. Elite Four Giovanni. Daaaamn. Following Pokemon was also going to be a fully fledged feature apparently. I love GSC, but good fucking lord you guys imagine this as the final product.

-Picross, Following Pokemon, a Mine Cart Dungeon, and some sort of card game are some of the gameplay features.
-The gym roster is Falkner, Whitney, Bugsy, Jasmine, Red, and 3 new Gym Leaders.
-The Pokedex has all new Pokemon and Legendaries, while also focusing on a huge swathe of new pre-evolutions and evolutions. Most of the evos are not by trade or friendship, but instead just simple hold or stone evos.

And this is all from an early non finalized version. Just imagine what they could have accomplished if this was the final product.
It all sounds so good. GSC are still my favourite in the series but a lot of the stuff here really could have made them even better!

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing.

I've wanted for years an artbook or something with prototype and unused Pokémon designs, to suddenly see so many of them at one is like Christmas. The wave fanart is going to be fantastic.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is monumental. I don't think we have ever seen a glimpse into the Pokémon creative process as robust as this. The most incredible thing are all the abandoned Pokémon concepts related to existing beasts. A Pokémon based on Slowbro's tail, an evolution of Pinsir to parallel Scizor, some sort of alternative Bellsprout evolution, an early version of Lickilicky - a Pokémon we wouldn't see for two more generations, a cut evolution for Quilfish...

This is so freaking cool. This sort of insight is the culmination of 20 years of rumors and schoolyard myths. How surreal.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the people involved with documenting it before it was public knowledge. I'll have my original planned-as-OT post up in a moment while I figure out what just happened.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

That gym layout is pretty interesting. Red as a gym leader is great.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The demo seems to play exactly as described all those years ago. You start in Silent Hills, go west into a forest maze area, leave through the northwest onto the route with the gatehouse (seen in prerelease screenshots) where your rival talks to you and the demo ends.

All battles use the RBY gym leader music. Silent Hills uses the Viridian City music. The routes and forest use Route 1 music.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
Yeah it's on the TCRF page. You have to change a few bytes to get it to run though.

It's a bit weird and annoying to play. Invisible warp points, and pokemon encounters have no step limit so you'll keep encountering pokemon after pokemon on the same tile of grass.

I see, but what exactly is TCRF ? I'm new to ResetERA so I don't know much about all of this, sorry for asking :/

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome stuff!! Can't wait to dive in and look more into this.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

Imo, I think the change in direction was probably for the best given the system it was on. They struggled to fit both Kanto and Johto onto one cartridge. If they followed through on making the game encompass all of Japan, it wouldn't have been much bigger than the map here, which is about the same size as the original Kanto.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

It would be really amazing to play the final version of such a game---nevertheless, we must keep in mind that GF was throwing a lot of ideas because Pokémon was becoming so huge that they perhaps felt the pressure (and also they scrapped a lot of ideas from previous games too) without probably realizing that such a big game wouldn't have fit in the GB cartsize.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this is potentially the Gen II Pokédex, as it existed here. New Pokémon in bold, existing Pokémon with altered designs in italics.

152. Leef (Grass Starter, beta Chikorita)
153. Blossomole (Grass Starter evo, just a flower)
154. Blossomite (Grass Starter final evo, beta Meganium)

155. Flambear (Fire Starter, fire bear)
156. Volbear (Fire Starter evo)
157. Dynabear (Fire Starter final evo)

158. Cruz (Water Starter, seal)
159. Aqua (Water Starter evo)
160. Aquaria (Water Starter final evo)

161. Hoothoot
162. Hoohoo (beta Noctowl)

163. Baaspark (beta Mareep)
164. Flaaffy
165. Ampharos

166. Trifox (baby Vulpix)

167. Tangel (baby Tangela)
168. Gelania (Tangela evo)

169. Rayleep (beta Mantine)

170. Babul (beta Qwilfish)
171. Numpuff (Qwilfish evo)

172. Pichu (just a head!)

173. Cleffa

174. Igglybuff

175. Lanceffish (
beta Quagsire- no Wooper)

176. Natu
177. Xatu

178. Golppy (baby Goldeen)

179. Marill (no Azumarill)

180. Sunmola1
181. Anchorage
182. Grotess

183. Ecksing (beta Crobat)

184. Para (baby Paras)

185. Spidette (beta Spinarak)
186. Tuhedd (beta Ariados)

187. Armorawk (beta Skarmory)

188. Animon (Ditto evo)

189. Chiks (baby Doduo)

190. Sunnee (beta Sunflora- no Sunkern)

191. Trunpet (beta Phanpy)
192. Donphan

193. Twins (baby Girafarig)
194. Girafarig

195. Paintern (beta Smeargle)

196. Meowsy (baby Meowth)

197. Rinring (dark cat)
198. Bellboyant

199. Politoed

200. Slowking

201. Unown

202. Ledyba
203. Tripstar (beta Ledian... potentially. No evo data from Ledyba exists- could be an alternate, Volbeat/Illumise-style)

204. Minicorn (baby Ponyta)

205. Espeon
206. Umbreon
(Poison-type, not Dark)

207. Turbann (Slowbro's shell, but isn't connected to either the Slowpoke or Shellder lines)

208. Grimey (baby Grimer, the absolute cutest)

209. Remoraid (more gun-like)
210. Octillery (more tank-like)

211. Gohng (beta Tyrogue)
212. Hitmontop

213. Puddi (baby Growlithe)

214. Feathemew (beta Hoppip)
215. Dandemew (beta Skiploom)
216. Cottomew (beta Jumpluff)

217. Ballerine (baby Mr. Mime)

218. Lipp (beta Smoochum)

219. Elebabee (beta Elekid, also the cutest)

220. Magby

221. Bellossom

222. Belmitt (Weepinbel evo)

223. Miltank

224. Bomseaker (water/fire seal)

225. Ghift (beta Delibird- much more like Santa)

226. Tigrette (electric tiger)
227. Electiger

228. Madame
(Farfetch'd evo)

229. Kurstraw (ghost voodoo doll, evolves at level 1 (???))
230. Pangshi

231. Murkrow (more witchy)

232. Happi (beta Blissey)

233. Scizors (beta Scizor)

234. Plux (Pinsir evo)

235. Devull (beta Houndour)
236. Houndoom

237. Wolfman (ice werewolf)
238. Werwolf

239. Porygon2 (COMPLETELY different design- apparently references the mascot of a donut chain?)

240. Likk (Licktung Evo)

241. Steelix

242. Kingdra

243. Rai (beta Raikou)

244. En (beta Entei)

245. Sui (beta Suicune)

246. Sneasel

247. Ho-oh (only Flying)

248. Togepi (no evo)

249. Snubbull (no evo, female only)

250. Tael (beta Aipom)

251. Leafeo (Eevee evo- Grass)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Tangela got a raw deal. Two cool forms scrapped and then ended up with Tangrowth.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Wow, lot of talk around that demo lately but to see it released, this is unprecedented.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So many cool unused designs. Wtf at Bayleef looking like a Parasyte

Also Qwilfish needs that evolution!!!