• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the big announcement from Google yesterday I was really interested in trying some of the current streaming tech out there right now and fired up PS Now and started the Free 7 day trial.

And I have to say I'm actually pretty impressed by it. I played King of Fighters XIII, Virtua Fighter 5 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma all games that require fast input reading and reacting and the stream really held up well. I've played Ninja Gaiden Sigma dozens of times and honestly It felt pretty much like playing offline.

This has honestly only fueled my interest in Stadia as Google has way more resources than Sony does to pull a streaming gaming infrastructure off. The future tech of games seems super exciting to me. As long as pricing is right I'll 100% play DOOM Eternal on Stadia.

Anyone else find the tech behind PS Now interesting?

(P.S God do we need a new Virtua Fighter game. :( )

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Good to hear at least some people are enjoying P Snow they have improved a lot but still need works in the infrastructure. They where the first to try the service, thinking maybe that the service would be very niche.

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Digital Foundry do a test with Stadia and determined there's a 160ms (10 frame) delay currently? What is PS Now's delay?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
With the big announcement from Google yesterday I was really interested in trying some of the current streaming tech out there right now and fired up PS Now and started the Free 7 day trial.

And I have to say I'm actually pretty impressed by it. I played King of Fighters XIII, Virtua Fighter 5 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma all games that require fast input reading and reacting and the stream really held up well. I've played Ninja Gaiden Sigma dozens of times and honestly It felt pretty much like playing offline.

This has honestly only fueled my interest in Stadia as Google has way more resources than Sony does to pull a streaming gaming infrastructure off. The future tech of games seems super exciting to me. As long as pricing is right I'll 100% play DOOM Eternal on Stadia.

Anyone else find the tech behind PS Now interesting?

(P.S God do we need a new Virtua Fighter game. :( )

Great to see you gave it a chance. I have played a lot of Geforce Now and I always feel surprised when I look down on the TV and see a Shield TV while playing Resident Evil 7 and other games, instead of a traditional console or gaming PC.

Oct 28, 2017

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
3460648-4789903509-super.png

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...scription-services-generated-273m-in-q3-2018/

Wonder how this chart will look in the future, though if Sony bring things like Spider-Man and such to PSNow that could keep it going pretty well.

Ubisoft seem to be into this game streaming stuff since Onlive. I remember playing Assassin's Creed 2 on that. I tried a lot of things on Onlive, it was pretty cool. Watching random people play, the UI, and everything. It was just too ahead of it's time, and internet is still not there, in my area at least, darn data caps and low competition allowing the data caps.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Didn't Digital Foundry do a test with Stadia and determined there's a 160ms (10 frame) delay currently? What is PS Now's delay?

That was with Assassins Creed Odyssey running at 30fps on wifi. It will get better once the game is running at 60fps over a wired connection. One unknown factor was the display lag on the chromebook where the lag was measured.

Oct 29, 2017
That was with Assassins Creed Odyssey running at 30fps on wifi. It will get better once the game is running at 60fps over a wired connection. One unknown factor was the display lag on the chromebook where the lag was measured.
Would the input lag of the chromebook even matter if the controller is WiFi connected to the data center (or whatever it was that they said they did by utilizing a WiFi connected controller to minimize input lag)?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I did a week trial as well about a month ago. The experience was pretty good albeit with some hiccups. The only thing that concerns me with a streaming future is pricing.

Assuming devs/publishers are paid based on engagement time, then idk how games as they are stay viable.

Most players don't finish games.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Yes. I really like the service a lot but it seems a lot of people around here are very negative about it.
The only reason I am not subscribed is because they are mostly games I've already played and I almost never replay stuff.
Otherwise I would sub, no doubt.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3460648-4789903509-super.png

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...scription-services-generated-273m-in-q3-2018/

Wonder how this chart will look in the future, though if Sony bring things like Spider-Man and such to PSNow that could keep it going pretty well.

Ubisoft seem to be into this game streaming stuff since Onlive. I remember playing Assassin's Creed 2 on that. I tried a lot of things on Onlive, it was pretty cool. Watching random people play, the UI, and everything. It was just too ahead of it's time, and internet is still not there, in my area at least, darn data caps and low competition allowing the data caps.

Honestly I really expect Sony to pivot with the next generation console way harder into PS Now.

Yes. I really like the service a lot but it seems a lot of people around here are very negative about it.
The only reason I am not subscribed is because they are mostly games I've already played and I almost never replay stuff.
Otherwise I would sub

Same really. If it were a bit cheaper being able to have some PS3 favorites to play on a whim would be pretty fun. I figure though if a service like stadia focuses on current games I might be way more inclined to actually invest long term.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest difference between my time with PS Now vs Project Stream was how the games were compressed.

project stream is compressed in a way that really smoothed out the image and made it look like a YouTube video.

PS Now on the other hand felt more how a game normally looks running on a console.

Otherwise input lag in both was minimal and no other differences in experience.

So if people want to get an idea of how Stadia will play, it'll be pretty close to PS Now in terms of input lag.

Honestly I really expect Sony to pivot with the next generation console way harder into PS Now.

I guarantee a huge part of their PS5 reveal will be on PS Now advances + legacy console streaming.

Especially if Stadia takes off later this year.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah it was really good with killzone sf, but red dead 1 looked awful and lagged pretty bad, made my eyes bled.
I wonder ps3 games are not as good on PSNow because in my experience RDR1 seemed worse.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also surprised how good Playstation Vue is doing. They could allow Vue customers to access PSNow I bet, or give Vue customers a free game every now and then, just to get them using it more.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I also tried out the PS Now free trial since it became available in Scandinavia, and i agree that it worked pretty well. Its not something that i will subscribe too personally, but i think this type of game streaming can definitelly work in many cases.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
PS Now also runs fine when I try it, but be aware that it runs at 720p, while Stadia is supposedly 1080p for now.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It worked well for me too. Some ppl on here seem to like "projects" more than a working product.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would it be smart of Sony to just make packages for PS5? LIke get PSN+, PS Now and Vue for some yearly/Monthly sub? Or PSN+ and Now?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I use the 1 month sub off and on for ps now, and I like it. Works well for me. The reason I don't stay subbed is that I still own a PS3 to play games 'locally', plus Now is capped at 720p.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yes, i was really surprised when tried the beta, was like playing offline really, only some frames lost every now and then.
I didn't believe streaming would work (after trying geforce now) and, after the beta i think it is a viable option in the correct conditions.
A very different thing is the product that each of the actors will offer, from pricing to catalog, and everything now it's pure speculation.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Would the input lag of the chromebook even matter if the controller is WiFi connected to the data center (or whatever it was that they said they did by utilizing a WiFi connected controller to minimize input lag)?

Yes, "input lag" is really a bit of a misnomer, as it usually means the lag between user input and the corresponding action as seen on the screen. And the Chromebook adds its own delay to the latter part of the chain, even if it's not involved in the input per se.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah OP, I'm about to finally try PSNow too.

Will be interesting to see if streaming gains a foothold. As long as is optional, and please console makers, keep it optional, thanks.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an Ethernet plug on the back of the Stadia controller?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
With the right re-marketing push and a lower subscription price, Sony could probably kill it with PS Now on PS5. Hell they could do it now since its on PC. Looking back it, I'm kinda shocked at how many title there are available right now. Really tempted to play some PS3 titles but I'll until I can get better internet.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i will be trying the 7-day free trial.

Idk why people don't just try..

..also you dont even need a PlayStation for this..just an account and a laptop. :)

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Personal attacks against other members, previous warnings
Why do some of these posts sound like marketing?

Oct 27, 2017
I have tried PSNow and Geforce Now with Shield and both worked flawless, fast and without lag. So yes, i welcome Stadia and will try when available.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah ps now runs really well. Can't wait to see what Sony pull off when they launch it for the ps5. They are the Netflix of gaming with the added benefit to download some games directly.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it will work for some people. But offline already works now. So I'm not really excited to change things when disadvantage is the only potential.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well what do you know, same guys measured PSNow:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...laystation-nows-ps4-game-performance-analysed

TLDR: From 120ms (Super Stardust) to 188ms (Heavy Rain) on wi-fi. Slightly less with ethernet, good bit less locally.

IQ takes a hit.
In this case I think added latency (compared to the local experience) would be a better picture.

I don't recall all the numbers but I think it was 50ms for stadia and 66ms for psnow.

Though stadia does have an inherent advantage that is the possibility of running any game at 60fps or even higher which reduces it even further, whereas on a console the framerate is usually fixed

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Tried PS Now when it initially launched with the 7 day trial. Finished most of God of War Ascension and some Street Fighter IV. It worked better than I thought it would and I'm sure it has only improved over the years.

Initially, I could tell there was some input lag but I quickly got used to it. Even in street fighter iv. Now, I'm not very competitive at fighters so the experiences of others will be different but it proved to me that there is potential to the service. Not as a replacement to traditional consoles and PCs but as a supplement to it.

I thought of subscribing when the one year subscription was 100 bucks but currently have way too many games and too little time as it is to make it worthwhile.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Always wary of streaming as if my internet connection goes a bit slow I don't want my game kicked down to around 480p

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Some people have a good experience with psnow and some don't. It's going to be the same story for for microsoft and googles tbings as well. May be to a lesser extent, both of them have a larger data center presence than Sony and are more likely to have a data center closer to you.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'll toss in my short experience with the 7 day trial. I sampled a variety of games like Red Dead, Street Fighter, Sonic, Comix Zone, Gravity Rush and several others and didn't experience any perceptible lag or glitches. My only gripe with the service was the 720p resolution but I'm certain that will be ironed out once next gen hardware is available.

If I didn't have so much to play right now and in the near future I would've probably gone for the 1 year sub just to dabble here and there.

I'm located in Toronto and am running a gigabit connection.

EDIT.

Oh, and I guess the only other thing I wasn't expecting but should have was wait times to load into a game after selecting it. It makes perfect sense since the server hardware has to do the same work an actual console would to load into a game, but I didn't think about that until I was trying it. I'm hoping that future PS Now will help reduce load times at least on newer games. Dunno if much can be done for older games.

Noctizs

Jan 5, 2019
TX
I played Catherine on it on a trial and there was almost no lag but throughout my playthrough there were a lot of times quality dipped comparable to a 240p YouTube video and many times when I just got outright disconnected. I only get about 60Mb/s so I don't know if it was my internet or what but...

It's alright when it works. It'd be an even better service if they improve it, and if US companies could fix our slow ass internet speeds to make it a viable option for people that want it.

I also really like how they added the download function for some games but in the end I don't think I'd really use it again, I just like having my games physical (sometimes digital) and not having to worry about internet if I want to play a game. More options for people the better though.

Last edited: